Concept and Perception of Slavery

Khethil

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:13 pm
@SummyF,
SummyF wrote:
The concept that many perceive as slavery, is the owner/ slave relationship. If a radical brings up the position that slavery is a result of capitalism, we sometimes shrug it off.

A relationship that comes to mind is the proletariat and the bourgeois, specifically in the modern liberal society. When a worker (construction) is building a lavish for a rich man. He can build it, know everything about, but does not have the ability to live in the house. The thing that put him in this position is need.

I don't think I could call this slavery. It could be called a great number of things, but slavery... that just really seems like a stretch. Economic disparity, unfair distribution of resources; sure...

Thanks
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:38 pm
@chad3006,
chad3006;32032 wrote:
I suppose any society that places economic gain before all other things is potentially "OK" with slavery.
True, though there is usually an ideology that rationalizes the practice.

Here's a famous quote from Heinrich Himmler, who of course was the chief architect of the Holocaust as well as the complete butchery and enslavement of Nazi occupied Russia:

Quote:
One basic principle must be the absolute rule for the SS man: we must be honest, decent, loyal, and comradely to members of our own blood and to nobody else. What happens to a Russian, to a Czech does not interest me in the slightest. What the nations can offer in the way of good blood of our type, we will take, if necessary by kidnapping their children and raising them here with us. Whether nations live in prosperity or starve to death interests me only in so far as we need them as slaves for our Kultur; otherwise, it is of no interest to me. Whether 10,000 Russian females fall down from exhaustion while digging an anti-tank ditch interests me only in so far as the anti-tank ditch for Germany is finished. We shall never be rough and heartless when it is not necessary, that is clear. We Germans, who are the only people in the world who have a decent attitude towards animals, will also assume a decent attitude towards these human animals. But it is a crime against our own blood to worry about them and give them ideals, thus causing our sons and grandsons to have a more difficult time with them. When somebody comes to me and says, "I cannot dig the anti-tank ditch with women and children, it is inhuman, for it would kill them", then I have to say, "You are a murderer of your own blood because if the anti-tank ditch is not dug, German soldiers will die, and they are sons of German mothers. They are our own blood." That is what I want to instill into the SS and what I believe I have instilled into them as one of the most sacred laws of the future. Our concern, our duty is our people and our blood. It is for them that we must provide and plan, work and fight, nothing else. We can be indifferent to everything else. I wish the SS to adopt this attitude to the problem of all foreign, non-Germanic peoples, especially Russians. All else is vain, fraud against our own nation and an obstacle to the early winning of the war.
0 Replies