From "The Egoist"

Khethil

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:25 pm
I ran across this the other day from George Meredith's "The Egoist". I'm not sure it'll strike anyone else this way; but for me, its one of those passages that's so finely crafted, so perspicuous and telling that anyone who's felt this can't help but be in awe. Anyway, thought I'd share;
[INDENT]"The lover who cannot wound has indeed lost anchorage; he is woefully adrift: he stabs at air, which is to stab himself. Her complacent proof-armour bids him know himself supplanted"
[/INDENT]Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,933 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Deckard

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:46 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;167409 wrote:
I ran across this the other day from George Meredith's "The Egoist". I'm not sure it'll strike anyone else this way; but for me, its one of those passages that's so finely crafted, so perspicuous and telling that anyone who's felt this can't help but be in awe. Anyway, thought I'd share; [INDENT]"The lover who cannot wound has indeed lost anchorage; he is woefully adrift: he stabs at air, which is to stab himself. Her complacent proof-armour bids him know himself supplanted"
[/INDENT]Thanks

To love is not to surrender. The lover must be also take care that whatever wounds s/he inflicts are not fatal or crippling as this will bring occasion for regret.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;167409 wrote:
I ran across this the other day from George Meredith's "The Egoist". I'm not sure it'll strike anyone else this way; but for me, its one of those passages that's so finely crafted, so perspicuous and telling that anyone who's felt this can't help but be in awe. Anyway, thought I'd share; [INDENT]"The lover who cannot wound has indeed lost anchorage; he is woefully adrift: he stabs at air, which is to stab himself. Her complacent proof-armour bids him know himself supplanted"
[/INDENT]Thanks

Yes, it is very frustrating not to get back at her. How could she not adore you?
0 Replies