Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 06:15 pm
Is rain a more prominent form of religious motivation than text?

Answers limited to a maximum 10 sentences please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 27
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:25 am
@Doobah47,
Yes. Unless of course, it is the colour brown.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:33 am
@Doobah47,
Depends who you ask.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 01:53 pm
@Theaetetus,
Raining in my heart..raining on a sunny summers day seeing the bathers running for cover..yes that could be an alternative...fleeting but heaven all the same..
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 05:40 pm
@Doobah47,
Depends how seriously you take the story of Noah, I reckon.
Solace

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:26 pm
@Dave Allen,
I'm so confused right now I need a smoke. (And I don't smoke.)
xris

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 04:30 am
@Solace,
weather it is nobler in the mind to talk about the weather or contemplate god, its how seriously you take god and how you value the weather..For ancient man a few of the young got sacrificed every year for good weather..should we worry about gods wrath or the next tornado? Oh my this is a stupid thread..
Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 10:39 pm
@xris,
Only if there's a drought Wink
0 Replies

aaron the red

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:58 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
weather it is nobler in the mind to talk about the weather or contemplate god, its how seriously you take god and how you value the weather..For ancient man a few of the young got sacrificed every year for good weather..should we worry about gods wrath or the next tornado? Oh my this is a stupid thread..

its not really stupid question considering that many people consider natural wonders as evidence of a creator.

I would say yes, because rain is at times beutiful, and its easier to sway a person by the heart than the mind. Unless, of coarse, its very good text.
xris

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:38 am
@aaron the red,
aaron the red wrote:
its not really stupid question considering that many people consider natural wonders as evidence of a creator.

I would say yes, because rain is at times beutiful, and its easier to sway a person by the heart than the mind. Unless, of coarse, its very good text.
The weather is of constant interest to the british and we have more attachment to it than most but to say it has need of worship is nothing more than philosophical musing.Just dont rain on my parade...I am the god of nasty weather on your wedding day..
aaron the red

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:44 am
@Doobah47,
the question is not whether people should worship rain or not. that would obviously be silly in this era. the question is which is a more prominent motivator to religious worship of some kind.
dictionary.com has this as the first definition of prominent: standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable: Her eyes are her most prominent feature.
xris

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 08:25 am
@aaron the red,
Its the same thing.. text is the essense of belief...text describes.. it gives substance.. the texts are holy.what else has faith got..
proV

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 08:35 am
@xris,
I would say "yes", sometimes I am truly shocked by the beauty of the nature. Even if the beauty itself is really just my imagination. The text though is just words and not a direct experience. It never worked for me in that way.

The topic reminded me on this movie scene: "God is in the rain.."
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 08:52 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
The weather is of constant interest to the british and we have more attachment to it than most but to say it has need of worship is nothing more than philosophical musing.Just dont rain on my parade...I am the god of nasty weather on your wedding day..

This is different. I've heard odd claims about groups of people, but this is new to me. Why do you think that Brits have "more attachment" to the weather than anyone else? Weather is a "constant interest" in most places that I've been to.
xris

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:12 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
This is different. I've heard odd claims about groups of people, but this is new to me. Why do you think that Brits have "more attachment" to the weather than anyone else? Weather is a "constant interest" in most places that I've been to.
Its an obsession the start of a conversation the crux of a conversation and the parting wave...When it can be as diverse as ours it is of immense interest.
Solace

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:32 am
@xris,
I see where you're coming from. It is an obsession for a lot of people though. I can't say as to whether or not the weather is more often discussed there than here. All I can say is that I have a few uncles who will never shut up about it.Very Happy
xris

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:46 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
I see where you're coming from. It is an obsession for a lot of people though. I can't say as to whether or not the weather is more often discussed there than here. All I can say is that I have a few uncles who will never shut up about it.Very Happy
OOOh will it ever stop raining... ooo aint it cold..ooo its too hot for me..we need some rain for the garden..oo his never seen snow...
0 Replies

aaron the red

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:11 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Its the same thing.. text is the essense of belief...text describes.. it gives substance.. the texts are holy.what else has faith got..

even so. people did worship the sun and the moon and the rain before text ever was. text might give substance but there are plenty who would worship without substance, and natural beauty gives a sense of reverence to the religous even if there faith has substance.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 05:27 am
@Doobah47,
All this rain is the reason so few Dutch still believe in God.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:00 am
@Doobah47,
Ask yourself this: Why is it silly to worship rain in this era?

Then ask yourself this: Could it be silly to worship any of these deities in another era?

Then proceed to asking yourself this: Isn't it silly I'm blindly worshiping anything in my era without further consideration?

Oh, and I'll answer my last question. "YES!"

And it doesn't seem anyone got my joke "Only if there's a drought", so I'm going to elaborate. If there is a drought, rain would be considered a miracle by those that are delusional. That is, rain would be a more prominent form of religious motivation if there was a drought for the delusional being! Haha, I'm so funny. Stand-up comedy is coming, don't worry.
0 Replies