Your Life Is Your Experience Your Experience Is Your Life

boagie

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:07 am
Hi Y'all!

:)Life you could say is experience, and in this, it is indistinguishable from other living entities accept in the quality of experience, over all or at any given point, that is why there is compassion, we recognize this about life as the self, it is a common experience, and through experience, our name is legion. To aid someone who is contemplating suicide, what could or might you do to aid this individual, the answer is, change the subjects general experience of what is life. No getting around it, emotion is that marrow of the bone, its the real life of the bone and is at its centre. Experience is your life as you feel about it . Very Happy What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:55 am
@boagie,
Life is not experience in my opinion, but what you have learned and used from those experiences.
The experiences are merely the ingredients, and how we use them is the recipe.
The final meal is our life.
boagie

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 12:18 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Life is not experience in my opinion, but what you have learned and used from those experiences.
The experiences are merely the ingredients, and how we use them is the recipe.
The final meal is our life.

Aristoddler,Smile

:)So, what are you then, devoid of experience? Actually I think you are saying pretty much the same thing as I. You believe life is what you do with experience, indeed, and that depends upon how you feel about that experience. One man's treasure is another man's trash, the interpreters of experiences are largely the emotions, though admittedly conditioned first by the understanding, the emotional aspect does determine the quality of life, it is the marrow of the bone, so to speak. Life is the quality of experience, you are then, that quality. You are living the quality of your biological state.
Aristoddler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 04:00 pm
@boagie,
What I'm saying is that the experiences are just the fuel for the journey.
I've forgotten many experiences I have had, so they are not a factor in who I am...the ones that I remember however, are. Simply because you experience something does not mean that it will have an influence on you in one way or another. You also have to regard that experience as meaningful, or it will just vanish with the rest of the trash.

But yes, we are on the same wavelength.
boagie

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 04:11 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
What I'm saying is that the experiences are just the fuel for the journey.
I've forgotten many experiences I have had, so they are not a factor in who I am...the ones that I remember however, are. Simply because you experience something does not mean that it will have an influence on you in one way or another. You also have to regard that experience as meaningful, or it will just vanish with the rest of the trash.
But yes, we are on the same wavelength.

Aristoddler,Smile

Indeed, fuel for the understanding, that is the world at large. It is quite impossiable to know you have forgotten much that you have experienced. Experience itself is the world having an effect upon you, assuring a reaction on one level or another. Even to give a negative evaluation, as to the importance of something, is to give that object, conditon or situtation meaning, its a mind boggling experience- reaction situtation. You are a good deal more complex then you appear to believe you are. Very Happy
Vasska

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 04:22 pm
@boagie,
Of all the things we have seen, of all the things we have done, of all the things that have happened we only have left our memories. That's all.

My life is an experience (making the memories), my experience is my life (recalling the memories).

It's all I can say.
boagie

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 04:37 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Of all the things we have seen, of all the things we have done, of all the things that have happened we only have left our memories. That's all.
My life is an experience (making the memories), my experience is my life (recalling the memories). It's all I can say.

Vasska,Smile

:)Well, you can consider your life a singularity-- A, experience, even though is is not closed, and new experiences flood in all the while. True, the secret to a wonderful old age is to make a multitude of pleasant memories, however, life as it is, we do not entirely get to chose what we remember. I disgree that all we have is our memories, in the sense that you mean it, your experiences have shaped your psychology and your body, your very impression of the world, and, its is against these variables that your new experiences are conditioned. Context defines you might say, by past, present and the very next moment.
Vasska

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 04:56 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Vasska,Smile

:)Well, you can consider your life a singularity-- A, experience, even though is is not closed, and new experiences flood in all the while. True, the secret to a wonderful old age is to make a multitude of pleasant memories, however, life as it is, we do not entirely get to chose what we remember. I disgree that all we have is our memories, in the sense that you mean it, your experiences have shaped your psychology and your body, your very impression of the world, and, its is against these variables that your new experiences are conditioned. Context defines you might say, by past, present and the very next moment.

If you put it this way it goes like this:

We experience something and get shaped by this. Making our life an experience and our experience our life.

Of the moment - seized by our ideas of it all - only memories remain, the actions and consequences always stay with us.
boagie

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 05:04 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
If you put it this way it goes like this:

We experience something and get shaped by this. Making our life an experience and our experience our life.

Of the moment - seized by our ideas of it all - only memories remain, the actions and consequences always stay with us.

Vasska,Smile

:)Your first statement, fits the topic title perfectly. How do you mean the actions and consequences always stay with us-----------are they not memories? Anyway, I believe our thinking on this is pretty close. The over all quality of the experience of living, is the life, if the experience is wretched, the life is wretched. Sometimes it is a matter of an oppressive context, sometimes an organic problem, or just to dammed complex to ever know the answer.

"Making our life an experience and our experience our life." quote

:)Your Life Is Your Experience Your Experience Is Your Life: title of thread. Yes indeed we are on the same wavelength.

To Jung, Feeling and Thinking are rational functions. He was explicit that feeling did not mean emotion; it referred to a value judgment that something was agreeable or disagreeable. The rational functions work to create order for us.Very Happy
0 Replies

raven phil

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 03:17 pm
@boagie,
could that marrow not be termed the the soul and the bone the physical?
life is being its up you how you choose to be experience is a brutal teacher but boy do you learn
much peace
boagie

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 03:39 pm
@raven phil,
raven wrote:
could that marrow not be termed the the soul and the bone the physical?
life is being its up you how you choose to be experience is a brutal teacher but boy do you learn
much peace

raven,Smile

:)Yes indeed, another analogy could be used, body and soul surely. One does not often have the choice how or in what degree we will experience the world. The cruelty of an authority figure is I would imagine a bad experience in anyones book. Welcome raven, you are a new arrival are you not? Great first post, glad your getting your feet wet.Very Happy
raven phil

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 03:50 pm
@boagie,
many choose to bemoan their lives as an excuse for not taking responsibility for their experiences they also moan about lack of control and yet do not seek to captain there own ship , life and its experiences are just that a voyage up on which we embark and yet we sail without knowing our destination
ahh the world lacks so many free thinkers too many whingers about life sitting in the armchair of apathy
boagie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:22 pm
@raven phil,
Ask a Philosopher!

AskPhilosophers.org

SmileHere are a couple of sites, which if enough members visit and indulge, should crank-up the number and quality of the topics the forum considers---------they are both really good!!Wink
[RIGHT]http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/misc/progress.gif[/RIGHT]
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:21 am
@raven phil,
raven wrote:
many choose to bemoan their lives as an excuse for not taking responsibility for their experiences they also moan about lack of control and yet do not seek to captain there own ship , life and its experiences are just that a voyage up on which we embark and yet we sail without knowing our destination
ahh the world lacks so many free thinkers too many whingers about life sitting in the armchair of apathy

raven,

Often life's intention, or ones sense of individual control, is lost to process, humanity is the born to soon creature, and family and society are but secondary wombs in which the unfinished can maturate, the problem is the authorities parents and/or society nolonger seem know the questions that will ensure a vital life, a truely human life. It is said that context defines, perhaps we do not get a taste of real human life until we can define our own context. Life is to be spent, carefully/wisely mind you, but spent indeed, "If you find yourself falling--------------dive" Joseph Campbell.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:17 pm
@boagie,
... what of hopes? ... what of dreams? ... are these "experience", or only influenced by experience? ... and if not experience, are these not part of life?
boagie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:05 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... what of hopes? ... what of dreams? ... are these "experience", or only influenced by experience? ... and if not experience, are these not part of life?

paulhanke,Smile

Nothing happens without dreams, indeed if you find you are not able to dream you are in the wasteland. This is the opposite of a vital life, one in which one is utterly powerless, the living dead, life's greatest tragedy, for it is a life which has not been lived, not intentionally spent, not intentionally lived. It is the life which just happens to people, and everyday is a grey monday morning.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 02:10 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Nothing happens without dreams, indeed if you find you are not able to dream you are in the wasteland. This is the opposite of a vital life, one in which one is utterly powerless, the living dead, life's greatest tragedy, for it is a life which has not been lived, not intentionally spent, not intentionally lived. It is the life which just happens to people, and everyday is a grey monday morning.

... so then (if I'm reading you right) hopes and dreams are indeed an essential part of a vital life ... meandering back to the title of this thread, are hopes and dreams experience? ... and if not, do we need to rename this thread "Your Life is Your Experience, Hopes, and Dreams - Your Experience, Hopes, and Dreams Are Your Life"?
boagie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 03:05 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... so then (if I'm reading you right) hopes and dreams are indeed an essential part of a vital life ... meandering back to the title of this thread, are hopes and dreams experience? ... and if not, do we need to rename this thread "Your Life is Your Experience, Hopes, and Dreams - Your Experience, Hopes, and Dreams Are Your Life"?

paulhanke,

Yes indeed, of course in your later years it is a time of appreciation, of being warmed of the heart through the memories you have created. Old age without fond memories is to, your life, whatever the experience is, that your life.
0 Replies