MEMORY Question

neo

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:12 am
i have a Dell Dimension 4300 with 128MB SDram, i am looking to upgrade do i have to stick with SD or can i do DDR ETC, Also when i'm looking at the mmory specs, it say somehing like PC 133 mhz should this concern me or as long as i have the 512 MB SD or DDR i'm alright? What should i be looking for in a 512 mb memory to match my machine? thank you much
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:33 am
You can't put DDR RAM in your machine unless it specifically states that you can use both SD and DDR in the manual that came with the motherboard.
Personally I can't think of a single board that allows you to do this, but I don't know everything.

Next you need to check in the motherboard book how much SD RAM your board can handle.
It is probably 512 or more so you're OK on capacity grounds.

Then get yourself one 512 strip or two 256 strips of 133 MHz SD RAM which will be reasonably cheap, then remove the old 128 and slot in the new RAM.
Make sure it contacts properly and the clip at either end of each strip is fully engaged.
You can't put it in the wrong way around as it has keyways so it'll only go in one way.
If you only have a 100 MHz capability on your board for the RAM then don't worry as the machine will still be be able to use the 133 MHz RAM at the slower speed.
You can't put 100 MHz RAM into a machine with a non-switching 133 MHz bus though or it will damage the RAM.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:36 am
With a Dell it's all pretty easy to figure out.

Go to their Hardware Upgrade WWW site and enter the service Tag number of your PC (it should be located on a tag on the side or back of the PC) and choose a "Memory" upgrade in Step 2.

After you click on the "Buy" link their system will give you back their part # and specs for the memory module that fits your machine. You'll have to decide how much memory you want to put in but you also want to match the correct memory type and speed.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:42 am
Wow !
I didn't know Dell ran a service like that.
Excellent.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:50 am
It's really pretty slcik. I don't know why other system makers don't do something similar. You can create an account and track your PC on their system too. All you have to do is pop in every few montsh and their site will tell you if there are upgraded drivers, etc.. for your system (for the original components only!). It's kinda nice to be able to find BIOS, Sound, Video, etc.. drivers all in one place.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:54 pm
I ran this search at www.crucial.com. You put in your computer manufacturer, type and model, and it comes up with what memory would work for you.

Click Here for the search results.
0 Replies