Womanhood

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:43 pm
I mean to write this post hoping to gain some insight as to what womanhood even is, as I have practically no idea. I am not concerned about this kind of womanhood. I am concerned about the heroine in woman. I know enough about the hero in man that it has this way of threatening the possibility of me ever believing that the heroin exists.

First off, is there any literature you'd recommend which provides an example (perhaps archetypically) of the heroin?

I am not forgetting what Salima has said, that the heroin in woman is "underportrayed" in literature, or what Aedes said that literature has a "flamboyant" way of depicting things such as this topic. These are great points.

Perhaps there is nothing feminine to distinguish about woman, but maybe there is a distinction between man and woman, the hero and the heroin.

Or maybe I'm just making things more complicated than they have to be, lol.

So without further ado, and without one hint of misogynism please, could we discuss as sincerely as possible the matter of what defines the heroin?

I think, though I may be wrong, anecdotes would come in handy here. What was the most noble encounter you've had with woman? I'm not talking about humility, I'm not talking about pride, those qualities by themselves cannot make up the hero, so is it wrong of me to say they cannot make up the heroin?

Thank you for reading.

I'll move this away from the uncategorized subforum if I find a more suitable location reveals itself later on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 970 • Replies: 9
No top replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:04 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I'm going to assume the spelling of "heroine" as "heroin" was unintentional and not a Freudian Slip on your part... LOL

Heroism does not distinguish between gender in my opinion, nor is there any difference in applied Heroism as it pertains to gender. There have been both heros and heroines in all societies and times.
0 Replies

soz phil

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:26 pm
@Holiday20310401,
This is a good collection of folktales that feature heroines rather than heroes:

Amazon.com: Tatterhood and Other Tales (9780912670508): Ethel Johnston Phelps, Pamela Baldwin Ford: Books

Quote:
All the central characters in these folk tales are spirited females-decisive heroines of extraordinary courage, wit, and achievement who set out to determine their own fate. Some of their stories are comic, some adventurous, some eerie, and some magical. The 25 traditional tales come from Asia, Europe, India, Africa, and the Americas; detailed information about their sources is given. "A sparkling gathering or traditional, yet little-known tales."-Chicago Sun Times
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday, I take issue with the very premise of either hero in man or heroine in woman as essential qualities of the gender. This is particularly because these labels are given to archetypes, either through literature or through popular mythologization.

So should our personal judgement of "heroine in woman" be contaminated by standards of the female hero that come from fairy tales and Victorian novels?

Or should we dispense with an essentialist approach and define what heroism means broadly, then look at examples of which women fit this example?

Take Aung San Suu Kyi -- a political dissident, leader of democracy, nonviolent protest -- a woman as strong and resolute as her normal comparators (Gandhi and Mandela). That's a heroic woman.

Mother Theresa was a different kind of heroic woman.

I know many women in academic medicine who are international leaders in research. I know others who are outstanding clinicians who have saved many lives. All heroic.

Then there are my grandmothers -- neither had an education, both survived Auschwitz, lost their parents, and one of them even lost her first husband -- yet reinvented themselves, raised a family, etc. They didn't save millions, but they were heroines in a different sense.

My point in the end is that whatever intrinsic differences exist between man and woman are very much subordinated to whatever else happens in their lives, and whatever choices they make. All of the above -- being a political leader, being a humanitarian, etc, are neither unique to women nor men.
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 11:01 pm
@Aedes,
I get where you're coming from Aedes. It may not be important to look for archetypes differentiating hero from heroine, because that would be missing the point.

But I think the first thing that needs to be done is figuring out how the concept of heroism (would you agree it is somewhat innate?) comes about. How does it manifest itself in the human mind, at what point does the nobility or divinity of one's actions become heroic?

Literature has been written from man's perspective, and because of this, it is hard to get a grasp of the opportunities the heroine archetypes have to act heroic. It is difficult in reading the literature to get that intuition of those archetypes, would you agree, because of how fewer opportunities seem to present themselves of the heroine being unveiled.

There is something aesthetically pleasing about an archetype. Why is it that the hero archetypes are discernable, but the heroine archetypes are inscrutible? Is this something which only presents itself in non-contemporary literature. I mean, today, there is much less disparity between men and women. Women have jobs etc. etc. Or is it that archetypes exist without the association of gender and that there is simply some psychological need among writers to attach the male figure (or at least as it were predominantly) to whatever archetype they were interested in?

But then again this begs for an example. If Dmitry Karamazov during his three torments, during the interrogation was instead a female, were attached instead a fundamentally feminine psyche (whatever that means), things wouldn't have played out the say way. And maybe these are just "fairy tales" or "Victorian novels", but does it matter? It's not like the plot in the novel or the psyches presented within the characters, or their progressions and maturity are unrealistic.

Sure, the way a novel is written certainly affects the reader's perception of the hero.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:43 am
@Holiday20310401,
i think heroes and heroines are made out of tragedy and extreme need. this is one of the reasons i see no problem with there being suffering and hardship in the world, it is not an eternally unanswerable and paradoxical question. how can there be any heroes or heroines if there is not something to bring it out? if everything is going good, there is no need to sacrifice one's time, money work and life for someone else.

i agree there would be differences in heroes and heroines just as there would be differences in how a man or a woman performs a ballet. they cannot do the same dance steps, but they can both be a part of the show.

out of the bhopal gas tragedy (25th anniversay this year) came a lot of heroines who went on to devote their lives to caring for the victims still suffering today and trying to fight the powers that get in the way of hope of justice or closure. i could give specific examples but i dont think that is really necessary.

for some strange reason there has been a separate gender based word for heroes and heroines whereas there is no separation for other words, like millionaire, philanthropist, cannibal, baker. both a man and a woman would portray any of these roles in ways as far as they are capable of doing so, each in their own way. in some cases a woman could make a point better than a man and in other cases aman would be able to carry out a heroic act better than a woman. both are needed.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 10:23 am
@salima,
Holiday20310401;106026 wrote:

First off, is there any literature you'd recommend which provides an example (perhaps archetypically) of the heroin?

Perhaps there is nothing feminine to distinguish about woman, but maybe there is a distinction between man and woman, the hero and the heroin.

I think, though I may be wrong, anecdotes would come in handy here. What was the most noble encounter you've had with woman? I'm not talking about humility, I'm not talking about pride, those qualities by themselves cannot make up the hero, so is it wrong of me to say they cannot make up the heroin?

Hi
Without working around too much, let me say that you may be wrong, somewhere.

The topic of womanhood is one thing that has engaged my devouring intellect for a quite a while now....... though, frustratingly, I find myself not making much progress on this front.

But the little that it did, does indicate to me that woman are as heroic as anyone can be. To look into history for examples would be diabolic, because of the simple reason hat history was never written by woman - until the 20th century, perhaps only in the latter part of th elast century, i guess.

Talking about literature, of which i am not a great enthusiat, i would take up the mythological story of the genesis, wherein the mother of all grandmothers, Eve defied the dictates of God. This according to me, is a great act of heroism, although labeled immoral from theological perspective. Acts of defiance (and disobedience) are acts of courage. Mankind has never seen a greater rebel than eve.

Aedes;107987 wrote:

My point in the end is that whatever intrinsic differences exist between man and woman are very much subordinated to whatever else happens in their lives, and whatever choices they make. All of the above -- being a political leader, being a humanitarian, etc, are neither unique to women nor men.

salima;108055 wrote:

for some strange reason there has been a separate gender based word for heroes and heroines whereas there is no separation for other words, like millionaire, philanthropist, cannibal, baker. both a man and a woman would portray any of these roles in ways as far as they are capable of doing so, each in their own way. in some cases a woman could make a point better than a man and in other cases aman would be able to carry out a heroic act better than a woman. both are needed.

I think both salima and aedes are in sync, as you have also pointed out (from an earlier reference?) and i agree with them.

Holiday20310401;108040 wrote:

But I think the first thing that needs to be done is figuring out how the concept of heroism (would you agree it is somewhat innate?) comes about. How does it manifest itself in the human mind, at what point does the nobility or divinity of one's actions become heroic?

Hero's or hero worshipping is a manifestation of human wants and needs. It does appear to be universal, based conceptually, on its mental construction as an extension of basic human desires. A trait or quality of man or woman which makes the other person lesser, giving value to that uniqueness, is perhaps the psychological reasons for hero worshipping. Hero worshipping according to me preceded the Deity or God worshipping.

Holiday20310401;108040 wrote:

Literature has been written from man's perspective, and because of this, it is hard to get a grasp of the opportunities the heroine archetypes have to act heroic. It is difficult in reading the literature to get that intuition of those archetypes, would you agree, because of how fewer opportunities seem to present themselves of the heroine being unveiled.

There is something aesthetically pleasing about an archetype. Why is it that the hero archetypes are discernable, but the heroine archetypes are inscrutible? Is this something which only presents itself in non-contemporary literature. I mean, today, there is much less disparity between men and women. Women have jobs etc. etc. Or is it that archetypes exist without the association of gender and that there is simply some psychological need among writers to attach the male figure (or at least as it were predominantly) to whatever archetype they were interested in?

Talking about archetypes and literature, i would again stick to an area and history which i am familiar with.

In India, more specifically, we have given the mother the position of God. Apart from totemic systems of respecting symbols, the feminine gender or feminity is treated as a power, perhaps more than equal to masculinity as a force, or as a concept of divinity. All the godesses that one may encounter in Indian or Hindu myths are symbols of different powers or virtues (Qualities). Right from Shakti (force), Saraswati, (Knowldge), Laxmi (Materials) to the concept of Shiva (one in the trinity, supposed to be the destroying force of the world) as Ardhnareshwar (God being half man & half woman) are examples that woman had played their role as hero's (gender/grammer wise referred to as heroines). On the ground, however, there are no great examples of equating the woman as Gods. Perahps it is restricted to history and mythological litearture and tradition.

It can be said that in the western myths and history there are very few examples of woman as hero's...... therefore, perhaps, we see injustice, or lets say discrimination, in the literary world too. Religion, which moulds culture is also a factor in such discrimination in the west, while in the east, where also discrimination exists no less, is more so because of chauvinism.

Yes, as for personal experiences, i know many woman whom i admire (secretly, perhaps) for the role and part they play in the social and political sphere of contemporary life.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 12:35 pm
@salima,
salima;108055 wrote:
for some strange reason there has been a separate gender based word for heroes and heroines whereas there is no separation for other words, like millionaire, philanthropist, cannibal, baker.
Actually, there is a separation of words for all of these -- the word comes from the French, and in romance languages most nouns have a gender. English does not have gendered nouns, so it's in relatively few cases (actor vs actress, etc) that this persists.

Otherwise I agree with you.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 01:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I know enough about the hero in man that it has this way of threatening the possibility of me ever believing that the heroin exists.
Guess I'd have to know what you're thinking of when you say the "hero in man." Are you saying that a female soldier has abandoned womanhood and essentially joined the ranks of men? I can see that in a way.

The quality that seemed to make Joan of Arc a hero was that she had encounters with the Archangel Michael who told her to stand up for the French identity when it was on the verge of being absorbed by the English.

During her trial, when asked to explain how she saw angels, she calmly said 'it's none of your business' (alternately: it's not for you to understand)

There's a good book by John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman. If you've read it, reflect on who the 'heroine' actually is in the story. It's not one person, but an aspect of all the characters. In other words: you do know womanhood, because it's part of you, no matter what sex you are.

Not to over romanticize Aedes' grandmothers, but I see people like them as the enduring ground of our existence as a species.

And you left out the hemaphrodite hero.:rolleyes:
VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:00 am
@Arjuna,
If you want to find a good example of a heroine (especially from the perspective of a woman), look no further than any of Jane Austen's novels. If you do not know the basic biography of Jane Austen, she was an 18th-19th century English novelist who had a remarkable gift for satirical fiction. She grew up in what we could consider a middle class lifestyle (lower class gentry), where she had a happy childhood. She never married, and many scholars speculate that it was because of the fear of the loss of freedom marriage and motherhood would entail. She wrote 6 major novels and a few minor pieces and collections. She died miserably.

But what makes Jane Austen such a good author is the way in which she portrayed her novel's heroines. In each of her novels, Jane Austen manages to display the social framework in place at the time, the complex (though seemingly simple) role women played in late 18th century - 19th century, the subtle limits expressly (and implicitly) projected upon women, and much more.

Take for example Anne Elliot in Persuasion. Anne Elliot in Persuasion embodies a heroine who must assert her own opinion in a world contrived and influenced by most everyone around her. Though the superficial layout of the novel suggests that the main point is for Anne Elliot to finally right the mistake she made by being influenced by her closest confidants from accepting Captain Wentworth and finally getting him in the end, the story is structured in such a way that each step she takes is a realization of the fact that she must assert her own rights. Now put that in the perspective of a turn of the 19th century English woman. Women were certainly not afforded the same rights as men. There were restrictions on property ownership, education, right to life issues in childbirth, and many other issues. Especially considering the 1792 was around the same time as Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Jane Austen could also be seen as a woman pushing the barriers of applied male sexist social normativity.

And although Austen's novels were nothing especially groundbreaking in terms of female rights, they did underline the feminine heroine and the ideal qualities they should embody (even though that would be a major deviation from the norm back then). Like I said about the main point in Persuasion, a heroine should know her own mind and not be swayed by others. In Pride and Prejudice, perseverance as intelligent and independent yields just conclusions. In Sense and Sensibility, Eleanor and Marianne portray the necessity of emotional control (seen in Eleanor) and the negative results of a loss of control (seen in Marianne). I can go on, but that just goes to give you a few examples.

On an even more interesting note, you mention in post #5 about a man's perspective influencing the perception of the heroine. Jane Austen specifically addressed this in Persuasion. The heroine Anne Elliot is engaged in a conversation with a very melancholic Captain Benwick. Benwick is in a deep depression because he was previously engaged to a friend's sister, but since he was not rich enough, the marriage was refused and she died a year later. But anyway, in this conversation, Anne wishes Benwick to recover and try to find another. Benwick, obsessed with morbid poetry, recounts to Anne of how the poets tell us of how forgetful and inconstant women can be. Anne reminds Benwick that those poets were all men. Benwick has just been served. A 19th century oh-snapA Feminine Mystique
0 Replies