War. How much is enough?

nameless

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:03 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;23334 wrote:
because your thoughts underline the reasons for going to war.

Not so much 'reasons' for war, but a sort of (universal) 'context' for war.

Quote:
I don’t know about the way we should perceive war though. That seems kinda relative.

Of course it is Perspectival. I see it, when i see it, as simply 'is', some moments, and 'is not', others.
There can be no 'peace' without 'war'.
"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" (First Law of Soul Dynamics)

Quote:
Propaganda is deeply rooted in everything from war to breakfast cereal commercials.

Ain't that the truth.
I feel so comfortable 'believing' nothing...

Quote:
But I don’t think your type of reasoning is beyond the “common” person (nice word “eloi” by the way). I think in one way or another, everyone is cynical about the reasons for war. Whether they be for or against.

Perhaps many are 'cynical' because that is the nature/indoctrination of the presently imbibed propaganda.
What I see as 'critical thought' is certainly evidenced to be in very short supply among Amerikkkans, anyway.
The 'propagandists' stand to lose if they teach the 'electorate' how to think, as opposed to what to think. Heep em unable to 'think', and 'they' are easily manipulated and 'we' stay in power!

Quote:
Does war in itself require a sense of introspection? Sure.

For some..

Quote:
Somebody had to start it.

From certain Perspectives...
As I see 'cause and effect' as already obsolete, I might describe your 'cause and effect' as; 'mutually arising features of one event'; no linearity, simultaneity.

Quote:
But trying to put your last response in context, you would say that there is “never” any limits in war?

(I have found that in war, strategically, the only limits are those reached in attaining victory!)
I never use the term 'never'! Everything is Perspective.
I would say that there can be nothing any different, at the moment, then that which 'is', at that moment.
If Zygonite bombs are being dropped at some moment, turning the earth to glass and vaporizing organic matter, that is all that can be, at that moment, for that Perspective. If things are 'quiet' today, and no one is getting blown up, that too is the unalterable Now! to/as Perspective.
From another Perspective, one can say that all my boys have not fallen for the propaganda, and have learned to think for themselves and teach their children well, as have I, that in that way, we have somewhat 'limited' war. We don't 'do' it.
"Be the changes you want to see!"

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
--Christopher Dawson
VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@nameless,
So you would say that profiteering wouldn't be a "cause" for war per se but rather as context of war???

That the way we should see war is relativebuzzworthy
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
You were asking a question, so I guess I should have erased all not in your first line. So, Is there a just form of nation. Simply, it is those whe are related consanguineously, and who know each other, and their various personalities, and share their concerns, their courage, their determination; and even their cruelty if necessary in defense of friends and family. Are you sure you are not a dull afternoon? I know I dance around the fire a lot. I don't want to get burned saying what the truth is. But I guess I get close enough to smell like smoke and hot dogs. And I trust I am speaking English to the masses.

And btw. Bread and circus only works so long as there is bread enough to go around. Everyone I know is riding on empty. If people ever stop trying long enough to look around and see who has all their loot there won't be much to pick off their bones. Bankruptcy and failed expectations for a better life make revolutions. So how are you doing? It is nice in revolution to have a philosophy to guide it, perhaps a notion of the noble savage degraded from his state of nature to become your king or neighbor. Or an economic ideal. But these ideas are really counter revolutionary. And every revolutionist finds a point where he wants the revolution to end, and that is where many have died. But it is so much of nonsense. People do not have to revolt, they have to do something revolting, and that is to engage with their fellow humans, talk it out, cross the threashold with them as man and wife, so to speak, and this is a terror.

Our forms which should help us to engage very often serve to protect us from engagement, from too much of relationship, give and take, and so the form tells every man upon which square he should stand, and it takes great courage to throw away the board and the squares and have each make their own way. Yet, that is how forms should be built, from the relationship up, and if people have the relationship the form follows, at best, minimally.

First, re that bold part, what the fu*k!? are you saying anything; sounds like newspeak to me or some woefully extended metaphor you'd find in the Tapaloochie Times in Kentucky.

My point is this; democracy does not ensure or even make more likely stability; often, quite the opposite; read The History of the Peloponesian War. Our country, 'beacon of the world' is something of an exception, because we are so incredibly rich and comfortable and have been, generally, for a rather long time. Of course, our nation (btw, I'm assuming your american...) is the perfect example of the fallacy of the myth that democracies tend not to make agressive war.

People are more motivated by daily realities than by ideals, such as liberty. Hence, bread and circuses are still the way to playcate a people. If one considers the causes of the various revolutions in history, which have been labelled as idealistic projects, the only idealists were the elite, who already had there bread and who, in the case of the french revolution, were subsequently slaughtered by the mob, which had not been fed by civil liberties. Armed mobs have typically been quite practically minded...
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:39 pm
@BrightNoon,
P.S.

As far as I know, the most long lasting, most prosperous and most stable states in world history have been paternalistic autocracies, relying, quite literally, on bread and circuses to satisfy the mob. I'm thinking of Rome in particular. It is an idealist who finds idealism pragmatically necessary for peace, order, etc.

By the way, I am no fan of autocracy, though democracy is, in principle, just as oppressive.
Fido

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:51 am
@BrightNoon,
Quote:

BrightNoon wrote:
First, re that bold part, what the fu*k!? are you saying anything; sounds like newspeak to me or some woefully extended metaphor you'd find in the Tapaloochie Times in Kentucky.

My point is this; democracy does not ensure or even make more likely stability; often, quite the opposite; read The History of the Peloponesian War. Our country, 'beacon of the world' is something of an exception, because we are so incredibly rich and comfortable and have been, generally, for a rather long time. Of course, our nation (btw, I'm assuming your american...) is the perfect example of the fallacy of the myth that democracies tend not to make agressive war.

Really? What do you know about democracy. Majority rule? Republics? How much have you looked at real democriacies, like the Iroquois confederacy? The more you know the easier it will be for you to tell the truth. Pick up a book because I haven't got the time to educate you.
Quote:

People are more motivated by daily realities than by ideals, such as liberty. Hence, bread and circuses are still the way to playcate a people. If one considers the causes of the various revolutions in history, which have been labelled as idealistic projects, the only idealists were the elite, who already had there bread and who, in the case of the french revolution, were subsequently slaughtered by the mob, which had not been fed by civil liberties. Armed mobs have typically been quite practically minded...

Liberty considered as an ideal might well be an ideal; but the reason we consider it at all is that we people find it essential. Top down societies do not work. As soon as a society thinks it can get by without democracy, which is to say, that the rich think they can do as they please without cutting off some for the poor, then they are doomed. Democracy is impossible without liberty, and liberty is impossible without justice. Rome thought it was great to have conquests, and then the slaves of conquest soon beat the small farmers out of their rights and property. It was like the sheep driving the Scots and Irish from their land. Sort of. Though slavery is inefficient, it is enough to reduce all free labor to slavery. As was happening in our country where slavery was driving down the price of free labor, and worse, was robbing the honor out of labor. So, it is not as a whim that people ask for rights for themselves, or others. And, if you give them luxury, and food they breed, and demand more luxury where, if people where free they would also have to deal with realities, choose their own course, and work to attain it. When the food ran out for Rome, well, the place was pretty much emptied out by then from disease, circuses, and invasion. And it was that people cared not to bring children into that world, and those who were, might be made slaves for debt, and it really was meaningless, and cruel, and it ended with people bound to the land in an early feudalism so no one was freeborn whose parents were peasants. I read once of a time in Rome's history where there are reports from all over the empire of dwindling population, and Rome could hardly defend itself, and at the same time a Roman prefect gave his daughter hundreds of Eunics as a wedding present. Among white Americans and Europeans generally, population is dropping, births are dropping. Is it that we cannot have enough? In a money economy where people have to chose between having children, or having luxury, how many will choose the happy poverty of children?

It is not ideals which make revolutions, but they do end revolutions. It is conditions, usually bankruptcy and a certain hope less ness in the face of often, generally improving conditions. Now, the bolshevics, the free masons, and the Jacobins as clubs and parties already organized, gave their leaders a philosophical edge. They did more to destroy the revolutions to keep their own power on the whole. So, once a revolution begins it is like a train load of people that drops of people as it progresses until it has too few to defend it. Some people only want a short ride, some people want to go all the way. Those who want to go all the way always lose. And still, to be a revolution, it must go far enough to bring lasting peace and justice.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:04 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
P.S.

As far as I know, the most long lasting, most prosperous and most stable states in world history have been paternalistic autocracies, relying, quite literally, on bread and circuses to satisfy the mob. I'm thinking of Rome in particular. It is an idealist who finds idealism pragmatically necessary for peace, order, etc.

By the way, I am no fan of autocracy, though democracy is, in principle, just as oppressive.

Again; what do you know about it. You have to look to prehistory, where all societies were democratic in order to see democracy as it should be. It is first of all defensive, and it defends not only people, but rights. Not out of idealism, but as a practical matter. If you are surrounded by enemies, the thing you need is a form of social organization that will provide for defense, and the best defense is one where each man is a general, has his point to defend, and is free to do so as he sees fit. And you need social justice, equality if you prefer so that one man is not fighting for another's privilage. This was easier when all men could carry their wealth on their backs and in theri bellies. When wealth becomes extreme, and poor people find they are fighting the wars the rich start, then they need something, bread and circuses, social security, something, or they will not do it. It is the ideals of rich folks, that the rich are some how better, more honorable, or worthy that the poor are defending today. What protects them is a form, a form called law, and they, the rich, suck the meaning out of that form until it cannot hold up, and when the meaning is gone, revolution is in the mail. And we are getting there. When no one drives the speed limit, and when people cheat on their wives and taxes and say: everyone does it; then you can see the gradual erosion of law that will some day undermine the whole institution. When individuals do it out of necessity, it is a crime. When societies do it out of necessity it is revolution.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:53 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;23463 wrote:
So you would say that profiteering wouldn’t be a “cause” for war per se but rather as context of war???

Yes. "Cause and effect' are obsolete notions. The 'notion' has been updated to "mutually arising features of the same event." Synchronicity. One finds profit where one finds war.

Quote:
That the way we should see war is relative, I also agree with. But the way your perceive a relative notion of war is problematic. War can be perceived cognitively by rational senses as well as empirical senses in the post modern sense of the terms.

There are many Perspectives...

Quote:
As to your other comment. Unfortunately, I am not too acquainted with the laws of soul dynamics.

Neither was I till I stumbled on the First (as yet unrefuted) Law; "For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective." (Souls = Conscious Perspectives = us!)

Quote:
The evidential mentioning of…Amerikkkans…is an example of bias propaganda.

Propaganda has an agenda to influence and convince, to deliberately manipulate the thoughts of others. My silly spelling was indicating a 'personal' view and meaning, perhaps, but it is far from 'propaganda'. My 'agenda' is to inspire 'critical thought', by offering 'food for thought. That I added that silly spelling is irrelevent to the conversation.

Quote:
Your thoughts are buzzworthy to be sure, but I don’t know if they hold any ground beyond the axiomatic statements.

Perhaps a bit of critically thoughtful examination might bring them into some clarity, provide some understanding.

Quote:
On war, I disagree with your assertion that “the only limits are those reached in attaining victory.” Though, I still have to say that your response is rather axiomatic and dogmatized.

I offered this Perspective. Call it what names you like, you needn't agree. You are your Perspective.. (see; First Law of Soul Dynamics!)
Every Perspective is unique. Call that axiomatic if you like, but until you can provide two completely identical Perspectives, the 'axiom' stands, as with the 'First Law of...'.
'Name-calling' (axiom, dogma) is not a refutation of anything but the assertion that there can be no 'name-calling'! *__-
0 Replies