Do you believe in God?

Krumple

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99486 wrote:
Yes, this would essentially mean she were dead. If I say Abraham Lincoln doesn't exist, I would mean he were dead, not that he never existed. So, yes, you could say this, but you'd have no basis for making this claim as you don't know my mother. You'd need further evidence than the simple fact that I exist to answer the question "Does she exist?". I think you must mean here, "Has your mother ever existed?", and, in this case, I think the core piece of evidence would be that I existed.

I thought I cleared that up. We can safely assume that you have or have had a mother but we can not equally use the same argument for the existence of god. Therefore you making the parallel with your mother existing in the kitchen or not is not valid to the god existing question.

Zetherin;99486 wrote:

You sound like a fundamental theist, trying to force a notion of "god" on me. What makes you think god has the same characteristics of existence as any creature? The burden of proof is on you, not me. I never claimed "God" was anything. I merely asked what evidence strong atheists have for "God" not existing. Do you know the answer to this question?

That is what I am implying. First we must consider what god's characteristics are. If we can't do that then you can not answer the question at all. If the question can't be answered then concluding that god exists completely ignores the reasoning. Just like if I came back and said, well there is no evidence for the existence of gremlins but I still believe they exist.

Zetherin;99486 wrote:

P1: All fruit are made of aluminium.
P2: Oranges are fruit.
C: Oranges are made of aluminium.

The argument is valid, but the conclusion and premises, as far as we know fruit, are unsound. People can make up deductive arguments for whatever they desire, but it doesn't necessarily make the thing they're arguing for or against true (or false).

Yeah but I am not one to accept premises that are false. If the premise that fruit are made of aluminum is unsound then the argument does not hold. Could fruit be made of aluminum? Yes, but I wouldn't call them fruit.

Zetherin;99486 wrote:

What argument of mine do you find baseless, or did you not mean that one of my arguments was baseless?

I am requesting the characteristics of god that make god exempt to observational evidence. Such as one example;

If someone were to say, "Every time I pray to god, he answers my prayers." This could be a testable and observable evidence. However; people quickly dismiss this as being either wrong to do it or that god simply refuses to play along and accept being tested. Despite what the bible tries to proclaim on multiple occasions.

Faith of a mustard seed can move a mountain. Never seen it...

Wet cloth, dry cloth? Oh I guess I should go slay our enemies now.

If god is testable, why all the dodgy attempts to acknowledge his existence?

So by what criteria can you say god is exempt to observational evidence?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:30 pm
@Pythagorean,
Krumple wrote:
I am requesting the characteristics of god that make god exempt to observational evidence.

I request this also. I best identify with what's called Ignosticism:

"The view that a coherent definition of God must be presented before the question of the existence of God can be meaningfully discussed. Furthermore, if that definition is unfalsifiable, the ignostic takes the theological noncognitivist position that the question of the existence of God (per that definition) is meaningless. In this case, the concept of God is not considered meaningless; the term "God" is considered meaningless."

Ignosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Krumple

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:41 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99493 wrote:
I request this also. I best identify with what's called Ignosticism:

"The view that a coherent definition of God must be presented before the question of the existence of God can be meaningfully discussed. Furthermore, if that definition is unfalsifiable, the ignostic takes the theological noncognitivist position that the question of the existence of God (per that definition) is meaningless. In this case, the concept of God is not considered meaningless; the term "God" is considered meaningless."

Ignosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly. The interesting part about is, people who believe, tend make assumptions about the characteristics of god and at the same time, they assume that everyone else accepts those assumptions as facts.

So is god testable? Yes or no?
If god is not testable then how was it he was tested in the bible?

If god is testable, why has every test (minus the bible) resulted in chance odds?

If god is testable, where is the overwhelming evidence of it?

Is god testable but refuses to allow testing? If so what is the motivation? To further remain hidden or to continue some form of confusion? What would be the purpose?

Is god not testable because god does not exist? This has the most evidence because a non-existing god would result in the current observable results, which is random chance.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 02:13 pm
@Pythagorean,
Krumple wrote:

Exactly. The interesting part about is, people who believe, tend make assumptions about the characteristics of god and at the same time, they assume that everyone else accepts those assumptions as facts.

I agree this is not the right way to go about things. One should eludicate the notion of "God" they're speaking about, instead of assuming the other person knows what notion of "God" they're referring to, if they want to be an effective communicator.
0 Replies

qwertyportne

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:05 pm
@Pythagorean,
It's a valid question to ask yourself, but when you ask strangers to give you their answer, and why, it's my opinion that you should give us a context for doing so, for example...

What is your REASON for asking this question and requesting a poll?
Do you plan to APPLY our answers in the real world?
Down where the rubber meets the road of everyday life?
Or just enjoy the debate in an abstract, conceptual way?

Can't argue with your reasons, whatever they are, but my view is that philosophical discussions are worthless unless I can apply them to the life I live in the here and now...

"If your philosophy doesn't grow corn, I don't want to hear about it..." -- Sun Bear

"Skepticism and wonder make strange bedfellows but a good marriage, for one must be open to all sorts of ideas but willing to run them through a rigorous filter. I don't want to believe. I want to know..." --Carl Sagan

"It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true so long as it makes you feel good as it is to not care how you make your money as long as you have it..." -- Edmund Teale
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99486 wrote:
Have you heard of Thomas Aquinas? One can prove the existence of god through an argument, but this does not necessitate that god exists. The argument can be valid, but the soundness of any of the premises or conclusion can be debatable. Here's an example:

The argument is valid, but the conclusion and premises, as far as we know fruit, are unsound. People can make up deductive arguments for whatever they desire, but it doesn't necessarily make the thing they're arguing for or against true (or false).

If you prove it, it does mean he exists. You can attempt to prove it, and that would not entail that he exists. If you DO prove it, however, it entails his existence, as if he doesn't exist, you have proven nothing.

Ditto if either the premises or conclusion are unsound.

Besides, if anyone could prove it, this entire thread, and atheism in general would not exist, would it?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99482 wrote:
As was discussed earlier, all absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Your not observing god or not having evidence for god does not mean that god does not exist.

But, as was pointed out, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence unless. it is reasonable to expect that if there were presence, then then would be evidence.

---------- Post added 10-23-2009 at 07:56 PM ----------

Zetherin;99486 wrote:

Of course you can. And many have. Have you heard of Thomas Aquinas? One can prove the existence of god through an argument, but this does not necessitate that god exists. The argument can be valid, but the soundness of any of the premises or conclusion can be debatable. Here's an example:

What argument of mine do you find baseless, or did you not mean that one of my arguments was baseless?

The premises and conclusion of your argument (above) are false. And, since the argument is valid, the reason the argument is unsound, is that the premises are false. And we know that the argument is unsound because the argument has a false conclusion. All arguments with false conclusions are unsound, although not conversely.

If an argument is sound, then that argument is a proof. Since all sound arguments have true conclusions.

Sound argument: The argument is deductive, and the argument has both true premises (all) and is valid.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 06:49 pm
@Pythagorean,
kennethamy wrote:
The premises and conclusion of your argument (above) are false. And, since the argument is valid, the reason the argument is unsound, is that the premises are false. And we know that the argument is unsound because the argument has a false conclusion. All arguments with false conclusions are unsound, although not conversely.

If an argument is sound, then that argument is a proof. Since all sound arguments have true conclusions.

Sound argument: The argument is deductive, and the argument has both true premises (all) and is valid.

Was there something I said that made you think I disagree with this?

I was just pointing out that an argument's validity does not necessitate that the argument is sound.

Quote:

But, as was pointed out, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence unless. it is reasonable to expect that if there were presence, then then would be evidence.
How does that apply here, though? How do we determine if the presence of god should be reasonably expected?

gojo1978 wrote:

If you prove it, it does mean he exists. You can attempt to prove it, and that would not entail that he exists. If you DO prove it, however, it entails his existence, as if he doesn't exist, you have proven nothing.

The thing is, with "god", one can push and pull this notion to mean practically anything - and many have. For instance, if I imagined "god" to simply be all of nature, I could write a deductive proof which could be sound at least to some. And if all the premises were considered sound and the conclusion was considered sound, and I had a valid argument, I could say that I proved the existence of "god". All I really did was tautologically assign "god" to properties which circularly made sense, but nonetheless the argument would be true.

However, I do understand what you're saying, and for most other situations I'd say you're absolutely right. From my experience, though, when we start speaking of metaphysical notions which can usually only be defined by other metaphysical notions, "soundness" tends to be a lot more debatable.
Aedes

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;99524 wrote:
The existence of something can never be proved by logic alone.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:17 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;99550 wrote:
The existence of something can never be proved by logic alone.

What I meant was that god can be logically proven; this does not necessitate that god actually exists, though. Most often, I see this done with the intelligent design movement. Essentially, a tautology is made: Properties are applied to the notion (god), and the notion becomes almost unfalsifiable. For instance, one could say that "god" is the universe, "god" is the thing which designed the mathematical exactness of things like gravity (we've seen this a lot on this forum).

Perhaps I'm just abusing words, and I shouldn't have brought the word "prove" into the mix.
Aedes

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:38 pm
@Pythagorean,
Right. The most perfect logical proof, divorced from any physical corroboration, must be tautological. But I think most god proofs don't even get to that point, because of (as you mention) embedded assumptions -- like the assumption that existence is "greater" than nonexistence, or the assumption that god must be good.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:02 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99546 wrote:

How does that apply here, though? How do we determine if the presence of god should be reasonably expected?

That is something that needs discussion and analysis. What I am saying is that when we say that absence of evidence for God does not show that God does not exist, then we are denying that we should expect there would be evidence for God if God existed. The next question is whether there should be evidence for God if God existed.

---------- Post added 10-24-2009 at 02:05 AM ----------

Aedes;99558 wrote:
Right. The most perfect logical proof, divorced from any physical corroboration, must be tautological. But I think most god proofs don't even get to that point, because of (as you mention) embedded assumptions -- like the assumption that existence is "greater" than nonexistence, or the assumption that god must be good.

What you are saying seems to be that the ontological argument is valid, but is not sound, because at least one premise is false.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 07:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99425 wrote:
I don't know whether there is a concept of although. But are all words names of concepts? I thought that, for instance, "Rover" is the name of my dog. When I call, "Rover", Rover come over (sometimes), but no concept comes over.

Of course there is such a concept even if it is conditional...The concept of water is well established, but it it conditional as well...Water changes state as energy is added or subtracted, and becomes something we call ice, or steam, or plasma, and not water, though it is the same molecule..
Words are judgements, which is knowledge for the most part... We cannot say the sky is blue without a lot of judgements we make without thinking about them because we get our vocabulary with our culture...Is it the sky??? Does it have being, and does that being have only little more substance than its color??? While some words serve only as words, to make sensible our rhetoric, and to order our ideas, they are of a certain meaning because they have been conceived of as such...

---------- Post added 10-24-2009 at 10:07 AM ----------

kennethamy;99565 wrote:
That is something that needs discussion and analysis. What I am saying is that when we say that absence of evidence for God does not show that God does not exist, then we are denying that we should expect there would be evidence for God if God existed. The next question is whether there should be evidence for God if God existed.

There is plenty of evidence of God... All we see and know can be taken as evidence of God...On the other hand what we have is the need to prove a cannon by a cannon ball...Evidence is not proof, and try as we might we cannot form a picture of a creator from what we see as created...Why have so many presumed an evil nature of God, or worse, a nature not far removed from our own??? It is because the evidence we have can be read a multitude of ways feeding endless argument and speculation...

---------- Post added 10-24-2009 at 10:13 AM ----------

Aedes;99558 wrote:

A proof is a process...Each step must lead like the links in a chain or the steps of a ladder to an inescapable conclusion... Logic fails us for this very reason; that we cannot see too far into the past to rule out events and influences, and we cannot push our logic too far into the future without foolishness...Cause and effect give reason to our lives, but we must admit that there are effects with apparent causes, and there are potential causes having no apparent effect.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
@Fido,
Fido;99587 wrote:
Of course there is such a concept even if it is conditional...

kennethamy;99565 wrote:

There is plenty of evidence of God... All we see and know can be taken as evidence of God...On the other hand what we have is the need to prove a cannon by a cannon ball...Evidence is not proof, and try as we might we cannot form a picture of a creator from what we see as created...Why have so many presumed an evil nature of God, or worse, a nature not far removed from our own??? It is because the evidence we have can be read a multitude of ways feeding endless argument and speculation...

---------- Post added 10-24-2009 at 10:13 AM ----------

I did not, of course, say there was no such concept. But, the concept of Rover is not Rover. And the concept of water is not water. And the sentence " the sky is blue" is not the blue sky. Let's not confuse concepts and words with the things they are about (if there are any such things).

I did not say either that there was no evidence of God, nor that there was evidence of God. I simply pointed out that to say that absence of evidence for God is not evidence for the the absence of God, unless it is to be expected that if there is a God, there would be evidence that there is one.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99089 wrote:
But if what he meant when he wrote, "God is just a word" was, that the word, "God, was just a word (as you say he did) then what is it you think he meant by that? Surely you don't think he was telling people that the word, "God" is just a word. Why would he tell anyone that?

Because in this crazy language of ours there are sometimes multiple words with the same meaning or similar meaning. I think the technical term is synonym. Didactic and instructive, for example.

The simple moral: there's no sense getting hung up on the word "God".
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:41 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;99595 wrote:
Because in this crazy language of ours there are sometimes multiple words with the same meaning or similar meaning. I think the technical term is synonym. Didactic and instructive, for example.

The simple moral: there's no sense getting hung up on the word "God".

I agree there are synonyms. But I don't see how that has anything to do with the issue.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 09:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99592 wrote:
Fido;99587 wrote:
Of course there is such a concept even if it is conditional...

I did not, of course, say there was no such concept. But, the concept of Rover is not Rover. And the concept of water is not water. And the sentence " the sky is blue" is not the blue sky. Let's not confuse concepts and words with the things they are about (if there are any such things).

I did not say either that there was no evidence of God, nor that there was evidence of God. I simply pointed out that to say that absence of evidence for God is not evidence for the the absence of God, unless it is to be expected that if there is a God, there would be evidence that there is one.

For the primitive mind as for ours, the name is the thing...It is for that reason that no one actually knows the name of the old testament God, and we are warned not to use the name in vain... The name gives the power to bring all ideas to mind... Nothing can be conceived of without a name... What is a dictionary??? It is a book of definitions... What is a concept but a set of definitions, and a name??? If we say, as Kant that knowledge is judgement, then all knowledge must be classified, and we cannot classify without a name... Now, with God, we have a name without knowledge, and some confuse the fact that we have a name with real knowledge, but they are wrong... Since there is no knowledge there is no true concept, and the concept of God only points to so many subjective meanings... Of that, we can have knowledge...

Evidence is not proof... Evidence is evidence and proof is proof, and there is a reason the words are not synonymous....
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 10:15 am
@Fido,
Fido;99602 wrote:
kennethamy;99592 wrote:

For the primitive mind as for ours, the name is the thing...It is for that reason that no one actually knows the name of the old testament God, and we are warned not to use the name in vain... The name gives the power to bring all ideas to mind... Nothing can be conceived of without a name... What is a dictionary??? It is a book of definitions... What is a concept but a set of definitions, and a name??? If we say, as Kant that knowledge is judgement, then all knowledge must be classified, and we cannot classify without a name... Now, with God, we have a name without knowledge, and some confuse the fact that we have a name with real knowledge, but they are wrong... Since there is no knowledge there is no true concept, and the concept of God only points to so many subjective meanings... Of that, we can have knowledge...

Evidence is not proof... Evidence is evidence and proof is proof, and there is a reason the words are not synonymous....

That may be true of the primitive mind, but no one I know confuses the name with the thing. The word, "cat" is not a cat. Everyone knows that.

I did not say that evidence for something need be proof that the something exists. But it is evidence which is needed in order to prove. Without evidence, there is no proof. Just as running a race is not winning a race, but there is no winning a race without running a race.
Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:29 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99555 wrote:
What I meant was that god can be logically proven; this does not necessitate that god actually exists, though. Most often, I see this done with the intelligent design movement. Essentially, a tautology is made: Properties are applied to the notion (god), and the notion becomes almost unfalsifiable. For instance, one could say that "god" is the universe, "god" is the thing which designed the mathematical exactness of things like gravity (we've seen this a lot on this forum).

Perhaps I'm just abusing words, and I shouldn't have brought the word "prove" into the mix.

I'm inviting you to read the thread I began "Causal Argument ..."

This is the only answer I can come up with to justify my belief/understanding that there is a God. The argument (it's a philosophical one) defines what I mean by God, and the argument is objectively valid. You're right though. Just because an argument may be valid doesn't mean that there really is such a Being. My argument amounts to a model that I think fits the universe in which I live, and it's my explanation for why I exist in that universe. At least, the model provides some rational justification for my belief in the existence of God. I cannot think of a more sound proof that would for me, justify such a belief. The argument, being philosophical, provides something better, I think, than just a conjecture like: our universe just popped into existence after being bumped into by another universe ... or: it's a freak quantum vacuum fluctuation.

These conjectujres and others just as banal I've read in one book after another on the big bang.

I think something more should be expected from philosophy.

I've tackled the problem by addressing Immanuel Kant, who I think had the right approach. My argument answers his challenge.

My argument is a priori ... meaning, it's grounded upon pure reason, and so carries with it, its own inherent rational, or logical proof. So to attack it, you need to try and show that it is not a priori, as demanded by Kant, but a posteriori (grounded upon experience as opposed to pure reason).

One other thing: Anyone looking for a solution to Kant, could have come up with this very same solution, though someone else might have presented it in a different style.

If you find the style difficult, you can also let me know about this.

I've tried to make it as clear as possible, but there may be areas that I can improve upon where this is concerned.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:40 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;99621 wrote:
I'm inviting you to read the thread I began "Causal Argument ..."

This is the only answer I can come up with to justify my belief/understanding that there is a God. The argument (it's a philosophical one) defines what I mean by God, and the argument is objectively valid. You're right though. Just because an argument may be valid doesn't mean that there really is such a Being. My argument amounts to a model that I think fits the universe in which I live, and it's my explanation for why I exist in that universe. At least, the model provides some rational justification for my belief in the existence of God. I cannot think of a more sound proof that would for me, justify such a belief. The argument, being philosophical, provides something better, I think, than just a conjecture like: our universe just popped into existence after being bumped into by another universe ... or: it's a freak quantum vacuum fluctuation.

These conjectujres and others just as banal I've read in one book after another on the big bang.

I think something more should be expected from philosophy.

I've tackled the problem by addressing Immanuel Kant, who I think had the right approach. My argument answers his challenge.

To attack the argument you need to show that the argument is not a priori, as demanded by Kant, but a posteriori (grounded upon experience as opposed to pure reason). My argument is a priori ... meaning, it's grounded upon pure reason, and so carries with it, its own inherent rational, or logical proof.

It is logically impossible to derive a contingent, a posteriori, conclusion from necessary a priori premises. Kant's repudiation of the ontological argument was based on this truth.