The Awful Nature of Sin

Aedes

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:20 am
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:
Ok then, let us say He has provided a track prepared or available for forgiveness in His loving kindness. Would this be just according to a reasonable human understand of what a loving being is?
Yes. Parents put up with more crap than that from their own children and continue to love them. Many women get beaten and battered and still forgive their abusive husbands. If God is infinitely loving and infinitely forgiving, then it would seem vicious of him to condemn someone to an eternity of suffering to punish 75 years of godlessness.

Quote:
And would that track prepared, be according to our own judgment of what it ought to be, or His? Presuming He knows what will reconcile the difference, and therefore it would require His choice for that path.
Doctrinally speaking, we could not presume to speak for his ways and logic, right? But if his system is unpredictable to us, then how on earth could we know good from bad in God's eyes?

Quote:
If we are imperfect, by design or not by design.
If you believe that God designed us, and that he intentionally gave us limited knowledge but on the other hand allowed free will, then he intentionally designed us to act imperfectly -- because our knowledge is far more restricted than our ability to act. Which means that any judgement God imposes on our action is based on our ability to pass some kind of test of his, and in-so-doing either really win or really lose the eternal lottery.

Quote:
Then would there be the need for a promise of mercy, that can not be reversed? Presuming that we are imperfect.
God isn't merciful if he casts people into hell for all eternity as punishment for an imperfect human life-span's worth of actions.
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:31 pm
@Israelite007,
Aedes

"Doctrinally speaking, we could not presume to speak for his ways and logic, right?"

Absolutely, God speaks for God. But to speak of and or contemplate that which He reveals in Word and deed, would this not be Wisdom, knowledge and understanding received?
"But if his system is unpredictable to us, then how on earth could we know good from bad in God's eyes?"

Exactly "God's eyes", it is His view (not our own) that must be trusted to make good, for He makes good. Even from that which is without form, void, and in darkness. (For the lack of another example). Therefore it is His choice that is the way.

"If you believe that God designed us, and that he intentionally gave us limited knowledge but on the other hand allowed free will, then he intentionally designed us to act imperfectly -- because our knowledge is far more restricted than our ability to act. Which means that any judgement God imposes on our action is based on our ability to pass some kind of test of his, and in-so-doing either really win or really lose the eternal lottery."

Test or not, was it not after the response to the Voice of the Lord, then the decision was made. If He is man's maker wouldn't He be able to see the heart, if there be sincerity or insincerity therein.

"God isn't merciful if he casts people into hell for all eternity as punishment for an imperfect human life-span's worth of actions."

Your right? But would you intrust that which you value highly, to those that hate you, and anything that is yours? Would you invited any one in your house hold around your loved ones that would destroy it if given the chance?

All any being could desire in a relationship of trusting is to be loved, which would be acceptable by any reasonable human, let alone God. It is to be truly loved in sincerity that is acceptable to Him. If there be an infraction in that two way loving relationship it is forgiven, if forgiveness is soot by the transgressor if there be offence where the offender is aware of the offence or not.
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
That's more like what I'm looking for. What I want religious people to discuss is which is more important -- how we treat each other as an end unto itself versus how much we worship God.

Hi Aedes. You're pushing a very good point here. What about people who do their best and don't have any interest in God?? Usually in Christian discussions it's assumed that good works and belief in God go hand-in-hand, and the "good pagan" is not really addressed, or sometimes might not even considered as an option. I think you have a valid issue, and I'm not going to try to pretend that it's been adequately addressed.

To be honest, I personally still don't feel like I have very strong convictions about "how God will judge", so the best I can do is let you in on what I'm thinking on the subject at the moment... (Warning: To I'm going to have to get a bit theological...) At the heart of God's "law" is to not place oneself at the center of their own universe. I think it really is the traight behind all of the qualities that we feel are "good". So a person being selfless and loving is God's "law" that He wants us to follow. So when a person acts out of true love, they are submitting to God's law whether they know it or not. Thus God's will is accomplished in that situation, even if the person thinks that they are acting out of their own goodness to correct God's flaws. But how does God judge such an action? Jesus taught that if a person does a "good" action because they know that they will be naturally rewarded, then that natural reward is all they will get (God isn't impressed). The "natural reward" could be recognition, self-righteous feelings, repayment, etc. If on the other hand they do it sincerely, God will reward them. So what about a sincerely good action done with no thought of God... And what about a "good" action done in defience of God... I'm stumped. I'll have to leave that for God.

I do have a question about the Person 3. Would this person be of the mindset that if (if!) that person came to the realization, through whatever means, that God really does exist, that He is good and holy and worthy of worship, and that all His actions were 100% justified and moral, and that their own actions had not been as perfect as they thought... would they at that point submit to such a God?

Aedes wrote:

And like I've said, if religious belief and love of God can motivate people to do truly horrible things, then I'm not sure how we can argue that religion is somehow necessary for people to do truly good things. I think we have good and evil within us as humans -- religious people use religion to justify their acts, and non-religious people use other rationale.

I'd say thats a rather sound argument, at least from a natural point of view (ie God doesn't acutally exist or interact). The Christian perspective would be a bit different- that people and humanity need help to some degree, and that God offers it.

Aedes wrote:

Doctrinally speaking, we could not presume to speak for his ways and logic, right? But if his system is unpredictable to us, then how on earth could we know good from bad in God's eyes?

(Doctrinally speaking:)) We can cognitively know good from bad (to an extent) from what God has revealed about good and bad. We also have a conscience (spirit) that would guide us, which we could learn from or ignore.

Aedes wrote:

If you believe that God designed us, and that he intentionally gave us limited knowledge but on the other hand allowed free will, then he intentionally designed us to act imperfectly -- because our knowledge is far more restricted than our ability to act. Which means that any judgement God imposes on our action is based on our ability to pass some kind of test of his, and in-so-doing either really win or really lose the eternal lottery.

Perfection is not a requirement, because God is willing to pardon imperfection if a person wants Him to. How could God not pardon imperfection and yet remain a good God?? Because the choice to be pardoned or not is the individual's, and God is being good and not removing choice from them. (I believe we are individual beings, and created to have significant choices, and that God does not remove that from us.) So yes, I see this life as a test, and not an easy (as in comfortable) one, but I think it is one that anyone can pass.

In a more simple form, I would simply believe that we will be judged only for those things which God is justified in judging.

Aristoddler wrote:

If god has truly created a place such as this, then he surely is a god of hatred and malice, and not the god of love and forgiveness that the bible tells us he is.

Hi Aristoddler! I still deal with this one... And I've been dealing with it for a long time now. I've come to the issue with your same sentiments many times, so I in no way want to diminish your questioning. One thing I often remember is how little the Bible actually teaches about hell. Surprised As you can see above, I don't do away with the idea, nor do I think we ought to, but I also don't shove God in the box of current Western Christian paradigms. I expect that when the whole scheme of things is better understood, that hell (whatever that is for any given person) is what they have choosen, and not what God would have choosen for them.

Could it be that some people might choose to refuse submission at any cost? For such people the choices would seem to be (to me of course)-
A) Send them away from Heaven and God's law (hell)
B) To cause them to cease to exist (and maybe this could be... hell is someplaces called the "second death")
C) To force them into submission (not good IMO)
D) Allow them free reign to cause pain and chaos in the midst of Heaven (not good either)(Thanks dpmartin for bringing up this point...)

Whew! Thats a lot of theology for a philosophy forum, I hope I'm not putting anyone off! I'm trying just to share how I'm personally dealing with the issue right now, but it's a tough topic for sure!
dpmartin

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:45 pm
@Israelite007,
NeitherExtreme

Quote:
"To be honest, I personally still don't feel like I have very strong convictions about "how God will judge", so the best I can do is let you in on what I'm thinking on the subject at the moment... (Warning: To I'm going to have to get a bit theological...) At the heart of God's "law" is to not place oneself at the center of their own universe. I think it really is the traight behind all of the qualities that we feel are "good". So a person being selfless and loving is God's "law" that He wants us to follow. So when a person acts out of true love, they are submitting to God's law whether they know it or not. Thus God's will is accomplished in that situation, even if the person thinks that they are acting out of their own goodness to correct God's flaws. But how does God judge such an action? Jesus taught that if a person does a "good" action because they know that they will be naturally rewarded, then that natural reward is all they will get (God isn't impressed). The "natural reward" could be recognition, self-righteous feelings, repayment, etc. If on the other hand they do it sincerely, God will reward them. So what about a sincerely good action done with no thought of God... And what about a "good" action done in defience of God... I'm stumped. I'll have to leave that for God."

It might be considered that if one is honest with one's self and others honestly seeking the truth of a matter you could be found good (or valuable) in God's eyes. And that which is a lie is cast away or is unacceptable in God's eye's. (or sight). And I think if one judges himself as good, it could be a unfortunate stumbling block (self-righteous feelings). And if one judges himself as bad/evil. That would take a psychologist to comment on, but basically a self destructive, or self hatered nature could develop.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 06:56 am
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
I'd say thats a rather sound argument, at least from a natural point of view (ie God doesn't acutally exist or interact). The Christian perspective would be a bit different- that people and humanity need help to some degree, and that God offers it.
That was not an argument from a "natural point of view", whatever that means anyway (and I wish you would once and for all please stop sticking that label on my ideas).

I was arguing from the standpoint that whether or not God exists there is a discrepancy between God's wishes and the way humans invoke God to justify their actions. I assume you don't condone all the cruel things that have been done in the name of God. If not, then you must acknowledge that even from a theistic standpoint inspiration from God can be misinterpreted and misapplied in horrific ways. And if that's the case, then I don't see how God is somehow necessary for good acts done by humans. How do you reconcile that? You think God is necessary for humans to do good, and yet humans WILL do evil that they think is what God wants. Is the devil tricking them? Or is God's will simply subject to interpretation, and therefore just a rationalization behind people's actions?

Quote:
I do have a question about the Person 3. Would this person be of the mindset that if (if!) that person came to the realization, through whatever means, that God really does exist, that He is good and holy and worthy of worship, and that all His actions were 100% justified and moral, and that their own actions had not been as perfect as they thought... would they at that point submit to such a God?
Again, this person #3 is meant to be an archetype. And for the purposes of this argument, person #3 lives his life doing nothing but helping other people -- but he will NEVER embrace God, and he will NEVER come to the realization you mention. He won't try and dissuade other people from believing, because he believes in authenticity and freedom, which is the whole reason he tries to help people to begin with.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 02:28 pm
@Israelite007,
Quote:
I can't understand how a god that has created us to live on the earth that he has created solely for the purpose of us to live in, a god of love that is...would create a receptacle of punishment that would last for an infinite amount of time based on
our choices that we have made in a finite amount of time in a world that obviously has difficulty grasping the situation.

If I gave you a hundred years to live...of which the first 5 were learning to read and write, the next 10 are based on maturing to the point of making decisions for yourself based on little to no experience of the real world...then another 50 years just trying to mete out a meager existence for yourself and perhaps your family, top it off with the last 10 years of your life just trying to maintain a grasp on yourself as your mind slips away while you age to death...you're really only given about 25 years to redeem yourself according to the standards given to you that you will probably reject, since they involve a great amount of discipline and sacrifice.
I don't see how an eternity in a fiery pit of torture is fair punishment for any failures that you could make in such a short period of time.

Which brings me to my own personal opinion of what mankind has come to label as Hell:

If god has truly created a place such as this, then he surely is a god of hatred and malice, and not the god of love and forgiveness that the bible tells us he is.

Ah, but look around. To some, this life must seem like Hell, and to other perhaps it is Heaven. I think we can invent a number of such notions like heaven and hell to represent the reality of this life. Buddhist speak of "hungry ghosts" and various hell like places, all representing the potential in this life. Heaven and Hell really do bring out the dualism in so much of Christian thought.

If we do not take the tales in scripture as literal, we do not fall into so many silly errors because we can finally look at the scripture as literature, and not as if the scripture had been god himself. We might finally learn something from the scripture if we read it as we read anything else that is written.
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:46 pm
@Aedes,
Hi Aedes, thanks for the good conversation!

First, my use of the word natural was not meant to be an insult, I was just trying to distinguish points of view. I was taking a decidedly "Christian Theological" one, and felt like you were coming from another one... And from what I know, I don't think you like to be pegged as an athiest, so I was just trying to find a nuetral way of noting a difference I thought I saw. Hope that sounds fair enough... Smile

One reason why I would say we're coming from a different perspective is that I assume that you assume (alot of asuming!) that all the good that we see in the world was in fact inspired by humanity. I wouldn't believe that all of it did, so that's a little different starting point, which IMO made a difference.

I intentially wrote that (theologically speaking) people need God's help "to some degree." Christian belief would range anywhere from saying that apart from a belief in God every action is evil, to just saying that people will best reach their full potential with God's help and inspiration. Thats a pretty wide spectrum, and to be honest, I don't really feel like trying to pin down exactly where I fall on it. (If I wanted endless debate of that sort, I'd join a theology forum!) I will say I don't see myself on either extreme of that spectrum though...

I do believe that God's will is subject to interpretation, as is everything else we experience, but that our chosen interpretation does not change what God's will really is/was, just as our interpretation doesn't change any other part of reality. Personally, I think it's in people's best interest to do their best to understand God's will (or reality in general) as it really is, and live according to that understanding. That's obviously a judgment call on my own part...

Taling about the Bible: I don't think that it should be a rationalization to defend my actions, but that it should be a judge by which I choose my actions. Example: If someone wrongs me, and I want to hate them and get even, but I choose to forgive them because that is what the Bible clearly teaches I should do, I am not defending my actions through the Bible. I am choosing my actions based on my understanding of the Bible. There are also parts of the Bible which I could use out of context to justify my "getting even", but I know (subjectively of course) that that would be wrong. So certainly my (or anyones) interpretation is to some degree subjective, so it can become a (difficult) test of character that forces me judge my own motivations behind what I choose to believe.

And out of curriosity... What if (for the sake of the discussion), Person 3 died, and found that they are now confronted with the situation I described in the afterlife? (but are still able to choose)
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:22 pm
@Israelite007,
Quote:
I do believe that God's will is subject to interpretation, as is everything else we experience, but that our chosen interpretation does not change what God's will really is/was, just as our interpretation doesn't change any other part of reality. Personally, I think it's in people's best interest to do their best to understand God's will (or reality in general) as it really is, and live according to that understanding. That's obviously a judgment call on my own part...

How can we know God's will? Is it possible to know god's motivations?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:30 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
First, my use of the word natural was not meant to be an insult, I was just trying to distinguish points of view. I was taking a decidedly "Christian Theological" one, and felt like you were coming from another one... And from what I know, I don't think you like to be pegged as an athiest, so I was just trying to find a nuetral way of noting a difference I thought I saw. Hope that sounds fair enough...
I understand what you mean. I'm hearkening back to our evolution discussion, and I still feel like you have this conviction that there is a faith-based naturalistic bias out there, and I see you use it as a label from time to time. I don't have a problem with being labelled an atheist so long as that label doesn't carry a value judgement with it (as it often does). But my points of view in this thread, and the propositions I've offered, really only exclude one viewpoint, which is blind faith that lacks any self-doubt. You can be a theist and still share the arguments I've offered.

Quote:
One reason why I would say we're coming from a different perspective is that I assume that you assume (alot of asuming!) that all the good that we see in the world was in fact inspired by humanity. I wouldn't believe that all of it did, so that's a little different starting point, which IMO made a difference.
I don't ever anywhere at any time say that good is inspired by humanity. I know, it's just one word, but this is a critical difference. The key point is that good acts done by humans, in all cases, are done by humans.

A human can be inspired by God to do a good act even if God doesn't exist. All it takes is belief. Just as a human can be inspired by God to blow up a bus full of children if that human thinks it's what God wants.

So inspiration by God, at least as offered or explained by the humans who use that justification, does not in any way predict whether an action will be good or not. So in the end all we know is that humans do good and bad things, and that humans can rationalize things many ways. And if we have free will, then it stands to reason that a good act is a human decision.

It so happens that empathy is one of the most innate instincts in all mammals and birds. And doing something empathic is something that nearly everyone on earth would regard as good. On one trip to Africa I saw a troop of wild baboons that had adopted and raised three orphan red vervet monkeys. Was that inspired by God? Or is it innate?

Quote:
our chosen interpretation does not change what God's will really is/was
But if you have no access to what God's will really is/was... then how do you know if an impulse you have is inspired by God or not?

Quote:
Example: If someone wrongs me, and I want to hate them and get even, but I choose to forgive them because that is what the Bible clearly teaches I should do
Or you could just forgive them because you feel sympathetic.

Quote:
so it can become a (difficult) test of character that forces me judge my own motivations behind what I choose to believe.
The difficult test of character is not whether or not you abide by the Bible. It's whether you're selfless when it would be easier to be selfish, and whether you're kind when it would be easier to be irate. It doesn't matter what the Bible says about it -- because that would be true even if the Bible were silent on this subject.

Quote:
And out of curriosity... What if (for the sake of the discussion), Person 3 died, and found that they are now confronted with the situation I described in the afterlife? (but are still able to choose)
Doesn't that miss the entire point of my question? The point is that these people are all alive and acting in a certain way.
NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 05:35 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
But my points of view in this thread, and the propositions I've offered, really only exclude one viewpoint, which is blind faith that lacks any self-doubt.

If I've portrayed myself to be without self-doubt, then I've don a poor job!

Aedes wrote:

Or you could just forgive them because you feel sympathetic.

Lets just assume I don't feel very sympathetic in the situation... Then I hope what I said makes more sense.

Aedes wrote:
The difficult test of character is not whether or not you abide by the Bible. It's whether you're selfless when it would be easier to be selfish, and whether you're kind when it would be easier to be irate. It doesn't matter what the Bible says about it -- because that would be true even if the Bible were silent on this subject.

I generally agree with that.

Aedes wrote:

Doesn't that miss the entire point of my question?

Ok. I'll let the 3 people thing drop if you will. Smile

As far as the "Naturlism" issue... I really was just trying to define the discussion. As far as my other use of the word, it would mean something like this:

4.Philosophy. a.the view of the world that takes account only of natural elements and forces, excluding the supernatural or spiritual. b.the belief that all phenomena are covered by laws of science and that all teleological explanations are therefore without value. 5.Theology. a.the doctrine that all religious truth is derived from a study of natural processes and not from revelation. b.the doctrine that natural religion is sufficient for salvation.

I've felt like those, in some ways at least, are a decent description of how I've experienced your world view... If you don't feel like they do justice, I'll try to find a better way to talk about it. Surprised

Peace,
Luke
Aedes

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:27 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
If I've portrayed myself to be without self-doubt, then I've don a poor job!
That wasn't an accusation. As you can see from your own responses to me, you've found some plausibility in my point of view, and I'd bet you could imagine a religious person who would mirror what I've said. Our points of view are not opposite here.

Quote:
Lets just assume I don't feel very sympathetic in the situation... Then I hope what I said makes more sense.
So you're crediting God with inspiring you to offer a token of begrudging, unsympathetic forgiveness? That doesn't strike me as very sincere. Would you also say that every time you're about to kill someone in cold blood it's your inspiration from God that stops you? Or do you recoil at the idea of ever doing that to begin with, God or not? I mean do you really think you'd be killing and stealing were it not for God? How many crimes were you about to commit that belief in God prevented?

Quote:
4.Philosophy. a.the view of the world that takes account only of natural elements and forces, excluding the supernatural or spiritual. b.the belief that all phenomena are covered by laws of science and that all teleological explanations are therefore without value.
You assume that natural and supernatural are the only ways of describing things, and you assume that there is something unnatural about spirituality. You assume that one who accepts the great epistemological impact of scientific inquiry would outright reject the possibility of discussing things that are moral, spiritual, or meaningful. You reject the possibility that a phenomenon can be understood at BOTH a natural and "supernatural" level if one is open minded enough. You're painting a black and white picture here with which I simply cannot agree.

Quote:
5.Theology. a.the doctrine that all religious truth is derived from a study of natural processes and not from revelation. b.the doctrine that natural religion is sufficient for salvation.
If there is some church I'm unaware of that describes itself as naturalists by this definition, then NOTHING I say should be juxtaposed to it. Besides, it's completely oxymoronic to derive religious truth from "the study of natural processes", because natural processes simply are what they are.

Quote:
I've felt like those, in some ways at least, are a decent description of how I've experienced your world view... If you don't feel like they do justice, I'll try to find a better way to talk about it.
Honestly Luke, I enjoy talking to you very much, but when you write this stuff I feel like you've never read a single word of mine.

Paul
NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 10:23 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

So you're crediting God with inspiring you to offer a token of begrudging, unsympathetic forgiveness? That doesn't strike me as very sincere.
Paul

No. I'm crediting God with inspiring me to choose to forgive even if I feel (however strongly) like doing the exact oposite. I then choose to act and think in accordance with the forgiveness I've choosen. Later, hopefully my emotions will line up with my choosen direction, which will even further increase my ability to act out of that forgiveness. That's sincere forgiveness to me...

Aedes wrote:

Would you also say that every time you're about to kill someone in cold blood it's your inspiration from God that stops you? Or do you recoil at the idea of ever doing that to begin with, God or not? I mean do you really think you'd be killing and stealing were it not for God? How many crimes were you about to commit that belief in God prevented?
Paul

Thankfully I was raised in an envirionment that instilled in me the value of not murdering, and I'm not often tempted by it. There are cultures and people who don't have that benefit. So if I don't face that particular struggle often, I should at least partially thank my upbringing. At the same time, I have seen enough of myself to fully believe that I am capable of horrendous things, and that without a good external moral code, I would be sad shape, and I wouldn't put murder past me.

Aedes wrote:

You assume that natural and supernatural are the only ways of describing things, and you assume that there is something unnatural about spirituality. You assume that one who accepts the great epistemological impact of scientific inquiry would outright reject the possibility of discussing things that are moral, spiritual, or meaningful. You reject the possibility that a phenomenon can be understood at BOTH a natural and "supernatural" level if one is open minded enough. You're painting a black and white picture here with which I simply cannot agree.

To me it feels like you're painting a black and white picture of me as well... There are some rather polemic aspects in those statements that I don't feel describe me well at all. I take no offence, though! I think that this struggle is the nature of conversation between differing world views.

But, yes, I do assume that there can be something unnatural (nonmaterial?) about some parts of what I would call spirituality. I think you would asssume the oppostie? And yes, I do assume that there are things that can not be understood (or explained, experienced, etc.) solely from a natural (or material) perspective, because they don't have their origin in the natural (or material). I think you would assume the oppoite? If you do (and you are perfectly allowed to!), then we have a basic difference. How would you describe that? I know I don't like being labled, and I assume you don't either, but I think that communication kind of necessitates them to some degree or another. Hopefully we can do that without offending each other though. Smile I think I've been insensitive... I've been pragmaticly using the word, even though you have noted your dislike my use of the word natural(ism). I'm sorry, and I hope we can move past that. Surprised

For what it's worth, the definitions I gave weren't mine, they were from websters.com, and I don't (didn't) assume that every part of them described your views. I just felt like my experience of your world view would have fallen some where in there, so it has been the closest word I know of to describe some of our differences. Do you know of another word or phrase? I'm not stuck to the word itself!
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 01:10 pm
@Israelite007,
I don't assume the things you attribute to me, and I wonder if it's worth my effort to keep on rejecting this characterization again and again.

Quote:
I do assume that there can be something unnatural (nonmaterial?) about some parts of what I would call spirituality. I think you would asssume the oppostie?
I believe that the aggregate phenomenon of an experience, including spiritual experiences, are non-material. Even if they're caused in the end by material things, the experience itself is non-material. So I think that there are non-material things that ARE natural. I also think that it's natural for humans to interpret various experiences in varying ways, and the material psychologic underpinnings are incidental and non-informative. So I am NOT assuming the opposite of you here -- nor am I embracing your point of view. I just see it a different way.

Quote:
And yes, I do assume that there are things that can not be understood (or explained, experienced, etc.) solely from a natural (or material) perspective, because they don't have their origin in the natural (or material). I think you would assume the oppoite?
As above, I believe that the natural / scientific explanation for many things is insufficient to truly characterize what they are and what they mean. So I also assume that some things cannot be understood solely from a scientific perspective. To attribute love to serotonin and norepinephrine and dopamine, and to show functional MRI and PET scans of people in love, does not explain what love is. The material aspect is one aspect of it. But there is an intangible element to it too, that easily deflects penetration by science.

I am a big believer in a scientific understanding of things. I don't in any way think science can explain EVERYTHING. But I also don't think that the things exempt from science are supernatural or unnatural or miraculous. So you and I are not opposites here, because we're not even having the same conversation.
NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:04 pm
@Aedes,
Thanks for the honest feedback Aedes. It is difficult to try to describe another person's point of view, since we can never actually be the other person!

Aedes wrote:

I am a big believer in a scientific understanding of things. I don't in any way think science can explain EVERYTHING. But I also don't think that the things exempt from science are supernatural or unnatural or miraculous.

Is there a label or short way of describing this view point that would feel appropriate to you? If not, I guess that's ok.

Aedes wrote:

So you and I are not opposites here, because we're not even having the same conversation.

Agreed! I think that's inevitable when different (not opposite) world veiws interact on a subject that involves some of their differing pressupositions... So I think we're on the right track by trying to acknowledge our individual perspectives rather than just our conclusions. Smile
Aedes

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 10:30 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
Is there a label or short way of describing this view point that would feel appropriate to you?
I don't identify this with any specific movement, so I don't have one in mind. It's just how I see things, based on a lot of experience and consideration. In the end I think I have great sympathies for many forms of thought, including both the intellectual thought of pure science AND the extreme self-doubt of postmodernism. But I work with people when they're under great stress, and it would take brazen arrogance on my part to reject the things important to them as untrue. It's not that I think their God that they pray to is literally causal, but does it really matter? There is a lot of relativism in human psychology, and frankly I care more about humans than I do about ultimate truths.

Quote:
Agreed! I think that's inevitable when different (not opposite) world veiws interact on a subject that involves some of their differing pressupositions... So I think we're on the right track by trying to acknowledge our individual perspectives rather than just our conclusions. Smile
Well said. And we'll stay on the right track if we avoid assumptions and we make the effort to talk things through.
0 Replies