The Importance of Education

MJA

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:07 am
Here in Nevada as I am certain other states as well, due to the weakening economy, the governor has proposed 47% budgetary reduction of our local state university funds. With this reduction choices will have to be made as to which classes are essential to keep and which are not.

We have all been taught or told the importance of education so with the before mentioned reduction of curriculum, I would like to ask: what lesson have each of you received in your own formal education that you find so important or essential to your life, that without that lesson you would fail terribly or find it difficult to live?

I found the question difficult myself and unable to answer. That for me there was no specific lesson of utmost importance in my memory and found perhaps the importance of a formal education to be but a paradox.

What about you?
What lesson made or makes education so important or vital to you?
Thanks,

=
MJA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,951 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sirslayer4

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:16 pm
@MJA,
Formal education is/was not important to me, especially since I'm continuing a family business. (Besides that I do not feel formal education should be anywhere close to as important as it is or is made out to be.)

If there were any "lessons of utmost importance" that I learned, they were most certainly not from formal education of the latter years.The ability to read & write, which is learned in the first years of school, could be the exception. So other than the beginning years of school, formal education is not so vital.
0 Replies

mindlink

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:41 am
@MJA,
When I graduated in Applied Science, I looked around for a potential employer who could make good use of the data which I had stuffed in my head during my six years of university education. One of the potential employers told me that they were not interested in WHAT I had been taught to think; they were interested in HOW I had been taught to think.

Without even realizing it at the time, the most important and influential thing I learned at university was HOW to think.
rhinogrey

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:55 pm
@mindlink,
mindlink wrote:

Without even realizing it at the time, the most important and influential thing I learned at university was HOW to think.

This is the key here, and we need to somehow make it so that high school focuses on this as well instead of rote memorization of facts. Facts can be researched at any time; the ability of how to relate the facts to one another, make connections, innovate and bring facts together for new conceptions is what's important.

This leads to people being able to think for themselves and question that which is set in front of them, instead of just accepting it. Complacency is tradition's best friend and progress' worst enemy.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:53 pm
@rhinogrey,
Ditto to most of what was said above and Woot for the Millennium Scholarship, not.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:46 am
@MJA,
Quote:
What lesson have each of you received in your own formal education that you find so important or essential to your life, that without that lesson you would fail terribly or find it difficult to live?

The lesson for me is: Don't exclude something just because everyone else does; experience it first, then decide.
MJA

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:00 am
@Victor Eremita,
I think equality should be taught, for surely that is what the Earth lacks most. Equality would unite us and set us free.
Truth is that Way.
Has anyone here ever had a class called Equality 101?
I haven't. I had to find the truth All on my own.
Maybe its better that Way too.

=
MJA
0 Replies

mindlink

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:20 am
@MJA,
Equality
I = All = One.

The mathematics is simple, but most adults find the understanding to be difficult. I think that children have the ability to understand it right away, but most adults wouldn't know how to teach it.

Robert
MJA

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:16 pm
@mindlink,
mindlink wrote:
Equality
I = All = One.

The mathematics is simple, but most adults find the understanding to be difficult. I think that children have the ability to understand it right away, but most adults wouldn't know how to teach it.

Robert

Thanks Robert and the Philosophy Forum,

You may be the first person other than myself to see the simplicity of it All, the beautiful simplicity of truth. I've been banging on the science and education doors for a few years and no One would let me in. But this seemingly little philosophy forum did. And oh how it will change the world!

That said, shall we move ahead or wait for the rest?
I say lets get going!

So what is the importance of a simple truth that only a child could understand? A child who's equitable truth has yet to be buried by uncertainties and complexities, by theories and by faiths, by inequity itself. Well let me try to count the infinite Ways.

In physics = was the solution to Einstein's quest for a unified Field Theory.
It was at the very center of his own energy equation, in front of him and all of us all alone. Yes, e = mc2 reduced to truth unites the energy fields. = is the unifying solution.

But = does so much more. It is also the solution to TOE., the Theory of Everything. But much more than a theory, the truth of equality unites the universe and proves our own Oneness. = is the Universal Solvent!!! It solves Everything.

Religion has only but faith today, in search of truth. God = All is the truth we've been praying for All along.

Uniting science with religion is as simple as =.
Energy = Mass or God = All.
Energy = God
Mass = All
They're All equally One or the same.

Democracy? Jefferson nailed it, but it was not yet time for a true democracy to come into fruition. A true democracy is an equitable government for equitable people by equitable people. But not until the people are enlightened, not until the people are equally One.
Education of equality 101 is the key.

Justice? Today we have courts that measure the fairness of the law. But once the truth of justice is understood, fair is thrown out and equal becomes the righteous or just Way. Measure is the flaw!

Freedom? Only the truth shall set us free.

But the effects of equality are far more incredible than One can imagine.
I see the role of mankind is to right the wrongs, to return the Earth to its former glory, full circle, a complete revolution forward not back to the Garden of Eden, to the paradise lost and found again. Heaven comes to Earth.

=
MJA
0 Replies

Phosphorous

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 05:39 pm
@MJA,
I understand what your saying MJA, with a key dissagreement.

Really, an understanding of diversity is key to understanding how everything is one. Even so, the solution isn't to stay with one. It's not about realizing that all is one and then resting in that realization. If you do that, you're still thinking one-sidedly.

Thus, the true master is at home in the one, the two, the many. Education then, should be about understanding the security of the one, and embracing the uncertainty of the many.

Hope that makes sense.
mindlink

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 12:27 am
@Phosphorous,
Phosphorous wrote:
I understand what your saying MJA, with a key dissagreement.

Really, an understanding of diversity is key to understanding how everything is one. Even so, the solution isn't to stay with one. It's not about realizing that all is one and then resting in that realization. If you do that, you're still thinking one-sidedly.

Thus, the true master is at home in the one, the two, the many. Education then, should be about understanding the security of the one, and embracing the uncertainty of the many.

Hope that makes sense.

In my wondrous lifetime I have realized three basic states of consciousness:
"I" - there's me and then there's you other guys.
"All" - me and you guys are really all linked together.
"One" - there's no me and no you guys; there's just IS. (Also called consciousness-without-an-object-and-without-a-subject)

Like concentrical spheres, the "All" state of consciousness (sometimes called Nirvana) embraced the "I" state of consciousness. Within the perspective of me and you guys all linked together, there remained the perspective of me and you guys being separate entities.
Within the state of consiousness called "One", where I and you guys were not distinguishable, there remained both the perspective of "All" and the perspective of "I". I = All = One

Not easy to talk about in a written language. One has to have the experience.

Anyway, I like what you said: You can't rest in one realization. They all coexist.

mindlink
rhinogrey

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 04:22 pm
@mindlink,
mindlink wrote:
In my wondrous lifetime I have realized three basic states of consciousness:
"I" - there's me and then there's you other guys.
"All" - me and you guys are really all linked together.
"One" - there's no me and no you guys; there's just IS. (Also called consciousness-without-an-object-and-without-a-subject)

Like concentrical spheres, the "All" state of consciousness (sometimes called Nirvana) embraced the "I" state of consciousness. Within the perspective of me and you guys all linked together, there remained the perspective of me and you guys being separate entities.
Within the state of consiousness called "One", where I and you guys were not distinguishable, there remained both the perspective of "All" and the perspective of "I". I = All = One

Well said. I agree, and have had similar experiences.
0 Replies

MJA

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
In response to my state's faultering economy and proposed cuts in eductaion I recently wrote:
A society that measures itself on how well it can solve a math problem and how many measures of degree it can accumulate will fail terribly in the truer subjects of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Education reformation should have little to do with budgets and cuts and money, presidents and governors, but rather simply should be about a change of curriculum, a change in what we teach. Lessons about truth, about goodness, lessons about living are all our children our future society really needs.

=
0 Replies