Christian Majority and Biblical Literalism

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 06:34 am
I was asked this question over PM, and an hour or so later I had 4,000 characters too many to send my answer in PM. So, I'll post it here. There are a number of issues being (however confusedly) discussed.

The ID thread can be found here:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-religion/4004-intelligent-design.html

click here wrote:
In your reply to me in the Intelligent Design thread you mentioned that there are more Christians currently today with a figurative interpretation of Genesis. I am curious as to what sources you use to know this information.

Hey!

That's a great question, and I'm glad you asked.

Gallup, perhaps the most significant American polling firm, released this report in 2007:

One-Third of Americans Believe the Bible is Literally True

The following article, from 2005, makes a strikingly different claim about Americans and their Bible beliefs:

Poll: 63% of Americans <br>think Bible literally true

The problem with this report is that the link to the supposed Rasmussen Report poll simply links to the said group's homepage rather than to the actual report. Luckily, with a bit of perseverance, if something has been published online, it can be found:

Religion

According to this poll, "Sixty-three percent (63%) of Americans believe the Bible is literally true and the Word of God".

In this Rasmussen article, from August 2006:

Rasmussen Reports: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

We find the claim that "Earlier this summer, a national survey found that 54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true." This is a massive shift in public opinion for a mere one year The link provided as support for this claim leads to this article:

Rasmussen Reports: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

In this article, from July 2006, we find the claim again and the American opinion summed up:

"Fifty-four percent (54%) of all Americans believe the Bible is literally true while 32% disagree and 13% are not sure."

At the bottom of the page of the last article, there is the line: "Crosstabs are available for Premium Members." And when you click on "Crosstabs", you will be directed to the following link:

http://legacy.rasmussenreports.com/MembersOnly/2006%20National%20Polls/US_062206%20Crosstabs%20Church.htm

This final Rasmussen link contains a chart with the aforementioned Rasmussen statistics as well as some other interesting statistics relating to "Likely voter" religious perception.

You are probably wondering: why in the world did this guy throw up so many links? It's an important query.

The Rasmussen statistics, according to the chart provided, claims the information is derived from a survey of 1,000 likely voters. However, this contradicts the claim that 54% of all Americans believe that the Bible is literally true. "Likely voters " is not tantamount to "all Americans". I do not argue that Rasmussen has some sinister motive for this semantic shift; my point is simply that Rasmussen has, at least, made an important oversight.

Now what? What are we to believe?

The 2005 Rasmussen survey claims 63% and the 2006 survey claims 54%. But, as we have found, the 54% applies to likely voters, not all adult Americans, a point Rasmussen has left out in the articles. The 2005 survey claim of 63% claims, like the 2006 54% claim, that Rasmussen is speaking of "all Americans". However, we know that Rasmussen sometimes uses "all Americans" and "likely voters" interchangeably. This, perhaps, explains the remarkable one year, 9 point change: 2005 likely voters were more likely to believe the Bible is literally true than likely 2006 voters. This should be expected: in 2006, Democrats turned out to push Republicans, who are more likely to believe that the Bible is literally true, out of office. The opinion of "all Americans" did not change by nine points, it was the opinion of likely voters that shifted.

Do we go with Rasmussen's "likely voter" tally and say that 54% of all Americans believe the Bible is literally true? I'm not comfortable with that equivocation. Rasmussen did not ask 1,000 adult Americans, they polled 1,000 likely voters.

Now we get to the Gallup Poll. According to Gallup, twice between 1976 and 1984 "40% of Americans agreed with the literal interpretation view of the Bible" while the average during that period was 38%. The 1991-2007 average is 31%. Not only does Gallup have a longer history of keeping up with this question, but their numbers appear to be more realistic given their relative stability when compared to the wild shifts found in Rasmussen numbers.

While the Rasmussen survey covers "likely voters", the Gallup survey covers "adult Americans." Given the enlightening breakdown of who believes what provided by Gallup, a feature neglected by Rasmussen, I think we can also say that the Gallup survey is simply more informative.

The Baptist Press uses Gallup numbers:
Baptist Press - CULTURE DIGEST: United Methodists approve transgender pastor; poll examines Bible beliefs - News with a Christian Perspective

Given the two options of Gallup and Rasmussen regarding the question of whether or not a majority of Americans belie the Bible is literally true, the Gallup Poll seems to provide, not only a more complete picture of the issue, not only more consistent and therefore likely statistics, but Gallup also seems to be the option of the two that actually addresses the question: Gallup asks adult Americans, Rasmussen asks likely voters and then stamps likely voter data as data which is true for all Americans.

Now that I think we have settled this, and have agreed that the Gallup numbers best represent the beliefs of Americans regarding the way in which the Bible is to be read, I realize that I have not really answered your question. You did not ask about Americans specifically, you asked about Christians, "currently today": you wanted to know about contemporary Christians world-wide. Again, great question. Where do I get this stuff from?

Unfortunately, no poll exists, to my knowledge, that could shed any light on this question. We might look at polls like the ones I have provided which cover one particular nation, but even here we are limited and would not be able to cover even a third of the world's population in compiling such polls.

So what else can we do?

The only thing I know to do is to look at how many Christians belong to what denomination, reference the official dogma of the various denominations, assume that adherents to a particular denomination believe the dogma of their denomination, and then crunch the numbers. Of course, this method, like the polls, is not completely accurate. However, complete or even near accuracy is impossible, so we have to be comfortable with finding the most likely answer and, in giving that answer, be careful not to make over-extended claims.

The largest denomination is the Roman Catholic Church which represents just over half of all Christians. While the Catholic Church does stress the importance of the "literal sense" of the Bible, that denomination's dogma clearly shows that the Bible is not to be taken as literally true, word for word. It has a "literal meaning" and a "spiritual meaning". Let's be careful with the semantics, though: by literal meaning, the RCC does not mean that the book is literally true, only that these stories have a 'face value', the "literal meaning". The "spiritual meaning" is the significance of the "literal" stories. Some of this confusion comes from one of the definitions of "literal": 'according with the letter of the scriptures'. To be literal, in that way, means to be in accordance with scripture: but surely this is not what we are after because scripture necessarily accords with itself.

Scripture has literal meaning, just as Moby Dick contains the literal meaning that Ahab had a wooden leg, and also both have a spiritual meaning, what his wooden leg represents. Whether or not Ahab actually existed is an entirely different matter.

Biblical literalists have begun to use a new phrase for their belief: the historical-grammatical method. This method calls for one correct interpretation of each passage of the Bible. This notion runs contrary to the RCC's dogma, runs contrary to the opinion of most Anglican communities, and runs contrary to most denominations. Even the most traditional of Lutherans, who believe in Biblical inerrancy, would reject the notion that there is one correct interpretation for scripture.

Many denominations do take some aspects of the Bible in a literal way, according to historical-grammatical hermeneutics; one could argue that this is true of the RCC and perhaps even the Anglican community. This is certainly true of the Eastern Orthodox Church: they take the resurrection of Jesus to be a true, historical event. But that some portions of the Bible are literally true according to a denomination's dogma does not mean that the whole of the text is literally true. Going back to Genesis, the book in question, I have seen no evidence that RCC dogma demands that the Book of Genesis has one correct interpretation and is historically accurate down to the last detail. The RCC does allow for personal interpretation, does allow for more than one correct interpretation, and does not label Genesis a purely historical account. Neither does the Anglican community, neither does the EOC. The RCC represents over half of the world's Christian population, 1.147 billion people. The Anglican community has over 70 million members. The EOC has 225 million members. I think we've hit our mark on the numbers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,639 • Replies: 31
No top replies

click here

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 01:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I decided not to quote your post for obvious reasons.

That reply was definitely more then I was expecting.

As you have stated yourself calculating this opinion acurately is far from easy and in the end rather pointless.

I do wonder how those whom deny the existence of Adam get around the genealogies listing fathers from Adam to Jesus. Luke 3 for example. Assumedly they deny some part of the genealogy. I truly am curious as to what their reasons are for not only rejecting Genesis as literal but also rejecting some point on the genealogy.

I don't think the question I should be asking is "how many believe this" but "why do many believe this".
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:55 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:

As you have stated yourself calculating this opinion acurately is far from easy and in the end rather pointless.

Right, as far as a majority of Christians is concerned. What we can say, though, is that the denominations which do not prescribe a literal interpretation of the Bible represent the majority of Christian practitioners.

click here wrote:
I do wonder how those whom deny the existence of Adam get around the genealogies listing fathers from Adam to Jesus. Assumedly they deny some part of the genealogy. I truly am curious as to what their reasons are for not only rejecting Genesis as literal but also rejecting some point on the genealogy.

Why would the genealogies make any difference? Compare the lists from the Old Testament to those in the New Testament and you will find, if not errors, at the very least omissions. The difference between error and omission being entirely debatable. In any case, that there is any discrepancy is odd: wouldn't you imagine the scribes writing the New Testament could simply copy the lineage from the more ancient texts?

But there are other issues, too. The simple question "why should we accept the supposed existence of Adam?" is not easy to answer when the only potential shred of evidence is a 2,500-3,000 year old book. It's shoddy history. No corroboration with period sources.

Now we hit observation. By claiming that Adam literally existed, the very first man, the only human father of all human kind, you make a scientific claim. At this point, you are claiming to explain, to some extent, the origin of our species. The obvious problem: there is no evidence to support this claim. Sure, this goes back to the ID thread. So ignore it if you like. But, as you can see, there are other serious problems aside from speculative, anti-empirical scientific claims.

A fourth reason to consider: a literal reading of Genesis degrades the spiritual value. I won't make an argument for this, but I will make a suggestion. Pick up a handy Bible and reread Genesis with the assumption that nothing stated in the book is literally true. Interpret. Maybe this exercise turns out to be a waste of time, but I imagine that, at the very least, you will learn a great deal about people with whom you disagree. Smile

click here wrote:
I don't think the question I should be asking is "how many believe this" but "why do many believe this".

And I think you couldn't be more right. The reasons why people believe are directly related to how many people believe.
click here

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 06:13 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Why would the genealogies make any difference? Compare the lists from the Old Testament to those in the New Testament and you will find, if not errors, at the very least omissions. The difference between error and omission being entirely debatable. In any case, that there is any discrepancy is odd: wouldn't you imagine the scribes writing the New Testament could simply copy the lineage from the more ancient texts?

I am no scholar but this is what I have learned.

Errors with modern transcriptions but unlikely with original text.

If we compare the New and Old Testament. They are the same until we get to "Shem (Noah's Son), Arphaxad, (Cainan), Shelah". Cainan is listed in Luke though not in Genesis 11:12 nor 1 Ch. 1:24 nor has he appeared in any Hebrew copy of the Old Testament as well as not being included in the Samaritan version and the Targum. He is also not mentioned in Theodore Beza's most ancient Greek text of Luke. Though he is mentioned in present copies of the Septuagint though he was not originally there. I think it is (as well as other scholars) the fault of a transcriber and that the original text was then accurate.

When we then get down to king David son of Jesse. David gave birth through Bathsheba 4 sons if my memory serves me right. Two of those sons being Nathan and Solomon. Luke traces the line from Nathan while Mathew traces from Solomon. Both end with Jesus. It is assumed that Luke is detailing Mary's lineage while Matthew is detailing Josephs. I remember hearing of another historical book that mentions Heli (Eli) being the father of Mary.

I believe that the original texts, while we do not have today, were inerrant.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

But there are other issues, too. The simple question "why should we accept the supposed existence of Adam?" is not easy to answer when the only potential shred of evidence is a 2,500-3,000 year old book. It's shoddy history. No corroboration with period sources.

When you say "we" remember we are referring to Christians that are choosing not to accept the existence, not non Chrisitians.

Why should we not accept the existence of Adam? Where in the Bible does it ever say that Genesis is figurative? I'm quite sure its figurativeness is created by man for reasons unknown to me. Perhaps it is the scientific theories that scare them. Instead of questioning the legitimacy of a new theory do they simply change that which they have believed for years? When Moses wrote Genesis and (supposedly) crafted a figurative story why would he find the need to create a fake lineage? Geneaologies were an obsession with people of past times where they not? We may not have other sources of genealogies though its a fair supposition to assume that Moses documentation was not the first post-flood geneaology. Did all people before Moses all choose not to keep records of their ancestors? I would assume that many of them did and could have checked the accuracy of Moses's 'facetious geneaologies' and would not have stood for downright lies. We may not have those other sources today but if we did then we would ofcourse toss out the inaccuracy or agree with the accuracy of the geneaology that Moses puts forth. I would assume that past generations would have done the same.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Now we hit observation. By claiming that Adam literally existed, the very first man, the only human father of all human kind, you make a scientific claim. At this point, you are claiming to explain, to some extent, the origin of our species. The obvious problem: there is no evidence to support this claim. Sure, this goes back to the ID thread. So ignore it if you like. But, as you can see, there are other serious problems aside from speculative, anti-empirical scientific claims.

Remember we are talking about Christians choosing to deny or accept this not the rest of the worlds population. The very evidence that Christians choose to refer to is primarily the Bible. So then they go on to question the Bible as a source and to how it should be interpreted.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

A fourth reason to consider: a literal reading of Genesis degrades the spiritual value. I won't make an argument for this, but I will make a suggestion. Pick up a handy Bible and reread Genesis with the assumption that nothing stated in the book is literally true. Interpret. Maybe this exercise turns out to be a waste of time, but I imagine that, at the very least, you will learn a great deal about people with whom you disagree. Smile

Does it? I would say that a figurative reading of Genesis degrades the spiritual value. Not all verses in the Bible are meant to touch the heart and have songs written about them. Take for example in Joshua where all of Israels tribes are assigned their plot of land. It is meant to be historical documentation not a poem. We don't figurativly interpret the 10 commandments. Do not murder means do not murder.

You can not also choose to stop at Genesis in calling it figurative you must then call Exodus figurative as Genesis transitions directly into Exodus. Where does the figurative/story line interpretation end and why?

Why obey the 10 commandments if you do not acctually believe that they are a direct command of God given to Moses? They must then have been a creation of Moses whom is a flawed human.

I will say that this topic really truly does interest me and sadly I do not know very much about it. I do know that when you start calling certain parts of the Bible figurative your going to start running into a lot of questions.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 03:16 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
I am no scholar but this is what I have learned.

Errors with modern transcriptions but unlikely with original text.

If we compare the New and Old Testament. They are the same until we get to "Shem (Noah's Son), Arphaxad, (Cainan), Shelah". Cainan is listed in Luke though not in Genesis 11:12 nor 1 Ch. 1:24 nor has he appeared in any Hebrew copy of the Old Testament as well as not being included in the Samaritan version and the Targum. He is also not mentioned in Theodore Beza's most ancient Greek text of Luke. Though he is mentioned in present copies of the Septuagint though he was not originally there. I think it is (as well as other scholars) the fault of a transcriber and that the original text was then accurate.

For what reason do you suppose that the original text did not contain errors? Why is it unlikely that the original did not contain these errors? What evidence is there?

[/SIZE]
click here wrote:
When we then get down to king David son of Jesse. David gave birth through Bathsheba 4 sons if my memory serves me right. Two of those sons being Nathan and Solomon. Luke traces the line from Nathan while Mathew traces from Solomon. Both end with Jesus. It is assumed that Luke is detailing Mary's lineage while Matthew is detailing Josephs. I remember hearing of another historical book that mentions Heli (Eli) being the father of Mary.

I believe that the original texts, while we do not have today, were inerrant.

But there simply isn't any evidence for such a claim from an historical perspective. When you assert that a genealogy is inerrant, you have entered the realm of history, and history has standards. Some corroboration is expected. Were the genealogies in original copies of Luke exactly like those in the Old Testament? It's possible, but there simply isn't any evidence to suggest they were. Historically, we cannot say. [/SIZE]

click here wrote:
When you say "we" remember we are referring to Christians that are choosing not to accept the existence, not non Chrisitians.

It doesn't matter. When you make an historical claim the standard for evidence has nothing to do with one's spiritual tradition.

click here wrote:
Why should we not accept the existence of Adam?

No evidence. All we have is the Bible: if we read the Bible literally, as you would have us do, then the text comes some 2,000 years after Adam. This is no evidence of Adam's existence.

click here wrote:
Where in the Bible does it ever say that Genesis is figurative?

The Bible does not have to explicity state that it should be read figuratively. Dante's Comedy never explicitly states "read this text figuratively" yet any reasonable reader understands that a literal reading misses the point. The Bible, after all, is literature.

click here wrote:
I'm quite sure its figurativeness is created by man for reasons unknown to me.

Of course the Bible is figurative because of man: man wrote the Bible.

click here wrote:
Perhaps it is the scientific theories that scare them.

The problem with this explanation is that the Bible has been read figuratively since day one. From the moment it was set down.

click here wrote:
Instead of questioning the legitimacy of a new theory do they simply change that which they have believed for years?

But now you are making an assumption about what people have believed for years. That the Bible is literally true and not figuratively true is a modern development, a response to the Higher Criticism of the 1850's.

click here wrote:
When Moses wrote Genesis and (supposedly) crafted a figurative story why would he find the need to create a fake lineage?

No one really suggests that the lineage is "fake", only that the account of the lineage may very well contain errors, and that the recorded lineage does not meet the criteria for acceptence as historically true.

click here wrote:
Geneaologies were an obsession with people of past times where they not? We may not have other sources of genealogies though its a fair supposition to assume that Moses documentation was not the first post-flood geneaology. Did all people before Moses all choose not to keep records of their ancestors? I would assume that many of them did and could have checked the accuracy of Moses's 'facetious geneaologies' and would not have stood for downright lies.

There are other mythological accounts of the first people and so forth. But other peoples would have had no way to 'stand against' Moses' account just as the people of Moses had no way to stand against the various other accounts:
Wurugag and Waramurungundi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kaliyan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kalicchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pangu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pandora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deucalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pyrrha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_(Hinduism)

And so forth.

click here wrote:
We may not have those other sources today but if we did then we would ofcourse toss out the inaccuracy or agree with the accuracy of the geneaology that Moses puts forth. I would assume that past generations would have done the same.

The problem is that we do have some of those sources - and they are absolutely unrelated to the accounts attributed to Moses: they are essentially independent mythologies, something that all peoples developed, mythologies that were either lost or made popular due to the successes of the people who held them.

click here wrote:
Remember we are talking about Christians choosing to deny or accept this not the rest of the worlds population. The very evidence that Christians choose to refer to is primarily the Bible. So then they go on to question the Bible as a source and to how it should be interpreted.

Yes, but when you make an historical claim, even the Christian has to recognize the weakness of arguing that Genesis, especially, is historically true. As we go to later books in the Old Testament, they become increasingly accurate, though still mythologized: the people of Moses did leave Egypt, though the actual reasons and circumstances are not known. We have nothing to coroborate the Biblical account, all we have is achraeological evidence that some group of people moved north into Canaan and came to merge with the people already there. We call these people the people of Moses because Moses is the mythological figure associated with such a move. The people of Moses brought north with them monotheism, which was alien to the Canaanites. It was only after the arrival of these people that the Canaanites began to shift toward monotheism. Temples of El, pre-Moses, were also used to worship other deities.

click here wrote:
Does it? I would say that a figurative reading of Genesis degrades the spiritual value. Not all verses in the Bible are meant to touch the heart and have songs written about them. Take for example in Joshua where all of Israels tribes are assigned their plot of land. It is meant to be historical documentation not a poem. We don't figurativly interpret the 10 commandments. Do not murder means do not murder.

Not all verses in the Bible are meant to touch the heart?

click here wrote:
You can not also choose to stop at Genesis in calling it figurative you must then call Exodus figurative as Genesis transitions directly into Exodus. Where does the figurative/story line interpretation end and why?

Sure, Exodues does have a great deal of figurative meaning. Wandering in the desert for forty years foreshadows Jesus' forty nights in the desert, and so forth. Where does the figurative interpretation end? With the reader's spiritual journey.

click here wrote:
Why obey the 10 commandments if you do not acctually believe that they are a direct command of God given to Moses? They must then have been a creation of Moses whom is a flawed human.

Because they are solid moral teachings. That they are a "direct commandment of God" is figurate: they are good moral teaching, thus, they must be approved by God because God would have us do what is right, not what is wrong. All good moral teaching, in that sense, is direct from God, even if a human codified the teaching.

click here wrote:
I will say that this topic really truly does interest me and sadly I do not know very much about it. I do know that when you start calling certain parts of the Bible figurative your going to start running into a lot of questions.

That's exactly the point: questions! A spiritual life which lacks questions and self exploration is empty and pointless. A spiritual life which is challenging and which forces you to question is worthwhile and enlightening. If the Bible gave direct, literal, answers to every question then church and prayer would be pointless: we'd all be saints! But we are not, the Bible does not do such a thing - instead, the Book challenges us to think and reevaluate the way we live.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 05:15 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Because they are solid moral teachings. That they are a "direct commandment of God" is figurate: they are good moral teaching, thus, they must be approved by God because God would have us do what is right, not what is wrong. All good moral teaching, in that sense, is direct from God, even if a human codified the teaching.

I don't think this is an appropriate response to the question, "Why obey the 10 commandments if you do not actually believe they are a direct command of God?"

On what basis do we reach the conclusion they are good, solid moral teachings? Because they are in the Bible? Who decides? You? Me? A priest? An appeal to authority?

Even assuming they are good, solid moral teachings, how is this a premise for the conclusion, "thus they must be approved by God"? Say we have contradicting teachings, both we consider "good", are they both 'direct from God'? Does consensus for what is "good" pave way to 'direct from God', without exception? If all moral teachings are 'codified' by humans, and morality differs, sometimes diametrically between cultures, when do you know something is 'direct from God'? Could it not be 'direct from God' is simply figurative for "how we ought to live"? Could it not be "God" is simply figurative for an authority to persuade "how we ought to live"?

Sorry, I know this is probably a bit off-topic.
0 Replies

click here

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 02:51 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Not all verses in the Bible are meant to touch the heart?

I'm not sure how you want me to respond to that as I am not really sure what you are asking.

I said that because I believe that certain parts of the Bible are simply historical. Genealogies being one example.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Sure, Exodues does have a great deal of figurative meaning. Wandering in the desert for forty years foreshadows Jesus' forty nights in the desert, and so forth. Where does the figurative interpretation end? With the reader's spiritual journey.

I'm not sure I understand your answer to my question. A figurative interpretation must end when a factual interpretation takes over. Where then in the Bible does the 'factual' information arrise is a question that I would ask a christian of figurative interpretation. I'm looking for a specific book or passage that they would reference for the beginning of factual historical account. They would assume the historical accuracy of Matthew I would assume but why would they not assume the historical accuracy of other books. That is what I want to know.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Are you forgetting that we are assuming from a Christian perspective that God truly does exist? How then are we to know what good moral teaching is unless God tells us?
Ichthus91

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 10:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I didn't take the time to read everything you wrote but based on thee title I have this to say: The bible can be taken completely literal if read in the original manuscripts. The Old Testament/Tanakh is mostly in Hebrew; only Danial and Ezra are in Aramaic (as well as a few words in Genesis and Jeremiah). The New Testament/New Covenant is all written in Koine Greek. The reason they can be taken literal is that the words literally have more than one meaning and often correspond to the metaphorical meaning we get when reading something like the NIV. English just can't render every meaning before our eyes. As a general rule of thumb; I always keep in mind that there are at least three meanings to every scripture. Also, one must be careful not to twist scripture by inserting his/her own ideas. However, if the idea is supported by other scripture and does not contradict other scripture then it may be seen as dogmatic.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:55 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Good discussion; and from what I've seen there seems to be an increasing number of christians (or those who call themselves christians) who subscribe to a more figurative interpretation of the bible.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Because they are solid moral teachings...

Hey DT, I am curious about this notion that the biblical 10-commandments are 'solid moral teachings'. Some seem to be (at least in terms of what I subscribe to be 'good'), but how are these 'good' in any terms - for any reason other than 'ritual'?[INDENT] Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God
You shall have no other gods before me
I am the Lord your God
[/INDENT]Thanks
xris

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:33 am
@Khethil,
I find the figures startling, even thirty percent gives me the ooby doobies.It just goes to show what brain washing can do to a whole population of well fed individuals..I wonder how many would believe such nonsense if the bible or god was not mentioned till they reached 14..It really amounts to something akin to enforced indoctrination, it should be made illegal..
Labyrinth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:23 am
@xris,
As a Christian myself, I'm puzzled by the perceived need to take the Bible literally. The stories found especially in the Old Testament are clearly oral traditions which were transmitted to written form very late in their life. The New Testament is not free from the alteration of orally passed stories. Try chronologically tracing the differing accounts about Judas Iscariot.

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."
Deuteronomy 4:9

Plus, the authors were not and never attempted to be narrative historians. However, Paul in Romans also instructs Christians to allow other believers to hold to beliefs that would allow them to maintain their faith without conflicting with it. In other words, a figurative interpreter of the Bible would not try to convince a literalist to see things his way so as to not cause another believer to stumble.

I think a lot of Christians feel it is required for the Bible to be literally true because of the teaching that the scriptures are "God-breathed." They take this as meaning God spoke the words to be written in the ear of the authors and that they were recorded without error (in the "original manuscripts"). I prefer the English translation of that expression, "inspired." Man must surely err when perceiving lessons and messages from an incomprehensible God. An avid Bible reader will see that man's perception of God develops. The God of the Pentateuch will strike a man dead for a non-moral sin such as touching the Ark. The 8th century prophets speak of a God who desires a higher moral standard beyond that written in the Law. The Job writer investigates the mysterious problem of evil. Jesus comes and challenges the way the Law was then interpreted. Throughout the Bible, man adjusted and challenged the way he viewed God. Without this realization, a verse in one part of the Bible may be used against another verse elsewhere.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:57 am
@Labyrinth,
Zetherin wrote:
I don't think this is an appropriate response to the question, "Why obey the 10 commandments if you do not actually believe they are a direct command of God?"

On what basis do we reach the conclusion they are good, solid moral teachings? Because they are in the Bible? Who decides? You? Me? A priest? An appeal to authority?

The very same way an atheist determines what is and what is not "good moral teaching". An appeal to God is not necessary when determining good moral teaching.

If 'don't kill others' is good moral teaching, it doesn't matter whether or not God made the suggestion. Every person has the ability to reflect and come to a conclusion.

click here wrote:
I'm not sure how you want me to respond to that as I am not really sure what you are asking.

I said that because I believe that certain parts of the Bible are simply historical. Genealogies being one example.

You can believe anything you like. The problem is that there is no evidence that the genealogies in the Bible are accurate historic record. There is nothing to corroborate those genealogies. Similar genealogies contradict those in the Bible. As a matter of history, there is no reason to assert that the genealogies in the Bible are accurate.

click here wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your answer to my question. A figurative interpretation must end when a factual interpretation takes over. Where then in the Bible does the 'factual' information arrise is a question that I would ask a christian of figurative interpretation. I'm looking for a specific book or passage that they would reference for the beginning of factual historical account. They would assume the historical accuracy of Matthew I would assume but why would they not assume the historical accuracy of other books. That is what I want to know.

Why would someone assume that Matthew is historically accurate when there is nothing to corroborate the account?

click here wrote:
Are you forgetting that we are assuming from a Christian perspective that God truly does exist? How then are we to know what good moral teaching is unless God tells us?

No, I've not forgotten such a thing.

We humans are typically able to think for ourselves, to evaluate claims based on reason and experience and then draw conclusions.

The Bible does not say anything about napalm, nuclear weapons or agent orange, yet we can still consider the morality of the use of these things despite the lack of Biblical prescription. The Bible does not tell us whether or not beating your dog is acceptable or not, yet we can still make a determination on our own.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:42 am
@click here,
click here wrote:

Oh brother... :sarcastic:

The morality of the teaching is supposed to be apparent, but it is this set of morals that is universal, and not the belief system. The religion is built around our moral base, our morals are not built around the religion (in theory). People who appear to think the opposite either are incapable of critical thought, or they have an agenda.

We heard from Ghandi:

"As soon as we lose the moral basis, we cease to be religious. There is no such thing as religion over-riding morality. Man, for instance, cannot be untruthful, cruel or incontinent and claim to have God on his side."

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."
Resha Caner

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:49 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
The morality of the teaching is supposed to be apparent, but it is this set of morals that is universal, and not the belief system. The religion is built around our moral base, our morals are not built around the religion (in theory). People who appear to think the opposite either are incapable of critical thought, or they have an agenda.

First of all, I think click is merely asking to work from Christian assumptions for this thread. He's not saying everyone actually does so. Given that, there are perfectly good reasons to take your moral lessons from God. It is only the assumption that all religions invent gods that would make your comments viable. So, I don't think they apply.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas wrote:
The problem is that there is no evidence that the genealogies in the Bible are accurate historic record. There is nothing to corroborate those genealogies. Similar genealogies contradict those in the Bible.

Can you clarify this, Didymos? I'm not sure I get your meaning. Are you saying there are genealogies of Biblical people given by secular sources? If so, that is new to me. Or are you saying there are genealogies from other cultures that claim to present descent from the first man?

Didymos Thomas wrote:
As a matter of history, there is no reason to assert that the genealogies in the Bible are accurate.

Why would someone assume that Matthew is historically accurate when there is nothing to corroborate the account?

I think you're stretching this a bit far. You are correct that there is no secular corroboration (though the 3 other gospels can be seen as a type of corroboration for Matthew). At the same time, there is no reason to think they are not true. Most historians will simply remain neutral on the matter.

It is interesting though, that people are willing to accept as historical other events that have only a single source. Why is that? I've always thought it due to the nature of the claim. People are willing to accept Kunte Kinte's genealogy (which wasn't even written down, but depended on some old man's memory) because he was a slave. They contest Jesus' genealogy because he claimed to be the Son of God.

Now, if one were to add the cultural importance of genealogy within the Hebrew tradition (Jews today still identify themselves with one of the 12 tribes), it is reasonable to assume that Jesus' claim as a descendant of David is true. Were it not true, and given the importance of that issue to other Jews, it would have been challenged when the words were first written. How much you extrapolate beyond that depends on how much of the OT you accept as real.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:26 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
Given that, there are perfectly good reasons to take your moral lessons from God. It is only the assumption that all religions invent gods that would make your comments viable.

Ok, how about listing some examples of your perfectly good reasons to take moral lessons from God. First of all, do you or others communicate with God in order to receive his lessons, and can this be verified? Let's have the proof. Second, can you legitimately argue that the lessons (if they exist) are necessarily moral?

Until you sufficiently back up these claims, sorry, but I do not think they apply, to anything, except perhaps Sunday school.
Resha Caner

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 07:40 pm
@Pangloss,
You edited out my comment on assumptions. I said that the request (for the purpose of this thread) is to start from Christian assumptions. Did you hear that part? If you did, I think it makes the rest self-evident - almost a tautology.

Speaking apart from that assumption should be a different thread. But I will say that I understand why someone who does not believe in God would not accept the associated moral teachings as having any special authority.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 07:46 pm
@Pangloss,
Resha Caner wrote:

Can you clarify this, Didymos? I'm not sure I get your meaning. Are you saying there are genealogies of Biblical people given by secular sources? If so, that is new to me. Or are you saying there are genealogies from other cultures that claim to present descent from the first man?

No, I am not saying that there are genealogies of Biblical people given by secular sources from the period.

I did mention the fact that other cultures have similar genealogies which trace the descendants from the first man and that those genealogies contradict Biblical genealogies.

My point is that nothing corroborates the Biblical genealogies and that without any evidence we cannot take those genealogies as historically accurate. Might they be accurate? Perhaps, to a degree, in some places, but there just isn't any evidence that they are.

Resha Caner wrote:
I think you're stretching this a bit far. You are correct that there is no secular corroboration (though the 3 other gospels can be seen as a type of corroboration for Matthew). At the same time, there is no reason to think they are not true. Most historians will simply remain neutral on the matter.

There is not secular corroboration, no. But the other three Gospels do not amount to corroboration, either, not for history. The Gospels were written decades apart from one another, and later Gospels relied on earlier Gospels for information.

If I write an account of some event, and twenty years later someone else rewrites the account based on my first text, the later account in no way corroborates my first account as historically accurate.

Resha Caner wrote:
It is interesting though, that people are willing to accept as historical other events that have only a single source. Why is that? I've always thought it due to the nature of the claim. People are willing to accept Kunte Kinte's genealogy (which wasn't even written down, but depended on some old man's memory) because he was a slave. They contest Jesus' genealogy because he claimed to be the Son of God.

Actually, historians do not accept Kunte Kinte's supposed genealogy as accurate.

Resha Caner wrote:
Now, if one were to add the cultural importance of genealogy within the Hebrew tradition (Jews today still identify themselves with one of the 12 tribes), it is reasonable to assume that Jesus' claim as a descendant of David is true. Were it not true, and given the importance of that issue to other Jews, it would have been challenged when the words were first written. How much you extrapolate beyond that depends on how much of the OT you accept as real.

Two problems:

First, your argument that a) because genealogy is important in the Hebrew tradition b) it is reasonable to assume that Jesus' claim to be descended from David is true, is no argument at all. Nothing about the importance of genealogy in Judaism makes Jesus' claim to be descended from David more likely to be historically true.

Also, the notion that Jesus was the descendant of David, the Messiah, the King of the Jews, was rejected by the vast majority of Jews at the time. The claim was challenged at the time, and, if we are to believe that Jesus was crucified, the claim was challenged in a violent way.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 08:47 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
You edited out my comment on assumptions. I said that the request (for the purpose of this thread) is to start from Christian assumptions. Did you hear that part? If you did, I think it makes the rest self-evident - almost a tautology.

And you apparently missed the point of my first response, where I was attempting to start from Christian assumptions. The Christian message does not need to have a god's voice behind its words to make it a powerful message; it is powerful because of the moral standard that it teaches. So, the thinking Christians will not arrive at their view that Christianity is moral simply because it was created by a god. They will find that Christianity is divinely inspired, because it is moral.
0 Replies

Resha Caner

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 09:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
the other three Gospels do not amount to corroboration, either, not for history ... If I write an account of some event, and twenty years later someone else rewrites the account based on my first text, the later account in no way corroborates my first account as historically accurate.

I recently explained to someone that Josephus does not corroborate the OT because Josephus' source was the Septuagint. So, I understand what you're trying to say.

But that one gospel writer copied from another. I'd like to hear the evidence supporting that - especially given that (if memory serves correctly) the "later" gospels have material not included in the "earlier" gospels.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
your argument that a) because genealogy is important in the Hebrew tradition b) it is reasonable to assume that Jesus' claim to be descended from David is true, is no argument at all. Nothing about the importance of genealogy in Judaism makes Jesus' claim to be descended from David more likely to be historically true.

(edit): I will note that the though the type of argument I'm using here may not be convincing to you, it is common among historians. I looked up several examples I could share with you if you'd like.

Actually, what I was trying to say is that it was common practice for Jewish families to maintain genealogies. Therefore, it would be no surprise for Jesus' family to have kept a genealogy. (It's kind of funny that both John the Baptist and Paul took a swipe at how proud Jews were of knowing their family history).

Second, I was saying that many Jews claimed descent from David's tribe (Judah), and it is therefore not unreasonable for Jesus' genealogy to claim that (and for it to be historical), since we have evidence to corroborate David's historicity.

Given that, I don't see any basis for rejecting the genealogy. Especially because ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Also, the notion that Jesus was the descendant of David, the Messiah, the King of the Jews, was rejected by the vast majority of Jews at the time. The claim was challenged at the time, and, if we are to believe that Jesus was crucified, the claim was challenged in a violent way.

from this I think, again, you misunderstand me. Claiming biological descent from David does not entail claiming to be the Messiah. It is necessary, but not sufficient. What the Jews rejected was the messianic claim, not his biological genealogy.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Pangloss wrote:
And you apparently missed the point of my first response, where I was attempting to start from Christian assumptions. The Christian message does not need to have a god's voice behind its words to make it a powerful message; it is powerful because of the moral standard that it teaches. So, the thinking Christians will not arrive at their view that Christianity is moral simply because it was created by a god. They will find that Christianity is divinely inspired, because it is moral.

Maybe I did miss your point, because what you say is inconsistent with Christianity, therefore it seemed you were starting from a different assumption. Indeed, I still say you are - to claim that a "Christian message" does not need "a god's voice" - seems odd in light of how Jesus said that he was sent by God the Father.

But, before I offend you too much, may I ask your background? Do you consider yourself a Christian? From what Christian reading do you draw the conclusion that the Christian message makes no claim to be from God?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 06:33 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
But that one gospel writer copied from another. I'd like to hear the evidence supporting that - especially given that (if memory serves correctly) the "later" gospels have material not included in the "earlier" gospels.

It's easy to find information on this. Check up on the Synoptic Problem. Theories differ, but the most prominent theories have something to do with Gospel writers using earlier Gospels as base texts for writing new Gospels.

Resha Caner wrote:
(edit): I will note that the though the type of argument I'm using here may not be convincing to you, it is common among historians. I looked up several examples I could share with you if you'd like.

Actually, what I was trying to say is that it was common practice for Jewish families to maintain genealogies. Therefore, it would be no surprise for Jesus' family to have kept a genealogy. (It's kind of funny that both John the Baptist and Paul took a swipe at how proud Jews were of knowing their family history).

I agree, it is not unlikely that Jesus' family kept a genealogy. However, it is also unlikely that their genealogy was completely accurate, especially once you go back a thousand years.

Resha Caner wrote:
Second, I was saying that many Jews claimed descent from David's tribe (Judah), and it is therefore not unreasonable for Jesus' genealogy to claim that (and for it to be historical), since we have evidence to corroborate David's historicity.

I agree with part of this: it is not unreasonable for Jesus' genealogy to have claimed that he was descended from David. However, by admitting that many Jews make this claim your second claim (that the claim is historically accurate) is increasingly unreasonable. It is not uncommon for groups of people to claim to be descended from legendary leaders/rulers regardless of the history. Take, for example, the supposed lineage of European nobility - I have been to the castles where statues were erected of supposed ancestors, these would include Roman Emperors and so forth, people who were most certainly not ancestors of the nobles.

Resha Caner wrote:
Given that, I don't see any basis for rejecting the genealogy. Especially because ...

from this I think, again, you misunderstand me. Claiming biological descent from David does not entail claiming to be the Messiah. It is necessary, but not sufficient. What the Jews rejected was the messianic claim, not his biological genealogy.

That wasn't my point - my point was that the claim that Jesus was descended from David was contested. The Jews contested more than his genealogy, but also his genealogy: they rejected the idea that Jesus was heir to be king of the Jews.

[/COLOR]The basis for rejecting the genealogies in the Bible has historically accurate is clear: there is nothing to corroborate those genealogies. Bottom line. Might the genealogies be accurate, or at least partially accurate? Sure. But there isn't any evidence to support that they are. Believe what ever suits you, but without evidence those beliefs should not be forced onto the historical record.