Fundamental rights

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:32 am
@Jazzman phil,
Jazzman wrote:
Was Thomas Hobbes right when he thought of rights as general claims which nobody questions?

In a sense, yes.

Quote:
That would mean that there are no fundamental rights as long as there are people who contravene them.

Not necessarily. Those that contravene must do so consistently.

Since you are familiar with Adorno, are you also familiar with Habermas?
0 Replies

Earth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:01 pm
@Jazzman phil,
I'm sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I'm not answering anyone in particular, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I don't believe in any sort of 'natural', 'inalienable', 'fundamental', 'god given' rights exist. The only rights, in my opinion, man has, are the legal/civil rights that authority and the judicial system define. They can be taken in away, or reinstated at the discretion of those in power, depending on the situation.

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:21 am
@Earth,
I don't like the concept of rights as a phisolophical or moral concept. I believe that people should do good, and treat each other as human beings, but the idea that everyone is personally entitled to their own personal nation of me is ridiculous. We should have restrictions on the power of the state over the indivdual but they should apply only to that relationship, and not extend into anywhere else.
Joe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:38 am
@avatar6v7,
When asking about what applies to the entire human race, concerning consciousness, well I think we know enough not to Generalize beliefs (morals, ethics, rights, etc.....

What is widely accepted, is exactly that. To each his own, and with that, our self truths can breach connections to ensure these understandings.
0 Replies