On Strings and Waves

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
What if every single object is connected by a string to every other object in the universe. And these strings can only contract and stretch. When they do so the tension is equal on all parts of the string making the contracting and stretching of the string appear as folds that look a lot like waves.

This would allow for two relative objects to have an objective inference on one another. And the strings attached do not carry any force of their own, they just act as information carriers.

What I mean is, why do scientists believe that a wave is emitted from an object? Why can't it be the contracting and expanding of the string seen in waves as the relative of two objects influencing eachother. And the only time you can see the waves is when there is a change in the string.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Richardgrant

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@Holiday20310401,
To me all creation is made up of waves in motion, a wave is three dimensional, conical in shape, and spiral in motion. one half the wave is compression and the other half is expansion. Its the balanced interchange between these action reaction that constitutes creation.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:04 am
@Richardgrant,
Interesting theory Holiday. I'm sure you could look at existance in that way. Even mathematically.

Waves however are not up and down motion. Waves are an exchange from one realm to another.
Electro-Magnetic waves are waves in electric field potential and magnetic field potential.
Sound waves are really waves in pressure.
Think of it more like a straight spring. You move the spring forward and it crunches together and you move it back and it expands. This compression and expansion will make a wave across the length of the spring.

What happens when two particles get too close together? They end up repelling because they enter each others electron field.

Keep thinking though.. creative thought!
0 Replies

validity

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 12:49 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
What I mean is, why do scientists believe that a wave is emitted from an object? Why can't it be the contracting and expanding of the string seen in waves as the relative of two objects influencing eachother. And the only time you can see the waves is when there is a change in the string.

Because waves* can be detected leaving objects and these strings, as described, have not. What are these strings made of? If they connect every object to every object and carry information, there should be plenty to detect.

* Cautionary note, wave-particle duality! The term wave implies a medium that is waving. A photon emitted from, say an atom, does not require a medium to propagate.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
@validity,
validity wrote:
Because waves* can be detected leaving objects and these strings, as described, have not. What are these strings made of? If they connect every object to every object and carry information, there should be plenty to detect.

* Cautionary note, wave-particle duality! The term wave implies a medium that is waving. A photon emitted from, say an atom, does not require a medium to propagate.

Gravity is theorized by a wave known as the Graviton. It is as of yet undetectable. It is theorized that the wave is in the fabric of Space-Time.

I don't necissarily agree with this, but it is a valid theory that is worthy of investigation.
The fact is that you are correct about waves needing to travel through a medium, but according to the maxwell equations, light dies off when it is in a medium.
Apparently a difference in electric or magnetic potential does not need a medium. Rather It is the medium.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:03 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Am I mistaken or is this not what String theory is saying? Every fundamental particle is the result of vibrations in a string in whatever many dimensions.
And no, you don't need a medium for wave propagation. That would bring us back to ideas on Aether. Photons for instance can indeed travel in empty space(if such a beast really existed).
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:03 pm
@sarek,
sarek wrote:
Am I mistaken or is this not what String theory is saying? Every fundamental particle is the result of vibrations in a string in whatever many dimensions.
And no, you don't need a medium for wave propagation. That would bring us back to ideas on Aether. Photons for instance can indeed travel in empty space(if such a beast really existed).

Yea, internal strings though.. he's speaking about interconnected strings. Different concept.

You need some type of medium for a wave otherwise what is the wave 'made of'?
Light is a wave in electric potential and magnetic potential.

Light is the medium.

And photons are particles which don't need a medium to propagate.(depending on the way you look at them)
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:37 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Ok, as I am no expert and am trying to do some research on the nature of waves and what you mean by mediums, I'm going to steer clear from this discussion until something formidable comes to mind and I can contribute properly.

However, why do forces "propogate", I'm infering this from the graviton being a wave all of a sudden. I thought it was a particle, but I suppose this is the wave-particle duality here?

What if the actuality we think we are getting to know as waves, is in fact still too dualistic to be actuality and therefore not intrinsic enough to grasp why forces are the way they are.

For instance, what is a wave propagating exactly, in terms of context. Is it information or data, or does that depend on the point of view?

And why are waves considered the actuality to begin with?:perplexed:
Richardgrant

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:33 am
@Holiday20310401,
My understanding is that all waves are cycles of motion - compression and expansion, in breath and out breath. Every mass in the universe breathes in and out, there is no exception of this law, which every nebula,sun, planet, or electron of every atom obeys, but in varying frequencies appropriate to there potential. A man may breathe twenty times a minute, while the suns freqency is one cycle every eleven years.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:38 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:
Yea, internal strings though.. he's speaking about interconnected strings. Different concept.

You need some type of medium for a wave otherwise what is the wave 'made of'?
Light is a wave in electric potential and magnetic potential.

Light is the medium.

And photons are particles which don't need a medium to propagate.(depending on the way you look at them)

It's not necessarily a different concept. What if the strings of superstring theory themselves are all interconnected? Why couldn't they be?
QM postulates that the observer becomes part of the observed, supposedly as part of a bigger metasystem. So I believe that at the very least the visible part of the universe can be seen as one big system.

Photons and other particles are also wave functions where the wave describes the probability of finding them somewhere.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:01 am
@sarek,
sarek wrote:
It's not necessarily a different concept. What if the strings of superstring theory themselves are all interconnected? Why couldn't they be?
QM postulates that the observer becomes part of the observed, supposedly as part of a bigger metasystem. So I believe that at the very least the visible part of the universe can be seen as one big system.

Photons and other particles are also wave functions where the wave describes the probability of finding them somewhere.

I agree with you, but string theory today does not take this path. (not that I agree with string theory) Holiday's theory has a degree of uniqueness to it.
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:09 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Have you ever considered the quantum pendulum theory...how we as vibrating energy can be present everywhere by the laws of quantum mechanics..Some say it explains so many claims of distant viewing dowsing etc...maybe too much to accept??
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:48 pm
@xris,
The quantum pendulum theory seems to have this analog trait to it, rather than binaric.

Is this pendulum effect in the level of information or data? Perhaps there is reciprocity of the quantum and classical contexts by the quantum stating the data and the classical stating the information. The pendulum seems to be on the level of context, IMO. (based on scanning googled results).

And then the connectedness of everything to everything else that I posited seems to be a more intrinsic level. I am a bit confused here.
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:20 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
The quantum pendulum theory seems to have this analog trait to it, rather than binaric.

Is this pendulum effect in the level of information or data? Perhaps there is reciprocity of the quantum and classical contexts by the quantum stating the data and the classical stating the information. The pendulum seems to be on the level of context, IMO. (based on scanning googled results).

And then the connectedness of everything to everything else that I posited seems to be a more intrinsic level. I am a bit confused here.
well that statement of yours definitely confused me...it is similar in its having the same conclusion that everything could be every where at all times...a bit like we could all be omnipresent at least..
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:01 am
@xris,
In that sense we always existed, just in a different configuration, and we always will exist.
Our particles are eternal and existed at the time of the big bang.

Anyone who took highschool physics knows that waves are similar to pendulum motion. Both have the same formulae (also circular motion).

You can visualize waves as a pendulum motion. This is always viable.
xris

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:45 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:
In that sense we always existed, just in a different configuration, and we always will exist.
Our particles are eternal and existed at the time of the big bang.

Anyone who took highschool physics knows that waves are similar to pendulum motion. Both have the same formulae (also circular motion).

You can visualize waves as a pendulum motion. This is always viable.
I known that but the quantum theory is that a pendulum at the actual point of balance between rising and falling disappears into infinity...Its then as you say it can be related to a wave motion when the wave is at acertain point it too disappears...Ive heard a recent theory there is only one electron in the universe andit is appearing everywhere..Who knows?? i dont...
0 Replies