There is no scientific method or epistemology

Arjen

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:11 am
@pam69ur,
Somethings that relate directly to science and where science would fall short are:

- A reason for that what science calls "big bang" happening (or even a reliable description of what actually happened).
- How is it possible that humans can reason (and not the way it functions; but how is it possible that that gets kick-started)?
- How is it possible that space and time bend to a point where it no longer follows the "laws of nature" (or how does it really function)?
- How come any moral philosophy focussing on "facts" is always itself opposite (or why does it not comply to normal logical formulae)?

These questions could be reshaped into the following "problems" (or experiments)
- How do big bangs happen?
- How does reasoning start?
- How does space and time function at the "core" of a gravity well?
- How does moral philosophy function?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 06:09 pm
@pam69ur,
Be as condescending as you like, you've jumped ahead of yourself.

You say:
Quote:
in science there is no regard for ontological differences. Therefore things don't add up.

Yet, you do not sufficiently support the notion that the scientific method needs to account for metaphysical ramblings.

How is the scientific method supposed to have any regard for ontological differences when those differences are not agreed upon? It would be, in my humble opinion as a non-scientist, terribly unscientific for the scientific method to try and account for ontological differences.

You bring up issues that are supposed to illustrate the problem. But I do not see why these are necessarily ontological problems. Unless you expect the scientific method to play little words games - hmm, are three toothpicks a pile? How about 10? How about 10,000?

I simply do not think the scientific method to be the sort of tool for metaphysical speculation. I think metaphysical speculation requires people of above average intellect who are exceedingly bored. Scientists, it seems, are preoccupied with the study of science.
0 Replies

Arjen

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 02:13 am
@pam69ur,
Didymos, between the two of us I think you are the one rambling. The thing of it is that the examples I placed are not metaphysical problems, but transcendental problems. Science envelopes the study of processes. A process is "a taking place in space and time". This "taking place" is then studied from a start point until an end point; the process is that which takes place in the middle. Seeing as no start point can be found or examined in space and time (and therefore by human percieving and reasoning..and thus science) no processes can be examined properly. Science can only "guess" (in a scientific way) about what is going on. Although I appreciate that one can study thing after they came into existence and some relative certainty can be found in this no certainty can be reached because the processes leading to the existence of these things cannot be studied. All of science is in that sense based on assumptions. Which is, as I sais, quite unscientific of science.

Contrary to what you may think of me I do not think science is useless or anything. It has its place and its values. I do, however, think people in general and scientist more so should realise its place and appreciate its delicate existence. All things humanity "knows" are based on assumptions (axioms) which cannot be proved.

Like I said, don't get me wrong: When looking for scientific answers I mostly am on the frontlines; but when discussing science as a whole I always point out its weaknesses. Without realising exactly what science is and does one misvalues the "truths" found by science.

Anyway, to clarify:
Quote:

How is the scientific method supposed to have any regard for ontological differences when those differences are not agreed upon? It would be, in my humble opinion as a non-scientist, terribly unscientific for the scientific method to try and account for ontological differences.

I think that science should not so much "have a regard" for "ontological differences which have not been proved", but that science (scientists) should not deny the fact that they cannot explain certain things. This kind of deni-all is what the church has professed allthrough the dark ages and is what has kept Europe back for more then a thousand years. Please do not repeat the mistake.

The rest of your post I will not reply to. I find the remarks a little "off"; especially for a moderator. I am not going to report the post because I think the values you have added to yourself (a.k.a. ego) have suffered enough due to my reasoning.

I am going to end this discussion with this thought:
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
~Albert Einstein
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:54 am
@pam69ur,
Quote:
Didymos, between the two of us I think you are the one rambling.

Well, gosh, I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Seeing as no start point can be found or examined in space and time (and therefore by human percieving and reasoning..and thus science) no processes can be examined properly. Science can only "guess" (in a scientific way) about what is going on.

The only thing you've established is that science cannot observe the entire process of space and time. Of course science cannot observe the big bang - it already happened and there were no cameras around. But this does not mean that we cannot study any process from beginning to end.

Even then, it does not seem fair to criticize science for not doing something it cannot do, like observe the big bang as it happens.

Quote:
Contrary to what you may think of me I do not think science is useless or anything. It has its place and its values. I do, however, think people in general and scientist more so should realise its place and appreciate its delicate existence. All things humanity "knows" are based on assumptions (axioms) which cannot be proved.

I imagine scientists are well aware of the limitations of their study.

Quote:
I think that science should not so much "have a regard" for "ontological differences which have not been proved", but that science (scientists) should not deny the fact that they cannot explain certain things. This kind of deni-all is what the church has professed allthrough the dark ages and is what has kept Europe back for more then a thousand years. Please do not repeat the mistake.

Scientists do admit that they cannot explain certain things. In fact, they do this a lot. That's one hallmark of science, the admission that no findings are absolute and that science can not explain everything, even some of the things it might attempt to explain.

Maybe you just haven't had the best science teachers coming up. It's a shame how poorly some teachers do their job.

Quote:
The rest of your post I will not reply to. I find the remarks a little "off"; especially for a moderator. I am not going to report the post because I think the values you have added to yourself (a.k.a. ego) have suffered enough due to my reasoning.

Fine with me. Report the post if you like, couldn't bother me in the least. As a moderator I try to be nice to people. But when users talk down or are generally condescending to myself, other users, or other moderators, I do not waste my time trying to be particularly nice.

So, report the post. For that matter, report this one. You'll only waste space in my inbox. So go ahead, but do not think you have caused any damage to my ego, especially at the hands of your so called reasoning.
0 Replies

Arjen

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 06:20 am
@pam69ur,
Say Didy, I am glad you are finally seeing the light and thereby agree with me that science cannot claim to know anything for sure because the beginning of the process cannot be observed. Perhaps you should have read my posts before reacting. That was my entire argument.

I do, however object to your degrading remark on my teachers. Even though I may not like them all and think some of them are not well versed in their own field I will have you knwo that my university has been around for centuries and has been a very fine one for all that time. I don;t think any university in America has been around for that long, has it? Apart from that I don't think that you really care about the truthfullness of anything you say, do you?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:48 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Somethings that relate directly to science and where science would fall short are...
These are NOT related to science. They are related to human psychological quests for meaning.

The reason for the big bang (for example) is irrelevant to science, and something for which science should be indifferent. A reason (if there is such a thing) for the big bang or anything else does nothing to help us understand what it was, how it happened, etc.

In fact finding reason in natural things is completely antithetical to science, because it is teleological. And there is probably no worse source of bias and contamination in science than teleology.

So fine, science isn't capable of looking at nonscientific things like metaphysical yearnings for meaning. But these things are irrelevant to science and frankly relevant only to the subset of humans that can't find meaning in their own lives unless it happens to flow out of the universe as a whole.

In fact, it's a statement of the obvious that science can't investigate these things, just as it would be a statement of the obvious that Christian theology doesn't opine about photosynthesis or the geology of glaciers. Similarly, it's a statement of the obvious that metaphysics will never help us discover a new species, sequence a gene, find an HIV vaccine, or lead us to understand better what happened at the beginning of the universe.

Arjen wrote:
I will have you knwo that my university has been around for centuries and has been a very fine one for all that time. I don;t think any university in America has been around for that long, has it?
Does that matter? Stanford University opened in 1891, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology opened in 1861, and Cornell opened in 1865, and yet I'd rather get my science education at one of them than at the University of Al-Karaouine which opened in 859 AD.
Arjen

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 10:08 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
These are NOT related to science. They are related to human psychological quests for meaning.

It only appears that way in my opinion.

Quote:

The reason for the big bang (for example) is irrelevant to science, and something for which science should be indifferent. A reason (if there is such a thing) for the big bang or anything else does nothing to help us understand what it was, how it happened, etc.

Science is all about cause and effect. It observer processes from a beginning (cause) to an ending (effect). Without a beginning there is no process and therefore no science. I do appreciate the smaller processes science can observe though, but without a full insight into the cause science is based on axioms alone. That is something very important to remember.

Quote:

In fact finding reason in natural things is completely antithetical to science, because it is teleological. And there is probably no worse source of bias and contamination in science than teleology.

I did not mean that kind of reason. I ment cause. But in a normal sentence I felt awkward using the word.

Quote:

So fine, science isn't capable of looking at nonscientific things like metaphysical yearnings for meaning. But these things are irrelevant to science and frankly relevant only to the subset of humans that can't find meaning in their own lives unless it happens to flow out of the universe as a whole.

In fact, it's a statement of the obvious that science can't investigate these things, just as it would be a statement of the obvious that Christian theology doesn't opine about photosynthesis or the geology of glaciers. Similarly, it's a statement of the obvious that metaphysics will never help us discover a new species, sequence a gene, find an HIV vaccine, or lead us to understand better what happened at the beginning of the universe.

I am going to ignore this.

Quote:

Does that matter? Stanford University opened in 1891, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology opened in 1861, and Cornell opened in 1865, and yet I'd rather get my science education at one of them than at the University of Al-Karaouine which opened in 859 AD.

Perhaps, but be aware not to get involved in any prison experiments...
Wink

Anyway, I do not take kindly to people talking down to my school before they even know which it is. It makes no sense.
Aedes

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 10:46 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Science is all about cause and effect.
That's not true. Cause and effect in science are simply temporal associations -- but the formal concepts of "cause" and "effect" can only be spoken of colloquially in science. Furthermore, there are many types of investigation in science that are NOT related to causality and a produced effect. For instance, the human genome project (and other genetic mapping projects) are undertaken to make our knowledge base more comprehensive and to generate further research, but they are not answering a question about causality or mechanism. Doing a gene knockout to find out whether a gene is essential or to learn what functions an organism lacks absent that gene is also not about cause and effect -- it may produce an effect, but the question being asked is mechanistic.

Quote:
I am going to ignore this.
Why? I made some valid points, and I'm interested in your response.

Quote:
Anyway, I do not take kindly to people talking down to my school before they even know which it is. It makes no sense.
Understandable. But to be fair, you can get a bad education at a good school, or you can get no education at a good school. Harvard may have one of the most respected philosophy departments in the country, but in my 3 years at Harvard I never spent a moment in contact with that department -- so I'm not going to invoke my affiliation with that institution to defend my understanding of philosophy. Similarly you can be at a great school and not get a science education -- and one NEEDS a good background in science to critique it -- otherwise you're only critiquing a preconception.

I don't imply one way or another that your science education has been good or bad. But you talk about science using generalities that from within science seem ignorant of what science actually is and does.
Arjen

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 05:30 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes, I do not think I am going to get this across because I have tried to for three pages. My bet is you don't want to open up to this because of some sort of definition you are humoring. I am not going to take guesses this time because that has been proven to be destructive for any kind of conversation. You are on your own there. I am going to briefly respond in a last effort to get through to you and after that I am not going to try anymore. You will be on your own from there; not an inch from where I found you.

Aedes wrote:
That's not true. Cause and effect in science are simply temporal associations -- but the formal concepts of "cause" and "effect" can only be spoken of colloquially in science. Furthermore, there are many types of investigation in science that are NOT related to causality and a produced effect. For instance, the human genome project (and other genetic mapping projects) are undertaken to make our knowledge base more comprehensive and to generate further research, but they are not answering a question about causality or mechanism. Doing a gene knockout to find out whether a gene is essential or to learn what functions an organism lacks absent that gene is also not about cause and effect -- it may produce an effect, but the question being asked is mechanistic.

Science is about studying processes. One studies processes by taking a starting point and an ending point. The change that have taken place are the process. The starting point needs a cause and the ending point is what one calls an effect to the cause in question. One can do random test or researches, but these fall into a greater study which again concern cause and effect. Also the random tests or researches take beginnings and endings of their own; describing processes witnessed.

Quote:

Why? I made some valid points, and I'm interested in your response.

Because they have no bearing whatsoever on my words.

Quote:

Understandable. But to be fair, you can get a bad education at a good school, or you can get no education at a good school. Harvard may have one of the most respected philosophy departments in the country, but in my 3 years at Harvard I never spent a moment in contact with that department -- so I'm not going to invoke my affiliation with that institution to defend my understanding of philosophy. Similarly you can be at a great school and not get a science education -- and one NEEDS a good background in science to critique it -- otherwise you're only critiquing a preconception.

Tell this to Didymos_Thomas. He basis his argumentation on such strange notions. You should also take this thought to heart yourself on account of your reasoning below.

Quote:

I don't imply one way or another that your science education has been good or bad. But you talk about science using generalities that from within science seem ignorant of what science actually is and does.

I think that you have simply lost your focus. I have used no generalities apart from necessities for science to be science. Therefore these ar perhaps generalities, but also particular to every scientific act. Being within science you should know this because being the scientist you are you must have examined my words with great detail.

If you do not realise that science is metaphysical in nature and that all science does is reason about things witnessed, you need to re-evaluate your position. It exists purely as metaphysical, it therefore necessarily has a causal existance; ergo cause and effect.
Aedes

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 11:13 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
My bet is you don't want to open up to this because of some sort of definition you are humoring.
I have a career in this field, so why would you assume that I'm stubbornly holding onto a definition? Isn't it natural that with your and my different experiences of science that I'm going to see it differently than you do? It so happens that I think you have a lot of stereotypes and misconceptions about science and perhaps (puzzingly) some antipathy. But I'm operating from the standpoint that perhaps your thoughts on the matter and my experience in the field could lead to some kind of productive discussion. Instead you leave another frustrated ultimatum about how this is your last exasperated attempt to get through my obstinacy.

Quote:
Science is about studying processes.
Except for the billion things science studies that are NOT processes. Studying anatomy is not the study of a process. Neither is cataloguing genetic diversity. Neither is studying haplotype maps, gene sequencing, taxonomy, or phylogenetics.

Quote:
Because they have no bearing whatsoever on my words.
They were points that I independently made. For lack of a response I'll regard you as conceding all of these points.

Quote:
If you do not realise that science is metaphysical in nature and that all science does is reason about things witnessed, you need to re-evaluate your position. It exists purely as metaphysical, it therefore necessarily has a causal existance; ergo cause and effect.
Yes, science "reasons about things witnessed", or systematically investigates the observable. Metaphysics, on the other hand, is a human mental construct -- there is no sense data, no external verification, and therefore no reason whatsoever to presume that there is such a thing as a metaphysical truth. It's just a language game.

To say that science is metaphysical in nature is truly absurd. Cause and effect are not real things. They're human impositions on observations (just like the rest of metaphysics). As you point out there is infinite regress of causes from a metaphysical point of view. But since science can pick whatever resolution it wants, there need not be any conception of prior cause if it's irrelevant to the question at hand. If insulin causes glucose to go into muscle cells, it really doesn't matter if ultimately this is because of a primal cause at the beginning of the universe -- you can understand insulin physiology or treat diabetes anyway.

Metaphysical questions are really not interesting from a scientific standpoint, they don't inform science, they don't advance science, and they belong in churches and philosophy classrooms, not in labs. Science exists independently of any metaphysical question, and this has been true historically -- metaphysics arose by abstracting concepts from observable things, NOT the other way around. And unlike metaphysics, scientific questions can actually be answered. If some in this thread argue that there is no scientific method, then there REALLY is no metaphysical method.
Arjen

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 04:53 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I have a career in this field, so why would you assume that I'm stubbornly holding onto a definition? Isn't it natural that with your and my different experiences of science that I'm going to see it differently than you do? It so happens that I think you have a lot of stereotypes and misconceptions about science and perhaps (puzzingly) some antipathy. But I'm operating from the standpoint that perhaps your thoughts on the matter and my experience in the field could lead to some kind of productive discussion. Instead you leave another frustrated ultimatum about how this is your last exasperated attempt to get through my obstinacy.

The remarks I make that you call "ultimatum" are ment as a signal. I simply dislike the way the "conversation" goes. I have had many "conversations" which went the same way this one does. It seems four factors are always present:
1) Misunderstanding of my remarks
2) Lengthy discussion in which I repeat what I have said in the beginning a number of times in different words which are, by then, often twisted about to mean something else.
3) Irrealistic arguments made to point out that what people think I mean is ot true while the arguments are based on either refutations of themselves or downright phallicies; pointing towards deni-all.
4) It often has the effect of sparking emotional responses due to the fact that the deni-all which is also called ego.

The only think I can think of is back off after a few attempts. A conversation and a realisation of my points is not going to happen anyway because it somehow interferes with a portion of the definitions of my discussion-partners self.

I hope this clarifies matters to you.

Quote:

Except for the billion things science studies that are NOT processes. Studying anatomy is not the study of a process. Neither is cataloguing genetic diversity. Neither is studying haplotype maps, gene sequencing, taxonomy, or phylogenetics.

That the starting point and the ending point are, for all intents and purposes, the same does not make them no process. A "thing" is being studied and for this study several things are needed. A scematic of the "thing" is offcourse needed. The study of the "thing" is the study of a process. The noting of the findings is bookkeeping of sorts. Regardless science is a process which studies processes; no matter how short the process is.

Quote:

They were points that I independently made. For lack of a response I'll regard you as conceding all of these points.

Right...

Do you even still know the point I made? I do not think so because you are arguing things that do not relate to it in any way...

Quote:

Yes, science "reasons about things witnessed", or systematically investigates the observable. Metaphysics, on the other hand, is a human mental construct -- there is no sense data, no external verification, and therefore no reason whatsoever to presume that there is such a thing as a metaphysical truth. It's just a language game.

Metaphysics is reason. What is there to reason about do you think?

Quote:

To say that science is metaphysical in nature is truly absurd. Cause and effect are not real things. They're human impositions on observations (just like the rest of metaphysics). As you point out there is infinite regress of causes from a metaphysical point of view. But since science can pick whatever resolution it wants, there need not be any conception of prior cause if it's irrelevant to the question at hand. If insulin causes glucose to go into muscle cells, it really doesn't matter if ultimately this is because of a primal cause at the beginning of the universe -- you can understand insulin physiology or treat diabetes anyway.

I never said science has no place. I merely said that it is based upon axioms seeing as there are certain things not addressable by science. That is why the cases made by "science" are often pretty "diverse" (as was the opening post). Seeing as the process of "all" can never be fully understood by science any intermittent process cannot be fully understood either. Like I said before, I do understand and appreciate the place of science. It is not so that I deem science rubbish or somesuch.

I would like to know what your personal theory is by the way, seeing as you do not think cause and effect exist in reality (you did say human impositions on observations, right...even though observations are formed by the way we understand our observations and therefore is metaphysical by default)... *Poof*?

Quote:

Metaphysical questions are really not interesting from a scientific standpoint, they don't inform science, they don't advance science, and they belong in churches and philosophy classrooms, not in labs. Science exists independently of any metaphysical question, and this has been true historically -- metaphysics arose by abstracting concepts from observable things, NOT the other way around. And unlike metaphysics, scientific questions can actually be answered. If some in this thread argue that there is no scientific method, then there REALLY is no metaphysical method.

Well, the confusion of terms here makes it quite impossible to answer this properly. Suffice to say that scientific questions
Aedes

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 07:01 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
That the starting point and the ending point are, for all intents and purposes, the same does not make them no process. A "thing" is being studied and for this study several things are needed. A scematic of the "thing" is offcourse needed. The study of the "thing" is the study of a process. The noting of the findings is bookkeeping of sorts. Regardless science is a process which studies processes; no matter how short the process is.
Well, I think you're making more of a semantic argument than a substantive one. Perhaps I am as well. We are probably (almost certainly, in fact) thinking of the same thing, but we disagree about the application of terms like cause, effect, process, thing, etc.

The thing with metaphysical discourse is it hinges on terminology in a way that science doesn't. Which is why we could interchangeably use certain synonyms (or near-synonyms, like 'germ' and 'bug' and 'microbe', for instance) in science, so long as the concept being referenced is clear and observible. But can you do the same with metaphysical terms like 'form' and 'function' and 'noumenon' and 'cause'? Is the referenced concept so obvious? In science you can refer back to the rock or the bacterium without using language -- but in metaphysics there is no concrete observable reference, and this requires using the selfsame language to provide definitions.

Words like cause, effect, and process have been used differently even within the philosophical lexicon, and when we admix them with colloquial speech they can obviously be used imprecisely. And THIS is central to our disagreement -- that we're thinking of similar things and applying poorly defined (or even undefinable) terms to them differently than one another.

Quote:
Metaphysics is reason. What is there to reason about do you think?
I agree that all metaphysics is reason; but I disagree that all reason is metaphysics. Following a trail of evidence, as in science, is not metaphysical, because the reasoning is punctuated by observable things. In metaphysics the reasoned concepts are punctuated by other reasoned concepts -- there is nothing concrete to give stability. This is why metaphysics has been so repeatedly slammed in modern philosophy, by the likes of Wittgenstein and Derrida and Lyotard and others, and why metaphysics doesn't stand up to Popper's falsifiability criteria. Metaphysics is rightly accused of being a word game, and if reduced to atomic logic it actually expresses nothing. Metaphysics is interesting historically, but it has not been an important part of philosophy in about 300 years.

Quote:
Seeing as the process of "all" can never be fully understood by science any intermittent process cannot be fully understood either.
Ok, I agree with this. But scientific understanding and epistemology is about sufficiency of evidence and confidence. No responsible scientist speaks of the absolute.

For instance we make statistical statements like P values that quantify the probability that a difference between groups is from random chance. So if I show that people from Holland are more likely than people from the Congo to have fair skin with a P value of 0.00000001, that STILL means that there is a 0.000001% chance that the difference in groups is due to random chance based on my sample.

By convention, this probability is so small that we will accept the results as true. You're correct that knowledge is never absolute in science. But I don't think that means that all scientific knowledge necessarily falls apart because of a lack of attachment to the absolute. That's a metaphysical concern, but not a scientific concern.

Quote:
I would like to know what your personal theory is by the way, seeing as you do not think cause and effect exist in reality
If you reduce all interactions and processes in nature down to subatomic elements, you run into the Heisenberg problem in which we can only speak probabilistically about the location of any particle. This means that ALL processes, even 'obvious' causal ones (like how holding ice in your hand causes it to melt), in the end still become reduced to the uncertainty of individual subatomic particles whose interactions cannot be known or observed. So cause and effect are only apparent at the level of limited resolution, i.e. selectively limiting our observation to the piece of ice and not the smaller subatomic constituents.

Let me also add that it's not about "reality", which is a term you use here. I'm talking purely about scientific methodology and epistemology. Sure, I can believe cause and effect exist in a pure reality (to which lacking omniscience I have no access), and we can (and do) infer causality in science. But science NEVER proves causality at the ultimate level -- it doesn't even seek to and this cannot be written into its methodology. The scientific method provides certain conditions and derives data -- causality may be inferred, but it is not actually studied and is not part of the scientific method.

Quote:
observations are formed by the way we understand our observations
This is cognitive, not metaphysical.

Quote:
Suffice to say that scientific questions are metaphysical by default seeing as questioning is metaphysical.
Again, to formulate a question is cognitive.

It is without a doubt that empirical observations (scientific or not) are what created metaphysics as a type of discourse. The Pythagorean theorem, which one might call a universal, was only possible to derive by first studying particular right-triangles (or at least being aware of them). Plato's ideals were extrapolated or inferred from his observation of particulars -- he never saw the good -- he saw (and conceived of) instances of good that he abstracted to an ideal. Aristotle's metaphysical concepts of form and function were derived from his VERY scientific observations of natural things. More complex, abstract metaphysical concepts still are only abstractions derived from knowledge of particulars. And axioms (and laws) in science are SECONDARY to the observations, not primary. You could never derive a "law of gravity" if you were never able to observe it first.

Furthermore, humans develop senses LONG before they develop the ability to reason. Unborn babies can hear, see, taste, feel, and smell, and they have been shown to recognize their mother's voice immediately after birth just based on hearing her voice antenatally. Sense perception is obviously present in babies and young children, who have at first very little linguistic capability, and don't develop even concrete reasoning until 3 or 4 years of age.

So by the time the very ability to understand a metaphysical idea is present, one has gone through years of sense perception, memory formation, social and linguistic development, and concrete reasoning -- ALL of which come from sensory experiences. There is no possibility of metaphysics without experience, and there is no possibility of metaphysical truths and assumptions without first having empirically derived truths and assumptions.

So in the end I think it's fairly self-evident that it's human cognition, and the human way of organizing and categorizing things, that allows us to use reason to abstract out metaphysical concepts and have metaphysical discourse.

Quote:
If science would lead to the phenomenon instead of the noumenon one might best abolish it for utter non-sense.
I've always felt that the noumenon exists only conceptually -- and thus it is a phenomenon unto itself.
Arjen

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:36 am
@Aedes,
The thought has crossed my mind several times not to resond. You are contradicting yourself frequently and on top of that terms are being misused as I pointed out earlier. I am going to try to get through. You are going to have to let go of most of the axioms stated in your post though. I can refute them (as I have done a few times already in thos thread). I hope you are not going to take my words as offensive, but are going to look at the paradoxes you are forming which I am breaking. I am going to do this by showing where your thoughts are refuting themselves and after that state the way defintions are handled in a non-paradoxal way. You can also simple take my explanations as an "alternative" explanation, but I do hope you will take into account the refutations I will point out.

Aedes wrote:
Well, I think you're making more of a semantic argument than a substantive one. Perhaps I am as well. We are probably (almost certainly, in fact) thinking of the same thing, but we disagree about the application of terms like cause, effect, process, thing, etc.

I agree on this btw. Seemed valuable to say that we can at least agree to disagree.
Smile

Quote:

The thing with metaphysical discourse is it hinges on terminology in a way that science doesn't. Which is why we could interchangeably use certain synonyms (or near-synonyms, like 'germ' and 'bug' and 'microbe', for instance) in science, so long as the concept being referenced is clear and observible. But can you do the same with metaphysical terms like 'form' and 'function' and 'noumenon' and 'cause'? Is the referenced concept so obvious? In science you can refer back to the rock or the bacterium without using language -- but in metaphysics there is no concrete observable reference, and this requires using the selfsame language to provide definitions.

Right here you are using the term metaphysics in the "wrong" manner. I know metaphysics has had a number of meanings throughout history, but since Hume/Kant metaphysics means thought/reason and the transcendental has been set apart from it. Although any transcendental thing-in-itself can only be understood in a metaphysical manner (a noumenon sets itself apart from the phenomenon) it is something else. The observed is not what exists. What exists is the noumenon and unobservable.

Your statement refutes itself in this way:
When observing or referring to an observation when refers to the phenomenon which exists only in thought and not in "reality" (whatever that may be). Thereby it is metaphysical in nature. When speaking of the noumenon it is metaphysical in the sense that it cannot be percieved; it being the noumenon. So both the phenomenon and the noumenon are metaphysical. The phenomenon is, however, not what exists (as one can deduce by reasoning and thus eliminating the "bending" of the thing-in-itself by our thoughts); the noumenon is (even though we cannot know what the thing-in-itself is because of our epistemological problems).

Quote:

Words like cause, effect, and process have been used differently even within the philosophical lexicon, and when we admix them with colloquial speech they can obviously be used imprecisely. And THIS is central to our disagreement -- that we're thinking of similar things and applying poorly defined (or even undefinable) terms to them differently than one another.

I am glad you are noticing what I have been trying to point out for a few posts. The thing of it is that you are using words in a very inadequately worked out manner (<--Harsh judgement). I do, however, commend you because at least you have recgnised the concepts involved in this, unlike a very large percentage of humanity.

Quote:

I agree that all metaphysics is reason; but I disagree that all reason is metaphysics. Following a trail of evidence, as in science, is not metaphysical, because the reasoning is punctuated by observable things. In metaphysics the reasoned concepts are punctuated by other reasoned concepts -- there is nothing concrete to give stability. This is why metaphysics has been so repeatedly slammed in modern philosophy, by the likes of Wittgenstein and Derrida and Lyotard and others, and why metaphysics doesn't stand up to Popper's falsifiability criteria. Metaphysics is rightly accused of being a word game, and if reduced to atomic logic it actually expresses nothing. Metaphysics is interesting historically, but it has not been an important part of philosophy in about 300 years.

As explained above metaphysics is misused by you in this sense due to the lack of separating metaphysica from the transcendental. Metaphysics is reasoning. People just don't really call it that anymore due to the fact that the term has ment a number of different things over the centuries. Also I would like to point out that Popper's falsifiablility criteria are metaphysical and that the scientificl method, when used properly, does not survive itself. These are discussions for another thread I think though.

Refutation:

As explained above scientific reasoning is metaphysical both ways around; even when handling an empirical frame of thought.

Quote:

Ok, I agree with this. But scientific understanding and epistemology is about sufficiency of evidence and confidence. No responsible scientist speaks of the absolute.

I am very happy, this being the point all along. It also opens the door to some very unexpected (for you, gneh) results from this thought.

Quote:

For instance we make statistical statements like P values that quantify the probability that a difference between groups is from random chance. So if I show that people from Holland are more likely than people from the Congo to have fair skin with a P value of 0.00000001, that STILL means that there is a 0.000001% chance that the difference in groups is due to random chance based on my sample.

And here we have arrived at statistics. I thin we both know that statisctics say nothing of what is taking pace (nothing of "the observed"); but of what is likely to take place. There all reliabilty goes out the door.

Refutation:

You are refuting yourself in the sense that you have declared earlier that science sets itself apart from metaphysics because it speaks of observations; not metaphysical things which cannot be pointed out. Now science has also been reduced to a metaphysical "rambling". Wink

Perhaps you should study David Humes "is-ought" problem. That has some very important pointers in it. I think it would be a very interesting topic by the way. Perhaps you or I should start it in Hume's subforum?

Quote:

By convention, this probability is so small that we will accept the results as true. You're correct that knowledge is never absolute in science. But I don't think that means that all scientific knowledge necessarily falls apart because of a lack of attachment to the absolute. That's a metaphysical concern, but not a scientific concern.

The thing of it is that it point to something else. We assume that all "natural laws" function as we "know" them to. These natural laws, however, are transcendental and cannot be proven. That is where science falls short.

Refutation:

You are again refuting yourself in the sense that now the falsification process is "skipped" for convenience. I am not even going to make an effort to formulate a nice argument here. I hope you are ashamed of "science" by now...or at least realise the unscientic approach of science which I ment a few posts ago.

Quote:

If you reduce all interactions and processes in nature down to subatomic elements, you run into the Heisenberg problem in which we can only speak probabilistically about the location of any particle. This means that ALL processes, even 'obvious' causal ones (like how holding ice in your hand causes it to melt), in the end still become reduced to the uncertainty of individual subatomic particles whose interactions cannot be known or observed. So cause and effect are only apparent at the level of limited resolution, i.e. selectively limiting our observation to the piece of ice and not the smaller subatomic constituents.

Which points out the phenomenon-noumenon problem as addressed earlier but from a close-up. My argument has already been made and you are proving it by the way.

Quote:

Let me also add that it's not about "reality", which is a term you use here. I'm talking purely about scientific methodology and epistemology. Sure, I can believe cause and effect exist in a pure reality (to which lacking omniscience I have no access), and we can (and do) infer causality in science. But science NEVER proves causality at the ultimate level -- it doesn't even seek to and this cannot be written into its methodology. The scientific method provides certain conditions and derives data -- causality may be inferred, but it is not actually studied and is not part of the scientific method.

This is indeed what I have been saying all along. The reason I used the term "reality" is because for any statement to be true it has to be equal to what actually takes place. Using the scientific method no-one will ever find out (as has been proven by the axioms, uncertainty and whatnots mentioned above). One can one only know what is actually taking place by not-reasoning (which is where I think we see eye to eye...a miracle!). In that manner what is taking place will simply "be present". But perhaps this is the "metaphysical rambling" you were afraid of (even though it is transcendental Razz )

Quote:

This is cognitive, not metaphysical.

Again, to formulate a question is cognitive.

I think has lost ts relevence and I am going to skip commenting on it. I would only have to repeat myself.

Quote:

It is without a doubt that empirical observations (scientific or not) are what created metaphysics as a type of discourse. The Pythagorean theorem, which one might call a universal, was only possible to derive by first studying particular right-triangles (or at least being aware of them). Plato's ideals were extrapolated or inferred from his observation of particulars -- he never saw the good -- he saw (and conceived of) instances of good that he abstracted to an ideal. Aristotle's metaphysical concepts of form and function were derived from his VERY scientific observations of natural things. More complex, abstract metaphysical concepts still are only abstractions derived from knowledge of particulars. And axioms (and laws) in science are SECONDARY to the observations, not primary. You could never derive a "law of gravity" if you were never able to observe it first.

A comment on this would take quite a long time. Suffice to say that pythagoras does not hold in three dimensional space. Triangles can have corners of up to 270 degrees total. All formulae have to be transformed. Also has the law of gravity never been observed, its effects have been observed.

Refutations:

1) Observation in your eyes leads to a trustworthy formulation (even though above you proved it didn't); but from your example of pyth it is clearly shown that something else is the case and so observation has lead to a metaphysical theory which does is not what actually exits.
2) Your statement that the law of gravity has been observed is ment to point to a non-metaphysical deriving of truth; but in reality it points to a metaphysical deriving of truth seeing as it was metaphysical reason that made it possible to understand that something must be "pulling" the falling object down.

Twice your point of looking at the phenomenon has pointed towards a noumenon; thus refuting itself.

Quote:

Furthermore, humans develop senses LONG before they develop the ability to reason. Unborn babies can hear, see, taste, feel, and smell, and they have been shown to recognize their mother's voice immediately after birth just based on hearing her voice antenatally. Sense perception is obviously present in babies and young children, who have at first very little linguistic capability, and don't develop even concrete reasoning until 3 or 4 years of age.
Kant's metaphysics (<--there is that awfull word again) would be a good thing for you to do. It might help you forget that awfull Aristotle. We could make a great topic out of this too. Smile

Quote:

So by the time the very ability to understand a metaphysical idea is present, one has gone through years of sense perception, memory formation, social and linguistic development, and concrete reasoning -- ALL of which come from sensory experiences. There is no possibility of metaphysics without experience, and there is no possibility of metaphysical truths and assumptions without first having empirically derived truths and assumptions.

I do agree that years of refining is needed. A basal knowledge of space and time is a priori present however because without it the metaphysical tables of thoughobjects could not form itself. Scientific axioms could not be made, etc, etc. The refutation has been pointed out above.

Quote:

So in the end I think it's fairly self-evident that it's human cognition, and the human way of organizing and categorizing things, that allows us to use reason to abstract out metaphysical concepts and have metaphysical discourse.
Quote:

I've always felt that the noumenon exists only conceptually -- and thus it is a phenomenon unto itself.

I will agree with you that science shows a parodox here in the sense that it places the transcendental level on the empirical level; which is exactly what I was talking about. The opening post points this out by saying that that is why there is "chaos" in scientific evidence; or at least I think this is what is pointed out by the opening post, which is what caused this whole thread. Yo have not shifted your opinion one bit; even when confronted by refutations and paradoxes that you create when reasoning with this model. Think about what I have said because I am afraid of the things you teach children (<-- Very Happy).
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 02:00 pm
@pam69ur,
There is no such thing as an a priori intuition in the absence of experience, language, social connection, and sense data. Why? Because flawed or not, you have all these experiences long before you ever learn intuition. So intuition and reasoning never exist in the absence of these experiences.

And I've studied and read all the philosophers you've mentioned extensively. But thanks for the suggestions. In the meantime you might take note that Kant's metaphysics, while revolutionary in their time, are a good 250 years old and have very little relevance in modern thought. He's a historical figure, and his writings are central to the history of philosophy, but they look almost silly from the perspective of modern thought. I appreciate your admiration for him, but don't get yourself too locked in his arguments -- in the age of postmodernism there isn't much room anymore for another 18th century philosopher.

While I could occupy a good hour responding to your post, my opinion is sufficiently known in this thread as is yours. And while I do not accept any of your refutations, I'd rather just move on than belabor the same points. We're going to posture to the point where we'll do no more than walk in rhetorical circles around one another. Let's leave it at this where our opinions are on the table and perhaps we can return to the original theme of the thread.

Oh, by the way, if you really think I'm referring to Aristotle in any way here, you need to put down the magic mushrooms. I don't identify with very much of his philosophy, though I do admire how diverse and advanced it was for its era. The harm done by Aristotle to modern thought has nothing to do with him, though -- it's not his fault the church dogmatized him.

At any rate, it doesn't take a very careful reading of Aristotle to realize that my thoughts have nothing to do with his. In this thread I've rejected metaphysics altogether as nothing but empty wordplay, I've denied that cause and effect are epistemologically discrete or identifiable things, I've declared that observations of the universe boil down to uncertainty, and I've declared that ultimate metaphysical questions are essentially useless except to people who cannot find meaning in their own lives without a transcendental crutch. Aristotle would chafe at all these points. I have a lot more use for Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein, Lyotard, Kuhn, Derrida, and Nietzsche than I do Aristotle.
Aristoddler

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 05:39 pm
@pam69ur,
It would be nice to see this thread continue in the spirit of the topic, and not for pure semantics.
Once we start arguing semantics, our purpose tends to spiral downwards rather quickly...

And please stop accusing each other of using drugs and such nonsense. It's silly and could discourage newcomers looking for serious debate.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 05:43 pm
@pam69ur,
Just to note...most of Kant's theories and philosophies were debunked...make sure the ones you refer to aren't on that list. Wink
Aedes

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:22 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Just to note...most of Kant's theories and philosophies were debunked...
To be fair I'm not sure it's any more possible to debunk a metaphysical argument than it is to prove one. On the other hand time can certainly make them irrelevant.
0 Replies

Arjen

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 01:06 am
@Aedes,
@ Aristoddler:
Quote:

Just to note...most of Kant's theories and philosophies were debunked...make sure the ones you refer to aren't on that list. Wink

I've never seen good arguments against. But perhaps that would be something for another topic?

@Aedes:

Aedes wrote:
There is no such thing as an a priori intuition in the absence of experience, language, social connection, and sense data. Why? Because flawed or not, you have all these experiences long before you ever learn intuition. So intuition and reasoning never exist in the absence of these experiences.

Intuition and instinct are not the same thing. Intuition is a priori while instinct is learned behavior. On top of that consider this: How is it possible to ever learn anything new when the conditions do not exist in yourself? Those conditions are what one calls transcendental and intuitions is the expression of that.

Quote:

And I've studied and read all the philosophers you've mentioned extensively. But thanks for the suggestions. In the meantime you might take note that Kant's metaphysics, while revolutionary in their time, are a good 250 years old and have very little relevance in modern thought. He's a historical figure, and his writings are central to the history of philosophy, but they look almost silly from the perspective of modern thought. I appreciate your admiration for him, but don't get yourself too locked in his arguments -- in the age of postmodernism there isn't much room anymore for another 18th century philosopher.

You keep saying that; but untill now you have not given one argument against which holds.

Quote:

While I could occupy a good hour responding to your post, my opinion is sufficiently known in this thread as is yours. And while I do not accept any of your refutations, I'd rather just move on than belabor the same points. We're going to posture to the point where we'll do no more than walk in rhetorical circles around one another. Let's leave it at this where our opinions are on the table and perhaps we can return to the original theme of the thread.

I never left the original theme of the post...
I would like to add that I am sorry you cannot see things for what they are but follow the dogma instead. In the dark ages they did that too. Is there a scientific inquisition that I don't know about nowadays?

Quote:

Oh, by the way, if you really think I'm referring to Aristotle in any way here, you need to put down the magic mushrooms. I don't identify with very much of his philosophy, though I do admire how diverse and advanced it was for its era. The harm done by Aristotle to modern thought has nothing to do with him, though -- it's not his fault the church dogmatized him.

The fact that you ignore rationalism and noumena remind me quite a bit of him. Do also think "goals" are important in life?

Quote:

At any rate, it doesn't take a very careful reading of Aristotle to realize that my thoughts have nothing to do with his.

I think you should read it again..

Quote:

In this thread I've rejected metaphysics altogether as nothing but empty wordplay, I've denied that cause and effect are epistemologically discrete or identifiable things, I've declared that observations of the universe boil down to uncertainty, and I've declared that ultimate metaphysical questions are essentially useless except to people who cannot find meaning in their own lives without a transcendental crutch. Aristotle would chafe at all these points.

Was it no Aristotle who tempered Plato's metaphysics by a more down to earth (empirical) opinion? The only reason why a number of his works are labelled "metaphysical" is because of the sequence his books were placed in a certain bookcase: meta ta physica.. (those works were placed after the physics)

Quote:

I have a lot more use for Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein, Lyotard, Kuhn, Derrida, and Nietzsche than I do Aristotle.

Well, certainly Russel, Wittgenstein and Nietzsche would tell you the same I have been telling you. I have very good reasons for saying what I am saying. I think some correlations have not become apparent to you.

Anyway, if you want to call it quits after my great argumentations I can understand. We will most likely be at odds in more topics I think. Let's just remember that you are an epirist and I am a rationalist, you think phenomena are what exists and I think noumena are what exists. That will speed all things along.

Smile
Aedes

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:57 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Let's just remember that you are an epirist and I am a rationalist
That's absurd. You're a neo-rationalist, or maybe a young admirer of the 300-400 year old school of rationslism, but you're not a rationalist. Maybe you should read "Portrait of the Antisemite" by Sartre if you want to know what it means for people to fix labels to one another.

Quote:
if you want to call it quits after my great argumentations...
I want to call it quits after statements like this.
de Silentio

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 08:56 am
@pam69ur,
Quote:

you think phenomena are what exists and I think noumena are what exists

I thought both existed, that is the point of the phenomena, if you except that the noumena exists, how can you deny the phenomena?

I think you would have been better off saying that Aedes thinks the noumana does not exist, and you think it does. ( Note, I am not saying Aedes thinks one way or the other, I'm merely restating what Arjen said.)
0 Replies