Ignorance of the Law is no Excuse <?>

Caroline

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 11:21 am
@Khethil,
I think if I was going to call my company 'Hell', I would certainly be aware that I would be upsetting some people who'd find it blasphemous, I would feel that I would be doing somthing wrong even if I did not know exactly what it was, (breaking a law), i would not be totally ignorant of the fact that I would be upsetting some people whether there's a law against it or not. It comes down to common sense. If you feel that something you're doing is wrong then it's up to you to find out the extent of it if you're going to continue it any further as there will be effects. My solution would be - I wouldn't want to offend some people by calling my company 'Hell' anyway and that would stop it going further anyway thank goodness whether I wanted to call the company hell or not!
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 01:44 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
The issue isn't whether we can find every nuance on the books if we look. The issue is that we can't be expected to know every law of the land off the top of our head.

I was referring to the former, don't mind me.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 08:54 pm
@Khethil,
Sure, it's all in writing.

We might not know how it's conventionally interpreted, though, even if we know the letter of the law.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 06:23 am
@Khethil,
I just want to posit that just law prohibits what is wrong, and we have no obligation to follow unjust law.

This renders the original question pointless and shows us the pertinent question: Is ignorance of the "right" excuse for doing the "wrong"?
Fido

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:12 pm
@Khethil,
Ius (justice) is the Genus, and Lex (Law)a species of it; said Abalard...If it is not just it cannot be law, but only some form of coercion.... We are under no true moral obligation to follow an unjust law, but the peace is its own morality... In breaking the law where it is moral to do so one must also try to break the form of law without breaking the peace, which all people need...

In our law we have premium on peace, so that if you lose something and recover it by force you give that one who dispossessed you a better title than yourself...The Muslims follow no such nonsense, and all are considered to have an absolute right to justice; but then you see how far that gets them... If it were not for injustice we would have no jobs, no interests, no rents, and no great wealth or capiital... Yet, we see where the restrictions against spolation has gotten us...If no man can seek his own justice, and each must wait on justice to have peace, too often justice is kept waiting forever...If you must go to the ruling class for justice from the ruling class your cause is lost before it is begun, and so societies fail...But they must wait until injustice is suffered by enough of the people at one time so that the general need tips the whole society in a new direction...We are getting there...
Peace is not more important than justice, and is not a goal in itself, but peace through justice is essential to all societies...
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:53 pm
@Khethil,
Fundamental Christian tell us unless we accept Jesus as our saviour we are going to a lost eternity no matter how good we were in life.

So if you never had the opportunity to hear the dogma, go to church bad luck you are going to burn

But if Hitler had repented just prior to his death , he would go to heaven, even good people completely ignorant about the message of salvation, if they do not hear it and respond to it and repent it is eternal damnation

The last will be first and the first will be last and so

Ignorance of the truth is no excuse bad apples guys
Fido

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72361 wrote:
Fundamental Christian tell us unless we accept Jesus as our saviour we are going to a lost eternity no matter how good we were in life.

So if you never had the opportunity to hear the dogma, go to church bad luck you are going to burn

But if Hitler had repented just prior to his death , he would go to heaven, even good people completely ignorant about the message of salvation, if they do not hear it and respond to it and repent it is eternal damnation

The last will be first and the first will be last and so

Ignorance of the truth is no excuse bad apples guys

I am certain that even those who repent must still endure the pain they caused, which is to say punishment... For a long time, and perhaps yet, the Catholics would not allow the execution of the insane while in that state, because they needed to be allowed in a moment of lucidity to repent their sins...I think many of our more modern Christians welcome the chance to see some criminal suddenly dead, knowing they had no time to repent... It is most unchristian to want to send people to hell...In the old days, as fitted humanity's conception of group responsibility, many believed humanity, or at a minimum, one whole community would be judged together, and for that reason, even confession was a group, and community affair...
Dearhtead

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:17 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;54745 wrote:
I just want to posit that just law prohibits what is wrong, and we have no obligation to follow unjust law.

This renders the original question pointless and shows us the pertinent question: Is ignorance of the "right" excuse for doing the "wrong"?

The ignorance of the right can't excuse the wrong because each person know what is right and what is not, because what is right and what is wrong are evident.

The ignorance is the refusal of the right -an ignorant knows the right but rejects it- and so the ignorance is already a wrong thing.
Fido

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:32 pm
@Dearhtead,
Dearhtead;72443 wrote:
The ignorance of the right can't excuse the wrong because each person know what is right and what is not, because what is right and what is wrong are evident.

The ignorance is the refusal of the right -an ignorant knows the right but rejects it- and so the ignorance is already a wrong thing.

People know what is right.. They were moral long before they were legal...
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:39 pm
@Fido,
Fido;72418 wrote:
I am certain that even those who repent must still endure the pain they caused, which is to say punishment... For a long time, and perhaps yet, the Catholics would not allow the execution of the insane while in that state, because they needed to be allowed in a moment of lucidity to repent their sins...I think many of our more modern Christians welcome the chance to see some criminal suddenly dead, knowing they had no time to repent... It is most unchristian to want to send people to hell...In the old days, as fitted humanity's conception of group responsibility, many believed humanity, or at a minimum, one whole community would be judged together, and for that reason, even confession was a group, and community affair...

You are correct during the near death experience,many people have what is called the Life Review.

During the life review you experience in detail the effect/affect you have had on all the people your life touched during your life on earth. Both subjectively and objectively all down the network of the horrors or joys your life brought to yourself and others as well as the reverse of course.

So Hitler would/is experiencing all the sorrow, loss desolation terror of each everyone of his victims just as if he were living and became them himself.

God can condense an eternity into a millisecond or a second into an eternity. Think about it, Hitler would have live subjectively in real time the distress his evil empire afflicted on each person effected by the NAZI
POLICY OF DEATH AND SEPARATION . This would be his hell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_review

Subjects frequently describe their experience as panoramic, 3-D or holographic. During a life review, the subject's perception is reported to include not only their own perspective in increased vividness, as if they were reliving a given episode itself again, but that of all other parties they interact with at each point being reviewed. Betty Eadie's widely read account, in which she described the life as her best conception of hell, also described the life review as extending to ripples of one's life and acts out into further degrees of separation. Some believe this extension to have limitations.

The term 3D is employed to approximate the inclusion of different physical perspectives onto a scene; the intensity of a life review was described by one individual as enabling him to count every nearby mosquito; but equally common is the description of feeling the emotional experience of the other parties, including in one case virtually everyone in a room.

While some accounts appear to describe scenes as selected, others more commonly narrate the experience as including things they had, probably naturally, long ago entirely forgotten, with "nothing left out." Experiencers commonly describe the intense vividness and detail as making them feel more conscious and alive than when normally conscious.Or more pain and distress depending on the scenario they are reliving is great detail

The movie Gruesome is excellent and you should hire it from your nearest DVD store
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:15 am
@Khethil,
Sorry havn't read wall of txt, but I will reply to the headline.

It's a cynically way of enforcing the law, however it will do away with all the bickering and bad excuses.

..BUT!! ..I think all new legislations should be better avaliable, one could subscribe to relevant legislations and recive them whenever they would be released.
As of now it's very difficult to access new info about such matters.
0 Replies