Documents incompletely saved

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:56 pm
When I want to save a lengthy item from the Internet I do Select all>Copy, then go to Word and click Paste. This works very nicely except for long items - a poem in several verses, for example, and now a 12-page agreement.

The first page, perhaps two, and the last page are all that get pasted, even though I click Select All. Am I doing something wrong, or is this something that can't be accomplished?

I'm reduced to printing from the Web site and then scanning each page into my computer which is a nuisance, as well as fairly time-consuming.

Can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 661 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Wy

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:00 pm
You may have to select it in chunks and move it that way... Tedious, but better than scanning and cleaning up...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 06:56 pm
Documents
I thought of that, but part of the problem is that it's hard, if not iimpossible, to tell how much of a chunk is being saved.

One reason I like to copy/paste/print Web stuff instead of printing direct fom the Internet, is that for some reason my computer always cuts off the last few letters on the right side of every line. If I copy and paste & then print, the entire line is intact. Maybe there's some way to correct this problem - I've had it ever since I got the computer - but I've never bothered, because copy/paste is so easy, anyway.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:10 pm
Hi TomKitten

Web site resolutions are very often not designed with print in mind. Sites with a "liquid" design (where the the layout always expands to fill the full screen -- such as Able2Know or Google News) should always print fine though.

There is, however, a simple solution to printing those sites where characters on the right get cut off: Netscape Navigator. It includes an option to shrink the page's width to fit your paper size.

As for big chunks of pages not copying properly, that shouldn't be happening, but without knowing what sites you're talking about there's no way to see what the problem might be.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:31 am
TomK, why hard? Select a chunk, go to Word, paste the chunk, come back to your Web browser, and put the cursor where the end of the selection is. Select the next chunk... etc. What you had selected before should remain colored until you click back to get the next bit...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 09:54 am
Documents
What's hard is trying to figure out how much that I copy will actually get pasted. Too big a chunk and I'm back where I started; too small and it's gonna take a long time going back and forth.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:47 pm
Documents
Monger - Now I feel better. I always assumed the problem lay in my computer. Very Happy

As I said in another thread - someone ought to design an Emoticon that expresses great relief!

You recommend Netscape Navigator . Is that the same as Netscape? Or is it a stand-alone thing? I use MSN; are they compatible or does one replace the other? Confused

As for which sites give me this trouble, I can't remember specifically. If you don't mind, I'll watch for some during the next week or so and get back to this thread if I find any.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 09:43 pm
Well, one thing that would help a bit when printing from Internet Explorer is going to 'Page Setup' and setting the right/left margins at 0.

I suspect the problem you were having with copying & pasting everything at once was also an issue with the sites' design, rather than anything on your end. Wink

Regarding Netscape, the latest version is a great piece of software, but I still prefer IE (though I really wish they'd add tabbed browsing like other browsers have). Netscape = Netscape Navigator = Netscape Communicator -it's been called all 3 in different versions of the program.

I wouldn't be caught dead using an ISP that requires you to use their software to go online (besides, MSN is tiny here) so I don't have experience with MSN, but I believe you can just sign in using MSN then open Netscape and it should work fine.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 01:12 pm
Documents
Monger - I have never really understood about signing in on MSN and then going to Opera, Netscape, etc. MSN is based on Internet Explorer, and I could use that, but I need to sign up for a Microsoft Passport which is a thing I never quite figured out. Rolling Eyes

I think my middle name is Bewilderment. Confused Confused
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:02 pm
documents
Fortunately, I can copy and paste two excellent computer newsletters, LangaList, and Weekly Wambooli Salad, intact. Very Happy
0 Replies