Infinity

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
Ok I was pondering infinity for a minute and realized that if I looked at infinity in two categories I could reason 1, sort of.

If I looked at infinity at an instantaneous perspective like, if in one instant I can only grasp a certain amount of knowledge from my brain then I guess I could give it value 4 or something like that. And then the rest of my knowledge in the brain could have value 10,000,000.

In the context of an instant I have all that knowledge potentially, but not able to grasp in the instant so it remains latent. So relative to an instant, 10,000,000 is infinity. Our minds handle infinity as a syntax because each instant cannot stack so I cannot have 4+4+4... and eventually get to 10,000,000. That's 4D perception in which case infinity has to be infinity squared to be infinity, which we can still grasp, because the universe can be no other way, because the information does stack in a certain manner, causality. All actions result as reason for probable effects. This connotes quite similarily to 4+3+1.6+0.4+0.007...

I think we have imperfect 4D perception in which memory acts as the residue. So 4+3+1.6+0.4+0.007...

So perhaps the universe is perceived the way it is based on the limited potential of the mind.

However, if infinity is unconditional, it remains irrational. So is infinity just an illusion or is it existent. Afterall, our minds create the idea of infinity.

So infinity is just the unapproachable in relation to time. If there is time then infinity is a relative proportion, if not, then infinity doesn't exist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:05 am
@Holiday20310401,
It might be that the mind has a large amount of knowledge potentially, but isn't it able to select from that potential the bits of knowledge that is useful (or applies) to the subject-at-hand? I many have many interesting facts---animal, vegetable, and mineral like the modern major-general---in my head, the table of elements, state capitals, times tables, and Shakespear's sonnets all memorised, but these "do not count" when I am considering which restaurant to go to, or the problem of Plato's Forms.

I also suggest that if infinity is a universal, then it is not necessary to have each and every example before the mind, to conceive of it (in which case it would have "existence") just as, for example, it is not necessary to have before one's mind a mental picture of every chair one has seen in one's life to understand the universal "chair."
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:27 pm
@jgweed,
Is infinity the same as nothing? You subtract 1 from infinity and you still get equal to infinity so it has no value.
validity

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:47 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Is infinity the same as nothing? You subtract 1 from infinity and you still get equal to infinity so it has no value.

If when you say nothing, you mean zero, then infinity is not the same as zero. Infinity is not a number, so subtraction is meaningless, whereas zero is a number, so subtraction from zero has meaning.

You can not subtract numbers from non-numbers.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:32 pm
@validity,
No, nothing is not zero. Zero is a value.
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:47 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday,Smile

Nothing has value that is not given it by a subject such as yourself. You have given the symbolic figure one above, a material value. You also give infinity x numerical value. These in my mind are rather different concepts, but yeah, it is you that is supplying the values and you that supplies any meaning there of. If you really considered infinity, I think you would find that you could not subtract anything from infinity, simply because your part of it, standing on the corner of nowhere and everywhere.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:40 pm
@boagie,
So then if the universe is syntactically infinite then every single indivisible object is interconnected to every single other indivisible object.
validity

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:43 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
So then if the universe is syntactically infinite then every single indivisible object is interconnected to every single other indivisible object.

It certainly takes the six degrees of separation to a universal level.

What do you mean by interconnected?
xris

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 06:10 am
@validity,
infinity is a second away and the infinite universe an inch away...time and distants describes our relationship to each of them but they can never describe infinty..
0 Replies

validity

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:45 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

I was thinking about your post and I had a question. Why do you think in terms of syntactically infinite, when presented with finite indivisible objects? As long as there are finite parts, there will be finite connections

For thought: There are more decimals than natural numbers eg there are many more numbers with decimals between 1 and 3 than the number of whole numbers ie 1.1,1.2,1.3 etc v's 2. Clearly the infinite number of decimals is larger than the infinite number of natural numbers.

The meaning of infinity, is that from which it is derived. If I presented you with two infinites, you can only tell which one is larger by the way in which the infinity is constructed.
0 Replies

No0ne

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:22 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

It seem's you are talking about this kind of infinity.

A infinite amount of combinations of actions/numbers/things/scenarios.

Example.1

So right now when your reading this your computer turns into jesus.
So right now when your reading this your computer dose not turn into jesus.

Do you see the problem with a infinite existence?

Since one of the scenarios would dictate that it would and another would dictate it would not, and one scenario would dictate this would happen at the same time as the other, and one scenario would dictate it would not, and one would dictate that it would all happen in a finite existence that we live in, and one would state that it all would not, so on and so on, infinitly.

As you can see by looking at your computer, such a conflict dosnt exist within the existence we all dwel within, and therefore there are two major conflicting set's of actions/numbers/things/scenarios that are taken out of are existence to prevent such a conflict that would utterly "crash" you.

Basicaly Infinity -2...

If you where to subtract 1 from infinity the other would still exist stating that you did not subtract 1 from infinity and it never happend, so thats why...

True Infinity +2 (beyond duality of dualism of infinity)
Infinity 0 (Mental Thoughts)
Finite -2 (Physical Bodies)

+++PLease dont get this mixed up with A infinitly reoccuring number/action/thing/scenario...+++

(:detective:*Note Are physical realm will crash if dictated by a infinite amount of combinations of actions/numbers/things/scenarios due to one or more conflicting actions/numbers/things/scenarios with everyones finite body perception)

If you have any more question's or want more details, or want to know what all this can imply to everything els, just ask.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:51 pm
@No0ne,
So basically, if having some 3D data (perceived data) viewed as information, the contextual process for bringing about the information could (though I'd go as far as to say would) be radically different from the 4D contextual process to bring about the 4D information.

Oh ok... so data is dimensionally undefined.
No0ne

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:36 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
So basically, if having some 3D data (perceived data) viewed as information, the contextual process for bringing about the information could (though I'd go as far as to say would) be radically different from the 4D contextual process to bring about the 4D information.

Oh ok... so data is dimensionally undefined.

(Note* Bodies take in infomation in 3D format via light, which means 3D formated eyes cannot VISUALY see 4D formated information in its raw state, therefore it must be translated/converted into another form of information that can be understood and perceived in a 3D format via light or other sense's.)

And therefore 4D information can never be seen in its raw un-altered state from a 3D point of view, due to 4D's contexture

Yet I would say its not so "radically different" it only is depending on what infomation needs to be extracted, and therefore would require a special len's or method of convertion.
0 Replies