Quality Products

William

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:46 pm
Taking into consideration cost, guarantees and utility, what do you think is best product ever made is?

William
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 534 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:00 pm
@William,
Public transportation. Unfortunately, the U.S. government has subsidized the auto industry since WWII. If the public invested in public transit like they do in privatized transit, many people would not pass on the convenience. The reason why public transit loses money in the U.S. is due to the fact that it is not supported as an equal transportation system. Also, by investing in high speed light rail, the need for the heavily subsidized air transit system could be largely eliminated, all while benefiting the environment.
William

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:21 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;69762 wrote:
Public transportation. Unfortunately, the U.S. government has subsidized the auto industry since WWII. If the public invested in public transit like they do in privatized transit, many people would not pass on the convenience. The reason why public transit loses money in the U.S. is due to the fact that it is not supported as an equal transportation system. Also, by investing in high speed light rail, the need for the heavily subsidized air transit system could be largely eliminated, all while benefiting the environment.

Thanks, Let me be a little more definitive. A product you can own and hold in your hand.

William
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:43 pm
@William,
Fine, in that case, the IPod/mp3 player. It lets you drown out all of the noise of the world, and offer a soundtrack to your life instead.
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:19 pm
@William,
Let's hope we get more responses. I'll let it sit for a while as to what I think.
William
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:20 pm
@William,
William;69757 wrote:
Taking into consideration cost, guarantees and utility, what do you think is best product ever made is?

William
A Martin Twelve string guitar.
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:24 pm
@William,
In this order; Gunpowder, penicillin, books.
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:32 am
@William,
In my opinion, it is the Zippo lighter and it's lifetime guarantee. You only have to buy ONE, and with reasonable care it will last you forever, (quality craftmanship) backed by the people who made the lighter. I often use this when comparing the Zippo with the BIC as an illustration of what life has become. When the BIC "disposable" lighter first came out, I thought how literally stupid. At that time the Zippo cost $4.95 as best I can remember and only required a little upkeep. (flint and fuel). A bit time consuming, but easily managed related to the value received. If it fell in disrepair, you could send it in to the manufacturer and they would "fix" it for free. I said then, the BIC, that cost a $1.00, would never see the light of day. Who would spend there hard money on something that was designed to be discarded. (planned obsolescence). Are we being played or what. Custom craftmanship has all but gone by the wayside as we compete to see who can create the cheapest, fastest, bigger or better product with little regard to the resources we are wasting and the trash that is building up as a result of the competition. The Cross Pen is another example of a quality product with a life time guarantee that also has a BIC alternative. Now look at our trash bins. Hmmmm? Ain't capitalism grand?

William

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Now, take that scenario and compare the Zippo with the human being; and the BIC to what we are now. Do we want to be Zippo's or Bic's? Think about it as you survey the dump.

Willliam
0 Replies