Athletes and Steroids

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 07:08 pm
Why do atheletes take steriods? Do they feel like they have to take them to keep up with other players?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,856 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 08:28 pm
@philosopherqueen,
As devil's advocate, I promote the use of steroids in professional athletes.
It gives them a super human edge that makes the sport more entertaining for us to watch which is what its all about.

Beer, cheerleaders, and pumped up roid freaks is what hockey should be.
Now if only we can get the cheerleaders to take off those damned parkas in the rink...
Wizzy

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:46 am
@Aristoddler,
Ari:
hahaha, you sick sick man...

To the question:
I belive that atheletes takes the steroids because they fell as they have to do become better, bigger, stronger, faster, that's just their world and they are willing to give up everything to be able to battle against the best..

I'm not sure where I stand on the question of steroids, as Ari said it gives them better playing abilities and the sports would become greater to watch.. Allowing it would also remove the cheaters as everybody would be cheating Wink
But ofcourse, it's only fair if everybody's off the stuff...
Aristoddler

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 09:17 am
@Wizzy,
Or it could be just be for the money.
Griz phil

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:03 pm
@Aristoddler,
I know I'm a little late with the post, (forgive me I'm new) but if you put yourself in their shoes it's pretty clear why they take them. Ever grow up with the one kid that was amazing at *insert sport(s)*. He was considerd the best in the neighborhood and was always undefeated. Well, when he makes it to the bigs, he's not that guy anymore. He's just an average player. Kinda tough to take being average after being pronouced as the next big thing. So, to give himself a better edge and to get his social status back in place, he takes steroids.

I would have to agree on letting them take the roids. I would love to watch super humans beat up on eachother in hockey. Although I wouldnt want roids in the Olympics. I think it should be clean. They are more of a show of human potential without the aid of drugs.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:11 pm
@Aristoddler,
I agree with aristoddler, why shouldn't we have the best athletes science can produce. I would promote bionics and genetic engineering for sports, if for no other reason than to make Barry Bonds look small.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:14 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Oh yeah, fascinating documentary on Steroid use in America Bigger, Stronger, Faster* - In Theaters May 30th
urangutan

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:11 pm
@GoshisDead,
Griz, screw the olympics as they are a crock at the best of times. Aristoddler, has the correct response, only I am not sure if he knows why. Performance and durability. I cannot imagine that the body can sustain the effects of a constant barrage of damaging blows, those that happen in Grid Iron, Rugby, Hockey I guess as I don't know the sport at all, then continue to function accordingly. The drugs help develop the body abnormally so as to buffer the impact. A Rugby player can and has played on with a broken neck, as the muscles around that part of the body were abnormally large, some sportspeople use it to support the muscles that allow for better playing ability, rather than enhance a skill.

Thing is where do you draw the line between performance and durability.
0 Replies

xxarmoxx

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:17 am
@philosopherqueen,
The truth is every sport is a business, there is too much money involved. Don't only think about what the players are getting paid, also think about the gamblers and the other transactions that go along with it. Another thing is there is fierce competition for your job, so its only natural to want to get an edge. Most of these players are replaceable, its only the great ones that last long.
0 Replies

Aphoric

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:34 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler;14345 wrote:
As devil's advocate, I promote the use of steroids in professional athletes.
It gives them a super human edge that makes the sport more entertaining for us to watch which is what its all about.

Beer, cheerleaders, and pumped up roid freaks is what hockey should be.
Now if only we can get the cheerleaders to take off those damned parkas in the rink...

I would posit that what makes a sport entertaining is an entirely subjective aspect of it. The way I see it, competition (in sport and philosophy, which is pretty much mental sparring) is held to expose the competitors' weaknesses so that they may constantly improve upon their flaws in the eternal effort to perfect one's practice. This can only be carried out ideally if the competition is affected as much as possible by the sole efforts and talents of the competitors, with as little outside influence as possible, as it may tilt the favor of the competition in one competitor's favor, thus confounding the results of their efforts and negating the point of competition in the first place.

word on the cheerleaders and parkas tho.

Anyways, to answer the question: I believe athletes take steroids because they have either forgotten or have yet to realize the true meaning of competition, choosing the easier way to win rather than the harder, yet ultimately more beneficial way to win.
Joe

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@Aphoric,
I feel i have to argue for no use of steroids. Only because when it comes to sports I think the idea is to push yourself physically to find out what your capable of. The rawness or with least means possible, bring the people to appreciate the human body. You have to remember that these sports also have to do with appreciating the potential of the human body. With steroids, you will always ask if the performance would have been possible without.

Personally as a spectator I dint wanna know either way, its really not a huge deal.
0 Replies

Padawan phil

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:35 am
@philosopherqueen,
Forget steroids, that's old hat, bring on genetic engineering. I want swimmers with gills, high jumpers with wings and sprinters with four legs and spots. Give evolution a little hurry on.

Seriously though, hundreds if not thousands worldwide are training a hundred hours a week towards the same olympic gold medal at any point in time. The rewards for all but the top 3, depending on where you come from maybe only the top 1, are minimal at best. The temptation to cheat must be enormous, especially when you suspect the majority of your rivals are doing exactly that.

How long will it be before one of those crazy "my child will be world champ" parents has dna altered in the womb. Undetectable if it's part of your genetic makeup, be it real or altered.
Aphoric

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:40 pm
@Padawan phil,
Padawan;36997 wrote:
Forget steroids, that's old hat, bring on genetic engineering. I want swimmers with gills, high jumpers with wings and sprinters with four legs and spots. Give evolution a little hurry on.

Seriously though, hundreds if not thousands worldwide are training a hundred hours a week towards the same olympic gold medal at any point in time. The rewards for all but the top 3, depending on where you come from maybe only the top 1, are minimal at best. The temptation to cheat must be enormous, especially when you suspect the majority of your rivals are doing exactly that.

How long will it be before one of those crazy "my child will be world champ" parents has dna altered in the womb. Undetectable if it's part of your genetic makeup, be it real or altered.

I feel like you just outlined the prophecy for the downfall of competitive sport.
0 Replies