Wizzy

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 05:58 am
I love to watch soccer.. A beer and a couple of firends watching the world championships is hard to beat but: Soccer isn't that usual in America, so how about you guys?

Follow soccer or not? Interested or not? What's you thoughts about soccer? etc.

And on a side note: how do you think football (or soccer to you) somehow became unnoticed in america while the rest of the world love it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,486 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Resha Caner

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 08:05 am
@Wizzy,
I don't have a definitive answer for you, only speculation.

On the one hand, I will say that the popularity of soccer is on the rise.

As to why it took so long, I think the strong role individualism plays in America is part of it. There was a conscious effort at one time to be different. American politicans and educators turned over a lot of rocks looking for any example they could find of American excellence.

Because baseball was so popular with Union troops during the Civil War, it was easy to seize it as an icon of what is uniquely American - both as a way to build team moral for the Union, but also as an ambassador of American culture to the world.
de budding

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 09:37 am
@Resha Caner,
Not enough fireworks, halftime shows, hot cheerleaders etc. for the Americans I should think Very Happy.

I have learnt to hate soccer, in the UK it defines most men for some ungodly reason and represents a shallow corner of the countries culture I find dull and primitive.

Yours begrudgingly,
Dan.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 09:48 am
@de budding,
I enjoy watching soccer occasionally.

As for the criticisms of soccer and American football - all commercial sports are nothing but circus. Perhaps you recall from history class, the Roman government made a conscious policy decision to provide 'bread and cricus', food and entertainment, to keep the population of Rome content. If they are fed and entertained, people tend to have little concern for anything else.
cloverleaf

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I love soccer (fotball) i dont understand how come americans call football the game that they play with hand?
soccer is esthetic game
i wathced latest european champs final inbetween chelsea and manu it was good game but unfortunately manu got the cup
Wizzy

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 03:25 am
@cloverleaf,
de_budding wrote:
Not enough fireworks, halftime shows, hot cheerleaders etc. for the Americans I should think Very Happy.

I have learnt to hate soccer, in the UK it defines most men for some ungodly reason and represents a shallow corner of the countries culture I find dull and primitive.
[/COLOR]
Haha might be true, might be true Wink
I know that it's almost too much soccer in the UK.. But at the same time it's such big of a sport over there because you have such an interest for it, everybody's a supporter... I where in London a couple of years ago when you where knocked out of the world championship by portugal, people where pissed..

Didymos Thomas wrote:
As for the criticisms of soccer and American football - all commercial sports are nothing but circus. Perhaps you recall from history class, the Roman government made a conscious policy decision to provide 'bread and cricus', food and entertainment, to keep the population of Rome content. If they are fed and entertained, people tend to have little concern for anything else.

Yeah I know, all kinds of entertainment fits in under this category though so.. video-games, books etc. is just as bad... I will however claim that when somebody take the following of a league or sport too much, so it's almost religious, it's starting to become dangerous for the mind..

cloverleaf wrote:
I love soccer (fotball) i dont understand how come americans call football the game that they play with hand?
soccer is esthetic game
i wathced latest european champs final inbetween chelsea and manu it was good game but unfortunately manu got the cup

Ah you mean champions league... Great game, just have to love a final that goes to penalties.. Terry's probably kicking himself now, but on the other hand he did a great save with that heading in the overtime i think it was.. Great game..

And you are right, why do you americans call your "football" football? There's two people on the teams that tuches the ball with their feet.. The punter and the kicker, probably the same person from time to time..
0 Replies

philosopherqueen

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 04:54 pm
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:

Yours begrudgingly,
Dan.

Well in the U.S. football, basketball, and baseball define most of the younger generation. I went to a small private school, where if you didn't play sports no matter guy or girl you would be outcasted, but since most people played the three students who didn't we ridiculed for not having enough school spirit. It's not that bad in public schools, but they'll always be the jock dork rivalry.

This is the problem we define people for what they do and not who they are. Some people we idolize because of what they do (actors, musicians) not who they are (maybe crackhead, or an actual nice person).

For the real question at hand, I don't watch much sports I'd rather play them (GIRLS SOFTBALL)!!!! And all that I know about soccer is Davis Beckham *that's bad I know, don't rag on me to bad*
Wizzy

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:13 am
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:
For the real question at hand, I don't watch much sports I'd rather play them (GIRLS SOFTBALL)!!!! And all that I know about soccer is Davis Beckham *that's bad I know, don't rag on me to bad*

Just have to be asked: Do you know Beckham from his football or from his underwear commercials? Wink

I belive that there's werry few that doesn't know of Beckham, both David and Victoria.. Especially now when he moved to LA Galaxy earning sick numbers...

However, how many have seen him acctually play the sport and knows him from that and doesn't know him from his other activities as for example commercials?

But I will agree that it is more fun to play sports then to watch them, never played softball or baseball though, we have a swedish version of it but it's like a kids game that we play in school, we haven't got a league or anything even close to that, atleast not to my knowledge..
philosopherqueen

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 07:01 pm
@Wizzy,
i only know of beckham because of victoria, I was young when the spice girls came out and i was a follower, i believe i even have the video that came out spiceworld, on vhs!!!! i still like to listen to them....
0 Replies

de budding

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 09:22 am
@philosopherqueen,
[quote=philosopherqueen]Well in the U.S. football, basketball, and baseball define most of the younger generation. I went to a small private school, where if you didn't play sports no matter guy or girl you would be outcasted, but since most people played the three students who didn't we ridiculed for not having enough school spirit. It's not that bad in public schools, but they'll always be the jock dork rivalry.[/quote]

Shame, well it is clearly a brain and brawn dispute and I am sure that the 'dorks' are not aggressive types, in fact I think to call it a rivalry is quite misleading.

[quote]the problem [is,] we define people for what they do and not who they are.[/quote]

I see your point but I would have to disagree; it is what a man does that defines him, and it is this definition that is 'who we are'. The problem is simply a categorical one, certain characteristics are judged positively- strength, wit, social staus, sexual status etc. And alternatively some are judged negatively- intelligence, judgement, senses-ability, commonsense etc. These characteristics need to be analysed with consideration of the individual who homes them, all characteristics have the potential to be negative or positive I guess. Where do these kids get off judging each other anyway? It's as if the jocks are concerned for the dorks so they resort to verbal taunting and physical abuse to try and 'encourage' the dorks to participate in sports.
Pathetic.

[quote]All that I know about soccer is Davis Beckham *that's bad I know, don't rag on me to bad*[/quote]

To be honest, soccer is so shallow that's all you need to know.
0 Replies