How can we know what acts are due to free will and what are due to destiny?

pagan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:54 am
@Aedes,
hi aedes
Quote:
Although I'm not sure science contends that the outcome is inherently random -- what it contends is that it cannot be predicted.

yes i should have said uncertain instead of random, since random might imply no general probability function, as in chaos. Confirmation of scientific prediction at that scale is only possible over a collection of events, which implies a range of space time rather than a single event.
xris

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:34 am
@pagan,
pagan;82718 wrote:
hi aedes

yes i should have said uncertain instead of random, since random might imply no general probability function, as in chaos. Confirmation of scientific prediction at that scale is only possible over a collection of events, which implies a range of space time rather than a single event.
I can understand there is uncertainty in the molecular world but how does that imply a range of space times? Destiny when viewed from the end product can be implied, a matter of events that lead to, say, you meeting your wife.Every minute action you may take, can alter the outcome of your life but that does not imply that certain events unfold in different layers of existance,dependant on the alternatives.
pagan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:53 am
@xris,
hi xris
Quote:

I can understand there is uncertainty in the molecular world but how does that imply a range of space times
i mean that in order to confirm QM statistical prediction we have either to repeat an experimental observation over a period of time to gather the results, or many events over a range of space. Probably both (space time) since an experimental apparatus usually observes over a finite 'measurable' volume and takes a finite and 'measurable' time to do it. Basically "a range of space time" is what is necessary for all statistical observations.

Quote:
Every minute action you may take, can alter the outcome of your life
i agree but with the emphasis upon 'may'. I personally think life changing moments are rare. And i too don't personally like the multi-layer all possible outcomes type model. I feel towards rewrites.

---------- Post added 08-12-2009 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote:
I personally think life changing moments are rare.

by that i mean significant changes in the outcome of our lives. Its all a matter of degree what we consider significant.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:20 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Know yourself and you will know the answer.
xris

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 12:11 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;83176 wrote:
Know yourself and you will know the answer.
What was the question again?
I have pondered on the important decisions, in my life and the consequences it held for others.
The product of your desires and the children you love,can hinge on the most unimportant of events.My wife having a head ache one night and the grandchildren i love and adore would not exist.Is it fate, that they had to be my grandchildren? It feels like it,even if not true.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:13 pm
@xris,
xris;83278 wrote:
What was the question again?
I have pondered on the important decisions, in my life and the consequences it held for others.
The product of your desires and the children you love,can hinge on the most unimportant of events.My wife having a head ache one night and the grandchildren i love and adore would not exist.Is it fate, that they had to be my grandchildren? It feels like it,even if not true.

You are asking whether, whatever you chose to do, they would be your grandchildren. That is obviously false. If you had not chosen to do certain things, they would not have been your grandchildren. Isn't that obvious?
xris

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;83284 wrote:
You are asking whether, whatever you chose to do, they would be your grandchildren. That is obviously false. If you had not chosen to do certain things, they would not have been your grandchildren. Isn't that obvious?
What are you on? when did i say that? Of course my actions are relevant if i had not had my children ,i would not have those grandchildren.I wish you would read my posts before you jump to conclusions,you do it all the time..
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:19 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
You can not know and it is not important that you do know.
I assume you live as though you have free will and that your choices matter.
Free will and agency are subjective truth for virtually all.
0 Replies