How to get autographs ?!

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 02:45 pm
Hello there!
Ok, this is the story: A friend of mine has a massive amount of football and baseball cards and would like to get the matching autographs on each card or at least some of them. My questions is now, where do I send them to to get this done??? Can somebody help me out here? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 779 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 03:00 pm
Your best bet is to forget it. :-( Seriously, autographs are a lucrative market now and you will have to spend money to get most of them signed.

You might be extraordinarily lucky and get a few signed but you;ll have to send them to many different places (and most will just toss them out and not bother to even return them).

There are many card signing shows but then you usually only get the chance at one celebrity.

Your best bet is to buy autographed cards.

Now I know you probably weren't interested in being told to purchase but think of it this way.

An autograph can cost a few hundred dollars on the market. What you are asking is, in a way, "how can I send some pieces of cardboard somehwere and get thousands of dollars back?"
0 Replies

tamakrobo

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 04:05 pm
Thank you
Thank you for your honest reply. I was not looking at it as a way of making money, but I do see your point of course. My friend only wanted them for framed decoration in the "game room", but I guess you're right...it is definitely easier to buy them.... thanks again. i appreciate it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 04:12 pm
Always happy to help. The sad thing is that autographs used to be a courtesy, now with it being a major market some athletes will not sign free autographs in order to keep the prices up. :-(
0 Replies

tamakrobo

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 05:39 pm
I see... do you collect autographs?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 05:46 pm
I started a collection as a kid. Some real famous ole linebacker whose name slips my memory visited my school and gave me an autograph and I tried to start a collection.

Ultimately I gave up because I didn't have 50-150 dollars to pay for each one I wanted.

It's become such a greedy market that some atheletes sometimes even use a special pen with their DNA in the ink to serve as authentication for the autographs.

GRRRR
0 Replies

tamakrobo

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:46 pm
wow... yeah i guess it is a tough market.... I hope I'll find some anyway...some that are priced reasonably.... if not we'll just frame some of the regular cards...
0 Replies