The Most Important Question of our Age?

paulhanke

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But we also have to think: 'what sort of religious dogma contradicts science'? The only examples I can think of are also examples of misunderstood religious teaching. So, the statement also reinforces the idea that religion and science operate on different levels, and that neither should encroach on the other's territory.

I strongly disagree ... science and the unrelenting change it brings with it can easily overwhelm us and can easily be abused (witness the eugenics movement) ... in such a world, is a mythology/ideology that does not help us to embrace the pace of change and manage the ethical application of science worth hanging onto?

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure how his advice would lead to the aforementioned ethical vacuum.

... if I am reading your paraphrasing right, he is saying to simply favor science over doctrine when the two conflict; this is in contrast to actively undertaking an effort to develop a new doctrine in order to provide for the ethical application of the science that is in conflict with an outdated doctrine ... the former approach leads to an ethical vacuum; the latter does not ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
And I find myself back to Buddhism. Change is the only constant, after all. Maybe it depends on what you think it is to thrive in the world.

... but I think the change referred to in Buddhist philosophy is personal change - that is, Buddhist philosophy teaches one how to change and grow (thrive) in a static world ... the implication being that in today's ever-changing world Buddhist philosophy can only uplift us half way ...
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:25 am
@paulhanke,
DT and Paul Hanke,

Thank you for that interesting discussion on Buddhism - but it's rather like any religion in the sense that, if only everyone would listen it'd be the answer to our prayers. But on what basis would people, nation states and corporations be required to incorporate a Buddhist philosophy?

It has no claim on the individual, state or on business. It's truth claims are as groundless and conventional as any other religion. Science on the other hand has methodological legitimacy and validity as a bases upon which to make these claims.

Paul, you talk about an ethical vaccuum, but the answer to that is to apply science for scientifically concieved reasons - to the end of securing the continued existence of humankind. All ethical questions raised in this context are subject to determinate resolution.

iconoclast.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
Paul, you talk about an ethical vaccuum, but the answer to that is to apply science for scientifically concieved reasons - to the end of securing the continued existence of humankind.

... wasn't that the driving force behind the eugenics policies of the Third Reich? ... now you could say that these policies were not the result of science per se, but rather the result of the people who wielded that science, and I would totally agree with you because science is ethically neutral ... to say you are going to apply science "to the end of securing the continued existence of humankind" is not a scientific statement - it's an ethical statement ... and taken at face value it can be a rather horrifying ethics: if it can be scientifically proven that the continued existence of humankind can be maximized by killing off half the world's population and consolidating the rest into a sanitized concrete-and-steel jungle where the only form of reproduction allowed is via controlled genetic engineering, is that what we should do? :shocked:
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:12 am
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
...to the end of securing the continued existence of humankind...
Can you think of scenarios that would have supremacy over "the continued existence of humankind"?

I could.

If by whatever catastrophy all of humanity is relegated to indeterminate suffering, then its continued existence is not the highest of all ends.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@Aedes,
Quote:
To be blunt, I'm saying that there is nothing in reality that requires there to be a God to explain it, and no evidence whatsoever of His existence.I'm saying that, in face of science, religion exists as a sceptical doubt. It's a statement about the relative epistemological weight of religious truth claims and scientific truth claims. I mean that the existence of God is a sceptical doubt of a scientific account of reality, that nonetheless, is given undue prommenance in society.

I agree that nothing in reality requires the existence of God. And, to an extent, there is no evidence of God, no scientific evidence.

But the mistake I think you are making is to take religion as purely logos. You suggest that belief in God and the scientific account of reality are in some way opposed, when they are not.

I just do not see any reason to set religion and science up as opposing interests. Many religious people do this, and I think it is a mistake on their part.

To bring this full circle, science is concerned with the pragmatic, while religion is concerned with the individual psychological context of human life. For example, if we recognize some problem, like global warming, a pragmatic issue, we turn to science to solve the problem. One is visceral the other rational, and they each have their place.

Quote:
And this is the 'legitimate authority' for the exercise of political power in the UK. But you would rather not acknowledge the problem. You say:

I do acknowledge a problem - the confusion of imposing logos onto mythos. They should be seperate and complementary, but never taken out of context.

In this way, discussion of God becomes an expression of a basic human experience that can be expressed in innumerable ways. Meanwhile, science and reason allow us to deal with the pragmatic problems that confront us humans.

An 'out here' problem is one best left to reason. An 'in here' problem is one best left to mythos - unless that 'in here' problem is creating an 'out here' problem, in which case, we need to bring in the reason.

Quote:
But that's not the problem. We use science - while ignoring scientific knowledge as a rule for the conduct of our affairs.

Okay, and I'm saying that we should use scientific knowledge as a rule for conducting our affairs.

Quote:
You go on to cite the Dalai Lama and Islam in the middle ages, but the former is a political appointee of an occupying communist-athiest state, and science in the middle ages was hardly what we'd call science, is it?

The 14th Dalai Lama was selected in the traditional manner, by the Lamas, prior to the Communist invasion - an invasion which His Holiness fled. He now lives in exile in India. He is not an appointee of the Chinese government.

Science has evolved as much as religion. Baconian science isn't modern science, either.

Quote:

You infer I misunderstand religion, but I've studied this for years. I know what I'm talking about and you can't just dismiss this.

So you recognize the difference between mythos and logos, and their roles in human life?

Quote:
In 1233 the Church of Rome established the Inquisition and punished intellectuals as heretics. In 1632 they imprisoned Galileo and forced him to recant the conclusion that the earth orbits the sun. In 1859 Darwin had delayed the publication of 'Origin' twenty years for fear of the religious repercussions that continue to this day. And furthermore, for the protection of religious ideas we've got secular societies that allow people to believe whatever they like - and people do.

Yes, terrible shame. Many people, many religious people, have misunderstood and abused their faith tradition. It's a shame.

Quote:
You're right, but who are you speaking for? You're not speaking for Christianity or Islam that both indoctrinate children with a requirement of faith in scientifically groundless, deeply emotive ideas before the age at which they're ale to think critically. You're not speaking for a Catholic Church that's taken agen condoms and refuses to budge in face of aids and overpopualtion, or of an Umma that sends out suicide bombers to blow up its religiously defined enemies - with dreams of 72 virgins waiting on them hand, foot and finger in the afterlife.

I'm speaking for the benefit everyone. I am speaking directly to the above mentioned, because what you describe are all perversions of faith tradition. By the way, what you mention in the above quote only covers a portion of modern religion. There is a brighter side. But you know that - as you say, you've studied the subject for years.

Quote:
Faith is a perversion of the normal course of human reason for poltical ends - and a betrayal of who we are on the most fundamental level. We are the thinking animal - and we'd better start thinking about where we're going as a species. Science is not just a tool - but knowledge we need to adapt to, not follow down the dark path of religious insanity, but strive toward the light of science and grow.

When faith attempts to pervert reason, that faith is a perversion of faith tradition.

Fundamentally, we are not rational animals. Aristotle gave us a beautiful take on humanity, but an incorrect assessment of who we are, fundamentally - which is an irrational, impulsive creature.

I fully support the pursuit of science. But this constant insistence that science and religion are necessarily opposed is simply false. Their opposition requires someone to either misunderstand the role of mythos or misunderstand the role of logos.

Quote:
I strongly disagree ... science and the unrelenting change it brings with it can easily overwhelm us and can easily be abused (witness the eugenics movement) ... in such a world, is a mythology/ideology that does not help us to embrace the pace of change and manage the ethical application of science worth hanging onto?

Those mythologies and ideologies which do not help us embrace science are, at the very least, deficient. Those mythologies and ideologies which impede our ability to pursue and employ science are downright dangerous.

Quote:
... if I am reading your paraphrasing right, he is saying to simply favor science over doctrine when the two conflict; this is in contrast to actively undertaking an effort to develop a new doctrine in order to provide for the ethical application of the science that is in conflict with an outdated doctrine ... the former approach leads to an ethical vacuum; the latter does not ...

Right, and what I'm trying to suggest is that science and religion should never be contradictory - and if they are thought to be, one is out of place. In other words, if the doctrine is interpreted in such a way that makes it appear to contradict science, the doctrine has been misunderstood. If there is no way to understand the doctrine other than as being opposed to science (if the doctrine is logos) then it's a bad mythos and should not be used.

That make any more sense?

Quote:
... but I think the change referred to in Buddhist philosophy is personal change - that is, Buddhist philosophy teaches one how to change and grow (thrive) in a static world ... the implication being that in today's ever-changing world Buddhist philosophy can only uplift us half way ...

You may be right about the limitations of Buddhism in the modern world. I really do not know enough to say one way or the other.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
paulhanke,

Eugenics - yeah, but it wasn't just the third reich was it? The eugenics movement had thousands of sub-normal people in the US forcibly sterilized, and had prohibitions against interracial marriage passed into state law.

That was in an era of religiously intolerant mono-cultural societies, before Watson and Crick, and longer still before the human genome project, but you're right that these people weilded a half baked pseudo-science in confirmation of thier own prejudices - a value or ethic of sorts, though wholly unethical.

I agree that science is ethically neutral, and that any application of science is therefore ethically directed, and so the question is, what's ethically objective? Impossible we cry - because we're philosophers and have our own prejudices about such things - but the continued existence of humankind comes as close to ethical objectivity as possible.

Existence is non-contingent, in that everything else is dependent upon our existence in order to have an ethical dimension - and would continue to have an ethical dimension, even while applying science for scientifically concieved reasons - to the end of securing the continued existence of humankind.

You ask:
Quote:
if it can be scientifically proven that the continued existence of humankind can be maximized by killing off half the world's population and consolidating the rest into a sanitized concrete-and-steel jungle where the only form of reproduction allowed is via controlled genetic engineering, is that what we should do?

But note, you use the term maximizing - which is not at all what I suggest. That is a value in itself - almost eugenic in character, and one I suspect derives from primitive religious thinking - it's absolutism, in the case of the eugenics movement, the superlative was a wholly hallucinatory concept of racial purity, in your case maximization.

I talk only about securing the prospects of the species in day to day political and economic decisions, and truly cannot concieve of circumstances in which the only means of securing the continued existence of humankind would be to herd half the population into concrete bunkers and kill the half left outside.

It's somehwat alarmist and ridiculous Paul, to propose consequences for which you can present no realistic scenario - and then demand that I justify such a policy.

iconoclast.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:51 pm
@iconoclast,
Aedes,

Again, like Paul you propose consequences without a real world scenario - but I wonder of we might try, not defeating this concept before we've considered it, but considering it and see if it defeats itself.

iconoclast.
Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:00 pm
@iconoclast,
Canada had a Eugenics policy as well all the way up until '72 The Canadian Encyclopedia

Why is there such fear about humanity disappearing? I have always assumed it would happen by one means or another. I would find it rather disturbing if man as we know it is still around in 20 million years. What good are we? We all have a little Ozymandias in us I think, to believe in our permanence. There is no such thing as permenence in this universe as far as we have seen it, so why shoud we believe it is there? Induction? Everything could be gone tommorow but tommorow never comes. There is no reason to dread that which we cannot even know, it is absurd! Why dread death instead of enjoying life? What a terriblly foolish mindset.
0 Replies

iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:25 pm
@paulhanke,
Didymos Thomas,

I hate this - having to trample on your fond ideas in order to make my point. I've wondered at times whether it's worth it - if it's not so dis-spirting an exercise it's better that we die with our illusions intact than live without them. But then I remember that it's not me, and not science, but religion that raised the emotional expectations of man to the sky and beyond - that promised heaven for political allegiance and gave man hell on earth.

I agree that there's something in man that yearns to connect with something beyond, to belong to something greater, some order of things that makes it all makes sense, for I recognize it in science and the continued existence of humankind. This is the way and the light, if you want to put it in those terms, in employing our reason to the sane and just purpose of securing our welfare and survival as a species.

But my argument is not about the existence, or non-existence of God. It's about the role of religion in the development of political and economic forms that now pose a serious threat to the continued existence of humankind.

You agree that:
Quote:
mythologies and ideologies which do not help us embrace science are, at the very least, deficient. Those mythologies and ideologies which impede our ability to pursue and employ science are downright dangerous.

But the problem is that religion pre-dates science, and poltical forms with economic interests built upon religious authority that pre-date science stand as obstacles because science re-interprets the legitimate ends and purposes of government.

For example, it won't seem so ridiculously idealistic in future to say that humankind is a single species occupying a single planetary environment - either because we'll have accepted the fact and adapted to it, or because we'll be extinct.

So here, where the Dalai Lama says; where religion and science conflict, go with the science, that would be in situations occuring within the context of societies with political and economic dynamics that are fundamentally religious in character. No. Society must be fundamentally scientific in character, and tolerate religion unless there is a conflict.

iconoclast.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:38 pm
@iconoclast,
Zetetic11235,

Why have speed limits when people like to drive fast? They're going to die anyway - so what does it matter? What a terribly foolish mindset.

iconoclast.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:38 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
... and would continue to have an ethical dimension, even while applying science for scientifically concieved reasons ...

... if by this you mean that scientifically conceived options should be used to inform the ethical dimension, then I'm with ya Wink

iconoclast wrote:
But note, you use the term maximizing - which is not at all what I suggest.

... and the trap is sprung! Smile ... I deliberately used the term "maximized" to offer you the opportunity to make an ethical choice to disregard a scientifically conceived option! ...

iconoclast wrote:
It's somehwat alarmist and ridiculous Paul, to propose consequences for which you can present no realistic scenario - and then demand that I justify such a policy.

... 'twas but a thought experiment designed to test the boundary conditions of your proposed ethical method ... and the phrase "thought experiment" was coined by one of the greatest scientific minds of our time Wink ...
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
@paulhanke,
Paul,

Well thank you for that - I shall be on the lookout for landmines as I negotiate your posts in future. I think this passage from my reply to Didymos Thomas illustrates the approach I'm advocating, but it's a very subtle point i'm glad you raised.

Quote:
But the problem is that religion pre-dates science, and poltical forms with economic interests built upon religious authority that pre-date science stand as obstacles because science re-interprets the legitimate ends and purposes of government. So here, where the Dalai Lama says; where religion and science conflict, go with the science, that would be in situations occuring within the context of societies with political and economic dynamics that are fundamentally religious in character. No. Society must be fundamentally scientific in character, and tolerate religion unless there is a conflict.

It's in the context of a sceintifically oriented society that ethical questions raised are subject to determinate resolution.

iconoclast.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
If there is no way to understand the doctrine other than as being opposed to science (if the doctrine is logos) then it's a bad mythos and should not be used.

That make any more sense?

... I think maybe our disconnect here (if there really is one) is that you regard mythos as filling the knowledge gaps that aren't (can't be?) filled by logos, whereas I regard all knowledge as having both a mythos component and a logos component ... is that an accurate assessment?
paulhanke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
... I shall be on the lookout for landmines as I negotiate your posts in future ...

... my apologies for that - I usually don't resort to such tactics ... for that matter, I usually steer clear of conversations involving religion ... blame it on the drugs (surgery two days ago - perfectly legal!!! Wink) ...
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:22 pm
@paulhanke,
Quote:
I hate this - having to trample on your fond ideas in order to make my point. I've wondered at times whether it's worth it - if it's not so dis-spirting an exercise it's better that we die with our illusions intact than live without them.

Heh, well I do not mind telling you that I am not distressed by your words.

Quote:
But then I remember that it's not me, and not science, but religion that raised the emotional expectations of man to the sky and beyond - that promised heaven for political allegiance and gave man hell on earth.

Hey, what do you know? More negative stereotyping. Once again, you make the old mistake - hasty generalization. You who so strongly advocates reason and science should know better than to fall into such a logical fallacy.

Quote:
I agree that there's something in man that yearns to connect with something beyond, to belong to something greater, some order of things that makes it all makes sense, for I recognize it in science and the continued existence of humankind. This is the way and the light, if you want to put it in those terms, in employing our reason to the sane and just purpose of securing our welfare and survival as a species.

I agree.

Quote:
But my argument is not about the existence, or non-existence of God. It's about the role of religion in the development of political and economic forms that now pose a serious threat to the continued existence of humankind.

That's not the argument you have presented thus far. So far you have said that religion necessarily causes various negative results. This argument of yours is deficient because, while it is true that religion has produced many negative results, it is not true that these negative results are the necessary or only output of religious activity.

When, in the name of religion, people criticize science, we stand together against those critics.

Quote:
But the problem is that religion pre-dates science, and poltical forms with economic interests built upon religious authority that pre-date science stand as obstacles because science re-interprets the legitimate ends and purposes of government.

Not all religion predates science.

In any case, science, economics and politics are pragmatic concerns, and therefore should not be left to mythos. Mythos is simply not equipped to deal with these sorts of issues - for example, mythos cannot determine the most pragmatic economic policy. To use mythos as a way to establish economic truth would be silly and a clear misuse of mythos.
What mythos can do for economics, politics, ect, is help humans cultivate compassion, which just might better direct our economic and political ambitions. Just look at our politicians - their ambition drives them to ignore the real problems and real solutions. Perhaps if they were more compassionate, they would not be so selfish and would be more likely to honestly and responsibly handle the various problems presented.

Quote:
For example, it won't seem so ridiculously idealistic in future to say that humankind is a single species occupying a single planetary environment - either because we'll have accepted the fact and adapted to it, or because we'll be extinct.

That statement isn't ridiculous today, either. We are a single species inhabiting a single planet.

Quote:
So here, where the Dalai Lama says; where religion and science conflict, go with the science, that would be in situations occuring within the context of societies with political and economic dynamics that are fundamentally religious in character.

Not necessarily fundamentally religious in character. As long as religion is involved in the dynamic, there is the possibility for religion to be erroneously set up as opposed to science, or vice versa.

Quote:
No. Society must be fundamentally scientific in character, and tolerate religion unless there is a conflict.

And what happens in the event of a conflict - do we stop tolerating religion? Persecute the religious?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'society must be fundamentally scientific in nature'. As I've said, pragmatic concerns should be handled with pragmatic tools - reason and science. But humans, by our very nature, do have needs beyond the scope of science and reason. Therefore, society will have a spiritual aspect unless human nature changes in a fundamental way.

I also think it is worth stating - throwing around poorly considered criticisms of religion has, in the past, tended to push the extremists to an even more extreme world view. Religion, and science, are always in need of critical examination, but when we do criticize, we should be aware that our criticisms can exacerbate the problems that plague us. The hasty generalization is one sure fire way to cultivate greater strife.

Quote:
... I think maybe our disconnect here (if there really is one) is that you regard mythos as filling the knowledge gaps that aren't (can't be?) filled by logos, whereas I regard all knowledge as having both a mythos component and a logos component ... is that an accurate assessment?

I see mythos and logos as being different sorts of knowledge, but complimentary. For example, knowledge of the origin of life. Logos will tell us how, mythos will give it meaning and direction.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

It's clear to me DT - reading your reply - that you've begun with the first paragraph of my post - and commented critically on it before moving on to the next paragraph. You haven't read the whole thing through, thought about it, and then commented on each paragraph. You're not considering the argument at all - I think, because your not open to being swayed from your viewpoint.

Quote:
More negative stereotyping.

That's right. But it's not wholly undeserved, is it? I mean, this distinction you make between mythos and logos isn't the way things actually are. I'm critsizing how things are - and you keep countering with the way things should be. But as I said earlier:

Quote:
You're not speaking for Christianity or Islam that both indoctrinate children with a requirement of faith in scientifically groundless, deeply emotive ideas before the age at which they're ale to think critically. You're not speaking for a Catholic Church that's taken agen condoms and refuses to budge in face of aids and overpopualtion, or of an Umma that sends out suicide bombers to blow up its religiously defined enemies - with dreams of 72 virgins waiting on them hand, foot and finger in the afterlife.

This is the way things are DT - and it's no good you saying:

Quote:
When faith attempts to pervert reason, that faith is a perversion of faith tradition.

I think you have to face the fact that faith doesn't lend itself to a reasoned distinction between mythos and logos, for it is unreasonable - (not to hope that God exists, which is perfectly rational) but to bend reason to believe what one cannot know. And it's not as if faith is intrinsic to that spiritual sense of man - but a silencing of the enquiring mind as a requirement of allegience to a sepratist sect - in denial of the fact that we are a single species inhabiting a single planetary environment.

Face the facts DT - and this:

Quote:
throwing around poorly considered criticisms of religion

is just b*llocks. It's low tactics and should be beneath you.

iconoclast.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:29 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I see mythos and logos as being different sorts of knowledge, but complimentary. For example, knowledge of the origin of life. Logos will tell us how, mythos will give it meaning and direction.

... sounds like we're on the same page at this point ... let's probe a little deeper ... let's assume that a doctrine contains a lump of "bad" mythos that tells us both the "how" and the "meaning and direction" of some element of the world ... but we then we stumble across a scientific "how" that contradicts the mythic "how" of this doctrine ... so we toss out the "bad" mythos (both the flawed "how" and it's intertwined "meaning and direction"), leaving us with a just a scientific "how" (sans meaning and direction) ... all I'm suggesting is to add an extra step to this process ... after we throw out the "bad" mythos, we need to undertake an effort to create some new mythos in order to give this novel (to us) "how" some "meaning and direction" ...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:01 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
you propose consequences without a real world scenario
Well, it happens at an individual level every day -- there are scenarios in which saving a human life is not worth the price. I can give an example from just a couple days ago. Can that not be extrapolated to all of human life?

And when the entire history of life on this planet has been filled with extinctions and evolutions, why should we think that the preservation of humanity should be the highest of all priorities? It certainly isn't natural to attempt such a thing.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:17 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes,

Quote:
...there are scenarios in which saving a human life is not worth the price. I can give an example from just a couple days ago. Can that not be extrapolated to all of human life?

I think not. But on what basis? That humankind is more than just a number of human beings. But what more? I find that difficult to identify - but sense a convergence with this question and my arguments with Didymos Thomas in which I say:

Quote:

Intellectual legacy then - and not just scientific, but cultural, artistic, spritual, romantic, architectural, mathematical, gastronomic - the whole gammut of human knowledge we share in and contribute to in our lives, and pass on to our children.

Quote:
...why should we think that the preservation of humanity should be the highest of all priorities? It certainly isn't natural to attempt such a thing.

Not natural? There is no basis for comparison - no animal bar us that has had its fate in its hands. (in fact, very few who've had hands.) I think the choice here is between extinction and evolution - for by centralizing scientific knowledge to the conduct of our affirs, we don't merely survive, but evolve.

iconoclast.
Aedes

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 08:09 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
But on what basis? That humankind is more than just a number of human beings. But what more?
No, on the basis that science is perfectly capable of dictating a method for survival that makes life not worth living. Science is powerful, but it is also valueless. It cannot tell us under what conditions life is worth living.

Quote:
Not natural? There is no basis for comparison - no animal bar us that has had its fate in its hands.
Well, we WILL go extinct some day. Nothing we can do is going to prevent the sun from turning into a supernova, or a giant asteroid from crashing into the earth, or some other giant calamity.

Furthermore, it's exceptionally unlikely that anything we do or don't do will make us extinct. There are too many people in too many places. All but the most cataclysmic events will leave survivors.