Child Psychology and Fairy Tales

NNY

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:15 pm
I'm reading up on the subject... I'm reading, "The Uses of Enchantment" by Bruno Bettelheim, which has helped out quite alot. More to the point however, do any of you know any addition information about the psychology and effect of fairy tales on children. Any key points we'll help out tremendously.

Later days-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 15
No top replies

rufio

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:48 am
I bought that book once thinking it was going to be some sort of study or analysis of various folklores in a comparitive/cultural way. I was a bit dissappointed that it turned out to be about child psychology. I gave it to my sister - she loves psychology.

Perhaps the medical forum is a better place for this.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 11:53 am
Hi, NNY. I haven't read the book of which you speak, but Bettelheim was one of my favorite psychologists. As psychology was once a branch of philosophy, this thread is appropriately placed. If I'm not mistaken, Bettelheim created the idea of "Identity with the Aggressor", a notion that when a person is a subordinate, or placed in a situation of servitude, they tend to become as those who are in charge.

I do wish that you had posted a synopsis of the book. That would have made responses much easier.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 12:29 pm
NNY, You might find this info quite revealing:

http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9706/finn.html
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:18 am
I tend to view fairy tales as child abuse.

Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:36 am
You may enjoy this I hope you have broadband for the powerpoint
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:38 am
http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~tales/04-1/overheads.html
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:40 am
http://search.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/05/25/p17s2.htm
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:41 am
Digital Term paper
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:42 am
rufio wrote:
I bought that book once thinking it was going to be some sort of study or analysis of various folklores in a comparitive/cultural way. I was a bit dissappointed that it turned out to be about child psychology. I gave it to my sister - she loves psychology.

Perhaps the medical forum is a better place for this.

This post is on Google already
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:56 pm
?????
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:44 am
I read the book when it came out and it confirmed my opinion that Freudians are rather grim and humorless.

"Life is real, life is earnest, life is not an empty dream...."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:04 pm
Re: Child Psychology and Fairy Tales
NNY wrote:
Cellar Door

I loved that movie Smile

NNY wrote:
Child psychology and Fairy Tales

Why is it necessary to indulge children in fantasy without telling them that it's just fantasy. Do they get some benefit from this? I enjoy fiction even though I know it's fiction.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:31 pm
Rosborne--

In fairness, the man was writing for adults, not children. His preface makes it clear that as a child he enjoyed fairy tales because they are griping stories.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:52 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Rosborne--

In fairness, the man was writing for adults, not children. His preface makes it clear that as a child he enjoyed fairy tales because they are griping stories.

Who was writing for adults, not children? Preface to what book? I'm lost.

I was making a general comment, not related to any particular book.

And otherwise unrelated: The phrase in NNY's sig ("Cellar Door") is from a movie called _Donnie Darko_, a very good sci-fi/Philosophy flic, which I highly recommend Smile
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 09:09 pm
The movie is quite good...

The symbolism to Alice in Wonderland was pretty good... The into the looking glass allusion when Donnie and Frank stare at each other in the bathroom was pretty nice too. The whole movie is great, on any level you watch it, be it paradox, philosophical, or symbolic. It all ties in really well, and this post is completely off topic isn't it?
0 Replies