Zacrates

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 03:41 pm
@Zacrates,
That we all control it. It is somewhat true but not completely.
hue-man

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 04:42 pm
@Zacrates,
Zacrates;70879 wrote:
That we all control it. It is somewhat true but not completely.

Maybe control is the wrong word. What I meant was that we all have some affect on society and the world.
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:47 pm
@hue-man,
Two real types of freedom:

Absolute: the ability to do anything ones wants within their physical and mental ability to act. Everyone has this. The problem that people have with this is that they assume that the freedom to do what one wants comes without negative consequences. I have the freedom to go on a killing spree but I do not have the ability to do so without some sort of repercussion. It illogical to think that there are no consequences to ones actions, just as its illogical to think that If I jump, that I won't come back down to earth. If everyone has absolute freedom to act as one wills their actions and reactions to our actions are as inevitable as gravity.

Lawful: This freedom is what i think is spoken of in the U.S. constitution and other modern political documents. This a freedom from, not a freedom for. It is not the right as discussed above to do things without consequence. It is freedom from imposed social tyranny, it is freedom from those that would impose upon our physical security, it is freedom from those that would impose upon our mental, psychological, and spiritual security. It is an institutional freedom, a somewhat utilitarian freedom on a mass scale, which in no way structurally similar with absolute freedom. They are modes of 'freedom' that accomplish different things.

Lawful freedom provides the utilitarian protection for the institutionalized public from those who would exercise absolute freedom in a manner not approved of by the institutionalized public and their elected representatives. Lawful freedom provides the means with which the institutionalized public does not have to personally retaliate against the most heinous acts of absolute freedom.
Zacrates

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:49 pm
@GoshisDead,
This is a very good answer.

My conclusion from everything above:

There are two different types of freedom, absolute, and lawful freedom. Lawful freedom is safer than absolute freedom. The government gives us lawful freedom to protect us from people who commit un-lawful crimes, by prohibiting us to do certain things (weakening our absolute freedom), they are ensuring our safety, there for giving us the right to live.

So you can think of laws as things that are taking away your "rightful" freedoms like driving on whatever side of the rode you want to ( Smile ), or you can think of them as shields deflecting many projectiles being fired at you.
0 Replies