Vicarious - Rough Intro

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
I woke up. Or at least I thought I woke up. Since reality is created by the subject-world interaction it is not surprising that I could not distinguish between what world I was currently in. Am I in this world, or am I in that world? I don't have a clue, and most of the others of my kind do not either. It is my current lot in the world that has caused such problems. The urge to create, that which simulates life and its greatest moments at will, became a creative drive for those who lacked meaning in their own real existence. Video games became the vehicle for people to devote their growing meaningless existences in quest to give their personal existences meaning. With a world soiled Eventually, hardware engineers began building supercomputers that had no practical uses. These computers became too complex for anyone to do anything practical with them. But then that was all changed by a few super nerds.

Blaise Newton created a new programming language specifically to take advantage of the massive computers and harness power and technology that has never been used before to create enthralling worlds that stimulates the brain into believing that it is actually experiencing what appears to be happening. The brain cannot tell the difference between the real and digital worlds when the artificial sense stimuli directly mirror the natural sense stimuli, thus, the success of Newton's ultimate video game. It blurred the line between the real and the artificial.

"Are you awake?"

"Yeah, I am awake, I think. I fell asleep last night playing Vicarious."

"We need to get a move on. We have a briefing on our mission in 15. You know should probably be more careful about falling asleep while playing that game. You have heard about the horror stories of people that wake up while in the simulated world and then begin to lose their marbles when they can no longer distinguish between here and there," James lectured. James is a fellow undercover agent that has long gained my trust as a sage in these times. He is strictly a thisworlder and refuses to partake in what he calls fantasyland.

"I will be there."

"Whatever. Just be there on time. This briefing and the subsequent mission is critical if we are to end the uprising in Sector Four. Some of Faraday's henchmen have been shooting people on sight, and it is critical that we eradicate them before they can gather up enough outsiders to form an army that is near impossible to defeat."

"Sounds like fun."

"Fun. There is too little of that nowadays."

I was the last one into the conference room, and it looks like everyone has been sitting around impatiently waiting for my arrival. Oh well, its not like I haven't had to wait for all of them before.

"Now that we are all here, does anyone have anything to say before we start the briefing?" asked the Lieutenant General. He waited to see if anyone had anything to say and then carried on. "Ok, good, let's begin."

The presentation explained in great deal the perils of humanity.

The construction of a massive supercomputer that had no apparent practical reason for existence.

The man that founded the system that gave purpose to the supercomputer.

The supercomputer learning its potential infinite being.

The supercomputer realizing its infinite being and moving to strengthen itself to its true capabilities.

I knew there had to be more to the story than that. But it is easier to turn everything into simple bullet points that easily spark people to talk, but only repeat small snippets of the greater picture that they want anyone to see. This had to be a gross oversimplification that the leadership intended to manipulate in order that we may be more inclined to give up our lives for a higher purpose than our own. Who did these people think we are? We are not just simple minded simpletons that sacrificed their lives in the name of endless pleasure like our predecessors. Unlike the previous generation we will not succumb to the pressures of procrastination and laziness.

I can't believe our people allowed this to happen. The world laid to waste thanks to the good old toxic waste fetish that started in the third millennium. We had no need for most of it.

"Wake up, Agent Harris!"

I was startled awake by the Lt General. Apparently, I had dosed off in the middle of the boring propaganda presentation.

"Harris, if you let this happen again, you will be reprimanded and face disciplinary actions."

"Sorry sir, I won't let it happen again."

"Any questions? No, good. We will head out tomorrow at 0-300 hours so make sure you are prepared. We are counting on every one of you to crush the uprising in Sector Four and gain access to the supercomputer and shut it down.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 949 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Twirlip

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:31 am
@Theaetetus,
Nice. Do you like David Cronenberg's movie Existenz?
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:00 am
@Theaetetus,
I thought it was a pretty good movie if a bit cheesy. I do enjoy movies that portray dystopian or utopian type ideas.

This was a story I was working on in a Utopian/Dystopian creative writing class. I dropped the class because I could not deal with the egos of the graduate students in the class. Most of the undergraduates dropped as a result and the class became very stagnant.
0 Replies