boagie

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
If you are mistaken about the capital of Ecuador it is a subjective error, and you could only find out othewise by subjective process

Pain is subjective, because if I believe I am in pain, then I am in pain. I cannot be mistaken about whether I am in pain. Knowledge is objective, since I can believe I know and not know. I can be mistaken about whether I know. Therefore, knowledge is objective.

kennethamy,Smile

If knowlege is objective that means object is doing the knowing, have it your way, knowledge is objective.

Subjective knowledge is about the objective world, knowledge requires however a knowning, thus knowledge is subjective.
Isa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 07:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Pain is subjective, because if I believe I am in pain, then I am in pain. I cannot be mistaken about whether I am in pain. Knowledge is objective, since I can believe I know and not know. I can be mistaken about whether I know. Therefore, knowledge is objective.

It is even possible to be in error about ones own pain.

My father lost a leg in WWII. He said one of the worst things was when he felt intense pain in his foot; the foot that was no longer there.
Isa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:30 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

Subjective knowledge is about the objective world, knowledge requires however a knowning, thus knowledge is subjective.

Hi Boagie,

Maybe another way to state your point would be: the "seat" of knowledge must rest in a sentient subject (oneself--since this is the only person's thoughts we have direct access to), and not the object (inanimate, abstract or otherwise); and therefore the knowledge in the subject must be classified as subjective knowledge.

Now to get back to the subject of truth: what does it mean when one would say that this subjective knowledge (or proposition) is true (or the truth)? And can you express this meaning of Truth in a way that agrees with the two common constraints on truth and falsehood?

1. Every proposition is true or false. (Law of excluded middle)
2. No proposition is both true and false. (Law of non-contradiction)

These contraints require that every proposition has exactly one truth value that doesn't change its truth value in space or time.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 07:17 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
It is even possible to be in error about ones own pain.

My father lost a leg in WWII. He said one of the worst things was when he felt intense pain in his foot; the foot that was no longer there.

He was in error as to the source of the pain, not that he was in pain. (And he really wasn't even in error about that, since you say, he knew the foot no longer was there).
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 07:27 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Hi Boagie,

Maybe another way to state your point would be: the "seat" of knowledge must rest in a sentient subject (oneself--since this is the only person's thoughts we have direct access to), and not the object (inanimate, abstract or otherwise); and therefore the knowledge in the subject must be classified as subjective knowledge.

Now to get back to the subject of truth: what does it mean when one would say that this subjective knowledge (or proposition) is true (or the truth)? And can you express this meaning of Truth in a way that agrees with the two common constraints on truth and falsehood?

These contraints require that every proposition has exactly one truth value that doesn't change its truth value in space or time.

It is certainly true that if A knows that p, then it is A who knows that p. But that is a tautology. And so, it is a truth, but a trivial truth that in that sense, knowledge is subjective. On the other hand, it is not a trivial truth, but a substantive falsity that if A believes that he knows that p, then A knows that p. (For whether or not A knows that p is quite objective). Therefore, in Boagie's sense of subjective, it is true, but trivial that knowledge is subjective, but in the non-trivial sense, it is false that knowledge is subjective. Therefore, Boagie can choose between stating something true, but trivial, or false but substantive. I don't really mind which, as long as it is clear which he prefers.
boagie

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
It is certainly true that if A knows that p, then it is A who knows that p. But that is a tautology. And so, it is a truth, but a trivial truth that in that sense, knowledge is subjective. On the other hand, it is not a trivial truth, but a substantive falsity that if A believes that he knows that p, then A knows that p. (For whether or not A knows that p is quite objective). Therefore, in Boagie's sense of subjective, it is true, but trivial that knowledge is subjective, but in the non-trivial sense, it is false that knowledge is subjective. Therefore, Boagie can choose between stating something true, but trivial, or false but substantive. I don't really mind which, as long as it is clear which he prefers.

kennethamy,

It does not matter what is to be known, it can only be known subjectively.

"It is not a trival truth, but a substantive falsity that if A believes that he knows P,then A knows P, for whether or not A knows that p is quite objective."

Whatever the conclusion it is subjectively known by someone. If you are stating something as a fact you must subjectively know this to be fact.

Give me one example of you knowning something which is not subjective.

Isa,

Excellent post, As to the second part, when one expresses something as true or false, it is about the said relationship between subject and object, the said object is of a certain condition relative to the subject. The colour red is only red relative to the senses of the subject, indeed to someone colour-blind it is another colour all together. Object is subject dependent and vise-versa. Just as there is no sound in the forest without an ear to hear it, so too there is no colour without eyes to precieve it---it is an interpretation not the thing itself. Truth itself is relative too subject not in and of itself so.
Isa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:35 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

Excellent post, As to the second part, when one expresses something as true or false, it is about the said relationship between subject and object, the said object is of a certain condition relative to the subject. The colour red is only red relative to the senses of the subject, indeed to someone colour-blind it is another colour all together. Object is subject dependent and vise-versa. Just as there is no sound in the forest without an ear, so too there is no colour without eyes to precieve it---it is an interpretation not the thing itself.

Hi Boagie,

Thanks for the compliment.

To get better handle on this, would it be possible for you to give another example that is a bit more on an inference/propositional level (something that could be a falsehood) than recognition of simple sensory input (sight, smell, sound, taste, touch)? Recognition of simple sensory input can easily fall under the more common use of the term subjective knowledge (taste/opinion); which also makes it difficult to think of as "a truth" because it can't really be a falsehood. It is like saying "this is my opinion"-- you can't really say that it is not true that this is your opinion (given that it is indeed your opinion -- even if the opinion is wrong).
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 01:26 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,

It does not matter what is to be known, it can only be known subjectively.

"It is not a trival truth, but a substantive falsity that if A believes that he knows P,then A knows P, for whether or not A knows that p is quite objective."

Whatever the conclusion it is subjectively known by someone. If you are stating something as a fact you must subjectively know this to be fact.

Give me one example of you knowning something which is not subjective.

Sure, I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Whether it is or it is not is not up to me. And I might be mistaken that it is. So how can it be subjective. I mean by "subjective" that it is not mind-dependent, so that whether it is true, does not depend on whether I know it is true. You just mean (I think) by "subjective) that someone knows it. Of course, if it is known, then someone knows it. That is trivially true. So, in your sense of :subjective: it is trivially true that my knowledge that Quito is the capital is subjective. But in my sense of "subjective" it is simply false that my knowledge that the capital of Quito is subjective, for whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not dependent on my mind or on the mind of anyone.
boagie

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:11 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Hi Boagie,

Thanks for the compliment.

To get better handle on this, would it be possible for you to give another example that is a bit more on an inference/propositional level (something that could be a falsehood) than recognition of simple sensory input (sight, smell, sound, taste, touch)? Recognition of simple sensory input can easily fall under the more common use of the term subjective knowledge (taste/opinion); which also makes it difficult to think of as "a truth" because it can't really be a falsehood. It is like saying "this is my opinion"-- you can't really say that it is not true that this is your opinion (given that it is indeed your opinion -- even if the opinion is wrong).

Isa,Smile

This is a bit of a challenge for me but how about the beautiful, most often when someone declares something to be of beauty they do not qualify what it is to be beautiful, what qualites must something have for it too be beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it is said and it really is true.

In the writings of Mark Twain he speaks of his travels and the uglyest creature he had ever seen the hippopotamus. This is a subjective evaluation and many would agree with this oppinion, is it true, again the truth is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I do not agree with Mark Twains subjective opinion. The truth of the matter could be in ones criteria of beauty, beauty after all can have numerous qualities such as order, composition, rhythm, form and function. Perhaps the subjective opinion of Mark Twain is limited to a few of the said characteristics. For me the hippopotamus is beauty in relation to its adaptation to its environment perhaps even in its form and function. Reguardless whom is right and who is wrong, it comes down to a independent subjective evaluation.

I do not know if this is quite what you mean't, it does underline however that meaning is a subjective property. If Twain's criteria were those in my list it matters little, perhaps his criteria was a human comparison. This truth of beauty however belongs to the individual subject. Remember that what we call truth is an interpretation, it is not the property of the object, truth is the affirmation of a relational experience, an experience of an individual. We recieve from our environment certain stimulus, this stimulus is conditioned by our senses, and then further conditioned by the processes of our understanding, it is in itself a creation.
boagie

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:57 pm
@kennethamy,
"Sure, I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Whether it is or it is not is not up to me. And I might be mistaken that it is. So how can it be subjective. I mean by "subjective" that it is not mind-dependent, so that whether it is true, does not depend on whether I know it is true. You just mean (I think) by "subjective) that someone knows it. Of course, if it is known, then someone knows it. That is trivially true. So, in your sense of :subjective: it is trivially true that my knowledge that Quito is the capital is subjective. But in my sense of "subjective" it is simply false that my knowledge that the capital of Quito is subjective, for whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not dependent on my mind or on the mind of anyone.[/quote]

kennethamy,

If you believe that the captial of Ecuador is Quito, that is your subjective experience, if you find out that it is not the capital, that too is your subjective experience. All knowledge is to be tested in this way, by testing the opinion/belief/observation against physical reality."whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not dependent on my mind or on the mind of anyone." You are correct here, it does not depend upon you in the physical sense, but it is entirely dependent upon you to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:15 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
"Sure, I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Whether it is or it is not is not up to me. And I might be mistaken that it is. So how can it be subjective. I mean by "subjective" that it is not mind-dependent, so that whether it is true, does not depend on whether I know it is true. You just mean (I think) by "subjective) that someone knows it. Of course, if it is known, then someone knows it. That is trivially true. So, in your sense of :subjective: it is trivially true that my knowledge that Quito is the capital is subjective. But in my sense of "subjective" it is simply false that my knowledge that the capital of Quito is subjective, for whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not dependent on my mind or on the mind of anyone.

kennethamy,

If you believe that the captial of Ecuador is Quito, that is your subjective experience, if you find out that it is not the capital, that too is your subjective experience. All knowledge is to be tested in this way, by testing the opinion/belief/observation against physical reality."whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not dependent on my mind or on the mind of anyone." You are correct here, it does not depend upon you in the physical sense, but it is entirely dependent upon you to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.[/quote]

Weren't we talking about knowledge, not just belief. I can tell I believe Quito is the capital simply by introspection, looking into my own mind. But knowledge is entirely different. I cannot tell whether I know Quito is the capital, although I can tell whether I believe I know Quito is the capital. But in order to tell whether I know that Quito is the capital, I have to determine whether Quito is, in fact, the capital. And how can I determine that by looking into my mind? Answer, I can't. What depends on me is whether I believe I know Quito is the capital, but not whether I know that Quito is the capital.
0 Replies

Isa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:26 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Isa,Smile

This is a bit of a challenge for me but how about the beautiful, most often when someone declares something to be of beauty they do not qualify what it is to be beautiful, what qualites must something have for it too be beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it is said and it really is true.

In the writings of Mark Twain he speaks of his travels and the uglyest creature he had ever seen the hippopotamus. This is a subjective evaluation and many would agree with this oppinion, is it true, again the truth is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I do not agree with Mark Twains subjective opinion. The truth of the matter could be in ones criteria of beauty, beauty after all can have numerous qualities such as order, composition, rhythm, form and function. Perhaps the subjective opinion of Mark Twain is limited to a few of the said characteristics. For me the hippopotamus is beauty in relation to its adaptation to its environment perhaps even in its form and function. Reguardless whom is right and who is wrong, it comes down to a subjective evaluation.

I do not know if this is quite what you mean't, it does underline however that meaning is a subjective property. If Twain's criteria were those in my list it matters little, perhaps his criteria was a human comparison. This truth of beauty however belongs to the individual subject. Remember that what we call truth is an interpretation, it is not the property of the object, truth is the affirmation of a relational experience, an experience of an individual. We recieve from our environment certain stimulus, this stimulus is conditioned by our senses, and then further conditioned by the processes of our understanding, it is in itself a creation.

Hi Boagie,

Actually, I was thinking of going the other direction with this.Smile To try and come up with the most "objective" (in the most common sense of the word) statement that you could. Again, something that can be wrong, but not a matter of taste. Something like the change on the table equals $1.23.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:35 pm
@Isa,
Ho
Isa wrote:
Hi Boagie,

Actually, I was thinking of going the other direction with this.Smile To try and come up with the most "objective" (in the most common sense of the word) statement that you could. Again, something that can be wrong, but not a matter of taste. Something like the change on the table equals $1.23.

Or that Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun, or that water is H20, or that when the king (in chess) is in check, and has no legal move, then the king is in checkmate, or that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. I have no trouble thinking up objective statements. But I didn't know that was what the thread was all about. I thought it was about knowledge, and whether the statement that A knows that p is true is objective. Has the subject of the thread changed?

The statement that A knows that p is true is objective, since it is not up to anyone whether that statement is true or false. It depends on whether A knows that p is true, and that depends on no one, including A.
Isa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 08:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Ho

Or that Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun, or that water is H20, or that when the king (in chess) is in check, and has no legal move, then the king is in checkmate, or that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. I have no trouble thinking up objective statements. But I didn't know that was what the thread was all about. I thought it was about knowledge, and whether the statement that A knows that p is true is objective. Has the subject of the thread changed?

The statement that A knows that p is true is objective, since it is not up to anyone whether that statement is true or false. It depends on whether A knows that p is true, and that depends on no one, including A.

Kenneythamy,

The thread is about Truth and Belief. I'm trying to understand a perspective about "subjective knowledge" and how this would handle truth values: seems on subject if you ask me.

And actually, your examples of Mars and H20 would go further in proving Boagie's subjective knowledge claim: unless you have been to Mars or seen atoms. Do you have any first hand information on either of these facts? Or isn't it really that you have learned scientific facts from what you have read or heard someone else say?
Isa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 08:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Only if A is you. If A is anyone else, it is subjective: unless now you have the ability to read another person's thoughts.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:25 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Kenneythamy,

The thread is about Truth and Belief. I'm trying to understand a perspective about "subjective knowledge" and how this would handle truth values: seems on subject if you ask me.

And actually, your examples of Mars and H20 would go further in proving Boagie's subjective knowledge claim: unless you have been to Mars or seen atoms. Do you have any first hand information on either of these facts? Or isn't it really that you have learned scientific facts from what you have read or heard someone else say?

Most of what I know, I have learned from others. I have very little direct knowledge of my own. Why? What has that to do with whether knowledge is subjective? To say that knowledge is subjective is to say that if a person believes he knows something then he knows it. But that is clearly false. I may believe I know that La Paz is the capital of Ecuador, but, since La Paz is not the capital of Ecuador, I do not know it is. What do you mean by the notion that knowledge is subjective. It is that I cannot find out. As I said, of course everything that is known is known by some subject (person). But by that meaning, of course, all knowledge is subjective. But that is just an obvious truism. I really do not know what you mean by "handling truth values", but perhaps this will help: to say that knowledge is subjective is to say the if it is true that I believe I know some proposition, then it follows that I know that proposition. Would that be what you have in mind. Otherwise, you will have to explain what you have in mind as well.

It is true that some things I know are known by me directly, and some are known by me indirectly (or by inference) from what I know directly. For instance, I know directly that there are letters in my post box because I observe them there: and I know indirectly that the mailman has visited since I observe the letters in my post box, and infer that the mailman, who I have not observed, has visited because I know that the mailman delivers the letters. But what that has to so with whether my knowledge is subjective or not is more than I can see. So, since I have told you what I think "subjective knowledge" means, namely that I subjectively know something if when I believe I know it then I know it, perhaps you had better tell me what it is you think that phrase means. And, if possible, what it has to do with the difference between direct and indirect knowledge.
boagie

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:47 pm
@kennethamy,
"Weren't we talking about knowledge, not just belief. I can tell I believe Quito is the capital simply by introspection, looking into my own mind. But knowledge is entirely different. I cannot tell whether I know Quito is the capital, although I can tell whether I believe I know Quito is the capital. But in order to tell whether I know that Quito is the capital, I have to determine whether Quito is, in fact, the capital. And how can I determine that by looking into my mind? Answer, I can't. What depends on me is whether I believe I know Quito is the capital, but not whether I know that Quito is the capital.Quote

Kennethamy,

:confused: Knowledge is what is known, belief is for the most part about what is known with the exception of religious faith. How is knowledge different than knowing other then being what is known. Tell me something there are two players here, one is subject the other is object, are you saying that object has some property of knowning which is innate too it?:confused:

"What depends on me is whether I believe I know Quito is the capital, but not whether I know the Quito is the captial." Who is on first!! I am trying to understand this but it really does sound like nonsense. Why would you believe you know something without knowning it. If you know what the capital is why would you have to look into your own mind? This I am afraid has degenerate into nonsense.Take the floor and explain to us how knowning comes about and who or what is doing the knowing,
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:51 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Only if A is you. If A is anyone else, it is subjective: unless now you have the ability to read another person's thoughts.

I don't see how it makes any difference who A is. For any A, if A knows that p, then p is true. And if A is someone other than me, whether he knows that p is true depends on whether p is true. If p is not true, then whether or not he believes that he knows that p is true, he does not know p is true.

Determining whether I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador depends on whether it is true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. And that cannot be determined by looking inside my mind. It can be determined only by doing something like looking at a map. And if you claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I could not determine whether you know it by looking into your mind even if I could do such a thing, for it is a necessary condition of your knowing that Quito is the capital of Ecuador that Quito be the capital of Ecuador, and I could not determine that by looking into your mind.

What could be determined by looking into A's mind, whoever A is, is whether A believes that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, for belief is subjective. And for someone, whoever he might be, to believe that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, it need not be true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, for it is possible (alas!) to have false beliefs. It is not possible to have false knowledge.

So, it may very well be that you are confusing believing with knowing, and thinking that because believing is a mental state which can be introspected, that knowing is a mental state which can be introspected. I cannot, of course, know that it is that someone else believes except if he tells me. But I can certainly know whether or not someone else knows something wheter or not he tells me because if what he claims to know is not true, he cannot know it. So, if the question is whether A knows that La Paz is the capital of Ecuador, I don't have to ask A anything, since I know that A does not know that La Paz is the capital of Ecuador, since La Paz is not the capital of Ecuador. Of course, if the question is whether A believes he knows that La Paz is the capital of Ecuador, then I would have to ask him whether he does. For believing one knows is subjective (all believing is subjective), but knowing is not subjective. And clearly, although someone may believe he knows some proposition is true, it does not follow that he knows that proposition is true. So it may also be that you are confusing A's believing he knows, with A's (actually) knowing. As Mark Twain said, "It is not what a man doesn't know that gets him into trouble, it is what a man knows that is false that get him into trouble". And what Twain is clearly saying is that it is not what a man doesn't know that gets him into trouble, but what a man believes he knows, but does not know because what he believes he know is false that gets him into trouble.

So, to summarize: whether a person believes, or whether a person believes he knows, is subjective. But whether a person knows, is objective.

P.S. I notice that Bogie asks, Why would you believe you know something without knowning it?" I would think that the answer is all too obvious: because you have made a mistake. In the middle ages lots of people believed they knew that the Earth was flat. They made a mistake.
Isa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Most of what I know, I have learned from others. I have very little direct knowledge of my own. Why? What has that to do with whether knowledge is subjective? To say that knowledge is subjective is to say that if a person believes he knows something then he knows it. But that is clearly false. I may believe I know that La Paz is the capital of Ecuador, but, since La Paz is not the capital of Ecuador, I do not know it is. What do you mean by the notion that knowledge is subjective. It is that I cannot find out. As I said, of course everything that is known is known by some subject (person). But by that meaning, of course, all knowledge is subjective. But that is just an obvious truism. I really do not know what you mean by "handling truth values", but perhaps this will help: to say that knowledge is subjective is to say the if it is true that I believe I know some proposition, then it follows that I know that proposition. Would that be what you have in mind. Otherwise, you will have to explain what you have in mind as well.

Kennythamy,

What I have in mind is trying to learn something.

The Truth concept before us has to deal with "subjective knowledge". Using your example A knows that p is true, is a statement about what A knows, not whether or not p is true or not: so it really can't be a falsehood (unless A is lying about it), nor can you prove it one way or the other (short of being able to read A's mind).

So what I am trying to get to, is if it is even possible to have Truth Values for "Subjective Knowledge" (within the two guidelines I have posted earlier), and how would you prove it one way or the other.

Isa wrote:

These constraints require that every proposition has exactly one truth value that doesn't change its truth value in space or time.

I really don't understand why you are so against me trying to understand someone else's perspective; to see what merit it may have, or what I can learn from it.

And though you feel that your answer is THE answer, this subject of "what is truth?" has been debated at least since Plato's day: and there are more than half a dozen concepts on this subject, and as of yet, none of them has come out as the accepted provable truth about "what truth is."

Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So take a couple deep breaths . . . and let's see if we can learn something together. Is that really asking too much?
Isa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't see how it makes any difference who A is. For any A, if A knows that p, then p is true. And if A is someone other than me, whether he knows that p is true depends on whether p is true. If p is not true, then whether or not he believes that he knows that p is true, he does not know p is true.

Kenneythamy,

Another way to put your formula: A is convinced that p is true. Even if p is not true, it is still true that A is convinced that it is.

But then let me ask you a question from another perspective.

A is convinced that p is true.
p is actually true
but A came about this knowledge by making errors in his calculations and just accidentally came up with the right answer.
Does A really KNOW that p is true?
0 Replies