Do Churches Deserve Tax Breaks?

Khethil

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:03 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
These certainly display why you are confused. You are concentrating on the "religion" issue, when, for both of your scenarios, religion matters nothing to your justification.

Yes, I'm one of those strange individuals who associate "churches" and "religion"... go figure :sarcastic:

Sarcasm aside, I think I get your point: That tax breaks - being deserved or not - shouldn't rely so much on their nature as their behavior. If this be close to your point, then I'm with you.

Thanks
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:15 am
@Khethil,
Religion is what differentiates a church from any other organization or club, and so if a church gets special treatment, it would be because of its religious affiliation.

You are focusing on the typical tangential qualities of a church (charitable, community based) that can be fulfilled by any organization, while ignoring the necessary quality of a church (religion) that cannot be fulfilled by any organization.

Special treatment requires special qualities, and the only special quality a church possesses is that of religion. So to clear confusion, ask yourself if religion is a quality that deserves special consideration from government.
Khethil

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 09:32 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Hey FTP, thanks for engaging,

You are focusing on the typical tangential qualities of a church (charitable, community based) that can be fulfilled by any organization, while ignoring the necessary quality of a church (religion) that cannot be fulfilled by any organization.

Yes, and purposefully so. Those aspects you point out (charity, support of a community) are - to me - the only real benefit such an entity could provide.

So to clear confusion, ask yourself if religion is a quality that deserves special consideration from government.

Absolutely not, in my judgment.

Interesting perspective you have. I view the generic (and perhaps steriotypical) qualities of fellowship, support, charity, giving and community support as the only reason any such organizations could have any basis for consideration. Do you place worth in the religious teachings/reinforcements these places provide?

Thanks again, nice discussion.

-----
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Yes, and purposefully so. Those aspects you point out (charity, support of a community) are - to me - the only real benefit such an entity could provide.

Yes, me too.

Quote:
Interesting perspective you have. I view the generic (and perhaps steriotypical) qualities of fellowship, support, charity, giving and community support as the only reason any such organizations could have any basis for consideration. Do you place worth in the religious teachings/reinforcements these places provide?

Many would like to say that these qualities you list are inherent and based in the religious attitudes of churches. It seems to me, however, that these qualities are inherent in humanity to begin with, and church is simply one (albeit the most prominent) manner in which these innate tendencies manifest themselves.

If religion and churches did not exist, they would be replaced by something similar, and the exploiters would be there to pounce all the same.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:23 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;27654 wrote:

Then considering those community services, and that churches do not go into business with the priority of turning profit, they could be tax-exempt as non-profit organizations. I do not know the tax codes, but I believe they would still pay more taxes as a NPO than they do under the current provisions; this would be fair, imo.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 01:37 pm
@Dewey phil,
Quote:
Giving churches tax breaks violates the separation of church and state.

How so? The first amendment prohibits government from establishing an official religion, from preferring one religion over another, and from preferring religion to no religion. Giving churches and similar religious institutions tax breaks does not establish an official religion, does not make one religion preferred over another, nor do tax breaks to churches promote religion over no religion. I do not see the violation.

Quote:
Can you really "rest easily" with that sort of activism? Surely you would not expect the PACs to acr independent of the pastors' wishes. Don't you think that Justin may have been on track when he said: "Churches may as well get into laundering money because that's sort of what it is."

What is wrong with a Pastor heading up a PAC? What's wrong with politically active ministers? Does anyone seriously think that Martin Luther King, Jr. was out of line by using the pulpit for political causes?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
How so? The first amendment prohibits government from establishing an official religion, from preferring one religion over another, and from preferring religion to no religion. Giving churches and similar religious institutions tax breaks does not establish an official religion, does not make one religion preferred over another, nor do tax breaks to churches promote religion over no religion. I do not see the violation.

Tax breaks for churches, simply because they are churches, transfers a greater tax burden on to all secular organizations that do not receive the tax exemption.

If we have two charitable social groups, say Kiwanis and First Baptist Church who perform the same community functions. Providing a tax break to the church but not the Kiwanis is preferential treatment based on religious affiliation.

And the Bill of Rights is neither a moral code nor a guideline for all government.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:26 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
MFtP - That's all well and fine, but I still do not see a First Amendment violation.

As it stands, charitable organizations receive tax exemptions depending upon how much of their income is spent on charitable activities. Most Kiwanis clubs have some measure of tax exempt status.

So, we have a system wherein religious organizations and secular charitable organizations can receive tax exempt status. The system is far from perfect, but the tax exempt status of churches does not seem to violate the First Amendment, even if said status does violate the political philosophy of some people - for example, the tax exempt status of many churches violates my philosophy of politics, even though I do not see a First Amendment violation involved.

Again, the First Amendment prohibits government from establishing an official religion, from preferring one religion over another, and from preferring religion to no religion. Giving churches and similar religious institutions tax breaks does not establish an official religion, does not make one religion preferred over another, nor do tax breaks to churches promote the practice religion over no religious practice.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:43 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
YouTube - Heretic Creflo Dollar's Excuses Versus the Truth!
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:10 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
MFtP - That's all well and fine, but I still do not see a First Amendment violation.

As it stands, charitable organizations receive tax exemptions depending upon how much of their income is spent on charitable activities. Most Kiwanis clubs have some measure of tax exempt status.

So, we have a system wherein religious organizations and secular charitable organizations can receive tax exempt status. The system is far from perfect, but the tax exempt status of churches does not seem to violate the First Amendment, even if said status does violate the political philosophy of some people - for example, the tax exempt status of many churches violates my philosophy of politics, even though I do not see a First Amendment violation involved.

Again, the First Amendment prohibits government from establishing an official religion, from preferring one religion over another, and from preferring religion to no religion. Giving churches and similar religious institutions tax breaks does not establish an official religion, does not make one religion preferred over another, nor do tax breaks to churches promote the practice religion over no religious practice.

I'm sorry, but if any organization can receive benefit from the government because of its religious affiliation alone, that is promotion of religious organizations over secular organizations.

I think it is an endorsement of religion, as it encourages religious establishments to start because all secular establishments cost more. I think it violates the separation of church of state and the first amendment. Even if it doesn't, however, I am opposed.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:57 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if any organization can receive benefit from the government because of its religious affiliation alone, that is promotion of religious organizations over secular organizations.

Okay, but that isn't the case. Churches do not receive these benefits simply because they are churches, but because they are not-for-profit organizations.

Quote:
I think it is an endorsement of religion, as it encourages religious establishments to start because all secular establishments cost more. I think it violates the separation of church of state and the first amendment. Even if it doesn't, however, I am opposed.

It's fine to be opposed regardless of the First Amendment issue; I am opposed to the current incarnation of the system because of the megachurches and the sort of organizations Vide points out.
Dewey phil

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:38 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,

In my opinion there are no just "religious rights", rather all of these rights are simply guaranteed by other basic rights.

Dewey wrote:

Do you think the other basic rights would bar the government from establishing a single state church? If so, please explain. Thanks!

It depends very much on how it goes about doing it. If this government church pays for itself and no one is compelled by the government or other entity to belong to this church then I see no issue.

Once we get into that realm, however, we are beginning to lose the qualities that make the government what it is.

Can we go over this again?

I understood you to say in effect that Amendment I was not necessary to protect religious rights because they are protected by the other amendments in the Bill of Rights. I questionned you about that because I could not see how the other rights would prevent the government from establishing a single state church.

Please elucidate. Thanks.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:07 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Okay, but that isn't the case. Churches do not receive these benefits simply because they are churches, but because they are not-for-profit organizations.

The question was not whether not-for-profit organizations deserve tax breaks, it was whether churches deserve tax breaks.

I believe we are relatively on the same page here.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:35 am
@Dewey phil,
Dewey wrote:
Can we go over this again?

I understood you to say in effect that Amendment I was not necessary to protect religious rights because they are protected by the other amendments in the Bill of Rights. I questionned you about that because I could not see how the other rights would prevent the government from establishing a single state church.

Please elucidate. Thanks.

To be clear, I would think that the religion clause of the first amendment is unnecessary due to the other rights guaranteed by the first, however, I don't really care for the constitution in the first place.

The way I look at a "freedom" provided by a right, is not just being allowed to choose, but being allowed to choose without influence. When I say that one should have freedom of speech, I mean that the government should not even try to influence into some sort of speech. If I say that people should have the freedom of assembly, then the government should in no way influence the way in which individuals assemble.

So, if government were to establish a church and grant benefits to those who belong to the church or tax those who do not belong, they are influencing the way in which people assemble and speak and believe. If government creates a church that is completely self-sustaining, then I don't really have a problem with it.

So as usual I don't really care about the religion or church issue, rather I concentrate on how that affects the other rights.
Dewey phil

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 09:36 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Didymos Thomas has corrected the mistaken idea that many of us have had about the First Amendment. It does not, as I claimed at the outset of this discussion, draw any "boundary between government and church". The term "separation of church and state" so commonly used to describe it now is a distortion, really a reversal, of what Thomas Jefferson meant when he used that phrase.

The amendment says exactly what the founders wanted and no more. They chose their words very carefully. They wanted Christian principles to run the nation but they did not want one denomination to run the nation. They wanted to place all sects and denominations of Christians on the same equal footing. The amendment does not provide one whit of support for the court decisions and laws excluding or limiting the churches' political activities..

OK, the churches really do have the right to practice politics. (A move is afoot to challenge the constitutionality of the laws barring such practice.) Now that I understand that, do I still object to their tax exemptions (other than for their charitable operations)? The answer is that I object even more strenuously. Now, I don't even have the satisfaction that I and other non-religious people had of getting something for our money. We were paying the churches to abstain from any direct injection of their faith-driven ideas into our political process. Now, or at least soon, they can inject to their hearts' and souls' content.

Heavy church involvement in politics was not so objectionable in the founders' time. Everyone was religious. Everyone was a Christian. But the times have changed and are continuing to change. Religion is declining.. Secularism is growing. Americans identifying themselves as religious now comprise only about 70% of the adults. Some 14% of them are not even affiliated with an organized religion. The advances of science and research are eliminating the need for words from on high to guide our political behavior.

In the interests of fair and equal treatment of our fast-growing secular segment of society, I believe we should amend the Constitution. This time around we should intentionally and finally separate church from state.

PS: I nearly forgot the main question of this discussion. As you would expect from such an opinionated guy as me, my belief is that we should tax the churches' non-charitable operations.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:27 am
@Dewey phil,
Dewey wrote:
Didymos Thomas has corrected the mistaken idea that many of us have had about the First Amendment. It does not, as I claimed at the outset of this discussion, draw any "boundary between government and church". The term "separation of church and state" so commonly used to describe it now is a distortion, really a reversal, of what Thomas Jefferson meant when he used that phrase.

The amendment says exactly what the founders wanted and no more. They chose their words very carefully. They wanted Christian principles to run the nation but they did not want one denomination to run the nation. They wanted to place all sects and denominations of Christians on the same equal footing. The amendment does not provide one whit of support for the court decisions and laws excluding or limiting the churches' political activities..

OK, the churches really do have the right to practice politics. (A move is afoot to challenge the constitutionality of the laws barring such practice.) Now that I understand that, do I still object to their tax exemptions (other than for their charitable operations)? The answer is that I object even more strenuously. Now, I don't even have the satisfaction that I and other non-religious people had of getting something for our money. We were paying the churches to abstain from any direct injection of their faith-driven ideas into our political process. Now, or at least soon, they can inject to their hearts' and souls' content.

Heavy church involvement in politics was not so objectionable in the founders' time. Everyone was religious. Everyone was a Christian. But the times have changed and are continuing to change. Religion is declining.. Secularism is growing. Americans identifying themselves as religious now comprise only about 70% of the adults. Some 14% of them are not even affiliated with an organized religion. The advances of science and research are eliminating the need for words from on high to guide our political behavior.

In the interests of fair and equal treatment of our fast-growing secular segment of society, I believe we should amend the Constitution. This time around we should intentionally and finally separate church from state.

PS: I nearly forgot the main question of this discussion. As you would expect from such an opinionated guy as me, my belief is that we should tax the churches' non-charitable operations.

I apply a more dynamic interpretation to the first amendment.

It is true that nearly all were Christian in the day and the wall of separation was erected to protect minority denominations. I think the sentiment carries over though, to protect all minority religions, not just denominations. Binding the constitution to the conditions of the day it was written takes a flawed document and makes it worthless.

Jefferson, in his famous letter, makes the statement: "that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions". This points to a moral forbearance on government to legislate in any manner that may influence the religious opinions and values of the people. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, a forbearance from influence requires a complete wall of separation.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.
Dewey phil

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 02:11 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
If we can agree that your "wall of separation" is a barrier only to the government -- more like a one-way door -- we are in complete agreement. I did not mean to imply that the First Amendment had become worthless. The problem is in its misinterpretation.

It's nice to have someone agree with me. Some days I don't even agree with me!
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 01:13 pm
@Dewey phil,
Jefferson coined the term "wall of separation between church and state" in his Danbury Letter. I do not think his own words represent the antithesis of what he meant. Jefferson used "wall" as a way to suggest that Madison's "line of separation" was too weak.

As to the founders and religion, not all were Christian. At least 6 American presidents have been non-Christian, including Thomas Jefferson. These non-Christians, and their Christian peers, decided to separate church and state - as evidence all one needs to do is look to James Madison. Jefferson is further removed, having been in France when the constitution was drafted (though, through Madison, Jefferson was a force in spirit).

Non-profits are granted tax breaks and are also allowed to be politically active. Why should we treat churches any differently? They are non-profits just the same.

This idea that religious organizations should abstain from politics seems down right dangerous. Imagine a world wherein Martin Luther King Jr. remained politically inactive. Or Desmond Tut, or Thich Nhat Hahn, or any of the other great spiritual leaders who's political activism shaped the world.

Everyone should be allowed to take an active role in politics.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 04:44 am
@Dewey phil,
Dewey wrote:
If we can agree that your "wall of separation" is a barrier only to the government -- more like a one-way door -- we are in complete agreement. I did not mean to imply that the First Amendment had become worthless. The problem is in its misinterpretation.

To a certain degree. I do believe that the people possess the right to vote according to religion, but I cannot imagine what good it will do, since the government cannot legislate according to religion.
0 Replies

Dewey phil

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 06:49 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

This idea that religious organizations should abstain from politics seems down right dangerous. Imagine a world wherein Martin Luther King Jr. remained politically inactive. Or Desmond Tut, or Thich Nhat Hahn, or any of the other great spiritual leaders who's political activism shaped the world.

Everyone should be allowed to take an active role in politics.

Your examples and others I can think of reflect the good, even great, side of political activism by churches But history indicates a preponderence of bad results.

Kevin Phillips" book, "American Theocracy" describes how five world-dominating powers, from ancient Rome to the British Empire were brought down. Among the problems these nations had in common was a militant religion. He then turns to the surge of fundamentalist and evangelical religion in the United States, how, under President Bush, the Republicans have shaped domestic and foreign policy around religion. Phillips likens our present situation to that of Britain a century ago and points out that "evangelical religion, biblically stirred foreign policy, and a crusader mentality ill fitted a great power decreasingly able to bear the rising economic costs of strategic and energy supply failure." Unlike Britain, we do not have a state church; nevertheless, we have been in the grip of "a considerably more powerful religiosity, constituency pressure, and biblical worldview.

Wouldn't we all be better off if religious leaders would agree to serve their congregations by simply conveying the words of God to their congregations and helping individuals to live moral lives. They could take care of the spiritual matters and allow the politicians to handle the political matters. We might lose a few Reverend Kings -- and that's a big loss -- but wouldn't it be great to lose all those Reverend Falwells and Robertsons!