BrightNoon

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;81672 wrote:
No, bro, I'm reciting history.

As for your 'which is more likely', both options are grossly pessimistic. Neither, in all likelyhood, are the case. What is far more likely is that the government is staffed by fallible human beings, most of which intend to do what in their mind seems to be good. There does not have to be ill-will, much less systemic ill-will, involved for the outcome to be disaster. . People screw up. Especially when we are talking about tens of thousands of people with conflicting agendas.

Well, think that if you like. But I challenge you to read some of the books, especially autobiographies, written by the various 'power that be' over the years. They explain quite directly, and with pride, what they are doing. It has nothing to do with what they tell the public they're doing. It had nothing to do with the public welfare, with the interests of the U.S., etc. They are building something that they want to build, and they have the power to do it.

Uneccessary, artificially generated wars, depressions, and social upheavels are part of the process. I've gone into it before in more detail. No need to repeat myself here.

It seems to me that mankind is strangely and intensely vulnerable to powerful conspiracies amoung its leaders, because it is blind to them. The very scale of the deception, the hypocrisy, the criminality, makes it simply impossible to believe, and thus more likely to suceed. Very bitter irony indeed.

Hopefully I'm wrong, I'm not going to try to convince you.

nunc est bibendum

cheers
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 07:12 pm
@BrightNoon,
Like which ones? Jackson wrote no autobiography that I am aware of. Besides, autobiography is not always the most accurate presentation of the history - it is the history through the eyes and pride of the actors. Unless you know of some autobiography by the central bankers of the Panic of 1837 in which they claim to have purposely lost their personal fortunes for the sake of embarrassing Andrew Jackson, I don't see your point.
BrightNoon

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I'm not talking about Jackson, and I'm not talking about history. We'll have to debate the banking crisis during his term another time. If I may, I'd like to point your attention to what I think are more important, broader, but related issues. I'm talking about discovering the actual motives of the people in the highest positions of power. Or the actual motives and hopes of the intellectuals that they admire.

A few quick examples.

"For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will. If that is the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."

-David Rockefeller, Memoirs, pg. 405

"We shall have world government, whether or not we like it. The only question is whether world government will be achieved by conquest or consent."

-Paul Warburg in an address to the U.S. Senate on February 17th 1950

*Warburg was also a representative of the international banking house of Kuhn, Loeb and Co., a member of the group which wrote the Federal Reserve Act at a private resort, and, incidentally, the impetus for 'Daddy Warbucks'

""In this unhappy state of affairs, few people retain much confidence in the more ambitious strategies for world order that had wide backing a generation ago-'world federalism,' 'charter 'review,' and 'world peace through world law.'... If instant world government, Charter review, and a greatly strengthened International Court do not provide the answers, what hope for progress is there?... In short, the 'house of world order' would have to be built from the bottom up rather than from the top down. It will look like a great 'booming, buzzing confusion,' to use William James' famous description of reality, but an end run around national sovereignty, eroding it piece by piece, will accomplish much more than the old-fashioned frontal assault."</U>

- Richard Gardener, member of the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations, "The Hard Road to World Order", (Foreign Affairs, 1974) p. 557-558The Anglo-American Establishment

"I know of the operation of this network because I have studied it for twenty years and was permitted for two years during the 1960's to examine its papers and secret records. I have no aversion to it or to most of its aims and have for much of my life been close to it and to many of its instruments. In general my chief difference of opinion is that it wishes to remain unknown."

Carroll Quigley, pg. 326, Tragedy and HopeTragedy and Hope

EDIT: My point, to make things clear, is that critical failures in government policy, such as those that resulted in the present crisis, do not have to looked at as failures, due to incomptence, human falibility, etc. Some 'failures' may be looked upon as successes for the elite, steps foreward in a private agenda which has little to nothing to do with the things we elect them to accomplish.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 09:35 pm
@BrightNoon,
Well, I think the fed should have to give an accounting for the 2 trillion dollars of liquidity they have injected into the US economy.
It would also be nice to know how they plan to pulll it back out when inflation begins to show up?
BrightNoon

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 10:50 am
@prothero,
Didymos Thomas, I'd love to hear your opinion on all this. Did I scare you off with my tin foil hat? :whoa-dude: :bigsmile: I hope not. What do you think these quotes indicate? It seems to me to confirm my notion that there is an 'open conspiracy' (to use H.G. Well's phrase) amoung the elite, especially the financial, especially the banking, elite to create a 'new world order' (to quote Well's again): i.e. a planned society run from the top down.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 09:58 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;81918 wrote:
Didymos Thomas, I'd love to hear your opinion on all this. Did I scare you off with my tin foil hat? :whoa-dude: :bigsmile: I hope not. What do you think these quotes indicate? It seems to me to confirm my notion that there is an 'open conspiracy' (to use H.G. Well's phrase) amoung the elite, especially the financial, especially the banking, elite to create a 'new world order' (to quote Well's again): i.e. a planned society run from the top down.

No, no, friend, I've just been busy.

First, you must be talking about history. You take quotes that go back decades - this is history. Okay, okay, a bit of a quibble, but let's be clear about this point: we are definitely talkin' history.

Second, the bulk of your view, thus expressed, seems to rest on the work of Mr. Quigley. Not to disparage him as an historian entirely, I think we must also note that his conspiratorial fancies are met with intense skepticism by his peers - when he published and today. Unfortunately, this is a decent historian who's work has been adopted by conspiracy theorists who focus almost wholly on Quigley's personal fascination with conspiracy - I think this is mistaken.

The mistake we run into, and the mistake I think Quigley sometimes commits, a mistake compounded by conspiratorial minded readers, is that the trend is applied to individual people and their aims.

The hope for "a more integrated global political and economic structure" is not some grand conspiracy scheme, but rather the natural ambition of a man who works with global finance. And I really have no idea how this relates to our previous conversation - and I'm not sure what has brought us to this point.

I will not deny "conspiracy" for the sake of power - this is as ancient as mankind. One near impossible task is to follow the political and economic "conspiracies" of Renaissance Italy. What we have today pales in comparison.

Trying to tie this into the rest of the thread: what we see when we look at these "conspiracies", which is a poor choice of terms as 'business' or 'strategy' better captures the sentiment, is that they are hatched in an effort to bolster personal power and wealth, not dismantle it for the players. Going back to 1837, those bankers would be the most idiotic and ignorant of history's countless 'conspirators' if they, as you argued, purposefully caused their own demise to discredit Jackson. Besides, there is no evidence of such a plan, either by individuals nor groups, and instead there is ample evidence to the contrary - such that no serious scholar debates that Jackson mishandled the matter entirely, and for the worse.

To go back to Mr. Quigley, he writes from sources available only to himself. He supposedly had access to documents which may very well not exist at all. His conspiratorial bent is a scholarly weakness, which is evident in the results - outrageous conspiracy theories. Warburg's opinion was not strange in his time, not strange to bankers or anyone else. That he happens to have held such a belief is not evidence of some secret plot to hatch world government, but evidence of period speculative oddities. This is quite normal throughout history. Besides, when compared to Social Darwinism of the era, Warburg's oddity of belief is quite mild, don't you think? To interpret such remarks as evidence of conspiracy is, I think, to miss the context of the era, which was rife with such wild speculation.
BrightNoon

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 11:23 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
For the moment, I'll leave the question of 1837 aside. I don't know nearly anough about it to have an educated debate. Perhaps in that instance I'm guilty of applying my preconceptions too broadly or without proper evidence. However, I think you are guilty of the same. I'm confronted everywhere, and was once plagued myself, by the tendency to attribute too much to chance, or to simply find any major, lasting, more than episodic or anomalous, conspiracy too incredible to believe.

I will agree that we are dealing with history, but not in the usual sense. I think a major problem confronts anyone trying to investigate a possible conspiracy when dealing with traditional history. It's not that history as written is false, only incomplete. I have no doubt that x and y happened in some year as a resulted of c. The questions that interest me at the moment, are who was involved in that event, what personal motives might they have had, who were they associated with, etc? The idea that history is the product of grand, impersonal trends, and the tendency to try to quantify historical factors and processess, is very modern and very misguided in my opinion. There is a place for that rather scientific approach, but history should better recognize the role of individuals in shaping developments. In what we might call the post-modern world, the world of faux, academic-nauseating 'tolerance' and 'diversity,' we spend so much time studying the role of oppressed minority leaders, cultural figures, journalists, etc. If these individuals on the margins of the societal hierarchy (of power) are credited with such influence, why is it so strange to credit the people at the very apex of the hierarchy with similiar or greater influence? And, most importantly, conscious, deliberate influence, as opposed to an abstracted, unconscious influence as a representative of the age. Why do we assume that the ultimate structures of power in the modern world work in an ad hoc fashion? Why is anyone who speaks of grand plans or agendas among the elite of the world labelled a conspiracy theorist and a whackadoo? If someone provides quotations, for example, from the mouth of one or another of the elite in question, indicating the existance of a goal or a plan or an agenda seperate from the official one, why is that discounted as an anomoly? Is it because that does not constitute evidence of a grand, impersonal trend, such as industrialization, but rather the opinion of a single man? I think that is the reason, and a very silly one. Again, today we greatly underestimate the role of individuals, especially the individuals who can be clearly documated to have a vast, overwhelming majority of the wealth and political influence. It seems to me a weird mental blindness.

Anyway, enough pontificating. You discount Quigley because his work have birth to alot of crazy conspracy theories, which in turn are crazy because Quigley's work is false, which is the case because it gave birth to alot of crazy conspiracy theories...and round and round we go. You are obviously correct is stating that Quigley's sources are secret and cannot be examined now in order to confirm or deny his claims. However, I find it extremely unlikely that the man who wrote Tragedy and Hope, an absurdly long, dry, unimpassioned, pedantic, and supremely well researched scholarly book on world history would simply make up evidence.

However, let's assume that Quigley did not have access to private records to which we do not, as he stated. Let's assume that was a lie, an expression of vanity, and that he simply made up the rest of it, including the absurdly long, dry, pedantic, unimpassioned, and really boring, description of the organization of the various groups and people involved in the Anglo-American Establishment. If that's the case, and we ignore Quigley, what of that quote from Rockefeller's autobiographical memoirs? Is that not an admission of almost verbatim what Quigley described?

Let me be clear about another thing. The handful of quotes I posted are far from evidence of a grand conspiracy among the elite of the world, about a century old, to create a world collectivist state under their control. I chose a few of the juiciest, stand-alone quotes I could think of and posted those. I hoped they would provoke some curiosity. If Rockefeller, e.g., is not talking about creating a new international order controlled by high finance, what exactly is he talking about? Why did Clinton choose to mention this particular professor in his speech, especially in light of Quigley's constant quotation by the 'conspiracy theory' crowd?

I look around and see far too many coincidences.
Joe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:49 am
@BrightNoon,
This is How you handle every authority that you disagree with..... Dont do what they tell you. Thats it. Doesnt mean your a bad person, just in the minority and the vulnerable. But I think thats how things change.

If the Government is allowing this corruption and is a part of it, you could stop paying federal taxes. Of course most people find they need a venue of patriotism and so the next thing to do would be to invest the money into your community through personal endeavors and actions. Although this is a very inconvenient task. Got to keep step, right? ha ha. Thats the whole problem Ive finally come to the conclusion of the truth movement and activists. Its good talk, until you discuss removing the entire problem. What would people do without the label of Politics? :eek:
BrightNoon

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 12:06 pm
@Joe,
Joe;82041 wrote:
This is How you handle every authority that you disagree with..... Dont do what they tell you. Thats it. Doesnt mean your a bad person, just in the minority and the vulnerable. But I think thats how things change.

If the Government is allowing this corruption and is a part of it, you could stop paying federal taxes. Of course most people find they need a venue of patriotism and so the next thing to do would be to invest the money into your community through personal endeavors and actions. Although this is a very inconvenient task. Got to keep step, right? ha ha. Thats the whole problem Ive finally come to the conclusion of the truth movement and activists. Its good talk, until you discuss removing the entire problem. What would people do without the label of Politics? :eek:

I don't know what you mean by 'what would you do without the label of politics?' Are you asking what would happen to the truth movement once the entire problem is removed or solved? It would disband with joy I suppose. Also, I don't think most people pay their taxes to satisfy their innate patriotism; they pay in order to avoid being brutalized by the Farmers Generale...I mean the IRS. I'm afraid that we are well beyond simple disobedience. It's not so much that the government is making us do things, which we could. albeit with penalities, refuse to do; the government is doing things to us.
Joe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 04:35 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;82113 wrote:
I don't know what you mean by 'what would you do without the label of politics?' Are you asking what would happen to the truth movement once the entire problem is removed or solved? It would disband with joy I suppose. Also, I don't think most people pay their taxes to satisfy their innate patriotism; they pay in order to avoid being brutalized by the Farmers Generale...I mean the IRS. I'm afraid that we are well beyond simple disobedience. It's not so much that the government is making us do things, which we could. albeit with penalities, refuse to do; the government is doing things to us.

Hello Brightnoon,

When I say Without the label of politics, I should have said without politics. I agree the Government is doing more then just Things to us, They are starting to do everything they can to us. I agree. Its Absurd To even think of Just taking Politics out of the equation, but ask yourself, How then, would people handle this situation? Without Violence I hope, knowing that it does no good and only disrupts the machine. I'm talking about taking the truth movement and saying If you dont like the Governments Power over you, STOP DOING WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO. thats all you can do. Create your world. But that wont happen because that would mean real change and real confrontation. People like how it is and so they dont wanna give it up. Which is fine and understandable, but if were gonna talk like men who believe in things and yet ignore the only real solutions, then this movement as you can tell is just a "ok" effort. But dont worry I think that People can only be pushed so far.

peace
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 04:41 pm
@BrightNoon,
No, the Rockefeller quote is nothing even approaching the conspiracy Quigley asserts. He was talking about a world, much like what we see today, where international trading and exchange is more streamlined and efficient. In his time, managing international trade was far more complex and bulky to administer. And that was one of my points: we have to be mindful of the historical context. His words in 2009 mean something different than they did in his own time.

Nor did I entirely write-off Quigley. But one lone historian, who is nearly universally dismissed with respect to conspiracy theories by peers, is hardly solid ground upon which to build a thesis, much less a pervasive world view.

As for your characterization of my historical outlook, you could not be more incorrect. I gave examples of personal, deeply interested conspiracy - namely in Renaissance Italy. The personal ambitions of people like Julius II is not explained by "grand, impersonal trends", but by the ambition of individuals. But this world government style conspiracy just does not have solid ground. Maybe there is such a striving, but as yet no one has managed to produce sufficient evidence for such a theory to be taken seriously. And that's what we work from, what we can know.

As for your explanation of "traditional history", you are incorrect. "Traditional history", whatever that could mean, is concerned with "who was involved in that event, what personal motives might they have had, who were they associated with". That's the bulk of historical research - your high school textbooks were the result of that information coalesced into a condensed form that could be sweepingly covered in a short period of time. When you study an area of history in greater depth, in college for example, the people involved and their personal motivations and affiliations are not lost in the lectures. Heck, that's been the bulk of my notes beyond core-curriculum history courses. That's what historians study, by and large.

I appreciate your interest and tenacity, but you're jumping the gun.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:00 pm
@Joe,
Didymos Thomas,

I think you are seeing what you want to see in Rockefeller's quote. What do you think global governance means (not in the quote, but a common term these days used in the same context)? What is integration of political and economic systems? He is talking about what is being done now, and what has been gradually evolving for decades: treaties and agreements which surrender one or another aspect of national sovereignty to an international organization, which is controlled by high finance. The Bank of England has been a creature of private banking since the early 19th century; the Federal Reserve was written by represenatives of the major New York and Euopean banks. That is documented history! Who controls the IMF, the World Bank? Gee...I wonder. Rockefeller is a private banker, whose banking house is mentioned as an integral part of the 'anglo-american establishment' in Quigley's work. Frankly, you have no basis whatever for discounting him as an historian. He received a great deal of criticism from his peers? Who exactly? On what basis? Evidence or just disbelief that there could be such a thing?

How many books do you think were written about the various conspiracies among the Italian princes, the pope, the doge, etc. during that age? It's easy to say that there's abounding evidence five or six centuries later. There is more than enough evidence that there is 'a secret cabal (of finance oligarchs) working to create a more integrated global political and economic structure' that is not motivated by a mundane desire for better business conditions, greater efficiency, etc., bur rather control for the sake of itself and in order to create a global collectivist state.

Here's another peice of evidence which perhaps you might find more credible. See the text of the Reese Commitee Hearings, especially the testimoney of Norman Dodd, research director appointed by Congressman B. Carroll Reese.

The "common interest (of the foundations) lies in the planning and control of certain aspects of American life through a combination of the Federal Government and education."

"...they seem to have used their influence to transform education into an instrument for social change. We wish to stress the importance of questioning change only when it might involve developments detrimental to the interests of the American people, or when it is promoted by a relatively small and tightly knit group backed by disproportionately large amounts of money which could threaten the american ideal of competition. In summary, our study of these entities and their relationship to each other seems to warrant the inference that they constitute a highly efficient, functioning whole. Its product is apparently an educational curriculum designed to indoctrinate the American student from matriculation to the consumation of his education. It contrasts sharply with the freedom of the individual as the conrerstone of our social structure. For this freedom, it seems to substitute the group, the will of the majority, and a centralized power to enforce this will-presumably in the interest of all."

Also see Foundations: their power and influence, written a few years later by Rene A. Wormser, general council for the Reese Commission.

"'An unparalleled amount of power is concentrated increasingly in the hands of an interlocking and self-perpetuating group. Unlike the power of corporate management, it is unchecked by stockholders; unlike the power of government, it is unchecked by the people; unlike the power of churches, it is unchecked by any firmly established canons of value."

Also see the interview of Norman Dodd, conducted by G.E. Griffin in 1982 shortly before Dodd's death
rare 1982 norman dodd - Google Videos

An excerpt:
"Rowan Gaither was at that time president of the Ford Foundation, and Mr. Gaither had sent for me...asked me to call upon him at his office, which I did, and on arrival, after a few ammenities, Mr. Gaither said, 'Mr. Dodd, we've asked you to come up here today because we thought that possibly, off the record, you would tell us why the Congress is interested in the activities of foundations such as ourselves,' and before I could think of how I would reply to that statement, Mr. Gaither then went on voluntarily and stated, 'Mr. Dodd, all of us have a hand in the making of policies here, and have had experience, either with the OSS during the war, or the European Economic Administration after the war, we've had experience operatiing under directives, and these directives eminate and did eminate from the White House. Now we still operate under just such directives; would you like to know what the substance of these directives is?' I said, 'Yes Mr. Gaither I'd like very much to know,' wherepon he made this statement to me, namely. 'Mr. Dodd, we are here to operate in response to similiar directives, the substance of which is that, we shall use our grant making power so to alter life in the Uniated States that it can be comfortably merged with the Soviet Union.' Well, parenthetically, Mr. Griffin, I nearly fell off the chair...My response to Mr. Gaither then was that 'Well Mr. Gaither I can now answer your first question. You forced the Congress of the United States to spend $150,000 to find out what you just told me...of course legally your entititled to make grants for this purpose, but I dont think you're entitled to withhold that information from the people of the country to whom you're indebted for you tax exception, so why don't you tell the people what you just told me?' To which he responded, 'we would not think of doing any such thing.'"
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:53 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
I think you are seeing what you want to see in Rockefeller's quote.

I am taking his quote as it is - notice that I am not the one suggesting that the quote suggests a conspiracy for international government.

BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
What do you think global governance means (not in the quote, but a common term these days used in the same context)? What is integration of political and economic systems? He is talking about what is being done now, and what has been gradually evolving for decades: treaties and agreements which surrender one or another aspect of national sovereignty to an international organization, which is controlled by high finance.

None of this is new. That is what must be understood - we've seen this same this occur in the west since the Renaissance. It's old politic at work.

Yet sovereign nations persist. So, we have to ask, if we are to make credible this concern of international government, what has changed in these tactics and why do these changes make international government, ie the eradication of truly sovereign states, more likely?

And we must also consider contemporary factors outside of big business and international treaty. Namely, the nature of the foremost nation states. Do you imagine, for instance, that China is approaching unification in some international conspiratorial government? And if so, upon what evidence?

BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
The Bank of England has been a creature of private banking since the early 19th century; the Federal Reserve was written by represenatives of the major New York and Euopean banks. That is documented history! Who controls the IMF, the World Bank? Gee...I wonder.

Yes, I am familiar with this history. However, given the history, it seems more than a stretch to suggest that this trend leads to international government and the dissolution of effective nation states (not necessarily the states themselves, but their ability to govern).

One serious problem with this international government via treaty thesis is the consistency of nation states ignoring their international treaties - The US and China are habitually engaged in practices that stand in direct opposition to their international agreements.

This is an important part of conspiratorial politic that cannot be overlooked: that parties practice and ignore aspects of agreement at will.

BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
Rockefeller is a private banker, whose banking house is mentioned as an integral part of the 'anglo-american establishment' in Quigley's work. Frankly, you have no basis whatever for discounting him as an historian. He received a great deal of criticism from his peers? Who exactly? On what basis? Evidence or just disbelief that there could be such a thing?

Again, I have not entirely discounted Quigley as an historian. What I have done is advance the remarkably conservative claim that when a work is based purely on esoteric "evidence", that there is absolutely no reason to accept the claims. Unless those supposed secret documents are made available for further study, any claims relying on those supposed documents must not be accepted by people who are interested in an accurate portrayal of history.

Conspiracy was a minor facet of Quigley's work, hence I do not entirely discount him as an historian. As for his conspiratorial bent, you can check the Wikipedia: "Quigley's views are particularly notable because the majority of reputable academic historians profess skepticism about conspiracy theories."

Historians are a cautious group, as they should be. Quigley went too far when he wrote "history" based on unproduced documentation. You have to have evidence in history, and he could offer none for his conspiracy theories. And evidence remains the crux of our debate, here.

BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
How many books do you think were written about the various conspiracies among the Italian princes, the pope, the doge, etc. during that age?

None, because publications had to be sanctioned by the Church. The printing industry of that period is not analogous to the same industry of today. However, there were many works of the period that allude to those practices, particularly in the works of that brilliant satirist of the time, Erasmus. The intrigues were common knowledge, just as it is common knowledge today that big business uses dubious practices to promote their own wealth and power.

All you have to do is look at the extensive notes taken down by Papal recorders and other chroniclers of the period such as this fellow:
Francesco Guicciardini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And if you do, you'll get a remarkably clear picture of the extent of the intrigues. Barbara Tuchman in The March of Folly, which is a great book by the way, covers this remarkable period.

BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
It's easy to say that there's abounding evidence five or six centuries later. There is more than enough evidence that there is 'a secret cabal (of finance oligarchs) working to create a more integrated global political and economic structure' that is not motivated by a mundane desire for better business conditions, greater efficiency, etc., bur rather control for the sake of itself and in order to create a global collectivist state.

And here you over extend your claim: there is no doubt that groups, not a singular one but many, work to create a more integrated system of worldwide finance, and that they do this for the purposes of extending their wealth and power. That's big business, always has been. To say they want a global collectivist state is simply beyond any evidence, unless you take seriously the claims of Quigley who makes such claims based on evidence no one else has ever seen, which is not a practice a serious historian engages in.

BrightNoon;82193 wrote:
Here's another peice of evidence which perhaps you might find more credible. See the text of the Reese Commitee Hearings, especially the testimoney of Norman Dodd, research director appointed by Congressman B. Carroll Reese.

Yeah, big business tries to mold society. You're playing out old information, but for a new thesis that the information does not support. Dodd's testimony is directed at a particular group, and does not support some worldwide conspiracy of international finance for the sake of a worldwide collectivist state.

This is an essentially American group, with some European influence. Further, this American group, while small and elite, does not exercise the sort of control necessary to get even close to the goals you ascribe to them.

Look, I am not going to argue that big business does not have sinister intentions. They do. But to go so far as you have is beyond any evidence. There is ample of evidence of corruption and maligning influence, but a push for a global collectivist state is non-existent in any serious form.

Again, I appreciate your distrust of these wealthy power-hungry pigs. I share that distrust. But you will only discredit yourself when you allow passion to run you wild into far flung theories that are unsubstantiated. If you want to effectively speak against the abuses of the perversely disproporionately wealthy, stick with what we know - there's plenty of undoubted fact upon which to crucify these maniacs.
BrightNoon

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 10:44 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;82203 wrote:
None of this is new. That is what must be understood - we've seen this same this occur in the west since the Renaissance. It's old politic at work...Yet sovereign nations persist. So, we have to ask, if we are to make credible this concern of international government, what has changed in these tactics and why do these changes make international government, ie the eradication of truly sovereign states, more likely?

What has made globalization possible? The world is smaller than is used to be. What, in my opinion, gave a new unity of purpose to the old politics of power and wealth was (in no particular order) 1) the improvements in communication and transportation, which have faciliated international cooperation and made members of the extreme upper class, already more loyal to one another than to their respective nations, increasingly untethered to any geographical unit, 2) the rise of modern science, including the social sciences, and especially behavioral psychology, which has allowed long-standing mechanisms for control of the masses to be employed far more efficiently and precisely, and ironically, 3) the awakening of the masses and their liberation from the old feudalist or absolutist systems, along with the rise of the concepts of democracy, marxism, etc. That last point requires futher explanation. Obviously, I recognize the end of feudalism or absolutism as a good thing. My point is that, if in fact we are still under the thumb of a sort of aristocracy, it has become much more difficult to extricate ourselves from that than it was for our forebearers to rid themselves of a more visible aristocracy. As Goethe so wisely said, 'no people are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.' The most pernicious sort of tyranny might be one of which the oppressed are unaware; it cannot be overthrown if it is not ackowledged to exist.

Quote:
And we must also consider contemporary factors outside of big business and international treaty. Namely, the nature of the foremost nation states. Do you imagine, for instance, that China is approaching unification in some international conspiratorial government? And if so, upon what evidence?

I think you fundementally misunderstand what I'm saying. I don't believe there is some dark room filled with brandy quaffing Mr. Burns look-a-likes in every country in the world trying to execute a single master plan. Far from it. What I am trying to describe is more of a loose cabal, a private club of sorts with certain annual events, certain official meeting places, officers of a sort, general goals and common interests, which decides, as a group, what to do, and those decisions change with events, and there are disagreements, etc. A word from finance might be most appropriate: consortium. I see no evidence that China is approaching union in some world state. I have little doubt that the people attempting to create a supra-national political and economic union of north America (the same people who have created a supra-national political and economic union of Europe) would like to eventually incorporate China, or India, or Morroco for that matter, but they aren't all-powerful or omnipresent. I can only object to the moves that I can see. The people who criticize so called 'conspiracy theories' seem, in my experience, to have the wildest and most fantastic ideas about what constitutes a conspiracy. If it's not everywhere and infinitely menacing and strong, it's not actually a conspiracy, and if someone would claim that is those things, that person is nuts.

Quote:
Yes, I am familiar with this history. However, given the history, it seems more than a stretch to suggest that this trend leads to international government and the dissolution of effective nation states (not necessarily the states themselves, but their ability to govern)...One serious problem with this international government via treaty thesis is the consistency of nation states ignoring their international treaties - The US and China are habitually engaged in practices that stand in direct opposition to their international agreements...This is an important part of conspiratorial politic that cannot be overlooked: that parties practice and ignore aspects of agreement at will.

Taken alone, the fact that private interests control the major central banks of the world does not, as you say, prove the existance of a conspiracy to create a world collectivist state. Obviously not. However, when one then proves that these same financial interests are advocating in articles, books, etc. the creation of an international state, and likewise appluading and funding totalitarianism all over the world, one should begin asking serious questions, such as 'who is running the government and for what purpose?'

As I said, these people aren't deities. The U.S. and China do indeed violate agreements, but would you say that the U.S. is more or less bound to internatiional agreements than it was 10 years ago, 20, 30, 40? There is a progression.

Quote:
Again, I have not entirely discounted Quigley as an historian. What I have done is advance the remarkably conservative claim that when a work is based purely on esoteric "evidence", that there is absolutely no reason to accept the claims. Unless those supposed secret documents are made available for further study, any claims relying on those supposed documents must not be accepted by people who are interested in an accurate portrayal of history. Conspiracy was a minor facet of Quigley's work, hence I do not entirely discount him as an historian. As for his conspiratorial bent, you can check the Wikipedia: "Quigley's views are particularly notable because the majority of reputable academic historians profess skepticism about conspiracy theories." Historians are a cautious group, as they should be. Quigley went too far when he wrote "history" based on unproduced documentation. You have to have evidence in history, and he could offer none for his conspiracy theories. And evidence remains the crux of our debate, here.

I quite understand why most historians would discount Quigley's account of the anglo-american establishment. That obviously doesn't prove he's incorrect. I'm not asking that you provide proof of a negative, that would be silly and intellectually dishonest. What I am asking is for you to tell me, or quote me someone who has already thought the matter through, why Quigley would simply invent all this? Why? For what reason? Also, I ask you to take a quick look through Tragedy and Hope if you never have. I can't believe that someone as meticulous and Q. would write about something so important based on a hunch or an untrustworhty source, as opposed to the documents of the organizations in question, as he claimed. I don't blame historians for not believing him, but I don't agree with them.

Quote:
None, because publications had to be sanctioned by the Church. The printing industry of that period is not analogous to the same industry of today. However, there were many works of the period that allude to those practices, particularly in the works of that brilliant satirist of the time, Erasmus. The intrigues were common knowledge, just as it is common knowledge today that big business uses dubious practices to promote their own wealth and power. All you have to do is look at the extensive notes taken down by Papal recorders and other chroniclers of the period...And if you do, you'll get a remarkably clear picture of the extent of the intrigues. Barbara Tuchman in The March of Folly, which is a great book by the way, covers this remarkable period.

My point exactly. There is some coverage in contemporary texts of the various plots and intrigues, but mostly a common knowledge and inference. What is different today with regard to this new conspiracy? There is no less evidence. You simply find the Italian writers, and Erasmus, more believable than the various, respectable, people who have written books documenting the modern conspiracy. Time lends credibility.

Quote:
And here you over extend your claim: there is no doubt that groups, not a singular one but many, work to create a more integrated system of worldwide finance, and that they do this for the purposes of extending their wealth and power. That's big business, always has been. To say they want a global collectivist state is simply beyond any evidence, unless you take seriously the claims of Quigley who makes such claims based on evidence no one else has ever seen, which is not a practice a serious historian engages in.

Let's set Quigley aside for now, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.Testimony presented in a congressional hearing has no value as evidence? Testimony which explicitly states that the goal, among others, of the foundations was to move the U.S. in the direction of collectivism so that it could be merged with the society of the USSR? Or books written by people involved in investigations of the matter? Rene Wormser was in fact an avowed socialist and a critic of the goals of the Reese Commission, and yet she came to the same conclusions as Dodd and the rest of them. How do you explain that? Why would she invent such a thing?

Quote:
Dodd's testimony is directed at a particular group, and does not support some worldwide conspiracy of international finance for the sake of a worldwide collectivist state.

Dodd reaches the the conlcusion that all three of the major tax except foundations have this same goal and that they are a 'highly efficient, functioning whole.' You realize that means Ford, Rockefeller, and Carnegie? That's a pretty good slice of international finance and industry.

Quote:
This is an essentially American group, with some European influence. Further, this American group, while small and elite, does not exercise the sort of control necessary to get even close to the goals you ascribe to them.

Again, not so small a segment of global wealth and power is represented here, and this is only one aspect of the 'case.' Dodd also testified, or presentred in his report, that these foundations actively sought to place 'their men' in positions of political and intellectual power, included but not limited to secretaries of state, secretaries of defense, ambassadors and dimplomats, deans of major east coast universities, chairmen of important NGO's involving education and public policy, editors of newspapers, journals, publishing companies, etc. Look at the revolving door between wall street and washington. The present and former secretaries of the treasury came from Goldman Sachs for god sakes!

Most of the work toward international government in this hemisphere is done by the Council of the Americas, Americas Society, Forum of the Americas, Institute for International Economics, Trilateral Commission, and the Council of Foreign Relations. David Rockefeller either founded, chairs, or sits on the board of every one of those organizations. Read afew of their reports. There are two notable things in them. First, they all favor increased international cooperation, standardization of eocnomic regulations, an increased role for supranational organizations, etc. Second, very often one will find a proposal in some report which shortly thereafter becomes law, or fact. Curious, no? I'm sure it's all coincidental..

So no, there isn't definitive proof. It's not 1+1=2, but it is 1+x=2. What do think x is?
0 Replies