Tissue engineering, Robotics, Homo Evolutis...

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 04:41 pm
I came across this very interesting video the other day regarding recent research into cutting-edge science, and I wanted to share it with the community:

Juan Enriquez shares mindboggling new science | Video on TED.com

Here's a few of the ideas covered:
- Engineered bacteria to perform duty of kidneys
- Advancements in tissue engineering: Research into the tissue-regenerating creature "Axolotl" [creature which can regrow any organ] has led us to actually be able to grow new human organs by spraying the stem cells onto cartilage. The stem cells can self organize and create life! Wow!
- Quick look at new robotics and potential cybernetic implants
- Theory on a new species of human emerging -- Homo evolutis! "Hominids that take direct and deliberate control over the evolution of their species... and others"

As an aside, I really recommend ted.com in general -- very interesting talks from time to time.

Be well,

Zeth
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,200 • Replies: 3
No top replies

WithoutReason

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:02 pm
@Zetherin,
Techonology certainly has much in the way of good to offer humanity, but at the same time it can go too far. My concern is that one day we will forget the latter, and from that point it will not be long before the boundary is transgressed.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 02:10 am
@WithoutReason,
WithoutReason wrote:
Techonology certainly has much in the way of good to offer humanity, but at the same time it can go too far. My concern is that one day we will forget the latter, and from that point it will not be long before the boundary is transgressed.

That's very interesting, and just where do you think the boundary is?

Say we're able to genetically manipulate and recreate every organ in the human body, in essence creating life, is this too far?
WithoutReason

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:04 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
That's very interesting, and just where do you think the boundary is?

Say we're able to genetically manipulate and recreate every organ in the human body, in essence creating life, is this too far?

I'd say yes, but that is because of my preference for the natural. I dislike the idea of creating life because somehow it seems unnatural. Nature works the way it does for a reason, and to tinker with it does not seem appropriate. Perhaps the undesirable consequences of such tinkering would end up outweighing the intended results.

I haven't determined a specific boundary for when I think technology has gone too far, but I will say that I am uncomfortable with the progressively increasing role it continues to play in our lives.
0 Replies