Voting System Bias

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:04 pm
Should the voting system be biased to one's education, being how informed one is, like say there are tests that you could take to give your vote more 'say'?

Or should everyone be forced to vote and everyone has equal say, including the bureaucrats?

Or should the voting system be open season. You can choose to vote, knowing that your vote will have just as much say as the next citizen?

I believe that there should be a system of voting that requires tests that can increase 'say', and everyone starts with equal say, including the bureaucrats, and people can have the choice to vote.:a-ok:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 956 • Replies: 5
No top replies

de budding

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I'm sure there are some people out there who shouldn't vote for one reason or another, but these types will tend not to vote anyway. Like myself Laughing
Dan.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:30 pm
@de budding,
Yeah - you can vote, or play with yourself at home. Personally, I prefer the house.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:47 pm
@Holiday20310401,
To bias voting in a way that values one vote over another, destroys the purpose of voting. One could argue that in places like the United States that employ the electoral college system that the point of voting is destroyed anyway. The idea behind a popular vote is to derive the popular mandate this includes the uneducated.

Having said this, it is mostly the educated that vote already. In the united states anyway they are either the left leaning educated, or the right leaning educated, being that it is mostly a two party system. It often seems to the people who's party/ideal/platform is not in power that the other group is uneducated. Now, however, if you are refering to the divide between the academic - educated, versus the corporate - educated or the non-religious-educated versus the religious-educated, these most often divide down party lines as well.

Also if I am not mistaken, a preponderance of college educated people vote down a left leaning ticket, while those that are less than college educated tend to vote down a right leaning ticket. It would fall that the more skewed towards higher education that a vote is would mean a more left leaning ticket, which has the probability of disenfranchising the right leaning voters often, creating yet another form of elitism.
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:41 pm
@GoshisDead,
:lol:Even politics is digital, media, sway, and opinions, oh and ads.:saddened:

But still, should there not be added recognition for the wise people, I'm not saying educated because that is biased right there, but people who have good intellect. And then tests could be designed to seek them out and reward by more sway
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:43 pm
@Holiday20310401,
And what if it you were a German citizen during the election of Hitler, would you vote, or be apathetic.
0 Replies