The Mind will do exactly what the Brain has instructed

boagie

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... why does it necessarily have to be the case that one is "in charge" of the other? Wink ...

Paulhanke,Smile

Excellent point Paulhanke, but, as an evolutionary consideration it is foolish to consider the mind proceeding the body in development. If you consider this development then you must come to the conclusion that the body produced the mind. You however are correct, in considering function, one cannot separate these things. It does however, for some reason seem self-evident to me, that the mind/brain is in service to the body, certainly it is not the other way around. When the mind wants what the body does not, one has a problem.
paulhanke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 12:06 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
It does however, for some reason seem self-evident to me, that the mind/brain is in service to the body, certainly it is not the other way around. When the mind wants what the body does not, one has a problem.

... suicide bombers seem to be fact not easily explained by the view that the mind/brain is in service to the body ... it may have started out that the brain was 100% in service to the body, but such relationships can change over (evolutionary) time ...
xris

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:07 am
@paulhanke,
Is it me or has this become a question of brain and body not mind and body? I thought by the thread it was questioning the possibility of two entities withing the human ability..are there not layers of brain,the reptilian brain,the memory banks the contacts with the outside world... its full of layers but you eventually come to the psyche, the mind the real "I"...is it a belief system to believe its possibility? or can it be proved?I always saw the relationship as hardware and software both are essential as they are in a computer or is this an oversimplification..
0 Replies

Stormalv

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 10:21 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;29663 wrote:
... why does it necessarily have to be the case that one is "in charge" of the other? Wink ...

That's my thoughts, I think the spirit influences the brain, and from the brain, the body, and the other way around as well. The spirit experiences the energy in the brain, and it can also manipulate it. So I believe in free will, but there's no philosophical paradox considering drugs and head traumas and stuff like that Smile
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:55 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke,Smile

You might say that the suicide bomber is an example of Dawinian selection, he/she is taken out of the gene pool as a result of being so enstrangle from their own nature. Suicide bombers are contenders for Dawinian awards. They are not great examples of well being.
0 Replies