Prisons: Do we need them?

Aedes

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:04 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure how being able to differentiate between the abstract ideas of "right" and "wrong" is a sufficient condition for having free action, and free action seems to be a necessary condition for having moral responsibility.
And again, I'm not sure how being a drug addict all of a sudden exonerates people from moral responsibility, especially when becoming a drug addict in itself was a choice at some point. Free action is arbitrary without insight. And if you have both insight and agency, then you don't get a pass just because your judgement is poor. There are many drug addicts who hold down jobs fairly effectively (and many who don't). So the mere phenomenon of drug addiction is not sufficient to mitigate responsibility for judgement. Acute drug intoxication impairs people's judgement a lot more than their state of mind when they're temporarily sober. So whether it's a one time use or a chronic addict, the people with the worst judgement are the ones who are intoxicated -- not the ones who are sober and looking for a fix.

Quote:
If the lack of judgement cannot be helped, per the addiction, then I still have trouble with considering the addict responsible.
Ok -- I want to kill my boss. Maybe I should just start using a low dose of heroin to create a mitigating factor in case I get caught.

Quote:
I agree that insight is a necessary condition for responsiblity - ignorance is an excuse (in the case of moral responsibility, anyway).
Ignorance is not an excuse under the law. You can still break a law and be held fully responsible (in this country) whether or not you knew about it. And imprisonment is about laws more than about morals.

Quote:
Going back to the drug addict, imagine a crack addict who needs a fix. The addict knows stealing is wrong (he can differentiate between the abstract notions of "right" and "wrong"), therefore he has insight. However, given his addiction, he cannot help but to steal (or commit some other "wrong" act) to satisfy his addiction. Insight without moral responsibility.
No, he can help but steal. There is always a decision in front of him until he commits to a certain course of action. Furthermore, crack is not physically addictive, there is no appreciable withdrawal syndrome, and the situation is merely one of satisfying a craving.

Quote:
My objection to prison, aside from drug addicts and moral responsibility, is their function. Currently, the only results I can see in our prison system are negative. Simply, I don't think the stick works. And I'm not sure any amount of carrot would help.
Well, I agree that prisons are not the answer to the drug problem. But insofar as they are what we do about crime in general, then I do hold people responsible for their decisions whether or not they're using drugs. A couple years ago I had a patient that I got to quit crack cold turkey. If I can credit him with making the responsible and autonomous decision to quit, then I can also credit an addict with making the autonomous decision to commit a crime.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:20 am
@ScottHughes,
Quote:
And again, I'm not sure how being a drug addict all of a sudden exonerates people from moral responsibility, especially when becoming a drug addict in itself was a choice at some point.

Well, we are still debating the issue. I have presented arguments for my case. Meanwhile you have yet to show how being able to differentiate between the abstract ideas of "right" and "wrong" is a sufficient condition for having free action, nor have you shown how being able to differentiate between the abstract ideas of "right" and "wrong" is a sufficient condition is a sufficient condition for moral responsibility.

Also, there is a difference between the initial choice to use drugs and the need for a drug once addicted. Prior to addiction, an individual can simply chose to either use the drug or not use the drug; once addicted, this choice is not nearly so simple. Perhaps even in addiction there is room for free action. If there is, perhaps you can explain how the addict is free to chose not to use a drug to which he is addicted (obviously, addicts can stop using drugs, I present myself as evidence of this - that addicts can, of their own free will, stop using drugs is beyond me).

Quote:
Free action is arbitrary without insight. And if you have both insight and agency, then you don't get a pass just because your judgement is poor.

I do not think anyone should get a pass for poor judgment; I do think people should 'get a pass' for not being able to act other than they did, even if they have insight and agency because if they could not act other than they did they lack free agency.

Quote:
There are many drug addicts who hold down jobs fairly effectively (and many who don't). So the mere phenomenon of drug addiction is not sufficient to mitigate responsibility for judgement.

That some actions are free does not mean all are, though I see your point. If an addict can hold down a job, why can't the addict be responsible for his action? On this note, I will have to refine my claims to a degree - when the drug of choice is at stake, the drug addict (it seems to me) does not have the ability to act freely. Does this clear up some issues?

Quote:
Acute drug intoxication impairs people's judgement a lot more than their state of mind when they're temporarily sober. So whether it's a one time use or a chronic addict, the people with the worst judgement are the ones who are intoxicated -- not the ones who are sober and looking for a fix.

My objection is not related to judgment. The addict may have wonderful judgement, yet, if the addict is in need of a fix, it seems at least odd that the addict can simply decide not to pursue his addiction.

Quote:
Ignorance is not an excuse under the law. You can still break a law and be held fully responsible (in this country) whether or not you knew about it. And imprisonment is about laws more than about morals.

Yes, you are correct about the current state of affairs regarding the law in the United States. Then again, I'm objecting to that system, so I'm not sure what your point is.

In the case of moral responsibility, I have agreed with you - "No authentic choice is possible without insight." And without choice, without free action, I'm not sure how we can ascribe moral responsibility. Perhaps you see room for such a thing.

Quote:
No, he can help but steal. There is always a decision in front of him until he commits to a certain course of action. Furthermore, crack is not physically addictive, there is no appreciable withdrawal syndrome, and the situation is merely one of satisfying a craving.

It's not stealing necessarily, it's that the addict has no choice but to attempt to aquire his desired drug. If that's as easy as cashing a paycheck, so be it; however, if his options are limited to theft, I do not see how the addict could chose not to steal.

Quote:
Well, I agree that prisons are not the answer to the drug problem. But insofar as they are what we do about crime in general, then I do hold people responsible for their decisions whether or not they're using drugs. A couple years ago I had a patient that I got to quit crack cold turkey. If I can credit him with making the responsible and autonomous decision to quit, then I can also credit an addict with making the autonomous decision to commit a crime.

How was this patient's decision autonomous if you got him to quit?

As for crime in general and prisons, my problem is that prison fosters violence. When released back into society, we have ever reason to expect the criminal to be more violent, more dangerous to society, and without surprise, we see most people who go to prison find their way back to prison.
Instead of a stick, I'd like to see some method of actually addressing the problem, rather than sweeping the problems under the carpet until they begin to stink, at which time we throw them in the garbage.
What would this method of actually addressing the problem be? I can think of many things that would help, but I do not have any sort of magical, comprehensive answer.
Aedes

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:32 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
you have yet to show how being able to differentiate between the abstract ideas of "right" and "wrong" is a sufficient condition for having free action, nor have you shown how being able to differentiate between the abstract ideas of "right" and "wrong" is a sufficient condition is a sufficient condition for moral responsibility.
If you can differentiate right from wrong, and you can act, then that is sufficient for moral action and moral decisions. That doesn't mean you'll actually make moral decisions, but it mean you can.

Quote:
that addicts can, of their own free will, stop using drugs is beyond me.
Some do. I've seen people stop crack, heroin, alcohol, and nicotine (which is by far the most addictive of this group) on their own. It's not easy, but people do it. That doesn't mean that we should encourage a heroin user to stop alone -- getting into a treatment program and an NA group is going to be a more durable and successful approach.

Quote:
I do not think anyone should get a pass for poor judgment; I do think people should 'get a pass' for not being able to act other than they did, even if they have insight and agency because if they could not act other than they did they lack free agency.
Do you think that a drug addict should be morally exonerated from violent crimes that are not in pursuit of drugs?

Quote:
On this note, I will have to refine my claims to a degree - when the drug of choice is at stake, the drug addict (it seems to me) does not have the ability to act freely. Does this clear up some issues?
I understand your point of view. I also disagree with it somewhat, because I do not agree that you can generalize about addicts like this, as if they all of a sudden become automatons who will do anything for the drug. It's not a generalizable point. It's true for some but not for all.

Quote:
My objection is not related to judgment. The addict may have wonderful judgement, yet, if the addict is in need of a fix, it seems at least odd that the addict can simply decide not to pursue his addiction.
They can and do. And it's very uncommon that their need for a fix will override their inhibition against murder or even theft. Of course that's not true in the subgroup of addicts who do commit crimes -- but a prosecutor can easily ask "Well, if other people can use drugs without committing murder, then why should I let you use drugs as your excuse?"

Quote:
In the case of moral responsibility, I have agreed with you - "No authentic choice is possible without insight." And without choice, without free action, I'm not sure how we can ascribe moral responsibility. Perhaps you see room for such a thing.
Yes, I agree. But I don't agree that they have no choice or free action.

Quote:
It's not stealing necessarily, it's that the addict has no choice but to attempt to aquire his desired drug.
That's quite a generalization, considering how heterogeneously drug addicts behave -- and considering how many different types of drug there are. To be sure some people act the way you describe -- but not all, and not necessarily even most of them.

Quote:
How was this patient's decision autonomous if you got him to quit?
I didn't get him to quit. I just gave him my best medical recommendations using terms I thought would resonate with him (for instance he had a daughter he was very close with, and when I brought that up he felt like keeping himself healthy was more of a priority). But in the end it was his decision to actually do it. He was the one who went back to his home, to his same circle of friends and family, and who still had access to the drugs if he wanted. Patients' behaviors are autonomous, whether they're following or ignoring what I recommend or prescribe. Medicine is about 90% negotiation and communication with patients -- and nothing we do recommend or prescribe to a patient will work if the patient doesn't participate.
0 Replies

Wizzy

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:28 am
@ScottHughes,
ScottHughes wrote:
What do you think? Do you think society needs prisons? Why or why not?

Basically, my contention is that society does not need prisons because we can release anyone who does not have a psychological defect making them so dangerous to others as to warrant putting them in a medical asylum.

What do you think? Do you think society needs prisons? Why or why not?

Ah god damn, good question man and an interesting apporach

BUT!
You forgot one kind of criminal, the kind called in modern psycology "psycopath" or "sociopath" which technically isn't a mental disease, some people are born with it and often it's hereditary and it can't be treated.. It's simply a complete lack of empathy and regret, Alot of big time bosses and politicians are a milder case of psycopaths and these are the kind of criminals that ARE a danger to other people, as they in modern terms "don't give a f**k"... And a counter question for you is: how are you suppose to stop these people, if you don't have jails?
(We got to take a test to see if we where psycopaths in my psycology class, a score of 26=psycopath in sweden, 30=psycopath in USA, I scored 29...)

Now for your three groups:
I've never quite been able to understand how a thing like prostitution can be outlawed... How can something be legal to give away, but illegal to sell? And to lock people up for this is just crazy, it's one of the oldest occupations ever and all through history prostitution have been around... Imagien governmental brothels, health care, security and a honest pay... The hookers quality of life would increase incredibly... But I wouldn't like to limit this to girls pleasing men, why can't men please girls in the same way? Giggolos (spelling?) does exsist and why not? Shouldn't they want to get laid unconditionally too?

And accidental crimes are tragic, I often bring up the accidental car crash to explain my thoughts on that subject.. How can you punish a person for an accident? What's the reason? He haven't done something intentionally wrong, how can he learn something from it? Is he more of a danger to society then any other induvidual?

Sick people should get help, and mentally sick people should have as much right to professional help as somebody with cancer or other diseases.. USA doesn't have a universal health plan today but you should have, nobody should have to pay your insane numbers for something that everybody should get, help when they need it... Mentally sick people isn't worth less then anybody els are they?

When outside factors influence a person to commit a crime are the only one for your examples as I would have to even think about if jail is a good system or not.. As the factor influencing the person would have to be investigated... A poor person stealing food, then it's the governments fault for forcing him to steal inorder to eat... If it's a drug addict kidnaping their child after they have been proven that they are not suited to take care of a young child, lock that moron up and throw away the key, because then they are a real danger to other induviduals...

I hate the prison system, I really do, and care should be applyed whenever it even might help.. Freedom is something people are born to have and when it's taken away, it's like taking away freedom... Laws against drugs, prostitution etc. are freedom robbing and shouldn't even be allowed, I've taken an active choise never to ever even test drugs since I was but a young boy... If people want to do drug, let them... But as prostitution I belive that it should be government controlled to insure justice, non-violent business manner and to make it easier to keep in check... When it's only yourself you are hurting, why shouldn't you be allowed to do it?
Aedes

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:44 am
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
I've never quite been able to understand how a thing like prostitution can be outlawed...?
For public health reasons because of the inordinately higher rate of HIV and other STIs among prostitutes. And also because unlike consensual sex, the vast majority of prostitutes are NOT perfectly free agents to give consent when they are in desperate need of money such that they would put themselves at significant risk of harm.

In a setting like the legal brothols in Nevada, in which the women get some kind of labor protection, some security, and protection against STIs is mandated and (theoretically) enforced, that is the only situation in which legal prostitution makes ANY ethical sense.

You can't sell hamburgers on the street unless you meet certain business and food handling standards. And with prostitution, if you want it to be legal, then you need to establish standards that will protect both the woman and her clients.
Wizzy

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:35 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
For public health reasons because of the inordinately higher rate of HIV and other STIs among prostitutes. And also because unlike consensual sex, the vast majority of prostitutes are NOT perfectly free agents to give consent when they are in desperate need of money such that they would put themselves at significant risk of harm.

In a setting like the legal brothols in Nevada, in which the women get some kind of labor protection, some security, and protection against STIs is mandated and (theoretically) enforced, that is the only situation in which legal prostitution makes ANY ethical sense.

You can't sell hamburgers on the street unless you meet certain business and food handling standards. And with prostitution, if you want it to be legal, then you need to establish standards that will protect both the woman and her clients.

Well, yes that's probably why it became illegal... but today when we have and can provide everything we need to make it as safe as "normal" sex, why should it still be illegal?
And I'm not saying that the majority of prostitutes are in it with their free will, but if there was legal government controlled brothols, shouldn't the number of forced prostitutes drop dramaticly? And not to mention the fact that there would be virutally no profit in "trafficing"....
Vasska

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:05 pm
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
Well, yes that's probably why it became illegal... but today when we have and can provide everything we need to make it as safe as "normal" sex, why should it still be illegal?
And I'm not saying that the majority of prostitutes are in it with their free will, but if there was legal government controlled brothols, shouldn't the number of forced prostitutes drop dramaticly? And not to mention the fact that there would be virutally no profit in "trafficing"....

It will only drop if the government can locate all (legal) brothels and check them from time to time, however there are always girl that work on the streets and take guys to rented rooms across the city. It's so hard to control.

If the government legalizes it, it will add tax to the price for sex, thus making it more expensive. Trafficking in this cases can be more profitable. It's a classic case of you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. Of course you can stop this by only visiting the "legal" hookers, but there always those who don't care about the woman's position.

Other than that prostitution is still something no one dares to legalize because of the ethical questions it will raise. The only reason Thailand, South Korea, The Netherlands and many more have legalized prostitution is because it was already legal to begin with, and they never wanted, or saw the need to change it. It's an issue left untouched.

The US in this case is measuring with double standards; they allow pornography, which is filmed prostitution, but the don't allow "normal" prostitution.
Wizzy

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:11 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
It will only drop if the government can locate all (legal) brothels and check them from time to time, however there are always girl that work on the streets and take guys to rented rooms across the city. It's so hard to control.

If the government legalizes it, it will add tax to the price for sex, thus making it more expensive. Trafficking in this cases can be more profitable. It's a classic case of you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. Of course you can stop this by only visiting the "legal" hookers, but there always those who don't care about the woman's position.

Other than that prostitution is still something no one dares to legalize because of the ethical questions it will raise. The only reason Thailand, South Korea, The Netherlands and many more have legalized prostitution is because it was already legal to begin with, and they never wanted, or saw the need to change it. It's an issue left untouched.

The US in this case is measuring with double standards; they allow pornography, which is filmed prostitution, but the don't allow "normal" prostitution.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 04:36 pm
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
Do you really think that that is possible? I mean needle exchange programs can clearly reduce the risk of HIV and viral hepatitis transmission among IV drug users, and yet this country is too damn right-wing to even let that happen on a wide scale. In fact the right wing in this country is even opposed to Gardasil, the human papilloma virus vaccine, which prevents the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer. They say it will make girls promiscuous if they get that vaccine. (Of course they don't realize that with the hep B vaccine we've been vaccinating people against an STD for years already). But do you really think that the very conservative core in this country will ever support some system to legalize prostitution and make it safe? It's too low profile to be regulated, and the prostitutes for the most part are way too desperate.

Quote:
if there was legal government controlled brothols, shouldn't the number of forced prostitutes drop dramaticly?
If there were legal brothols, all that would change is that the underage / ugly / disease-carrying / drug-addicted / desperate girls and women would still be on the street -- but they'd be able to undersell the brothols, which would naturally cost more because of the overhead and the licensure (and the premium for being more respectable). It would just split the prostitutes into two societies. Furthermore, many neighborhoods would not want to have brothols, and many prostitutes would be living / working in neighborhoods without them.
Wizzy

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 04:47 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Do you really think that that is possible? I mean needle exchange programs can clearly reduce the risk of HIV and viral hepatitis transmission among IV drug users, and yet this country is too damn right-wing to even let that happen on a wide scale. In fact the right wing in this country is even opposed to Gardasil, the human papilloma virus vaccine, which prevents the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer. They say it will make girls promiscuous if they get that vaccine. (Of course they don't realize that with the hep B vaccine we've been vaccinating people against an STD for years already). But do you really think that the very conservative core in this country will ever support some system to legalize prostitution and make it safe? It's too low profile to be regulated, and the prostitutes for the most part are way too desperate.

Which country are you talking about? America? Doesn't one state in America have legal brothels allready? Nevada right? Think somebody mentioned it...

Aedes wrote:
Just like the smoking rates with legal tobacco? And the murder rates with legal guns?

That comparison is the equality to a statement of the nature "the number of SEX BUYERS drop", not the statement "the number of girls forced into prostitution should drop".... You could comepare smuggling tobacco to trafficing, and ofcourse if tobacco is legal, why should anybody smuggle? Unless it's about the price, which you also have to put into concideration....
Aedes

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:12 pm
@Wizzy,
Yes, Nevada has legal brothols. And have you ever been to Las Vegas, Nevada? There are more prostitutes there in the middle of the damn Strip than I've seen in any other city in the country bar none.

As for the second quote, I changed what I'd written (before you'd submitted your reply) to something that I think answers the question better.
Vasska

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:23 am
@Aedes,
Wizzy:

Would you vote for a government that has a monopoly on prostitution, and practically owns your (female) body? I think we are stumbling upon a highly ethical question here.

This monopoly of the government you are talking about is so highly unethical. Prostitution in my opinion is wrong, and i will never visit a brothel because it's against everything i stand for. However there are pornstars and even street prostitutes who like their job and would not change it for the world.

I don't think prostitution should be stopped and maybe even legalized to some degree, but i think the government should help and take every girl seriously that is forced into prostitution. This help is often done by non profit organizations and sometimes even without government support.

The government taking a monopoly on prostitution is so highly unethical and wrong. I understand your point and i understand that you want the best for these girls, however a monopoly is not the way to go. There still will be as Aedes said the other girls who will drop out of government regulated brothels and all will be exactly the same as before.

Prostitution cannot be regulated, it cannot be destroyed, but we can do the best we can by making sure kids get sex education, and helping them get proper education and maybe even a job.
Wizzy

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 03:49 am
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Wizzy:

Would you vote for a government that has a monopoly on prostitution, and practically owns your (female) body? I think we are stumbling upon a highly ethical question here.

This monopoly of the government you are talking about is so highly unethical. Prostitution in my opinion is wrong, and i will never visit a brothel because it's against everything i stand for. However there are pornstars and even street prostitutes who like their job and would not change it for the world.

I don't think prostitution should be stopped and maybe even legalized to some degree, but i think the government should help and take every girl seriously that is forced into prostitution. This help is often done by non profit organizations and sometimes even without government support.

The government taking a monopoly on prostitution is so highly unethical and wrong. I understand your point and i understand that you want the best for these girls, however a monopoly is not the way to go. There still will be as Aedes said the other girls who will drop out of government regulated brothels and all will be exactly the same as before.

Prostitution cannot be regulated, it cannot be destroyed, but we can do the best we can by making sure kids get sex education, and helping them get proper education and maybe even a job.

Why do you limit this to girls? Why shouldn't there be brothels for females? I belive that would work to, there once where a documentary about a guy who started as a giggolo(is it spelled like that?) and he got clients constantly...

Nooo not owns, employes...
Now I can't say that I wouldn't go to a legal brothel or prostitute because if I was horny or lonely I probably would... And I don't think there's anything wrong with that... BUT! If i thoughts for a second that it wasn't volentary for the girl, I would get pissed and probably knockout the manager of that brothel or do even worse to him... And that's my point! Ofcourse the government (probably depends on which government) wouldn't force girl into prostitution, imagien the scandal!

Further more i would like to make an example right now about a little something known as "systembolaget" which is Swedens liqurstores, governmental monopoly on liqur over here man... This is probably one of the best ideas ever, and it comes from the fact that we sweeds where about to drink ourselves to death sometime between the 1600- and 1700hundreds... People got payed in alcohol and drank homemade booze allday, everyday.. One of our kings (can't remember who it was..) started this alcoholmonopoly and personally, if todays politicians wouldn't have messed it up it would have been a great system... The problem today is the prices, we have so high taxes on alcohol that a ~11"fluid ounces" (adopt the freaking metricsystem!) can of beer costs about 2$ while you can get smuggled alcohol for about 90cents or even less... That's half the price and with a fair profit for the smugglers... And this comparison is made to show that prices are important, a governmental brothel wouldn't be able to make a profit, if even break even.. But as you said: I think about the girls, not the cash, not the moral right or wrong, but about the quality of the poor girls lives... And to me, that should be the most important factor in this, doesn't matter if some priest wants them burned down, tell him to suck a lemon... If it help a single prostitute to avoid a STD, beating, rape or murder, I think it's worth it...

And I think you're wrong when you say that it can't be regulated, everything can... or close to atleast.. It can't be regulated in the manner of destroying it but it can be ragulated towards the lesser of two evils if you will and that's where my governmental brothels come in to play...

*Edit
Forgot:
Well the question if I would vote for a government who want so legalize prostitution is trickey... But I'll answer it like this:
If the government in question had a plan to increase the prostitutes quality of life and the plan seems to work in theory, I wouldn't not vote for them, as other questions would have to be answerd to in the since of electing a government... But say hypotheticly that all the parties on the ballot had the same answers to the same issues except this one, I would go for the one with the "legalize it" policy...

When you're saying that they should help the girls, you are talking about a verry flawed system... I also belive that you should help the girls, as much as you can.. And when it is illegal, then they can't go to the police if they are misstreated and so on because they'll go to jail... That's why they have pimps, to protect them, but when the pimp is also misstreating them, thing have to be changed... You don't help anybody by taking away the effect, you have to take away the problem that causes the effects to really help somebody...

Aedes wrote:
If there were legal brothols, all that would change is that the underage / ugly / disease-carrying / drug-addicted / desperate girls and women would still be on the street -- but they'd be able to undersell the brothols, which would naturally cost more because of the overhead and the licensure (and the premium for being more respectable). It would just split the prostitutes into two societies. Furthermore, many neighborhoods would not want to have brothols, and many prostitutes would be living / working in neighborhoods without them.

Don't care about the neighborhoods, screw them... As I said: if it helps one person, it's all worth it... And you don't belive that people would choose the clean, nice, respectable government brothels over the street walker with STDs and bruises? The governmental brothels would take away all their business and just as companies, if there's not money to be made, there's no need for the business... You can't expect do make a profit, maybe to break even but that's it and then it's also all worth it because you are helping people who need to be helped! God, americans... Get a universal healthsystem... Razz

*Edit
And oh yeah, if the brothel wouldn't employ just anybody, just high-class looking prostitutes (male and female), isn't it possible that the prostitutes would shape up and try to get their lives in order just to get the job? (not asking if it's probable, only possible)

And no, I haven't been to Vegas or even Nevade, I live in sweden... Anywhoo are these girls "freelancing" prositutes or working for the brothel trying to lure in customers? Cause I wouldn't mind some laws similar to what we have here in Sweden regarding alcohol commercials, they're illegal... Ofcourse networks just go around this by transmitting through the UK but still the idea is good... And then you have to count in why people go there in the first place, cause "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" right? People go there to gamble, party, drink, have sex, watch freaky shows etc. ofcourse there's going to be alot of hookers...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 08:02 am
@ScottHughes,
This is the type of conversation that happens when ethics are debated from an armchair. This topic does not boil down to the simple question of whether prostitution should be legal, or if it's ethical. It is an extremely complex sociological issue that doesn't exist in isolation and cannot be solved with idealized scenarios.

If you're not from the US, you might be unaware that Las Vegas is in Nevada -- it's the largest city in that state. There ARE legal brothels. And yet Las Vegas, Carson City, Reno, and much of the state have dreadful street prostitution problems. And it's almost certainly because the brothels create a niche market for the women who don't work there. I'd bet the same phenomenon is true in other places with legal brothels, like Bangkok.

Why no brothels with men working there? Simple. There wouldn't be a market for it. The VAST majority of male prostitution caters to gay men, and this has been shown in some epidemiology studies looking at STDs and behaviors among male prostitutes.
Wizzy

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 08:31 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
This is the type of conversation that happens when ethics are debated from an armchair. This topic does not boil down to the simple question of whether prostitution should be legal, or if it's ethical. It is an extremely complex sociological issue that doesn't exist in isolation and cannot be solved with idealized scenarios.

Are you accusing me of beein a isolated man? Cause if you are, you're way off... I'm a nineteen year old college student who's going to graduate in a couple of months man, I have atleast one party to go to each week, spend the rest of the weekend hanging around with firends, spends the weekdays with family, and last time I was out of the contry where about a month ago when I where to Budapest in Hungary... So I'd say that I'm not exacley isolated, if that's what you are saying...

Aedes wrote:
If you're not from the US, you might be unaware that Las Vegas is in Nevada -- it's the largest city in that state. There ARE legal brothels. And yet Las Vegas, Carson City, Reno, and much of the state have dreadful street prostitution problems. And it's almost certainly because the brothels create a niche market for the women who don't work there. I'd bet the same phenomenon is true in other places with legal brothels, like Bangkok.

I know that Las Vegas is in Nevada... What made you think that I didn't? And I said that there where legal brothels there... What I don't know is how the law is formed, cause if it isn't government monopoly on it then the prostitutes are free to be and sell themselves where ever they want to which should lead to the prostitutes beeing able to overrun the streets, if there is a governmental monopoly, they will be arrested for selling and the johns for buying, why would anybody take that risk if the price is the same?

Aedes wrote:
Why no brothels with men working there? Simple. There wouldn't be a market for it. The VAST majority of male prostitution caters to gay men, and this has been shown in some epidemiology studies looking at STDs and behaviors among male prostitutes.

Not argueing with that, and although I have limited if any knowledge on the prostitution market that doesn't matter, all I've said is that I don't want to limit this to female prostitutes...
Aedes

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 08:45 am
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
Are you accusing me of beein a isolated man? Cause if you are, you're way off... I'm a nineteen year old college student who's going to graduate in a couple of months man...
First of all, that's not the accusation I'm making. I'm accusing all of us of thinking we can solve a problem just by thinking about it but not by understanding it. And incidentally, I was once a nineteen year old college student, and I'm now a 33 year old physician, I've travelled to countries on 6 continents, I've lived for extended periods of time in Africa, South America, and New Zealand -- and I've actually had patients who were prostitutes; and I still am sufficiently isolated that I would never claim insight and wisdom about areas that I haven't studied in depth. I'm not saying that you're doing this outright -- but I think you underestimate how complicated this subject is.

Quote:
What I don't know is how the law is formed, cause if it isn't government monopoly on it then the prostitutes are free to be and sell themselves where ever they want to which should lead to the prostitutes beeing able to overrun the streets, if there is a governmental monopoly, they will be arrested for selling and the johns for buying, why would anybody take that risk if the price is the same?
It's not a government monopoly. It's private enterprise that has government regulations. But you're wrong -- it is illegal for them to be on the street -- and they can be arrested. But you'll never get rid of them because they cater to a cheaper clientelle than the legal brothels, they're everywhere, people can be much more discrete when they solicit a street prostitute, many of the prostitutes on the street are underage and wouldn't be employable at a brothel, there is a finite number of brothels and therefore jobs, and finally the prostitutes who are strung out on drugs or who are unattractive or unreliable or whatever simply aren't going to get jobs in brothels anyway.

You may not want to limit it to female prostitutes, but that's the bulk of the issue. But male prostitutes are also often teenage boys who aren't even necessarily gay, but will sell themselves to gay men out of desperation for money. They're also operating from an extremely vulnerable position.
Wizzy

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 09:11 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
First of all, that's not the accusation I'm making. I'm accusing all of us of thinking we can solve a problem just by thinking about it but not by understanding it. And incidentally, I was once a nineteen year old college student, and I'm now a 33 year old physician, I've travelled to countries on 6 continents, I've lived for extended periods of time in Africa, South America, and New Zealand -- and I've actually had patients who were prostitutes; and I still am sufficiently isolated that I would never claim insight and wisdom about areas that I haven't studied in depth. I'm not saying that you're doing this outright -- but I think you underestimate how complicated this subject is.

Yeah I probably do.. But to me, it's a question of what hurts the most people: legal governal brothels or streetwalking hookers who can't get help from police and probably don't get the healthcare should have...

Aedes wrote:
It's not a government monopoly. It's private enterprise that has government regulations. But you're wrong -- it is illegal for them to be on the street -- and they can be arrested. But you'll never get rid of them because they cater to a cheaper clientelle than the legal brothels, they're everywhere, people can be much more discrete when they solicit a street prostitute, many of the prostitutes on the street are underage and wouldn't be employable at a brothel, there is a finite number of brothels and therefore jobs, and finally the prostitutes who are strung out on drugs or who are unattractive or unreliable or whatever simply aren't going to get jobs in brothels anyway.

You may not want to limit it to female prostitutes, but that's the bulk of the issue. But male prostitutes are also often teenage boys who aren't even necessarily gay, but will sell themselves to gay men out of desperation for money. They're also operating from an extremely vulnerable position.

Thus my point of the non-profit thingy come in... You can't expect to make a profit as you have to be able to compete in prices with the streetwalkers AND have better quality if you'd like to call it that... It's not meant to save the city money at all, they'll probably end up loosing money but what does that matter when it's human lives we are talking about?
Vasska

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:22 am
@Wizzy,
Wizzy, i think before we start discussing again we must first define prostitution as it occurs. Some of them indeed can be regulated, other however are very hard to regulate. So first I'm going to define two types of prostitution:

#1 - Prostitution by force. Most woman or man for that matter who are caught up in this are victims of their situation and the people who take advantage of their situation. In some cases these woman are abused if they don't want to cooperate. Abuse by paying costumers is also likely. This is the kind of prostitution that should be punishable by law, we can all agree on that.

#2 - Prostitution by choice. Some of the woman, mostly porn actresses (or actors) have chosen their profession to be prostitution. Some of them succeed and will have a career in the regulated industry, others will not. This form of prostitution does not need to be forbidden, for it is done with both parties agreeing. What the terms of the agreement are does not matter for our discussion.

After classifying these two sorts of prostitution we can put them in their geographical locations.

#1 - Always in the same spot makes it easy to regulate. The red light district in Amsterdam is known all over the world, and is fairly easy to find even for foreigners. This type of prostitution is fairly easy to regulate. It can be checked at all times and people know that it is there.

#2 - On the move. some females prostitute around the city, they are always on the move to not be caught. Often this type of prostitution is associated with either amateurs or the forced girls.

#3 - Order. Sadly you can even order "the love" of a woman these days. Some companies are legit and "deliver" woman who chose to prostitute themselves. Other less legit company's use forced girl and aren't that friendly.

Now we can see that prostitution by choice together with Always at the same spot and Order can be regulated by the government. However other combinations are harder to regulate. You've got a good point that we should try to make them less profitable, however how are we going to do that? We can hunt down the "pimps", but for every "pimp" that goes away two of them return. Illegal trafficking and illegal prostitution will always be profitable.

I think we can solve problems by acknowledging the problem and make sure our society tries to teach as many people about sexual deceases and all the other things that can prevent males and females from landing into prostitution. The people who are trafficking should be severely punished.

A government control like you have on Sweden on alcohol does not work in this case. Alcohol is something you buy in the store. There are factories and many other materials needed. Prostitution is a "service" and can be done wherever and whenever. The only thing you need is a condom, and in some cases not even that.

To end my statement i want to say that i don't think prostitution will ever be safe, we can however try to make it as safe as possible. It's sad that people still need sex so desperately and consider it a primary need.
Wizzy

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:00 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Wizzy, i think before we start discussing again we must first define prostitution as it occurs. Some of them indeed can be regulated, other however are very hard to regulate. So first I'm going to define two types of prostitution:

#1 - Prostitution by force. Most woman or man for that matter who are caught up in this are victims of their situation and the people who take advantage of their situation. In some cases these woman are abused if they don't want to cooperate. Abuse by paying costumers is also likely. This is the kind of prostitution that should be punishable by law, we can all agree on that.

#2 - Prostitution by choice. Some of the woman, mostly porn actresses (or actors) have chosen their profession to be prostitution. Some of them succeed and will have a career in the regulated industry, others will not. This form of prostitution does not need to be forbidden, for it is done with both parties agreeing. What the terms of the agreement are does not matter for our discussion.

Yes those are the two types I'll agree with that, however I don't agree that the first one should be punishable by law, not for the prostitute atleast, for the pimp it should end up somewhere around kindnaping... Now you might say "no the prostitute who are forced can't get punished by law!" but they can, I'd say that these are the most common hookers in prisons today because you don't have to be locked up to be forced to prostitution...

Vasska wrote:
#1 - Always in the same spot makes it easy to regulate. The red light district in Amsterdam is known all over the world, and is fairly easy to find even for foreigners. This type of prostitution is fairly easy to regulate. It can be checked at all times and people know that it is there.

#2 - On the move. some females prostitute around the city, they are always on the move to not be caught. Often this type of prostitution is associated with either amateurs or the forced girls.

#3 - Order. Sadly you can even order "the love" of a woman these days. Some companies are legit and "deliver" woman who chose to prostitute themselves. Other less legit company's use forced girl and aren't that friendly.

Now we can see that prostitution by choice together with Always at the same spot and Order can be regulated by the government. However other combinations are harder to regulate. You've got a good point that we should try to make them less profitable, however how are we going to do that? We can hunt down the "pimps", but for every "pimp" that goes away two of them return. Illegal trafficking and illegal prostitution will always be profitable.

I think we can solve problems by acknowledging the problem and make sure our society tries to teach as many people about sexual deceases and all the other things that can prevent males and females from landing into prostitution. The people who are trafficking should be severely punished.

A government control like you have on Sweden on alcohol does not work in this case. Alcohol is something you buy in the store. There are factories and many other materials needed. Prostitution is a "service" and can be done wherever and whenever. The only thing you need is a condom, and in some cases not even that.

To end my statement i want to say that i don't think prostitution will ever be safe, we can however try to make it as safe as possible. It's sad that people still need sex so desperately and consider it a primary need.

I'll give you that your first combination is easiest to controll and regulate, ofcourse.. But at the same time, isn't it possible to take away the business for the other combinations by strengethening and expanding that one? Making it easier to gain access to and as cheep as possible?

And ofcourse prostitution shouldn't be encoureaged, but at the same time it will never go away completley... So we have to do anything we can to make it as safe as possible, as you said. And the best way to do this is still to me, by legalizing it..

Alcohol isn't hard to make or smuggle... I've personally (note that I'm 19) have made homemade beer and wine without any difficulty as you can get portion packs at speciall stores and everything you need to make it.. And this isn't even needed when both are made with simple ingredients, only that it takes some time.. And for hard liqur, that's even easier.. I know how to make a moonshine "machine", how to operate it and how to make the acctuall liqur and what ingredients you need... It's not hard to do.. I know several people who have made moonshine of great quality, bought flasks and voila! You have vodka! But there's some work in all of this and it's easier to just buy it from a store and you'll get higher quality booze, thus to prevent people from making it you have to have accepteble prices, and that's where my government have screwed up...

And to end my statement I'd like to say that sex is a primary need.. It's the reason we want to make alot of money, why we want a nice apartment/house, why we want nice cloth and why we want to be the envy of others.. It's the drive that keeps our race going and we should be thankful for having that drive if anything... Also, I belive that alot of the Johns out there are just lonely or just wants unconditional sex without needing a relationship...
Vasska

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:57 pm
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
Yes those are the two types I'll agree with that, however I don't agree that the first one should be punishable by law, not for the prostitute atleast, for the pimp it should end up somewhere around kindnaping... Now you might say "no the prostitute who are forced can't get punished by law!" but they can, I'd say that these are the most common hookers in prisons today because you don't have to be locked up to be forced to prostitution...

Sorry i was a bit unclear on that, but i don't think you should punish the prostitute if indeed is proven she has been abused or otherwise treated unfairly. The pimp is someone who should go to jail and be charged with trafficking and all other crimes he committed.

The prostitutes should get help to get back into the "normal" society and get an education and a job. Maybe even have to come back weekly to report their status in some extreme cases.

Wizzy wrote:
I'll give you that your first combination is easiest to controll and regulate, ofcourse.. But at the same time, isn't it possible to take away the business for the other combinations by strengethening and expanding that one? Making it easier to gain access to and as cheep as possible?

Sadly there are man who prefer the cheap "crack whore" over the more expensive prostitutes. Seems to give them a little bit of power over a woman. Crack whores mostly do things normal prostitutes won't do. We can only imagine what fantasies some men have.

Expending prostitution on a legal scale is also an ethical question. When you say that expanding the regulated prostitution might be a good idea it's almost as if you are saying prostitution is like an everyday store. I know you don't mean it like that, but still.

Wizzy wrote:
And ofcourse prostitution shouldn't be encoureaged, but at the same time it will never go away completley... So we have to do anything we can to make it as safe as possible, as you said. And the best way to do this is still to me, by legalizing it..

Prostitution is one of the oldest "profession" there is, and it will not go away for a long long time. Legalizing it makes it more widely available, but not necessarily safer. In my country the prostitutes have their own "labor union" which makes sure safety is guaranteed if you are one of their members. Maybe more countries need these sort of (regional) unions that ensures safety for prostitutes.

Wizzy wrote:
Alcohol isn't hard to make or smuggle... I've personally (note that I'm 19) have made homemade beer and wine without any difficulty as you can get portion packs at speciall stores and everything you need to make it.. And this isn't even needed when both are made with simple ingredients, only that it takes some time.. And for hard liqur, that's even easier.. I know how to make a moonshine "machine", how to operate it and how to make the acctuall liqur and what ingredients you need... It's not hard to do.. I know several people who have made moonshine of great quality, bought flasks and voila! You have vodka! But there's some work in all of this and it's easier to just buy it from a store and you'll get higher quality booze, thus to prevent people from making it you have to have acceptable prices, and that's where my government have screwed up...

The problem is that you can buy beer here starting at 0.19 cent a can (330ml). Water however often costs more for the same amount of 330ml. I think this is where my country screws up. I think the Swedish government indeed screwed up with their monopoly on alcohol. But it does not compare to prostitution which we are discussion right now. You can make your own beer if you want to, but making a prostitute is something that is a little bit trickier. A

Wizzy wrote:

And to end my statement I'd like to say that sex is a primary need.. It's the reason we want to make alot of money, why we want a nice apartment/house, why we want nice cloth and why we want to be the envy of others.. It's the drive that keeps our race going and we should be thankful for having that drive if anything... Also, I belive that alot of the Johns out there are just lonely or just wants unconditional sex without needing a relationship...

I don't know why sex has to be a primary need. In the animal kingdom sex is purely a primary need because of reproducing. Humans often have sex for the sake of it, and less because the want to reproduce. Sex might have some healing effect on some people, but calling it a primary need is something i will argue against. The drive you are talking about is a drive i don't recognize, care to elaborate on that?

Of course a lot of people or Johns as you call them want to have unconditional sex and are willing to pay for it. Their motives might be loneliness or anything else, but still i question why we need sex that desperate. I think it's getting more of a fashion statement these days.