Quick Question, Please

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:56 pm
I'm new here and am not very computer savvy, admittedly.

Is there anything on my end that I can do to make the screens on this forum narrower so that one doesn't have to use the horizontal slide bar as well as the vertical, as is the case on most forums I've visited?

Thank you.

Don Schneider
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 4
No top replies

de Silentio

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 08:12 pm
@Donald Schneider,
Donald Schneider wrote:
I'm new here and am not very computer savvy, admittedly.

Is there anything on my end that I can do to make the screens on this forum narrower so that one doesn't have to use the horizontal slide bar as well as the vertical, as is the case on most forums I've visited?

Thank you.

Don Schneider

Your screen resolution is probably set to low. Are you using a windows computer? If so, what version?
Vasska

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:33 am
@de Silentio,
I come to the same conclusion as de Silentio.

Solutions

Windows XP has a small guide from Microsoft you can find here. All XP and below all use the same instructions. Vista has a guide here.

For Macintosh OS X (Apple), resolution settings are found by clicking the Apple Menu, and then selecting System Preferences and then Displays. Or you can click on the Apple in the Dock at the bottom, and select Displays. Guess you won't be using Linux.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 08:44 am
@Donald Schneider,
Don, there are so very few people using 800x screen resolution today that we've designed this forum to fit a larger screen but not much larger. After my initial research on the visitors here, only 4% had screen resolutions at 800. Very old monitors only go that wide but so few use them anymore.

If you could tell us the size of your monitor, it would be very helpful. Here's something you can try:

-> Go to your desktop and right click and then select properties. Display Properties box will come up. Click the settings tab on the far right. You will see a slider called Screen Resolution towards the left side of the box. Slide it to 1024x768 and then hit the apply button. After it's adjusted a little box will pop up giving you a chance to hit select NO if it doesn't look right. Go through and slide to all the settings greater than 800x600 and see which one fits the screen the best.

That should fix the having to slide back and forth. If you are sliding back and forth on our website, my guess is there are a lot of websites you have to do this with so this adjustment will be very helpful.

Thanks guys for the links and helpful advice.
0 Replies

Donald Schneider

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
@Donald Schneider,
Thank you all for the advice. I shall attend to it ASAP. In the meanwhile, it is not so burdensome to have to slide back and forth; just somewhat annoying. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure out how to install Google Analytics for my website.

Thanks again.

Don Schneider
0 Replies