They shall fall by the sword

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:34 am
"O God, Thou art my God; early will I seek Thee: my soul thirsteth for Thee, my flesh longeth for Thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see Thy power and Thy glory, so as I have seen Thee in the sanctuary."

"But those [that] seek my soul, to destroy [it], shall go into the lower parts of the earth. They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes. "
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,420 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Logos

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 09:41 pm
@Pythagorean,
Here is Tertullian
.................Logos
Logos

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 10:30 pm
@Logos,

......... Logos
Pythagorean

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:21 am
@Logos,
Hi, Logos. Thanks for those great quotes by Tertullian, Gibbon and Democritus.

I posted my quote from the bible because I thought it was great literature, expressing a great sentiment. And as far as literary quality goes and despite the unquestionable genius of Democritus, I think that your Tertullian quote is the better, and I wish that Gibbon would have allowed us the full pleasure even though we may fall under Tertullian's horrific judgment as philosophers ourselves.

-'...so many tragedians, more tuneful in the expression of their own sufferings'- Now that's just awesome!! Burn baby, burn!

By the way, I would like to say that it is my opinon that there is, so to speak, a 'hole' in atomism where the arrangements actually to be found in nature would seem to violate the purely accidental nature of the falling of atoms that is found in Democritus' theory. And that there seems to be a pretty direct path between materialism and hedonism.

Here is a modern quote I found online by a Mr. Kenneth Smith:

"The fallacy of modern atomistic individualism is of course not just our "tabula rasa" self-deception but also our ego-mythical "social contract": if every member of modern society is supposed autonomously and privately to think through for himself the most vital and fundamental (normative, evaluative, principled) issues of his life -- i.e. to undertake primal self-formation utterly on his own and outside the purview of parents/peers/education/media etc. -- then of course the vast majority will never advance past point A or B, whatever is most obvious, blatant, and simplistic. Expecting moderns to be radically "self-creative" when their culture systematically strips them of all concrete cultural content that might act as soulish or spiritual alphabets, is expecting fleas to jump when their legs have been cut off. Ex nihilo nihil fit, out of nothing nothing is going to get produced: humans require raw materials, they require means and tools and techniques and instructions as well as a repertory of ends, principles, values, teleological orientations, hierarchies of perspectives, etc.. If anyone wants to know where such an unholy and vast mass of aborted personalities came from in modern society (the modern Many), one virtually has to look no further than the vacuous or abstractivist code that deprives all of them of cultural traction and grit, and encourages their doulic lethargy and their banausic materialism."
Logos

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:14 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean and members:
If anyone wants to know where such an unholy and vast mass of aborted personalities came from in modern society (the modern Many), one virtually has to look no further than the vacuous or abstractivist code that deprives all of them of cultural traction and grit, and encourages their doulic lethargy and their banausic materialism."

Yes indeed. I quoted Democritus not as a follower of materialism but for the message he presents. The emphasis of responsibility on an individual level when understanding that one's actions have cause and effect is powerful stuff.

The copy of the previous post above is all too telling of the frightening direction we moderns have moved in.

Irishcop

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:23 am
@Logos,
The sword is double-edged. It condemns and it protects. It will slay the righteous as well as the evil amongst us. The sword is a failure of statesmanship and is the instrument of rationalization.
When its drawn it brings about preservation or self-annhilation, but if sheathed it accomplishes nothing.
0 Replies