God, some thoughts, and some thoughts on god

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:22 pm
The concept of "God", just as any concept we define is only defined after we stop consideration. One can continue to contemplate anything as long as they desire, though it can be at a price: pain, loneliness, a plethora of mental illnesses, etc. For example, I can either accept that I have a 'spirit' (regardless how I define) and attach myself to a moral compass or I can consistently consider why I really feel the way I do - If I feel pain, hatred, anguish towards any one situation, person, or thing I can analyze and learn. Likewise if I feel honesty, happiness, love towards any one situation, person, or thing I can analyze and learn. I may have influences I can't even detect, and sometimes I'd have to make assumptions. I can repeat this process indefinitely and view each experience subjectively, never coming to a defined personal truth... but always learning. It goes without saying there will be boundaries, as intelligence probably plays a key role in how far I can delve, along with self confidence and courage (and I'm sure there are millions of other variables relative to each person).

Now, from my knowledge and experience, it's impossible to live without having any personal truth, as we cannot transcend this experience - every thought and action is influenced by something, in some way, shape, or form. No one consciousness is above this. Some philosophers have decided to traverse unknown paths, many enduring severe mental anguish, but they all have stopped consideration at some point (this is evidenced by any insight they decide to come to). But the point is, it appears people can choose at which degree (subject to their boundaries) they stop consideration within their own window. And this consideration can be about anything. And this leads me back to the concept of "God"...

One of the most common things I see people do when conceptualizing a "God" is personification. This usually comes in the form of applying a "good" and "evil" spectrum which is tied to what we like to call 'morality'. Now, it makes sense why we would personify an intelligence greater than us, but it appears more probable to me that if there is something that created us, it wouldn't contemplate on our level. That is, every notion we have about the spectrum of "good" and "evil" should be thrown out the ******* window. We must remember that we apply these concepts, and they are nonexistent for those that are not human (so far as we know). Sure, animals have instinct for survival and respond to positive and negative stimuli, but when it comes down to it, they don't judge in the same way humans do. The lion responds to survive, not because it has an illogical deep-seeded discrimination against something. Humans attach profound emotion to everything they attempt to reason with. Yes, this makes us unique, but not necessarily special.

Another one of the most common things I see when conceptualizing a God is a lack in the consideration of time. It is known that we construct time internally and every vision, every sequential image we experience culminates to a reality, our reality. We try to make order of this reality and appear to have reasoning capabilities that other consciousness' do not have. And that's fine, but let's begin to consider a greater being without our same time construct. A greater being without a sequential time construct, such as the lens we see through, would mean the being would not experience. Time would be, and it wouldn't be. There would be no progression. The being wouldn't judge on the same level we do, as no collation of events would even occur. Essentially, 'it' would be every time, every place, every thing. I don't think humans have the capacity to even understand what this means, and I know I don't have the capacity to understand what this means, but I'm only sure about the latter.

What it comes down to is this: Every notion we have, regardless how profound or superficial, is a stop in consideration. Even my typing this, is me coming to some conclusion, however abstract it may appear to you reading. If there is a way out of this, if there is a way to further understanding, it may be realized by A.) observing through a different lens, deviating from our reality or B.) being able to alter time.

I don't know how to do either, and I expect you guys to help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 816 • Replies: 0
No top replies