perplexity

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:46 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
If there is no true or false, how can you even have a point to make?

Belief makes the point.

Isa wrote:
What is it you are pointing to?

de Silentio wrote:
Plato was deeply concerned with the difference between belief and truth.
What are some of your thoughts?

Thoughts are variously believed or not believed, thus deemed to be true or false.

Isa wrote:
How can your subjective experience be any more right than any other subjective experience?

Value judgement, which is to say belief thus pretends that one subjective experience is right while another is wrong.

Isa wrote:
If you see a red rose, it is a subjective experience; there is no right/wrong or true/false, it just is. But once you make an inference about a subjective experience; like planting a red rose in red soil will make it more red; then for the inference to be true, it must line up with reality, or it is a falsehood.

One is therefore deemed to conform to reality while another is not.

Isa wrote:

Believing that something is false, if it is false, is not a falsehood. If a subject believes something that does not line up with reality, that belief is a falsehood.

Reality is thus a belief.

It is all a matter of agreement.

The better way to agree is to discard this peculiar attachment to the myth of the absolutely eternal single reality.

It is so much more sensible to agree to the truth of an infinite variety of realities.

Smile
boagie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:37 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Hi Boagie,

A fact of logic is if a statement is to be considered to have a truth value, either to be true or false, it has to have the possiblity of being either. And as it has been pointed out, subjective experience cannot be either true or false, it just is; so subjective experience cannot be the "seat" of truth.

Subjective meaning, without truth, is meaningless. Without truth and meaning, there is no thought, only experiece. Without truth, meaning and thought, there is no communication. Without truth, meaning, thought and communication; there can be no agreement.

There is truth.

Hi Isa,Smile

I believe you are complicating this more than it needs to be, when dealing with subject and object. You are subject anything that is not you is object. Objects for the most part do not have thoughts, do not discern meaning, of course other people which might be considered objects to you have their own relations with object. Subjective meaning can be about truths or falsehoods, it is a value judgement about the physical world, a vaule judgement about a relationship between subject and object, between you and object.

The first part of your statements, subjective experience does indeed come to some conclusions, it is only the physical world as object which by itself has no meaning because no one has given it any meaning. People discern for themselves what is true or false about the relationship they have with the physical world as object. Try to look at it this way, the physical world as object is potential, potential meaning to a subject/person. The physical world without a person/subject would remain nothing but potential. Only the person decides meaning, true or false up or down, good or bad it is the property of humanity as subject.
Arjen

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:52 am
@de Silentio,
@ Isa, Perplexity & Boagie:
Subjectivity has no bearing whatsoever on true or false. Objectivity doesn't either. They are terms for something else entirely. They are most frequently used to deduce reasons for claiming something is true or false however.
The explenation for this lies in the following thought:
I may, in a subjective way (for I am a subject) experience something. Let's say I experience heat. If I would claim that I was experiencing heat another could say that this was a subjective remark for what I experienced as heat the other may experience as a chill. If I would remark that I experienced a wind of 20 degrees (on whichever scale) the other would only be able to agree with me (if indeed the wind was 20 degrees). That I experienced it subjectively as warm has absolutely no bearing on the truth of the matter: it was 20 degrees. That is an objective truth. We can reach objective truths by abstracting from teh subject (according to Immanuel Kant...and I second his opinion).

We see that there are three distinctions to be made in this matter:
- a subjective (and therefore possible) perception
- a subjective perception which is equal to (and therefore really exists) an objective experience
- an objective (and therefore necessary) experience

I suppose this is not something which can be explained so quickly. If you would like to learn more on this theory just follow the link to Immanuel Kant...or start a topic on him.
boagie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:13 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
@ Isa, Perplexity & Boagie:
Subjectivity has no bearing whatsoever on true or false. Objectivity doesn't either. They are terms for something else entirely. They are most frequently used to deduce reasons for claiming something is true or false however.
The explenation for this lies in the following thought:
I may, in a subjective way (for I am a subject) experience something. Let's say I experience heat. If I would claim that I was experiencing heat another could say that this was a subjective remark for what I experienced as heat the other may experience as a chill. If I would remark that I experienced a wind of 20 degrees (on whichever scale) the other would only be able to agree with me (if indeed the wind was 20 degrees). That I experienced it subjectively as warm has absolutely no bearing on the truth of the matter: it was 20 degrees. That is an objective truth. We can reach objective truths by abstracting from teh subject (according to Immanuel Kant...and I second his opinion).

- a subjective perception which is equal to (and therefore really exists) an objective experience

I suppose this is not something which can be explained so quickly. If you would like to learn more on this theory just follow the link to Immanuel Kant...or start a topic on him.

Arjen,Smile

It is a further complication, but perhaps still not so clearly so, for the subject would not experience said 20 degrees but sensation of temperature not a reading. What is true is what is relative to the subject it can be no other way. This just off the top of my head, I will spend some time considering your proposition and post another response later.Very Happy Can a subject be mistaken, I think that has already been established, but that could only be established by anothers subjective experience. I think relativity is the operative word here, if subject is not relative to object what then. I getting carried away here before having considered your proposition, later;)
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:40 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

Thanks for the input. In what way might this defination of subject and object not be accurate? If all meaning is the property of a subject certainly objectively there is no true or false.

Does that mean that it is not true that the speed of light is not greater than the speed of sound?

If it is true that because meaning is the property of a subject (if that is true) and it that implies that (for instance) it is not true that light is faster than sound, then I would urge you to give up the view that meaning is a property of the subject, because I am far surer that it is true that light is faster than sound, than you or anyone can possibly be sure that meaning is the property of the subject (whatever that might mean). (I need not, I am sure, point out that if you think, as you must, that it is true that all meaning is the property of the subject, and that it is true that implies that there is not truth, then you really cannot think that there is no true or false, since you have just told us that you believe that there are at least two true propositions).
Isa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:04 am
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:

Reality is thus a belief.

It is all a matter of agreement.

The better way to agree is to discard this peculiar attachment to the myth of the absolutely eternal single reality.

It is so much more sensible to agree to the truth of an infinite variety of realities.

Smile

If, as you say, the truth is that there are an infinite variety of realities from which to choose; why do you insist on discarding only the one that states the absolutely eternal single reality?

And if there are an infinite variety of realities, then it is all fiction, so what meaning does "myth" have?
perplexity

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:05 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:

I suppose this is not something which can be explained so quickly. .....

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif This was already explained:

perplexity wrote:
< :eek: >

Obviously enough, an objective truth that can only be be subjectively known is an oxymoron.

The objective truth is a belief, not a truth http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

"Objective" means "believe this or else" http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

"Subjective means, "go away, your opinion is not convenient" http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

Sophisticated abuse.

Smile
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Does that mean that it is not true that the speed of light is not greater than the speed of sound?

If it is true that because meaning is the property of a subject (if that is true) and it that implies that (for instance) it is not true that light is faster than sound, then I would urge you to give up the view that meaning is a property of the subject, because I am far surer that it is true that light is faster than sound, than you or anyone can possibly be sure that meaning is the property of the subject (whatever that might mean). (I need not, I am sure, point out that if you think, as you must, that it is true that all meaning is the property of the subject, and that it is true that implies that there is not truth, then you really cannot think that there is no true or false, since you have just told us that you believe that there are at least two true propositions).

kennethamy,

For our purposes it does not matter what the speed of light is, a fact can only be known by a subject, The speed of light has been subjectively determined, it is subjective knowledge. Again, the physical world holds no meaning in and of itself, the object needs a subject for there to be any meaning whatsoever.
0 Replies

perplexity

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:24 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
If, as you say, the truth is that there are an infinite variety of realities from which to choose; why do you insist on discarding only the one that states the absolutely eternal single reality?

This is about the deliberate disregard of personal experience, the difference between truth and belief.

Ontologically, a single reality postulated as a theoretical sum total of infinite personal realities is logically irrefutable.

More to the point, where is the proof, beyond the mere assertion?

:confused:
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:25 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:

And if there are an infinite variety of realities, then it is all fiction, so what meaning does "myth" have?

Isa,Smile

There are as many realities as there are subjects.

Edit: There is nevertheless a striking similarity between most.
perplexity

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:33 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:

"Myth" alludes to a concern with deities or demigods, associated ritual and the justification of a social institution:

Myth - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Smile
perplexity

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:36 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

There are as many realities as there are subjects.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."

(Hamlet: Act II, Scene II)

---
0 Replies

Isa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:21 am
@boagie,
Hi Boagie,

[quote=boagie] Subjective meaning can be about truths or falsehoods, it is a value judgment about the physical world, a value judgment about a relationship between subject and object, between you and object.[/quote]

It seems from this statement, that truth does not reside in the object nor does it reside in the subjective meaning, but rather it resides in the relationship between subject and object.

boagie wrote:

The first part of your statements, subjective experience does indeed come to some conclusions, it is only the physical world as object which by itself has no meaning because no one has given it any meaning.

The initial subjective experience (simple sensory perception) does not have a conclusion, only when one attends to and makes an inference about the perception is there a conclusion. When reading a book, and attending to the reading, you still perceive the light coming off the pages. You may make conclusions about what you are reading, but not about the light that is simply a sensory perception. Once you are attending to the light, you may attempt to make some inferences about some property of light, and then conclusions come into play.

boagie wrote:

People discern for themselves what is true or false about the relationship they have with the physical world as object. Try to look at it this way, the physical world as object is potential, potential meaning to a subject/person. The physical world without a person/subject would remain nothing but potential. Only the person decides meaning, true or false up or down, good or bad it is the property of humanity as subject.

Let's use an example from Descartes: an individual is cut off from all sensory perception with only thought left (and has never known anything other than this state); what can this person discern for them self as to what is true or false about the relationship they have with the physical world as object?

It seems that though meaning is given by the subject, whether this meaning is true or false depends on how the subjective meaning corresponds to the relationship with the objective reality. So it seems that truth, at least in part, resides outside of the subject.
Isa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:30 am
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:
"Myth" alludes to a concern with deities or demigods, associated ritual and the justification of a social institution:

Smile

Myth alludes to an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.

0 Replies

boagie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:09 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Hi Boagie,

It seems from this statement, that truth does not reside in the object nor does it reside in the subjective meaning, but rather it resides in the relationship between subject and object.

The initial subjective experience (simple sensory perception) does not have a conclusion, only when one attends to and makes an inference about the perception is there a conclusion. When reading a book, and attending to the reading, you still perceive the light coming off the pages. You may make conclusions about what you are reading, but not about the light that is simply a sensory perception. Once you are attending to the light, you may attempt to make some inferences about some property of light, and then conclusions come into play.

Let's use an example from Descartes: an individual is cut off from all sensory perception with only thought left (and has never known anything other than this state); what can this person discern for them self as to what is true or false about the relationship they have with the physical world as object?

It seems that though meaning is given by the subject, whether this meaning is true or false depends on how the subjective meaning corresponds to the relationship with the objective reality. So it seems that truth, at least in part, resides outside of the subject.

Hi Isa,Smile

Smile You sure are getting a handle on this! The individual that you pose here, cannot have known no other state, with complete sensory deprivation one would self-destruct. In total sensor deprivation, the relationship with the subject is cut off from object, the individual or subject would not be able to discern anything, and kept in this state would perish. The material experience of the objective world you might say is the fuel of the mind, without any experience whatsoever there could be no thought process.

"So it seems that truth, at least in part, resides outside of the subject."quote

Smile This is the finer point, a true or false conclusion on the part of a subject is a conclusion about his relationship to object, it is hot, hard or small depending for the concept of hot, hard or small relative to the temperature of the individual, the permability of the individual or the stature of the individual. There is only large or small by comparison, there is only hot and cold, soft and hard by comparison too the subject, and/or the subjects judgement between two objects.

Smile You are correct though. A judgement is tested by testing again the subjects relation to the objective or physical world, if it does not aline with what has been concluded by the first impression then it is false, but it is false again by a subjective evalution of the relation between it/subject and the object. The objective world is the touch stone you might say, for both the first impression and the double checking with the objective world for assurance.-------still not infalliable! The KEY to understanding really is to realize the bases of all reality is relational, relation is reality, subject and object, you and the world. Subject and object stand or fall together. Subject relation object = reality;)
Isa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:40 am
@boagie,
Hi Boagie,

boagie wrote:

You sure are getting a handle on this! The individual that you pose here, cannot have known no other state, with complete sensory deprivation one would self-destruct. In total sensor deprivation, the relationship with the subject is cut off from object, the individual or subject would not be able to discern anything, and kept in this state would perish..

It seems that modern medicine would be able to keep this individual alive, at least for some time, on life support. Surely sensory deprivation will not cause this individual to spontaneously implode. And it would not be unreasonable to assume that some thought would take place before this individual would perish.

But the fact that an individual would deteriorate without object experience, again seems to indicate that subjective experience requires the relationship with object reality. So too, it seems that subjective meaning cannot be entirely independent of the relationship with object reality.

boagie wrote:

"So it seems that truth, at least in part, resides outside of the subject."quote

This is the finer point, a true or false conclusion on the part of a subject is a conclusion about his relationship to object, it is hot, hard or small depending for the concept of hot, hard or small relative to the temperature of the individual, the permability of the individual or the stature of the individual. There is only large or small by comparison, there is only hot and cold, soft and hard by comparison too the subject, and/or the subjects judgement between two objects. .

"Is this rock hard enough to break this egg?" Is the term "hard" relative to me as the subject, or between the two objects?

boagie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:48 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Hi Boagie,

It seems that modern medicine would be able to keep this individual alive, at least for some time, on life support. Surely sensory deprivation will not cause this individual to spontaneously implode. And it would not be unreasonable to assume that some thought would take place before this individual would perish.

But the fact that an individual would deteriorate without object experience, again seems to indicate that subjective experience requires the relationship with object reality. So too, it seems that subjective meaning cannot be entirely independent of the relationship with object reality.

"Is this rock hard enough to break this egg?" Is the term "hard" relative to me as the subject, or between the two objects?

Isa,Smile

Smile The material experience of the objective world you might say is the fuel of the mind, without any experience whatsoever there could be no thought process.

Smile Subject and object are mutually dependent, take away one and the other disappears.

Smile Isa, the answer is both.The rock is obviously, relative to the eggs, hard enough to crack them, and it is the subject, not the rock or the eggs which has discerned this.

Smile No the truth does not reside outside the subject, truth is a concept, and all meaning is subjective, things of themselves just are. Without a subject there is no meaning, without a subject indeed there is no object. Again, subject and object are interdependent, take away one and the other disappears/ceases to exist.
0 Replies

perplexity

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Surely sensory deprivation will not cause this individual to spontaneously implode.

:eek:

Sensory deprivation is otherwise known as death, a notoriously difficult experiment to monitor in terms of the eventual outcome, unfortunately.

:rolleyes:
linux user

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:23 pm
@perplexity,
"Death" gives to "Life", as life gives to death - each repeating the other sequentially.

Each is the other - therefore "death" is an illusion, as is life.

Neither exists.

Our Senses Mightily Deceive.
0 Replies

Isa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:41 pm
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:
:eek:

Sensory deprivation is otherwise known as death, a notoriously difficult experiment to monitor in terms of the eventual outcome, unfortunately.

:rolleyes:

Perhaps that is why philosophy is ethically limited to thought experiments.

An unfortunate limitation Wink