The safety of books and other tools

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:48 pm
I have come across a strange phenomena in my time as an administrator, cataloguing items and books, particularly in the arts/education industry.

Often items (maybe cassettes or vinyls or scripts) are generated and utilized during compulsive (OCD) routines developed by their creators or owners. I assert that some items are produced or used after/during particular events/actions, often as forms of solace or entertainment. One might return from a restaurant and relax in a chair with a book or CD, or perhaps urinate for the first time in days and recline with some kind of puzzle or drawing.

I assert that such routine actions taken by the owner/creator manifest upon the item an aura which induces the handler of the item to engage in a specific activity (ie the activity which the creator/owner engaged in as part of a routine involving the item).

For example, designers who eat apples regularly and lunch on BLT sandwiches and drink 3 capuccinos, would in my mind be the causation of a compulsion in both the designer and the owner of the item to excrete.

The notion of dusty libraries full of books made by grandieuse academics, alcoholics and compulsive lunchers sends me into a rage. The experiments I've had with supermarket bread demonstrate that there are definitely some foods that do not induce a life lived away from the crap stool.

Is this an ethical debate, or one of lifestyle, or religion, or subjugation, or the product of the written word, or a mirage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,054 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:43 pm
@Doobah47,
I'm going to have to go with subjugation.
Khethil

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:27 am
@TickTockMan,
I'll admit I'm struggling with your core-message. But having said that, I'd say it's a 'lifestyle' that is influenced by/influences the 'written word'

*kheth aims, he shoots, he misses!*
0 Replies

Mathematicaverde

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:09 pm
@Doobah47,
I'm also going to have to go with subjugation. I'm not clearly understanding your message, but it seems that you're saying we are slaves to the concrete/non-living items we interact with... maybe?
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
@Doobah47,
I'm with the rest of them. This thread is not so clear but does tend to lean toward the bodily functions... is it necessary?
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 07:26 pm
@Justin,
Curse you Doobah47! Upon reading your post, or handling it with my eyes as it were, I've become incontinent.

Oh, the tyranny of it all.
franc

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:10 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:

I assert that such routine actions taken by the owner/creator manifest upon the item an aura which induces the handler of the item to engage in a specific activity (ie the activity which the creator/owner engaged in as part of a routine involving the item).

Existence precedes essence.
bmcreider

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:15 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;28004 wrote:
Curse you Doobah47! Upon reading your post, or handling it with my eyes as it were, I've become incontinent.

Oh, the tyranny of it all.

I completely agree, and laughed.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:27 pm
@Doobah47,
Eh, I'm kinda uncertain what this thread is about.
0 Replies

longknowledge

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:51 pm
@franc,
franc;30998 wrote:
Existence precedes essence.

In this case, existence preceedes excretion!

:flowers:
0 Replies

bmcreider

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:43 pm
@Doobah47,
I had no idea I bumped a 2 year old thread. Education forum goes by very slow.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:40 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47;27796 wrote:

For example, designers who eat apples regularly and lunch on BLT sandwiches and drink 3 capuccinos, would in my mind be the causation of a compulsion in both the designer and the owner of the item to excrete.

He's right! And a fate even worse than dirty doo-doos awaits all those who dare open the pages of the dread Necronomicon, written by the mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred, who did worse - oh, so much worse! - than eat apples and sandwiches and drink too many cappuccinos!
0 Replies