Reality and Justice and the Metaphysical Norms

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:52 pm
@Whoever,
not relatively speaking).

If anybody disagrees, I too like the arguments.
0 Replies

socrato

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:21 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
If morality (in practice in the world today) isn't relatively-determined, then what absolute or planetary "Guide to Right and Wrong" is everyone using these days? In discussing morality and justice, I think there needs to be a distinction between: How things are -and- How we think they should be. Otherwise we go whole-hog talking in vastly-divergent directions.
Hoping to understand - Thanks

The ten commandments of course. Laughing
Steerpike

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:04 am
@socrato,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
If it is such an easy contradiction why don't you flex your formal logic muscle and show it?

The belief can't be self-justified as that would make it question begging. It requires an objective basis to be justified.

Reason only deals in abstractions: relationships, rules, probabilities. It doesn't actually deal with the physical. Because of this reason is always baseless. It deals with conditionals; if this, then this. It can never decide the former this.

Question begging.

Reason also has it's a posteriori basis.

Semantics.

Theft is inherently unjust and property is inherently just. You cannot rely on a definitional tautology to analyze a moral proposition.

I did use definitional tautolgy to analyze a moral/ethical proposition. From this point I will use the term ethics. Ethics is a branch of philosophy. You are correct in stating that theft is inherently unjust. But that is not a "relativist" value. This shows that ethics is not "relative or subjective." Ethical questions can be resolved utilizing the tools of logic.

In calling theft "inherently unjust" you have de facto conceded the argument.

Objective doesn't apply. You ask a meaningless question, like "What's 10 divided by 0?"

The question wasn't about 10/0. It was about "moral relativist" values. If neither is more or less objectively true than the other, then they would necessarily be objectively equal. This demonstrates a problem with "moral relativism" from a logical standpoint. It requires that two contradictory actions or beliefs are equal which is of course not possible.

socrato wrote:
The ten commandments of course. Laughing

No. That would be another logical fallacy, "appeal to authority."
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:37 am
@Steerpike,
Steerpike wrote:
The belief can't be self-justified as that would make it question begging. It requires an objective basis to be justified.

No.

It is not question begging because there is no assumption that morality is relative in my explanation as to why morality is relative. Morality is relative can have an objective basis; it is not a moral proposition, it is an ontological proposition.

Quote:
Question begging.

Reason also has it's a posteriori basis.

How is that possibly question begging? You only quoted a single unsupported proposition.

How do we gain knowledge of reason through experience?

Quote:
I did use definitional tautolgy to analyze a moral/ethical proposition. From this point I will use the term ethics. Ethics is a branch of philosophy. You are correct in stating that theft is inherently unjust. But that is not a "relativist" value. This shows that ethics is not "relative or subjective." Ethical questions can be resolved utilizing the tools of logic.

In calling theft "inherently unjust" you have de facto conceded the argument.

Do you bother with the arguments I make? This entire post consists of you quoting statements, trying to refute them, and completely ignoring my own supportive arguments.

Again, "theft" is definitionally wrong, at no point is any deliberation made to whether theft is actually wrong. As my example pointed out, an action is analyzed and determined to be wrong and then called "theft".

Theft is applied to the action only once it is already declared wrong. If the same action was deemed permissible, it would not be called theft.

Compare the nature of these terms:

take -> steal
kill -> murder

to see what I mean.

Quote:
The question wasn't about 10/0. It was about "moral relativist" values. If neither is more or less objectively true than the other, then they would necessarily be objectively equal. This demonstrates a problem with "moral relativism" from a logical standpoint. It requires that two contradictory actions or beliefs are equal which is of course not possible.

The point is that you are asking me a meaningless question.

Built into moral relativism is the lack of an objective standard, so when you ask me to gauge them objectively you are wanting me to do something impossible, like 10/0.

Take relative space, all measurements are dependent upon the position of the measurer or the position of the objects being measured.
Steerpike

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:04 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
No.

It is not question begging because there is no assumption that morality is relative in my explanation as to why morality is relative. Morality is relative can have an objective basis; it is not a moral proposition, it is an ontological proposition.

If you fully understood logic, then you would understand that circular reasoning is question begging. The belief can't justify itself. Your position lacks valid logic.:whip:

How is that possibly question begging?

You assumed what you were trying to prove.

How do we gain knowledge of reason through experience?

Are you kidding me? Experience can be used by reason to formulate its conclusions.

Do you bother with the arguments I make? This entire post consists of you quoting statements, trying to refute them, and completely ignoring my own supportive arguments.

When you actually said anything rational (once) Laughing, it was acknowledged.

Again, "theft" is definitionally wrong, at no point is any deliberation made to whether theft is actually wrong. As my example pointed out, an action is analyzed and determined to be wrong and then called "theft".

You appear to be missing the point. By subjecting it to logical analysis, we have seen that theft is ultimately self-refuting. This necessarily makes it logically false. That is the true/false determination of its value. This is an objective determination.

The point is that you are asking me a meaningless question.

Built into moral relativism is the lack of an objective standard, so when you ask me to gauge them objectively you are wanting me to do something impossible, like 10/0.

Built into the concept of truth is an objective standard. And it is by that standard that the contradictory beliefs must necessarily be weighed. If "moral relativism" were true, then these contradictory beliefs have to be equal. Since they can't be equal, "moral relativism" is logically false.

If one is interested in truth, then one abandons logical falsehood and accepts logical truth.

Are you interested in truth?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:06 am
@Steerpike,
Steerpike wrote:
If you fully understood logic, then you would understand that circular reasoning is question begging. The belief can't justify itself. Your position lacks valid logic.:whip:

Again, I am justifying moral relativism not with moral relativism but with the nature and development of human understanding and social behavior.

I am quite plainly saying that there is objective truth to moral relativism.

Quote:
You assumed what you were trying to prove.

I know what "begging the question" means. I just wonder how can quote a statement with no argument behind it and still manage to claim it uses circular reasoning. The portion you quoted had no reason involved whatsoever.

Now here is the argument:

1. Human reason deals only in abstract relationships. It determines that the brightness of the sun hurts one's eyes, but it doesn't determine that the sun is bright.

2. Moral decisions require underlying values that are real and documentable
material processes. Every moral rule falls to the question of "why". There is no rule that is justified in itself and eventually they get broken down to some value that is necessary to the person for no reason.

3. If moral decisions require some real value that cannot be questioned, and human reason only deals with relationships between the real and not reality itself, then human reason alone is insufficient for moral judgment.

4. If reason itself is not sufficient and real values that are wrapped in the nature of humanity must also be referenced, then all men are the measure of morality and morality is relative.

Please identify which portion of this argument engages in circular logic.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Experience can be used by reason to formulate its conclusions.

I completely agree that experience and reason can both be applied to formulate knowledge, but you said reason has a a posteriori basis. Name one instance where experience is used to formulate a rule of reason.
Quote:
When you actually said anything rational (once) Laughing, it was acknowledged.

Arrogance and incorrectness are two qualities one should not possess at the same time. You can salvage some respect by having one without the other, but not with both.

Quote:
You appear to be missing the point. By subjecting it to logical analysis, we have seen that theft is ultimately self-refuting. This necessarily makes it logically false. That is the true/false determination of its value. This is an objective determination.

You do know what I meant by deriding your example as a definitional tautology, cause it seems I understand your point better than you.

Quote:
Built into the concept of truth is an objective standard. And it is by that standard that the contradictory beliefs must necessarily be weighed. If "moral relativism" were true, then these contradictory beliefs have to be equal. Since they can't be equal, "moral relativism" is logically false.

Now who is begging the question?

Your entire argument resides on your assumption that all truth is objective.

Quote:
If one is interested in truth, then one abandons logical falsehood and accepts logical truth.

Are you interested in truth?

I am interested in constructive discussion and reasoned arguments.

Arrogant derision and constant restatement without validation are not among my interests.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
@Whoever,
Whoever,

First off, while I think moral deliberation can be conscious, the moral sympathies that I have been referring to (and are essential to my opinion that morality is subjective and relative) are not conscious. We do not consciously choose our basic wants and values. We can certainly choose some values and wants, but in order to choose there must be a preexisting set of values and wants in order to make judgment on the new set. From this we can conclude either an infinite regress or some set of values and wants that are innate and personally unquestionable.

This is what I am referring to when I say that moral decisions require both emotional and rational input. The emotional input is the motivation, what we want, the material. The rational input is the prioritization of wants, the method by which we relate our wants to their fruition, it is the relation of what is real, not reality itself. We can examine the relationships formulated by our reason all day long, but at the end we must accept that they are unfounded and unmotivated without some real material desire behind it.

An example of what I am talking about:

A woman wants a car. She wants a car because she reasons that it is necessary in order to have a job. She wants a job because she reasons that it is necessary in order to support her family. At this point she doesn't reason out that it is important to support her family, she just knows it is.

So at the base of all our decisions rests a set of core natural values that are both unfounded and unquestionable. We simply do not require justification for them.

So while it is true that we cannot test consciousness, we can test for these sympathies. If we have a very advanced robot that is distinguished from a human in physiology but not in behavior, it may be true that we will never be able to tell if this robot experiences consciousness, but we can trace back to its programming and determine the material processes that brought about a decision. Humans and their values are much the same.

Your example rests on the subjective understanding of the relative position of all humans as morally equal sentient beings. There is no objective backing for the this understanding. That moral system may be universal (as is the one I am espousing, why I made the comparison between our two systems), but it is relative and subjective.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:12 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
If reality is different for everybody then how can morals be absolute anyways, and be justified at the same time? That just puts the whole debate at rest I think. We act in causality to reality and in response to our ego, influenced by reality. So what moral stance does everybody take here?

So can we get back to discussing the thread now since nobody can give a case for objective morality.
0 Replies

Steerpike

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:51 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Again, I am justifying moral relativism not with moral relativism but with the nature and development of human understanding and social behavior.

You are off track. We were discussing this:

Two propositions, show me the contradiction:

1. Steerpike justifiably believes it is wrong to murder.
2. There is no absolute moral system.

The belief in proposition one can't justify itself. If that belief is to be justified, then in must have an objective basis. That is where the contradiction comes from. If there is no objective basis, then the belief can't be justified.

I am quite plainly saying that there is objective truth to moral relativism.

Formal logic has shown it logically false. There has been self-contradiction and circularity. Previously, you had mentioned ontology. Ontology/existentialism is possibly the most irrational branch of philosophy. Irrationality is systematically incompatible with truth.

I know what "begging the question" means. I just wonder how can quote a statement with no argument behind it and still manage to claim it uses circular reasoning. The portion you quoted had no reason involved whatsoever.

Now here is the argument:

1. Human reason deals only in abstract relationships. It determines that the brightness of the sun hurts one's eyes, but it doesn't determine that the sun is bright.

2. Moral decisions require underlying values that are real and documentable
material processes. Every moral rule falls to the question of "why". There is no rule that is justified in itself and eventually they get broken down to some value that is necessary to the person for no reason.

3. If moral decisions require some real value that cannot be questioned, and human reason only deals with relationships between the real and not reality itself, then human reason alone is insufficient for moral judgment.

4. If reason itself is not sufficient and real values that are wrapped in the nature of humanity must also be referenced, then all men are the measure of morality and morality is relative.

Please identify which portion of this argument engages in circular logic.

This is what you were trying to prove.

Reason can never tell us what to want, only how to get it, and so reason alone is powerless in developing a should.

Your number one and number three are merely restating what you are trying to prove.

I completely agree that experience and reason can both be applied to formulate knowledge, but you said reason has a a posteriori basis. Name one instance where experience is used to formulate a rule of reason.

Joe is hungry. The last time Joe ate food his hunger went away. If Joe eats food when he is hungry, then his hunger goes away.

Now who is begging the question?

Your entire argument resides on your assumption that all truth is objective.

"Subjective truth" is pseudo-intellectual rubbish for pseudo-intellectuals.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
@Steerpike,
Steerpike wrote:
The belief in proposition one can't justify itself. If that belief is to be justified, then in must have an objective basis. That is where the contradiction comes from. If there is no objective basis, then the belief can't be justified.

You are showing fallacy or poor logic, you are questioning one of the statements. You question the statement because you assume objective truth. Why does justification require objective truth?

Quote:
This is what you were trying to prove.

Your number one and number three are merely restating what you are trying to prove.

No, I was attempting to prove that morality is relative and show my logic so that you could provide an example of where the logic is circular.

You could see the final statement I made, my conclusion, was "then all men are the measure of morality and morality is relative."

What you are quoting from before was an aside where you denied that emotional sympathies play a role in moral decision making, and could never be construed as my central point on this topic. It was quite clearly a supporting argument for the conclusion, which would explain why it is quite similar to 3).

Quote:
Joe is hungry. The last time Joe ate food his hunger went away. If Joe eats food when he is hungry, then his hunger goes away.

I know this is going to get a terrible response, but at what point did Joe experience the causal relationship between his eating and the end of his hunger? Please remember that there is difference between temporal relation and causal relation.

Quote:
"Subjective truth" is pseudo-intellectual rubbish for pseudo-intellectuals.

Fantastic non-answer. Your debating style must be very self-satisfactory.
Steerpike

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:22 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
You are showing fallacy or poor logic, you are questioning one of the statements. You question the statement because you assume objective truth. Why does justification require objective truth?

Your understanding of logic is flawed.

Either something is true or it is not true. If it is true, then it is objectively true.

Here are some of your own words.

The moral itself is self-referential and the holder must accept that he cannot appeal to the objective truth of his morality.

Let's try this again. The belief is not self-justifying as that would be question begging.

No, I was attempting to prove that morality is relative and show my logic so that you could provide an example of where the logic is circular.

Then you some how got off track. No big deal. It happens. Smile

What you are quoting from before was an aside where you denied that emotional sympathies play a role in moral decision making, and could never be construed as my central point on this topic. It was quite clearly a supporting argument for the conclusion, which would explain why it is quite similar to 3).

The idea merited looking at. While emotions do play a role in peoples ethical decision making, it is not actually necessary for emotion to be part of the equation. Smile
0 Replies

Whoever

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:35 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Quote:
Holiday - Morals are beliefs of right and wrong, right and wrong is either an interpretation of reality, or actuality. You cannot just glue the two together to have this belief-fact system.

It would certainly be a mistake to glue them together arbitrarily, or according to some dogma. But if they are glued together in actuality then there's no problem. I know you don't believe that they are glued together, but your beliefs are not the deciding factor here.

Whoever,

Your example rests on the subjective understanding of the relative position of all humans as morally equal sentient beings.

Exactly, This is why I said that the view I expressed gave morality neither a strictly objective or subjective basis.

Quote:
There is no objective backing for the this understanding.

In your opinion. I disagree.

Quote:
That moral system may be universal (as is the one I am espousing, why I made the comparison between our two systems), but it is relative and subjective.

It is also absolute and objective. Which it is depends only on which way you want to look at it. After all, when it comes down to it your entire reality is subjective.

You would not jump off a cliff because you know you'd ave to suffer the consequences. Thus your understanding of gravity, or, at least, of the fact that things fall down, prevents you from acting in a certain way. There is no in principle reason why moral behaviour should not be determined in the same way, as derived from an understanding of the laws of the universe. Of course, you may say that there are no laws which bear on morality, as many people believe, but for a rational view this would have to be proved, not just assumed.

Whoever
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@Whoever,
Whoever wrote:
There is no in principle reason why moral behaviour should not be determined in the same way, as derived from an understanding of the laws of the universe. Of course, you may say that there are no laws which bear on morality, as many people believe, but for a rational view this would have to be proved, not just assumed.

How would the existing rules of the universe imply how we should behave?
Whoever

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
How would the existing rules of the universe imply how we should behave?

I'll have a go at an answer, but I'm afraid I don't see how to make it a brief one.

First, let me say that I don't want to force my view of the universe on you, only to show that the rules of the universe may be such as to allow us rationally derive a system of behaviour from them that would seem to embody a moral code.

For such a universe, in addition to those laws we all agree are discernable, those of physics, logic etc., there would have to be the laws of karma. These latter laws would be natural and strictly deterministic, no different in their operation from the laws of physics. The experiences we have over our lifetime would somehow leave their mark on us, an imprint if you like, and these would somehow be carried over in such a way as to determine 'our' (or perhaps it would be better to say 'a') rebirth.

The context for these laws would be the unity of all sentient beings. The universe would reduce to some kind of spiritual unity or monistic Absolute, in line with the view of Spencer-Brown, Bradley, Hegel, Spinoza, Parmenides, Zeno, Heraclitus and so on.

The situation in this (hypothetical) universe would be that for a person who is aware of the identity of all beings and who is also aware of the karmic laws at work, moral behaviour would simply be rational behaviour. We would not jump off a cliff because of the consequences for ourself. We would not push somene else of a cliff for precisely the same reason. Moral judgements would be made entirely on the basis of self-interest, but (and this is the crucial bit) only to the extent that we are aware of those laws. If we are not aware of them then we must act according to a more subjective judgement of what constitutes right and wrong.

What would follow is that there would be no objective morality, if what we mean by this is that there is a cosmic rulebook somewhere which serves as an absolute standard for human behaviour. There would be no action which is a priori 'bad or 'good' in such a universe. Everything would depend on the context, our motives and our knowledge of the facts, and not our visible actions. Yet at the same time moral judgements would not be subjective, since (in principle) they can be made entirely by reference to the laws of the universe, with no room for personal foibles.

According to the worldview I have just described (horribly inadequately) the argument as the whether a system of morality should be or can be subjective or objective becomes pointless. We could look at it either way.

Behind this hypothetical universe lies a bigger idea, and this helps to make sense of this view of morality, which is that all distinctions are resolved in the Absolute. The subjective/objective distinction would be just one of these distinctions.

Bradley puts it like this in his Essays on Truth and Reality.

"There are those for whom the outer world is one given fact, and again the world of my self another fact; and there are others for whom only one of these two facts is ultimate. It is in philosophy a common doctrine that there is immediate certainty only on the side of my self, a basis from which I should have thought that Solipsism must demonstrably follow.... But in truth neither the world nor the self is an ultimately given fact. On the contrary each alike is a construction and a more or less one-sided abstraction. There is even experience in feeling where self and not-self are not yet present and opposed; and again every state where there is an experience of the relation of not-self to self is above that relation. It is a whole of feeling which contains these elements, and this felt containing whole belongs to neither by itself. 'Subject and object', you say perhaps, 'are correlated in experience'; and, I presume, you would agree that we have here one experience which includes the correlation. But are we to say that this experience itself is a mere correlation?"

For Bradley subject and object would be two aspects of an 'all-containing Universe' and the distinction between them relative, while to take them as two ultimately different things would be quite simply an error.

This is the view reached by Erwin Schroedinger, who from an analysis of freewill and determinism concluded that these must be somehow non-different, merely contradictory and complementary aspects of one phenomenon, and that this entailed, as he puts it, 'I am God.' Iow, for an ultimate view we all share the same identity. (Even as late as the 1950's his regular publisher refused to publish the book in which he makes this claim on grounds of heresy).

There is therefore a problem for anyone holding this worldview, for one must half-agree and half-disagree with those who claim morality is subjective, and half-agree and half-disagree with those who claim it is subjective, where both sides will think one is nuts.

Put simply this view would say that the old advice, 'Do as you would be done by,' is sound, and it would be sound because of the way the universe is.

I can only hope some of that made sense.

Regards
Whoever
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:44 am
@Whoever,
I appreciate your extrapolation, but it doesn't answer my question very well.

Even if we can document these Karmic laws, how are we to know they are right? That was the question: how does the existence of a law prove the correctness of a law? Its an old question.
Whoever

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:30 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I appreciate your extrapolation, but it doesn't answer my question very well.

Even if we can document these Karmic laws, how are we to know they are right? That was the question: how does the existence of a law prove the correctness of a law? Its an old question.

Hmm. I think I see what you mean. It's a tricky question.

First, how would we know of these karmic laws in the first place? For the universe I'm describing this would be knowledge by identity. Such knowledge would be possible because the universe would be a unity.

Second, how do we know these laws are 'right'? I've given this some thought and still can't think of a quick way of answering. To be honest its not a question I've ever heard asked or answered. For the moment I'd say, and I'm sorry if it sounds cryptic, that for the universe I'm describing right and wrong would not really exist. Or, if you like, you could think of the 'Way' of Taoism. For the Taoist it is because right and wrong were invented that the Way was abandoned. To be a follower of the Way is to act (or not-act) according to the laws of the universe. How can this be morally wrong? Still, I suppose it could be wrong, and there should be a better answer.

The main thing to bear in mind is that for this universe all distinctions would be category errors, and so your question would be built on a conceptual error, that of reifying our human idea of right and wrong and trying to impose these categories on the universe as a whole. It would be meaningless to say that the universe as a whole is right or wrong, or black or white, or big or small etc. As Kant says, all selective conclusions about the world as a whole are undecidable.

No, it's no good, I'm waffling. I'll ponder some more. Or is that an answer?

Whoever
0 Replies

Anthrobus

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:39 pm
@Holiday20310401,
MORALITY: assurredly only applies where the ACT is INTENTIONAL, but and that where the ACT is UNINTENTIONAL no MORALITY can apply. A psychotic ACT being based upon an inner misrepresentation of the outer reality would always have to be UNINTENTIONAL, and therefore no censure applies....
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Whoever,

You were correct you first stated that morality doesn't apply to such a scenario. Morality only applies to intentional action, and so any force not exerted by an intentional actor will be devoid of moral weight.

This also means that morality is incomprehensible outside of the human method of forming intention. Simply, only a conscious individual can determine a "should".

Even more simply, "ought" implies option. Unless there is a choice, moral deliberation is meaningless; it would be ludicrous to say that gravity should not cause planes to crash.

Of course, because of the problem of different minds that you mentioned earlier, decision making is only understood in terms of the reason and emotion of the decision maker and not through objective observation.
Anthrobus

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 03:48 pm
@Holiday20310401,
This also means that morality is incomprehensible outside of the human method of forming intention...the other word for this I think is MOTIVATION...now motivation that is unintentional is moral-less, whereas motivation that is intentional is moral-full: the question is whether that intentional motivation is selfish and bad or otherish and good...this question can only ever be established by the result of the action that the motivation induces...but sometimes a selfish intentional motivation backfires and produces an otherish result...and one for the good...my oh my the world is complex...
Whoever

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Whoever,

You were correct you first stated that morality doesn't apply to such a scenario. Morality only applies to intentional action, and so any force not exerted by an intentional actor will be devoid of moral weight.

Clearly we are having a misunderstanding. Of course morality presupposes intention, and of course I did not suggest otherwise. This would have nothing to do with whether morality applies to the scenario.

Quote:
This also means that morality is incomprehensible outside of the human method of forming intention. Simply, only a conscious individual can determine a "should".

Even more simply, "ought" implies option. Unless there is a choice, moral deliberation is meaningless; it would be ludicrous to say that gravity should not cause planes to crash.

Can we not just take all this for granted? Who would disagree with any of it?

Quote:
Of course, because of the problem of different minds that you mentioned earlier, decision making is only understood in terms of the reason and emotion of the decision maker and not through objective observation.

I can't match up your premise and conclusion here but never mind that. What on earth is 'objective observation'? Do you believe that morality is subjective but observation is objective?