Consciousness and the World

paulhanke

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
My understanding of creation is, inner thinking sets energy in motion, that motion will always be in the form of cycles, each cycle being a complete life time within itself, eg as I breathe in I compress, this is the generative half the cycle,(living half) as I breathe out this is the radiating half (death half) all creation uses this principal from the microscopic to the universes. the whole of creation relies on the Rhythmic Balanced Interchange between opposites.

... sounds like a reasonable metaphysical interpretation of the abundance of self-organized synchrony in nature Smile ...
Richardgrant

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 05:58 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... sounds like a reasonable metaphysical interpretation of the abundance of self-organized synchrony in nature Smile ...

I have studied the Russell philosophy for many years now, and I find it infallible in all areas, it has answered all my questions, and I have applied it to my every day living with wonderful success.
0 Replies

eternalstudent2

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
eternalstudent Smile

I am a fraid I have pulled a frightful error, in trying to respond to your post to that Byron quote, first my response came up under your name and then when I tried to remove it, I am fraid I deleted the entire post. I am new at this you might have gathered, at anyrate you have my apology, I fear that post is in cyberspace somewhere. If your interested, here is the intended response to your post.

Jim G,Surprised

The quote it is true has the individual in mind, when you speak of biological extensions/ scaffolding, forming culture you are speaking of the benifits to humanity in general, not really personal/ as of the individual. I would think however that an individual would have difficutly living life through an entirely secondary means--as often prisoners do. All in all I think Byron did pretty good for a brief oneliner. If you expect a oneliner to express an entire philosophy, you will often be disappointed. Again my apology!!!Surprised

Boagie,

As to your deleting my post regarding your Byron quote: as the kids today say, "whatever".

As to your dichotomy between benefits to humanity in general versus benefits to the individual: that was not at all my intent. I'm sorry that either you misread me or I misled you. I definitely believe that the "internal mental scaffolds" of reflective, philosophical analysis bring individual benefits; eudaimonia, as the Greeks would say. They certainly do have significant social benefits; but as one gets on in life, as one matures, one is better able to appreciate the personal satisfaction of thinking deeply about one's life and times, one's memories, the relationships and events that one has observed and experienced. Some of the truths are quite fatal, certainly; others are clumsy and embarrassing. But still others reflect the "sweetness and light" of Matthew Arnold's cultural appreciation.

Yes, youth probably should be left mostly to first-hand experience and relationships, as you refer to. Education, like youth itself, goes mostly unappreciated by youth, perhaps with good reason. But as one matures, as one's body loses its vitality, as one experiences disappointments in many relationships, first-hand experience becomes increasingly less feasible, less valuable, and also less novel. Been there, done that. The raw, sweet juice of youthful experience ages into the fine wine of a reflective adulthood, with its bitter edge. This is, very much, "personal / as of the individual".

Finally: "If you expect a oneliner to express an entire philosophy, you will often be disappointed." Most interesting. I wanted to submit that one-liner to your "bits of wisdom" thread, where you solicited one-liners. But you did say that you were looking for original thoughts, not good lines authored by another. Still, that's an interesting line, even though it most likely expresses but a partial philosophy; it inherently leaves something out. Somewhat like the liar's paradox, perhaps? :shocked:

Jim G.
boagie

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 03:10 am
@eternalstudent2,
eternalstudent

Well, I am no spring chicken myself, and I do appreciate your perspective. Looking back on my youth I have some compassion for that youngman who struggled so, and in some unnecessary ways. For whatever the reasoning behind the fact of a largely misspend youth, a major regret might be in not creating enough good memories for ones senior years. Sometimes even engauged through first hand experience one fails to make the most valuable things in life meaningful. Of course reflection does enrich ones life and indeed is not misspent. After one reaches his senior years it is strange but it seems to have had an order to it, even if largely unfortunate, there seems a continuity. As you have indicated life is a bitter sweet process and part of the benfits of reflection is in forgiving that youthful ignorance, with a compassionate warmth of heart. I looked upon that quote by Byron more as a warning to those who might find after reaching some abstract goal only to discovering the ladder one has climbed to be leaning upon wrong wall. You posts are most interesting and I do regret having deleted one, again you have my apologies. boagie
0 Replies