What Axes do you Grind?

Khethil

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:19 pm
[CENTER]*** WARNING ***
Information posted under this thread is to be about you and you only. It is an exercise in humility and critical thinking towards personal betterment. I think it a good exercise to share this.
Further, I'd be eternally grateful if we'd leave off comments disputing or belittling others postings
*** WARNING ***
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think it's time we all heard your confession.[INDENT]QUESTION: What are the axes you grind? What are those hotspots that you just can't seem to leave alone or that get you all worked up?
[/INDENT]These should be specific to you, personally; and yes, many will be irrational. Who said emotions are rational? In any case, I know we all anxiously await seeing some of that humble honesty we all claim to have Wink

Thanks

[/CENTER]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,860 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:20 pm
@Khethil,
I'll go first, since that seems appropriate. In no particular order...[INDENT] 1. Calling the Good, Dirty: Probably the best example of this has to do with Sex. When I see references that belittle, degrade or otherwise describe the acts of sex as "slovenly" or "animalistic" I feel like I just want to slap someone. How do you think you got here? Isn't this something that is of the best part of being human?!
[/INDENT][INDENT]2. Atheism: In my heart of hearts I believe we'd all be so much better off if we focus on each other, rather than something we can't see, touch, feel, taste or even define. It bums me out that there are so many good people out there with their hearts focused somewhere out in the cosmos.
[/INDENT][INDENT] 3. Nationalism: I... hate... it. It's the smell! I too feel a good amount of patriotism in my own country but I'm a human FIRST! It is to this that I think we all should owe our allegiance. When I see anyone talking in a manner that implies national superiority I get mad.... just mad.
[/INDENT][INDENT] 4. Redefining into Absurdity: Whenever I see debates, articles or writings that obscure our collective reality into a murky, mushy nothingness I get all riled up! It bothers me that we can't live in the here-and-now.
[/INDENT][INDENT] 5. Arrogance: If I sense that someone isn't stating their opinion AS their opinion, my head wants to explode. There's nothing that'll get me SO ticked off as what I perceive to be wanton, presumptuous arrogance.
[/INDENT]Well now... that felt good.

Thanks
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:47 pm
@Khethil,
The axes I grind...

Religion as an effect in decision making: Faith belongs in the spiritual realm, political decisions should not conform to your beliefs, everybody needs to start using some intellect instead of basing their actions on what someone else would do from the spiritual realm, IMO. Social interaction and spiritual interaction are not mutually exclusive, so I guess its the fundamentalist aspects of religion I disapprove. (don't get me wrong though, I hate the sin but not the sinner, a theist would say) And yes, faith is a ok:a-ok: for how to live life, when its not conflicting with other people. Irrational suppositions are only going to make disagreements with others on what should happen much worse of a conflict. For example, why would people sympathize for Israel in the war just because the religion is the same as yours? (Why side with muslim or judaism just because that's your religion) Why not base one's side on the logic; the history of the past decisions and influences Israel has in respect to Palestine or Lebanon. In society, the spiritual emotional influences are less important.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 04:06 am
@Khethil,
I think the most important axe to grind for me is abuse of power in any form.

I am in the tax advisory business and I see every day how a lifeless, heartless unthinking machine in the worst Orwellian tradition more or less 'processes' its subjects in a highly Kafka-like fashion. In my country most tax related processes are highly automated and if anything goes wrong, no one is to blame, except off course always the tax payer.

I witness the maneuvres of political (and religious as well for that matter) leaders everywhere and see them time and again trying to limit our personal freedoms in the name of whatever comes to their mind. Security, morality, crimefighting and even convenience are reasons that routinely get abused fot this purpose.
Laws against smoking, laws governing the personal lives of people, cameras in public places, eavesdropping on E-traffic. Everything goes and there is always a plausible reason.
Doobah47

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 05:06 am
@sarek,
Well this 'axe' I have been thinking about for 5 minutes:

Sperm donation has decreased due to a change in the law regarding donor anonimity and rights of the child to contact their genetic father. According to the BBC.

First, I am outraged at the arrogance of men in believing that they are helping anything solely as primitive sexual creatures. Second, I think that the child MUST know from early childhood that they are a product of sperm donation and be given contact rights (although perhaps not physical until a prescribed 'adulthood' age - 18?). Third, I think the father must consent to the exact person to whom the sperm is being donated, although with the option for anonymous maternal lottery available (maybe for deceased insemination).
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:18 pm
@Doobah47,
I've reached the point where I don't get very emotional in debates. Usually takes an outright insult to get me emotionally worked up, and even then, I usually just laugh. Then again, I've always been argumentative. Apparently, when I was about three years old, I argued with my grandfather; I took the position that he was not my grandfather.

There are arguments I can't seem to ignore. Especially overgeneralizations about religion and religious belief.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:10 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
[INDENT] 3. Nationalism: I... hate... it. It's the smell! I too feel a good amount of patriotism in my own country but I'm a human FIRST! It is to this that I think we all should owe our allegiance. When I see anyone talking in a manner that implies national superiority I get mad.... just mad.

[/INDENT] I couldn't agree more. I love how you say, "I'm a human FIRST!" I think the world would be a lot better off if everyone could take this mindset.

After a lot of pondering I've come to the conclusion that all my "hotspots" can generally be boiled down to one common thread:

Phoniness. I can't stand it. Being somewhat of a relativist, I love encountering diversity. No difference in belief or way of life could get me angry at another person, as long as that person is being true to himself. Charlatans are the worst of this category...don't even get me started.

The only other thing that riles me up more is when all I want to do is ride my bicycle and I get a flat tire. :cool:
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
@Khethil,
1) War - no matter the excuse for it.
2) Greed - there is no excuse for it.
3) Despair - there is plenty of excuse for it, but seldom a good reason.
BlueChicken

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:51 pm
@Solace,
1. Atheism: People still have trouble understanding religion and their own position on it. I have no issue with atheism, people's faith is their own matter to solve, but when the absurd critiques of religion start coming out my ears prick up and my blood starts to boil. There is plenty of good discussion to be had here, I like to throw myself in any way I can to make sure it stays within the realm of critical thought.
2. Psychoanalysis: In my opinion this is the biggest joke philosophy and theory ever picked up and advanced. I come accross this much more in my critical theory (rather than 'philosophy') experiences, but when I do my eyes tend to roll. The 'hunt for phalluses' and attributing everything a person does to an unknown psychological force that determines what we do but it fundamentally unknowable has yet to convince me of anything. I spend more time arguing against the results of such analysis than producing my own: as much as it seems antithetical to any sort of 'productivity' I really can't seem to help myself.
3. Renegotiating Terms: Although I am sensitive to the issues of definitions, the absurd lengths some discourses go to define what terms means leads them into positions no longer worth arguing. If you have read Michael Ignatieff on torture you have some idea of how little use this sort of thinking is. Concrete definitions are impossibly: we don't need exact definitions, but rather basic ideas of what we are arguing or else no argument gets done. (I have had this argument about ontology and the nature of Being too many times to count)
4. Evolution: Evolution is well documented and evidenced to make some very specific claims: it is not the end-all explanation for everything. I can follow (although not necessarily agree) with some of the forays into anthropology and psychology, but when evolutionary literary criticism or evolutionary epistemology become buzz terms of discussion I start to get less rational and more enraged. I have thrown things.
5. Pretension: We are all guilty of this to some degree at some time or another: it seems to be the result of constantly thinking and reading ideas that most people never consider. My issue is when it becomes a virtue, something extolled and employed as either an attitude or even a method of argumentation. Maybe I have been stuck with some bad apples in my time, but it frightens me how common this is/is becoming.

I also have a special place in my heart (the black part) for Objectivists, but that will get its own rant at some point.
0 Replies

Oxymoron

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:08 pm
@Khethil,
People insulting another persons religion. Believe whatever you want, but give others that right too.
hammersklavier

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
@Khethil,
The Iraq War. From the beginning, I have been an outspoken advocate against it (even if I was only in tenth grade when it started) because it was political, unnecessary, and foolhardy. Even I could see that.

Religion in Politics. Yes, the United States is nationally composed mostly of Christians (with a significant minority of Jews), but does it not clearly state that there is to be a separation between church and state? (With that in mind, the gay marriage issue is particularly fuzzy because marriage is an institution both inherently religious and inherently political). We all want God's will be done (unless you're an atheist), but since all religions are equally right--the continuing validity of the enduring traditions, I believe it's called--and some of them have quite conflicting ideas on quite what God's will is, how can we institute them in politics?

Racism. Even though I'm Slavic.
Doobah47

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:55 am
@hammersklavier,
War is unnecessary, and in my mind relevant to a lack of education, or conversly 'mis-education' of large masses of genericised people.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 04:51 am
@Doobah47,
1.) The belief in objective morality. Morality, in and of itself, is subjective! Gah!!!

2.) The belief that humans are special.

3.) Having the need to call myself a "theist", "atheist" or "agnostic" just because of a notion we've constructed - God. I've since created my own set for believing in a creature called Hampsterpoo. If you accept the belief you're called a Hamsterist, if you denounce the belief you're called a Amsterist, and if you really don't know where you fall you're called a Aghamsteric. I see a lot of Amsterists out there... hmmm...

4.) The belief in inherent 'good', 'evil', 'right', 'wrong'. Oh, this one always gets me steaming. The universe just is!!

5.) People that have pride in country, sports team, or ethnicity. :brickwall:
oftenly

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:26 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
4.) The belief in inherent 'good', 'evil', 'right', 'wrong'. Oh, this one always gets me steaming. The universe just is!!

This, and how my (imperfect) nature convinces me it's not enough, how I feel the need to legitimize my existence, how my seemingly innate desire to prove something while I'm here clouds the above fact.

Much more, but it all stems from that.
Joe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:54 pm
@oftenly,
Competition. One major flaw in the concept that we can only progress through competition. I think its just a system that makes other systems look clear cut and essential. It hides truth, which of course is what really grinds my gears.
GHOST phil

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:14 pm
@Joe,
Zetherin said:
Quote:
People that have pride in country, sports team, or ethnicity. :brickwall:

Pride...what a terrible thing. It only leads to greed and competition, the need to feel important and more special than someone else, which essentially leads to violence, wars and despair. It leads to the ideas of right and wrong, good and evil, we analyse each other and label people according to our own beliefs, which leads to pretension, and more violence and despair. We are greedy! We like to feel impoortant, and we give ourselves pride according to what importance we think we have. Why don't we just stop, look around at how s**t the world is and work together to make it better, instead of against each other in attempt to make better only what we have pride in. I feel happy about the knowledge, achievements, and scientific developments of man, but I am not proud of them, not that man kind gives me much that I could be proud of, quiet frankly, human kind disgusts me. I just enjoy my existance without attempting to make it seem better than any other existance in hope of feeling better about myself.
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:50 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

5.) People that have pride in country, sports team, or ethnicity. :brickwall:

Well, that won't do at all! I have pride in my area (i.e., Philadelphia), my sports teams (Go Eagles! Go Phillies! Go Sixers! Go Flyers! Go Owls!), and my ethnic heritage (that is, western Slavic). I think those things are important for forming one's self-identity, that is (in the most stereotypical manner possible) I am a NY-hating Washington-agnostic Cowboys-hating Mets-hating Penguins-hating Hawks-hating Giants-hating Teuton-hater ha ha. Sports fandoms, in their proper context, allow their individuals to vent frustrations and emotions they could otherwise vent improperly.
Khethil

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:28 am
@hammersklavier,
When I see (what I perceive to be) a lack of compassion in someone, my compassion for them goes out the window.

How's that for hypocrisy?
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
@Khethil,
1. Manufacturers of packages products such as pasta that use an adhesive that is 10 times stronger than the packaging, causing the packaging to split open and spill its contents all over the place.

2. People that have convinced themselves that climate change is not a manmade problem based on a deduction they won't tell you.

In that order.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 01:29 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier wrote:
Well, that won't do at all! I have pride in my area (i.e., Philadelphia), my sports teams (Go Eagles! Go Phillies! Go Sixers! Go Flyers! Go Owls!), and my ethnic heritage (that is, western Slavic). I think those things are important for forming one's self-identity, that is (in the most stereotypical manner possible) I am a NY-hating Washington-agnostic Cowboys-hating Mets-hating Penguins-hating Hawks-hating Giants-hating Teuton-hater ha ha. Sports fandoms, in their proper context, allow their individuals to vent frustrations and emotions they could otherwise vent improperly.

Oh, and I disagree completely, but if you'd like to make a thread concerning this, I'd be more than happy to discuss my thoughts. Remember, this thread isn't about disputing the axes, but rather just sharing them.

Khethil wrote:
Further, I'd be eternally grateful if we'd leave off comments disputing or belittling others postings

PM me if you make the thread and I miss it.