Why is it necessary that others believe in a god?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:45 am
@melonkali,
melonkali;106815 wrote:
My husband uses the phrase: Schroedinger's God. There is a box. We will only be able to open the box at the time of our death. Inside the box are dilithium crystals (for Star Trek fans). If the dilithium crystals have discombobulated in a time equivalent to their atomic half-life at the time of our death, God (and the afterlife) will be inside the box when we open it. But if they do not discombobulate thus, then when we die and open the box, there will be no God, no afterlife.

We have absolutely NO way of knowing what we will find inside the box until we open it -- at the time of our death. Still, we choose to spend a great deal of our lifetimes standing around the box, hypothesizing, and trying to convince others of the correctness of our various theories.

Maybe I think there'll be a God inside, maybe you do or do not -- but what's the point of either of us wasting time trying to convince the other of the correctness, or incorrectness, of that which neither of us can possibly know?

rebecca

Not know with certainty. But that does not mean that we cannot know. After all, we can have evidence for what is (or is not) in the box although we cannot open it (and may never be able to open it. Don't forget that).
Krumple

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:10 am
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;105432 wrote:
Anyway, I would not say it is necessary that others believe in God. God does not need all. He needs the best.

Yeah he is a quality assurance tester for humanity. Toss out the defective ones into the pit and keep the flawless ones with him so he can put them on his shelf.
Fido

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;106840 wrote:
Yeah he is a quality assurance tester for humanity. Toss out the defective ones into the pit and keep the flawless ones with him so he can put them on his shelf.

Maybe God feeds on morals, and immorality tastes like ass...
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:23 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106832 wrote:
Not know with certainty. But that does not mean that we cannot know. After all, we can have evidence for what is (or is not) in the box although we cannot open it (and may never be able to open it. Don't forget that).

Kennethamy, the black box represents the unknown, the beyond, even death if you will, in this metaphor. Such evidence as we have of what lies beyond death is highly controversial--near death experiences, past life regression and memories, and other speculative conjecture. The black box is like a black hole that we may enter but not thereafter depart.

Therefore, if we can have evidence of God's existence, none of us have determined yet how to get it, and some of us have concluded that lack of evidence is equivalent to lack of existence. We also have no evidence of sentient life and civilizations on other worlds, but we strongly suspect that they are there.

The metaphor, however, is not about whether God exists or not. It is about how we spend so much of our time and energy trying to prove something about the unknown, and how we actually start wars and commit genocide because of what we believe is or is not inside the box, whose contents cannot be known until and unless we have gone somewhere beyond all contact with this world.

I respond to you because I'm melonkali's husband and helped her develop the metaphor. We may have left loose ends. We're trying to focus on the impact of mystery upon human actions and history, with the premise that maybe, just maybe, we go too far based upon beliefs and fears for which conclusive evidence is absent.

Samm
0 Replies