Does Your Divine Promote Theology or Reason?

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:21 pm
Warning: The following thoughts are for those who believe in free thought, reasoning, and critical thought. Those who feel that a book can represent the ultimate truth, and we ourselves must follow it for all our answers to our problems and ignore that cognitive process we mysteriously just happen to have... then I wish for you to read on. However, if you are stubborn not to see merit in the flip side of the coin, or will only take offense to this, that is not my intent and it will only be for the better not to read on. (This probably only applies to the guests)

I normally don't care for thinking about God anymore, but my family has taken a liking to force me to get involved in their religious activity. I have to take part in prayer at dinner, church, and I just want to go about my atheistic life without my parents worrying about eternity. Why would God do that to us anyways; want us to worry in life when we know there is sin and such of our eternal soul. The eternal soul is just transcendent to me. It has no potential in life, why does it matter?

And I wonder, if God can convey the ultimate truth and morals, and has omnipotence, then why is there a finite sized book to grasp all answers from? Why does the divine have to be this perfect divinity?

Why is it that when we have critical thought and we can discern faults of the bible, faults of the morals that are tried as perfect for our society. What do we as human beings want more: to have a virtuous society, or making the leader needed?

Why does the spiritual leader need to be construed with the physical world, the reality that social interaction is a part of. In the dualities contrived by man, there is likewise going to be two sides to everything, therefore there can be no objective good that must be followed for the most righteous path in eternity, just as there will always be somebody who sees wrong in the morals established in the book.

Is this God, really going to condemn us to this materialistic book that promotes dualities that will inevitably lead some to "eternal doom"? Ignorance is something God does not want, or sorry, for the theologians, if the bible doesn't say so then I guess God promotes ignorance?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,170 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:41 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday,

It sounds to me like you're well on your way to some personal enlightenment. Are you speaking of the Christian Bible or the Koran of Islam? (or perhaps some other - just curious; such sentiments could be applicable to a number of book-based religions).

It sounds like your parents fear for your immortal soul. If this be the case, I wouldn't find their behavior surprising or condemn it, per say (as its quite understandable for a parent to be so protective).

Good luck on finding your answers. If I be so bold as to give some unsolicited advice: Your theological view, over time, may change a number of times. Despite the fact these are deeply-held views, allowing oneself to be open and change as the heart dictates - I think - is something to strive for.

Good post. Good luck

Thanks
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:41 am
@Khethil,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
I normally don't care for thinking about God anymore, but my family has taken a liking to force me to get involved in their religious activity. I have to take part in prayer at dinner, church, and I just want to go about my atheistic life without my parents worrying about eternity. Why would God do that to us anyways; want us to worry in life when we know there is sin and such of our eternal soul. The eternal soul is just transcendent to me. It has no potential in life, why does it matter?

Worrying about eternity is a fairly natural thing for humans to do. I think it's safe to say that we all, at some time or another, worry about eternity. Sounds like your parents are religious people. It's pretty normal for religious parents to want to pass on their values and beliefs to their children. I'm sorry they force you to do these things, but I can also sympathize. At your age I was also an atheist and was forced to do the very same things.

If I might suggest some things to consider... Going to church, the prayer before each meal, and these sorts of activities are more than religious devotions. These are also family and community activities. I have no doubt your parents are concerned for your soul, but I imagine they are more interested in immediate concerns, like spending time with their son before he turns 18 and runs off into his own life. Going to church and the prayer at meals might be a part of that, part of their interest in doing things with you before you leave the nest. In that light, maybe it's alright to go along. At the very least you can do what I used to do during the sermon - take notes and devise critical arguments of what the preacher said. Perhaps you could meet them halfway? It was very helpful for me to talk to my parents - I explained to them that I was an atheist, but that I still had a strong set of values, values that I learned from them, and values that continue to grow in a large part because of what they, your parents, have taught. Maybe you and your parents could agree that you will attend church every other Sunday instead of every Sunday, or something like that. Who knows.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
And I wonder, if God can convey the ultimate truth and morals, and has omnipotence, then why is there a finite sized book to grasp all answers from? Why does the divine have to be this perfect divinity?

Two very good questions. To answer the first, I would suggest that the book, presumably the Bible, does not have all of the answers. Like any other scripture, the Bible points the way.

To the second: This is more complicated, I think. Honestly, the "divine", or God, does not have to be perfect. The way various Christian groups, and other faith traditions, speak of God is just a matter of language. God, I think, is something to be experienced. No two people see the same event the same way, and no two people can be expected to convey God in language in the same way.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Why is it that when we have critical thought and we can discern faults of the bible, faults of the morals that are tried as perfect for our society. What do we as human beings want more: to have a virtuous society, or making the leader needed?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Why does the spiritual leader need to be construed with the physical world, the reality that social interaction is a part of. In the dualities contrived by man, there is likewise going to be two sides to everything, therefore there can be no objective good that must be followed for the most righteous path in eternity, just as there will always be somebody who sees wrong in the morals established in the book.

Well, if the spiritual leader does not exist in the physical world, that leader is going to have a heck of a hard time leading those of us in the physical world.

You're right that there is no objectively right path. All humans are different and we all have different experiences. Thus we all have our own unique path. If someone says there is only one way to God, well, personally I just try to smile and go about my way.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Is this God, really going to condemn us to this materialistic book that promotes dualities that will inevitably lead some to "eternal doom"? Ignorance is something God does not want, or sorry, for the theologians, if the bible doesn't say so then I guess God promotes ignorance?

I don't think so. The Bible is just one book. There are many, many more great examples of scripture in this world aside from the Bible. Though, I'm not so sure the Bible promotes duality. The story of Adam and Eve and the fruit, getting expelled from Eden and all that, struck me as a strong warning against dualistic thinking.

Also, I think the Bible promotes wisdom. King Solomon is an important figure in the Old Testament who is celebrated for his wisdom.
xris

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I think you have started your journey and many questions lie ahead...just answer them with honesty..good luck..
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:32 am
@Holiday20310401,
An unchallenged faith is not worth having.
socrato

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:52 pm
@jgweed,
I believe in God and he does the critical thinking for us, that's what makes it so at ease sort-a-thing. The ten commandments are still right, it's just that people inevitably sin so what use are they as truth.
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:42 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

I normally don't care for thinking about God anymore, but my family has taken a liking to force me to get involved in their religious activity.
I urge you to resist this. You are your own person and your family should respect your boundries about your own belief system.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

Not everone who believes in God believes that God only speaks through religious texts; I certainly do not. -- Be careful about making generalizations.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

Why is it that when we have critical thought and we can discern faults of the bible, faults of the morals that are tried as perfect for our society.
The Bible is but one explanation for God; it is certainly not the only source of wisdom in the world. Don't forget that.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

I sypathize with your feeling of injustice, however I must say that you are (and I do NOT mean this to be insulting) ignorantly generalizing both God and Religion into a vague Christian conception of such things.

Both God and Religion are far bigger than Christianity.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

Is this God, really going to condemn us to this materialistic book that promotes dualities that will inevitably lead some to "eternal doom"?
I believe in God and I do NOT believe so at all. Nor do I think that Christianity has the excusive take on spirituality.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

Ignorance is something God does not want, or sorry, for the theologians, if the bible doesn't say so then I guess God promotes ignorance?
No offense is intended, but I have to laugh at the above statement.

If you're not a Christian, why do you think that the Bible is the only truth possible for you? -- It's not.

You are free to examine ALL philosophies and faiths and choose which is right for you. I do not believe that God promotes only a single brand of philosophy or speaks only to Christians. Why do you?

Something to think about.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:35 pm
@OctoberMist,
Even if he were a Christian, to think that the Bible could be the only source of truth would be a terrible folly.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:57 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
At your age I was also an atheist and was forced to do the very same things.

What made you become a theist?

Didymos Thomas wrote:
At the very least you can do what I used to do during the sermon - take notes and devise critical arguments of what the preacher said. Perhaps you could meet them halfway?

That is actually I good idea.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
does not have all of the answers.
Honestly, the "divine", or God, does not have to be perfect. The way various Christian groups, and other faith traditions, speak of God is just a matter of language. God, I think, is something to be experienced. No two people see the same event the same way, and no two people can be expected to convey God in language in the same way.

I completely agree.:a-ok:

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean.

Well, if the leader, being God, is to be needed, or Jesus Christ our spiritual leader; what is more important? Making the leader actually needed in our spiritual side via more than just doing good in life; or working for a virtuous society? What is the point of doing more than good?

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Well, if the spiritual leader does not exist in the physical world, that leader is going to have a heck of a hard time leading those of us in the physical world.

Yes but is a spiritual leader in the physical world in the sense of objective gain doing anything for spiritual progress, or just for spiritual centralizing of opinion.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Though, I'm not so sure the Bible promotes duality.

Sorry didn't word this right at all. I meant that the bible emanates this absoluteness of morality and wisdom, for fundamentalists especially. And then this absoluteness is rebuked by society in a dualistic manner being that there will be two sides to what is supposed to be a monistic truth influence on the people. People will define the traits of the posited truths in the Bible as good or evil. So it promotes duality without that reciprocity because it seems to have promoted these fundamental claims of holiness and such that make morals too objective for the betterment of society. The objective mentality evokes people taking offense much too easily, because they'll see themselves as more right when it's all about keeping an open mind and not being easily offended so as to promote needless conflict.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Also, I think the Bible promotes wisdom. King Solomon is an important figure in the Old Testament who is celebrated for his wisdom.

Yes I am very liberal about the Bible, just also an atheist at the same time.

jgweed wrote:
An unchallenged faith is not worth having.

Can I like, use this in discussions at school! I love it.

OctoberMist wrote:

The Bible is but one explanation for God; it is certainly not the only source of wisdom in the world. Don't forget that.

Is it that fundamentalists don't see this or just don't find it relevant?:poke-eye:

OctoberMist wrote:
I sypathize with your feeling of injustice, however I must say that you are (and I do NOT mean this to be insulting) ignorantly generalizing both God and Religion into a vague Christian conception of such things.

No offense taken.:a-ok: It's a rough draft, what can I say.

OctoberMist wrote:
No offense is intended, but I have to laugh at the above statement.

I guess what I meant was that Christianity does not see God as allowing free thought. What's funny about it?:popcorn:

OctoberMist wrote:
If you're not a Christian, why do you think that the Bible is the only truth possible for you? -- It's not.

Tell that to my relatives.

OctoberMist wrote:
You are free to examine ALL philosophies and faiths and choose which is right for you. I do not believe that God promotes only a single brand of philosophy or speaks only to Christians. Why do you?

Laughing, I don't, did it really sound that way? I'll have to go back and fix some stuff.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:42 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
What made you become a theist?

Life, I suppose. Listen, though - there is no reason to believe in God until you find that reason for yourself. You will be just fine without God, but if God makes sense to you go that way. We each have our own path to follow.
A theist is someone who believes in God. The important question is: what is God? I do not think that a precise answer exists. I think God is experiential. I'm not Moses or anybody, and my experience is nothing like the intense experiences of visionaries or prophets. But even a simple person like myself can catch a glimpse from time to time. For me, what I see is God. Maybe you call it something different. That's okay.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Well, if the leader, being God, is to be needed, or Jesus Christ our spiritual leader; what is more important? Making the leader actually needed in our spiritual side via more than just doing good in life; or working for a virtuous society? What is the point of doing more than good?

What more can you do than good?

Jesus and God - these are not spiritual leaders. Have you shaken the hand of either of them? I haven't. The story of Jesus suggests various meanings - most importantly, I think, is compassion. That's what Jesus is about. And God, well, God is just a word and different people use different words. Words are not so important.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Yes but is a spiritual leader in the physical world in the sense of objective gain doing anything for spiritual progress, or just for spiritual centralizing of opinion.

Debate about objectivity aside...
Some spiritual leaders are nothing but power hungry maniacs. Others, luckily, are decent and loving people. Compare someone like Jerry Falwell to the Dalai Lama. One shames his faith tradition, the other is a beacon of humanity.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Sorry didn't word this right at all. I meant that the bible emanates this absoluteness of morality and wisdom, for fundamentalists especially. And then this absoluteness is rebuked by society in a dualistic manner being that there will be two sides to what is supposed to be a monistic truth influence on the people. People will define the traits of the posited truths in the Bible as good or evil. So it promotes duality without that reciprocity because it seems to have promoted these fundamental claims of holiness and such that make morals too objective for the betterment of society. The objective mentality evokes people taking offense much too easily, because they'll see themselves as more right when it's all about keeping an open mind and not being easily offended so as to promote needless conflict.

Ah, I see - you are concerned about the divisiveness of religion. Me, too. But I do not think that divisiveness among humans is a problem of religion, but a problem that we as a species face. Nearly anything can divide us. Politics, style, anything. That's the good thing about religion, well, religion that is well guided: good religion offers practices to help practitioners avoid divisiveness and promote loving kindness. Unfortunately, our species has a remarkable ability to corrupt nearly anything.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Yes I am very liberal about the Bible, just also an atheist at the same time.

Nothing wrong with that. I read Homer, find value in that work, but I do not spend time worshiping as the ancient Greeks once worshiped.

Holiday20310401 wrote:
Is it that fundamentalists don't see this or just don't find it relevant?

Sorry to jump in, but, if I may, fundamentalists read the Bible literally. Of course, even literal interpretation is still interpretation and even fundamentalists find ways to disagree. Most fundamentalists, though, would reject the notion that salvation can come from any means other than those prescribed by their cult's dogma.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:33 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Warning: The following thoughts are for those who believe in free thought, reasoning, and critical thought. Those who feel that a book can represent the ultimate truth, and we ourselves must follow it for all our answers to our problems and ignore that cognitive process we mysteriously just happen to have... then I wish for you to read on. However, if you are stubborn not to see merit in the flip side of the coin, or will only take offense to this, that is not my intent and it will only be for the better not to read on. (This probably only applies to the guests)
Ignorance is something God does not want, or sorry, for the theologians, if the bible doesn't say so then I guess God promotes ignorance?

Your casual assumption that all christians are utterly unquestioning is already foolish and your title epitomises it- theology or reason? Have you ever read any theology? Thomas Aquinas, one of the most important theologians in history, whose work has been made official doctrine in the catholic church was a vast proponent of reason. He believed that we should employ the reason and logic proposed by thinkers such as Aristotle to question the universe, existance and our faith. Perhaps you should try employing these methods as opposed to predetermining your posistion. I have thouraghly questioned, and am continueing to question and test my faith, are you questioning yours?
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:01 pm
@avatar6v7,
Constantly, all the time. I try to be open minded about things. Yes I know of Aquinas and his work revolved around reason while he is still considered a theologist.

However, I wonder, can one really study the attributes of God? One can study the bible to study God if they consider a relevant connection between the two.

No, when I speak of christianity it is primarily the fundamentalists which I speak of.

I sense you feel offended by my remarks on here. If so, may I ask why? What would it ultimately matter, avatar?

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:25 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Constantly, all the time. I try to be open minded about things. Yes I know of Aquinas and his work revolved around reason while he is still considered a theologist.

However, I wonder, can one really study the attributes of God? One can study the bible to study God if they consider a relevant connection between the two.

No, when I speak of christianity it is primarily the fundamentalists which I speak of.

I sense you feel offended by my remarks on here. If so, may I ask why? What would it ultimately matter, avatar?

That you have decided christians are fundamentalists as a whole. You say christians in a general sense to mean fundamentalist christians, as if they were the representative view. I am not if you are asking bothered by your questioning of my faith, but your decision to put it at odds with reason as an assumption, as opposed to an argument attacking the rational basis for faith. You say you wish to be open minded but you begin with the premise of 'faith or reason' as if predertiming the response. Perhaps you did not mean this but nevertheless I did not wish to leave it unanswered.
As for can you really study god, the answer is yes and no depending on what you mean. Can we come closer to god by improving our knowlage and understanding of him and his creation? Yes. Can we come to conclusions about him using his word as reported in the scripture in conjunction with reason? Yes. Can we ever fully understand him? No. He is beyond human comprehension, but we can come close to understanding him, every step on an infinite road that draws us closer to him.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:47 am
@avatar6v7,
That you have decided christians are fundamentalists as a whole. You say christians in a general sense to mean fundamentalist christians, as if they were the representative view. I am not if you are asking bothered by your questioning of my faith, but your decision to put it at odds with reason as an assumption, as opposed to an argument attacking the rational basis for faith. You say you wish to be open minded but you begin with the premise of 'faith or reason' as if predertiming the response.

Fair enough, though it wasn't my intent.

Can we come closer to god by improving our knowlage and understanding of him and his creation? Yes.

What knowledge and understand of him? It's hard to do this without experiencing him. And what creation? Can we not agree that this society we have evolved into hs been created ourselves by our own behaviour? What is the point of constraining such a system to the pretence of some divine who we can only conceive of. I see no point. This transcendence lacks potential, and steals it away from society. It does not mix well with human behaviour in that people do seem to take offense to conflicting views quite seriously. I speak of religion in general here, not trying to point at christianity. For example, there was just recently a trial in which some religious nutcases had the silly idea that it would be prudent as part of their faith to carry around these mini scimitars in public. Liberal christianity is ofcourse rational, unlike this religion here but you get my point.

Can we come to conclusions about him using his word as reported in the scripture in conjunction with reason? Yes.

Well first of all the bible is not God's word. It was written by humans. If I am going to go any further I need to know if you advocate the notion that God is omnipresent, potent and well... ultimate... perfect. If we can get past the fact that this sort of divine is not relevant to analyze then I can continue. If not, then we are only going to constantly disagree and arise among paradoxes

Also, we can reason through the scripture, but is the scripture itself reasoning? Not really. There is wisdom, but its human reasoning written by human beings.

Can we ever fully understand him? No.

I agree.

He is beyond human comprehension, but we can come close to understanding him, every step on an infinite road that draws us closer to him.

On an infinite road, what brings us actually closer to this divine?:listening:

Relatively speaking would imply that its really just the human divine we are capable of ourselves. All the good that we do, all the supposed miracles, and such... can we not accept that there doesn't need to be a God to have these things still exist and within our capacity?

For example. Say we might actually have a social paradigm shift, perhaps a resource based economy, get rid of capitalism. Now... why must we assume that the bible can tell us what to do here? We humans are able to figure out the morals and truths to govern virtue ourselves. Conforming to a single book for wisdom is IMHO, not virtuous, especially in the long run.

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:06 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Fair enough, though it wasn't my intent.

1.What knowledge and understand of him? It's hard to do this without experiencing him. And what creation? Can we not agree that this society we have evolved into hs been created ourselves by our own behaviour? What is the point of constraining such a system to the pretence of some divine who we can only conceive of. I see no point. This transcendence lacks potential, and steals it away from society. It does not mix well with human behaviour in that people do seem to take offense to conflicting views quite seriously. I speak of religion in general here, not trying to point at christianity. For example, there was just recently a trial in which some religious nutcases had the silly idea that it would be prudent as part of their faith to carry around these mini scimitars in public. Liberal christianity is ofcourse rational, unlike this religion here but you get my point.

2.Well first of all the bible is not God's word. It was written by humans. If I am going to go any further I need to know if you advocate the notion that God is omnipresent, potent and well... ultimate... perfect. If we can get past the fact that this sort of divine is not relevant to analyze then I can continue. If not, then we are only going to constantly disagree and arise among paradoxes

3.Also, we can reason through the scripture, but is the scripture itself reasoning? Not really. There is wisdom, but its human reasoning written by human beings.

4.I agree.

5.On an infinite road, what brings us actually closer to this divine?:listening:

6.Relatively speaking would imply that its really just the human divine we are capable of ourselves. All the good that we do, all the supposed miracles, and such... can we not accept that there doesn't need to be a God to have these things still exist and within our capacity?

7.For example. Say we might actually have a social paradigm shift, perhaps a resource based economy, get rid of capitalism. Now... why must we assume that the bible can tell us what to do here? We humans are able to figure out the morals and truths to govern virtue ourselves. Conforming to a single book for wisdom is IMHO, not virtuous, especially in the long run.

1. Not sure what you are trying to say about society? Clarify pleae.
2. I actually said '...as reported by the scriptures', jesus ,god incarnate, spoke and his words were recorded. Certainly he was not intending to have all his words taken litreally- he used parables, metaphors etc... but his words are still there and relativly uncorrupted. Plus I think paradoxes are part of what makes christianity work. More on that later.
3. The scripture is as I described it above. We use it in conjunction with our own reason.
4. But you probably mean somthing different :bigsmile:
5. Sceptical? Let me explain. If we add a number to another, it is higher and thus closer to infinity, but you would never reach infinity through adding. Obviously I have had to use an example of futility, because the journey towards understanding is the only fruitful infinite journey. We can learn and continue to learn about god and come closer and closer- we will never fully understand him though. Making more sense now?
6. But can you accept that all these would be possible if they didn't exist? And in order to have existance you must have a cause for existance. An uncaused cause- God.
7. There are many models for a christian society that have been put forwards over the years- for instance monastries. Obviously the Bible is a guide to shaping a society, but of course the bible would and does say that capatalism is wrong.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:52 pm
@avatar6v7,
1. Not sure what you are trying to say about society? Clarify pleae.

Dualities are of the nature of our logic. God is omnipotent, all knowing. Hmm... dualistic absolutes...Laughing

Society is full of this. Perhaps we were a test to see if it was possible to subtract 1 from 2? Laughing

But seriously, we are a sick society. And there you go... a subjective opinion. Its no truth, no 'transcendence' can say it is the truth of the opposite. God doesn't make opinions, and that's not my kind of God.

2. I actually said '...as reported by the scriptures', jesus ,god incarnate, spoke and his words were recorded. Certainly he was not intending to have all his words taken litreally- he used parables, metaphors etc... but his words are still there and relativly uncorrupted. Plus I think paradoxes are part of what makes christianity work. More on that later.

Ofcourse... the writers were probably well educated. They were creative I'm sure. But I mean that stuff like turning water into wine. Sorry, its not to be literally interpreted. It comes as kinda obvious once we accept that paradigm as I once found out.

3. The scripture is as I described it above. We use it in conjunction with our own reason.
4. But you probably mean somthing different :bigsmile:

Depends on what extreme you are of a Christian I suppose. Depends on whether you believe God is the ultimate truth. If God is the ultimate truth then we really can't have truths or morals for our own society. God doesn't govern our society, why should it, why would it matter. Lets say every person in this world accepted the Christian God as the ultimate ruler of the people. IMO, our society would be more corrupt than it is, we'd all be insane to adhere to a transcendent ruler. What's your opinion?Smile:popcorn:Smile

If we add a number to another, it is higher and thus closer to infinity, but you would never reach infinity through adding. Obviously I have had to use an example of futility, because the journey towards understanding is the only fruitful infinite journey.

Yes, yes I got this already; and understanding is to question. That's key.

6. But can you accept that all these would be possible if they didn't exist? And in order to have existance you must have a cause for existance. An uncaused cause- God.

Well... I think it is healthier to live knowing that I myself am the one capable of doing good, and not somebody else doing it through me.

delusion definition | Dictionary.com

Also, why would it matter if there was a divine being controlling your actions that were divine (which is a relative term). How are you going to prove this? Why would you want to believe this? I think this is a weak minded assertion used to ease people's responsibility for their actions so that when doing evil or 'sin', they believe, well ok... I wasn't with God so its forgivable. Do you not think that we could progress if we had the paradigm of believing in ourselves to bring forth divine spirit to this society? I am not a puppet of some deterministic will. If I am, I choose not to believe it as I can never know for sure. Its like the uncertainty principle.

The divine is within ourselves!!!

7. There are many models for a christian society that have been put forwards over the years- for instance monastries. Obviously the Bible is a guide to shaping a society, but of course the bible would and does say that capatalism is wrong.

Well that's good:a-ok:. Does the bible go further to suggest what it is we should do? Bartering perhaps?:detective:

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:25 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Dualities are of the nature of our logic. God is omnipotent, all knowing. Hmm... dualistic absolutes...Laughing

Society is full of this. Perhaps we were a test to see if it was possible to subtract 1 from 2? Laughing

But seriously, we are a sick society. And there you go... a subjective opinion. Its no truth, no 'transcendence' can say it is the truth of the opposite. God doesn't make opinions, and that's not my kind of God.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what society you are talking about

Ofcourse... the writers were probably well educated. They were creative I'm sure. But I mean that stuff like turning water into wine. Sorry, its not to be literally interpreted. It comes as kinda obvious once we accept that paradigm as I once found out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
the miracles are to be taken litreally. without them the account is meingless

Depends on what extreme you are of a Christian I suppose. Depends on whether you believe God is the ultimate truth. If God is the ultimate truth then we really can't have truths or morals for our own society. God doesn't govern our society, why should it, why would it matter. Lets say every person in this world accepted the Christian God as the ultimate ruler of the people. IMO, our society would be more corrupt than it is, we'd all be insane to adhere to a transcendent ruler. What's your opinion?Smile:popcorn:Smile
----------------------------------------------------------------------
for a start I know of no christians who don't believe god is the ultimate truth- if they did how could they be christians? Of course we can have truths and morals for our own society, but morality doesn't shift around, murder and rape don't suddenly become 'ok' As for the last you really would have to go into more detail

Well... I think it is healthier to live knowing that I myself am the one capable of doing good, and not somebody else doing it through me.

delusion definition | Dictionary.com

Also, why would it matter if there was a divine being controlling your actions that were divine (which is a relative term). How are you going to prove this? Why would you want to believe this? I think this is a weak minded assertion used to ease people's responsibility for their actions so that when doing evil or 'sin', they believe, well ok... I wasn't with God so its forgivable. Do you not think that we could progress if we had the paradigm of believing in ourselves to bring forth divine spirit to this society? I am not a puppet of some deterministic will. If I am, I choose not to believe it as I can never know for sure. Its like the uncertainty principle.

The divine is within ourselves!!!
---------------------------------------------------------
you seem to think that because I believe god embodys good that renders good meingless. doesn't follow. if I am doing good, then how is this devalued because good comes from god. explain yourself please.

Well that's good:a-ok:. Does the bible go further to suggest what it is we should do? Bartering perhaps?:detective:
-------------------------------------------------
the bible criticises capatalism implicityly- there are plenty of storys about the rich being criticised(and getting their comeuppance), money being seen as sinful and money lending too. As for the alternative one would have to do an investigation into scripture and try to create a new politics from this. I don't want to get distracted or off topic on this one but I might do a thread on it some time. For the moment I will say we need a more decentralised, localised and community based economic structure but this is not the time and place for discussing it.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@avatar6v7,
You should start a thread on that. It'd be interesting.

And also, I don't believe that God's logic trumps mine. I am able to figure out the morals of the bible myself, not to mention surpass them. I mean, there are faults with the ten commandments.

And morals are relative(there's a failure to God's logica right there, without fixing it). It is going to put humanity in a horrible place to establish absolute morals, when the behaviour of humans constitutes relative, inconsistent values. I mean, what does God want of us humans then? For us to love him over our love of eachother?! I'm sorry, but when and if I have children, its them who comes first, not God, who I can't find a reason to employ in my beliefs and understandings when it doesn't even convey itself in our realities.

It is the now that matters, fellow mankind. I can do good, and use critical thought to denounce all of God's logic to be what is right absolutely. Critical thought, if fundamentalists can't accept it's applicable then why do we have it? To make us sin?! What kind of twisted game is this!Laughing

If God is the ultimate truth, then would you employ it into the court of law? Searching away for a quote that is open to thousands of interpretations (so God didn't really convey its absoluteness very well, to be put in the context of human writing.. in fact, human form is itself naturally relative, through variation) An invariant system is therefore insane.

If God wanted absoluteness it should've made us clones.
And in the court of law if we were to just abide by the ten commandments I'm sure there'd be plenty of situations in which paradoxes would arise. Absoluteness does not itself imply paradoxical situations... it can't logically. Logic is what humans use.

And about miracles. Explain to me why you think they exist. Can you not accept the empirical evidence that probability is the influence on why some patients die in surgery and some don't. Prayer has nothing to do with it. It is enough proof to see that its probability.

For example, I'm sure that if we had a bunch of patients who prayed for help before surgery, vs. those who didn't... the probability for survival would inevitably be the same. I'd love to test this. Besides, surviving the surgery against the odds is an act of human potential. If a surgeon can do this, good for him/her. If the odds are like 1 out of a million then I'd call this a divine acheivement. Its not that God was playing any role, its simply that the probability was there that a human being could inevitably do this. He/she could conduct the good on his/her own.

Also about society being sick. You must see this to be true. It has its merits but it is never going to be perfect. ( I know you already knew this).

What kind of society do you think we live in?

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 03:59 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
You should start a thread on that. It'd be interesting.

And also, I don't believe that God's logic trumps mine. I am able to figure out the morals of the bible myself, not to mention surpass them. I mean, there are faults with the ten commandments.

And morals are relative(there's a failure to God's logica right there, without fixing it). It is going to put humanity in a horrible place to establish absolute morals, when the behaviour of humans constitutes relative, inconsistent values. I mean, what does God want of us humans then? For us to love him over our love of eachother?! I'm sorry, but when and if I have children, its them who comes first, not God, who I can't find a reason to employ in my beliefs and understandings when it doesn't even convey itself in our realities.

It is the now that matters, fellow mankind. I can do good, and use critical thought to denounce all of God's logic to be what is right absolutely. Critical thought, if fundamentalists can't accept it's applicable then why do we have it? To make us sin?! What kind of twisted game is this!Laughing

If God is the ultimate truth, then would you employ it into the court of law? Searching away for a quote that is open to thousands of interpretations (so God didn't really convey its absoluteness very well, to be put in the context of human writing.. in fact, human form is itself naturally relative, through variation) An invariant system is therefore insane.

If God wanted absoluteness it should've made us clones.
And in the court of law if we were to just abide by the ten commandments I'm sure there'd be plenty of situations in which paradoxes would arise. Absoluteness does not itself imply paradoxical situations... it can't logically. Logic is what humans use.

And about miracles. Explain to me why you think they exist. Can you not accept the empirical evidence that probability is the influence on why some patients die in surgery and some don't. Prayer has nothing to do with it. It is enough proof to see that its probability.

For example, I'm sure that if we had a bunch of patients who prayed for help before surgery, vs. those who didn't... the probability for survival would inevitably be the same. I'd love to test this. Besides, surviving the surgery against the odds is an act of human potential. If a surgeon can do this, good for him/her. If the odds are like 1 out of a million then I'd call this a divine acheivement. Its not that God was playing any role, its simply that the probability was there that a human being could inevitably do this. He/she could conduct the good on his/her own.

Also about society being sick. You must see this to be true. It has its merits but it is never going to be perfect. ( I know you already knew this).

What kind of society do you think we live in?

I will start a thread on it sometime soon, promise:)
as for rational interpetation of the bible fine. but can you actually name me two dilemnas where the same moral structure cannot be applied? Interested to see the response on that one. Btw when I mean there is an absolute right, I mean there is an ultimate justice that we are attempting to work towards- not that we should blindly follow some words.
As for miracles, since I wasn't positing them as a proof or argument for god's existance we don't really need to discuss them but if you're intrested I'll play ball. For a start I bet you that the people who prayed will survive more, for the simple reason that they will have greater belief in their own chances, greater hope that they will survive because of it. I think that hope comes from God to strengthen us, but you could just as easily call it the placebo effect.
Secondly I believe miracles such as visions of god, the saints or the virgin mary occur to people- these are of course debatable and you could argue they were just dreams or hallucinations. I think that sometimes God intervenes without explanation and seemingly without reason- incredible things will be shown or occur and completly inexplicably. I know the argument- why should miracles only happen to some? The only answer I can give is that they would not be miracles if they did. They exist not simply to do whatever good it is they do to the person, but to give us hope. It's very nature is such that it cannot be put forward, especialy to a sceptic, as a justification of faith. Which is why I didn't.
There are problems in every society and there is no need to take a defeatist attitude- we can fix a whole bunch of them.
Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:36 am
@avatar6v7,

There are problems in every society and there is no need to take a defeatist attitude- we can fix a whole bunch of them.

I completely agree. And as for two dilemmas. Firstly, some comedy.

YouTube - George Carlin - Ten Commandments

1. You shalt not murder. What is you are confronted by a psychopath who is about to murder you and has murdered before?
  2. You shall not lie. Sometimes lying can be a good thing.
  3. And also, I am the lord your God. Well... He's not my God.
0 Replies