Poor Little Scared Kitten -- Help!

roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 12:34 am
Make it three. I can't see her earlier post either.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:38 am
oops i added to the confusion by saying i agreed with Osso when i meant Margo!

I do hope all is well with the kitten but you did your best for it and may well have saved it to enable it to find its way home - fingers crossed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:47 am
I thought of you immediately when I saw the kitten, Vivien. Uh oh, fate again. Was definitely a little sad to see it go, even though adoption would probably have been out of the question.

Husband has rather severe cat allergies, but in addition to that, since he has no positive associations with cats -- see a cat, feel airways start to constrict -- and has never ever had one, he just doesn't like them. He's tried hard to keep a somewhat open mind because he knows how much I love them, but if we did eventually get one it would be from a family we knew, adopted straight from the mom. Both for reasons of temperment and health.

So this is probably the best way for it to work out, assuming the kitten has found its way home or to someone's home. Fingers crossed here, as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:36 pm
This might not be over...

A few hours ago, before E.G. came home, sozlet came up to me and said, "I hear the cat meowing again." She seemed perfectly serious, so I went out to check, and didn't see the cat but the area was a bit different than when I had seen it last... leaves on the cloth diapers (which I'd left), etc.

So maybe it'll be a feral kitty who comes to visit now and then for some food?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:46 pm
But, it wasn't there when you looked?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:50 pm
Nope. There was significant lag between when she told me and when I checked, though... it's COLD outside and we had to get dressed (we because she wouldn't hear of me going out by myself), and then she had to pee, and then I had to find my boots, and this, and that.

I opened the door right at the beginning when she said she heard the meowing, in case the kitten was like right outside our door, and it wasn't there, but that might have scared it off. She said she didn't hear meowing after that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:53 pm
hmmmm. is there still a warm, snuggly spot for it to sleep if it needs it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:55 pm
Yep, I left all of the cloth diapers and everything, which are pretty snugglable.

I don't know if the sozlet actually heard anything, though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:56 pm
Maybe wishful thinking on her part?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:59 pm
Could be. Her expression and context seemed to indicate that it was spurred by actually hearing something, but hard to know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:00 pm
Well, no reason to doubt her then, eh?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:01 pm
Get a little dry kitten food and leave it somewhere where it won't get rained on, and put out clean water in a bowl. NOT milk, could give the little thing diarrhea. Sounds like a little feral cat to me. You can have an arm's distance relationship with it. and your hubby won't get his throat clenched :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:01 pm
Well, could still be wishful thinking, like she heard something else and because she was listening for the cat thought it was the cat.

E.G. should be home for a chunk of time tomorrow, hopefully that will give us more info.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:03 pm
Thanks, Joe. Yeah, that could work out nicely. Just wish winter wasn't right around the corner... Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:28 pm
Joe has a good point about the milk. A little bit of milk is ok, bt the thing needs water too. And at this point, kitten food.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:42 pm
This kind of thing is a difficulty for me too. I adore cats, kittens, feral or regular, but am wildly allergic.
Just this week my business pal and I found this delightful cat on a property we were reconnoitering for a design project. It is clearly a house cat with humans who take care of it, at least by its rather nuzzly behavior. Well, nuzzly to her, I can't pick it up, and just scratching its head is a big mistake-o.

Gads, love at first sight again. We left it, there is a house not all that far away that must belong to it. But it rekindled my cat fervor.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 02:24 pm
Osso, I'm allergic to cats too, but I keep 'em anyhow. Actually, I'm allergic to everything under the sun, so I'm kinda fatalistic about it. If my kitty gets up and rubs my face, it will itch for a while. But my sister had a cat that really drove me wild. I had to spend half my visit on the porch and use my inhaler almost hourly...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 08:19 pm
Kitty's visiting!

E.G. confirmed more meows this a.m. Gonna buy some kitten chow tomorrow. A little regular visitor might be a really nice compromise... E.G. gets to breathe, we wimmins get to have a kitten around.

(Will of course worry about it all the dang time, but I'll take what I can get.)

Kitten's name is Kismet. Very Happy I asked sozlet what the cat's name should be, and she said "Kiss it", which came out sort of "kisset", and I said "How about 'Kismet'?" and she said YEAH!

Meanwhile, sozlet visited E.G. at work yesterday and drew an amazing family portrait on his blackboard -- Mama, Papa, sozlet, and little black cat (now Kismet.) The cat portrait was so cool. A nice little body shape, four legs, two eyes, and a belly button.

Now I have to think of a way to keep an area warmer as it starts to get seriously cold... keeping the dryer running all the time probably isn't practical... thinking...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 08:22 pm
A card board box with a few old towels and a fleece throw might be ok. I dunno how cold it gets that way, but if you have strays around, year-round, they must make do.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 08:28 pm
It gets way cold. We're in the 20's already, in the middle of the winter it gets well below zero. The cat seems to like under the house, where it must be a little warmer due to losing heat from inside. Will try the fleece throw thing.

I haven't seen any other strays, just this one.
0 Replies