Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:35 pm
Here is the actual text of the Special Education Laws of Oregon:

The Oregon Administrative Rules contain OARs filed through May 14, 2010

OREGON DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

DIVISION 15

SPECIAL EDUCATION

http://www.sos.state.or.us/archives/rules/OARS_500/OAR_581/581_015.html

There is an index here so you can find a specific section of interest and quickly go to it at the other link above:

http://www.sos.state.or.us/archives/rules/OARS_500/OAR_581/581_tofc.html
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:45 pm
This info may be helpful to your effort to get Mo placed in a private school paid for by the school district:

U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights
Washington, D.C. 20202

September 2007
Free Appropriate Public Education
for Students With Disabilities:
Requirements Under Section 504 of
The Rehabilitation Act of 1973

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/edlite-FAPE504.html

Excerpts:

Quote:
Who Is Entitled to FAPE?

All qualified persons with disabilities within the jurisdiction of a school district are entitled to a free appropriate public education. The ED Section 504 regulation defines a person with a disability as “any person who (i) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, (ii) has a record of such an impairment, or (iii) is regarded as having such an impairment.” 3

Quote:
Section 504 requires the use of evaluation and placement procedures that ensure that children are not misclassified, unnecessarily labeled as having a disability, or incorrectly placed, based on inappropriate selection, administration, or interpretation of evaluation materials.

An individual evaluation must be conducted before any action is taken with respect to the initial placement of a child who has a disability, or before any significant change in that placement.

Recipients of ED funds must establish standards and procedures for initial and continuing evaluations and placement decisions regarding persons who, because of a disability, need or are believed to need special education or related services.

These procedures must ensure that tests and other evaluation materials:

* have been validated for the specific purpose for which they are used, and are administered by trained personnel in conformance with the instructions provided by their producer;

* are tailored to assess specific areas of education need and are not designed merely to provide a single general intelligence quotient; and

* are selected and administered so as best to ensure that, when a test is administered to a student with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills, the test results accurately reflect the student’s aptitude or achievement level or whatever other factor the test purports to measure, rather than reflecting the student’s impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills (except where those skills are the factors that the test purports to measure).

Recipients must draw upon a variety of sources in the evaluation and placement process so that the possibility of error is minimized. All significant factors related to the learning process must be considered.

These sources and factors include, for example, aptitude and achievement tests, teacher recommendations, physical condition, social and cultural background, and adaptive behavior. “Adaptive behavior is the effectiveness with which the individual meets the standards of personal independence and social responsibility expected of his or her age and cultural group.” (See Appendix A to 34 CFR Part 104 Evaluation and Placement.)

Information from all sources must be documented and considered by a group of knowledgeable persons, and procedures must ensure that the student is placed with nondisabled students to the greatest extent appropriate.

Periodic reevaluation is required. This may be conducted in accordance with the IDEA regulation, which requires reevaluation at three-year intervals (unless the parent and school district agree reevaluation is unnecessary) or more frequently if conditions warrant, or if the child’s parent or teacher requests a reevaluation.

Quote:
Part B of IDEA requires participating states5 to ensure that a free appropriate public education is made available to eligible children with disabilities in mandatory age ranges residing in the state. To be eligible, a child must be evaluated as having one or more of the disabilities listed in IDEA and determined to be in need of special education and related services. Evaluations must be conducted according to prescribed procedures. The disabilities specified in IDEA include: mental retardation, hearing impairments including deafness, speech or language impairments, visual impairments including blindness, emotional disturbance, orthopedic impairments, autism, traumatic brain injury, other health impairments, specific learning disabilities, deaf-blindness, and multiple disabilities. Additionally, states and local education agencies (LEAs) may adopt the term “developmental delay” for children aged 3 through 9 (or a subset of that age range) who are experiencing a developmental delay as defined by the state and need special education and related services.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
You are indeed the sort of friend we all need.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks so much, Butrflynet. We've done all that. I know the rules. Mo has had an IEP for two years now.

I'm just trying to figure out WHAT test they want us to do. I thought (think) the testing we did covered everything. We even went to one of the best children's hospitals on the west coast to have the testing done.

We received a diagnosis. Mo got an IEP.

For some reason they just ignore the results of this test.

At the end of last year his teacher pulled Mr. B aside and said "you need to have him tested". I had a MAJOR conniption fit. The school has ALL the testing results.

The other day I asked Mo's teacher to fill out an application for this private school I'm considering. She said "Oh. He needs a diagnosis before they'll enroll him." and I'm all WTF. He HAS a diagnosis. You've seen it. You have a copy of it. I sat down and talked with you about it.

I sent her a email asking WHAT does the school want?

She passed the buck.

To someone who passed the buck.

To someone who said we needed to have testing/assessments done.

So I'm all "WHAT testing do we need to have done that we haven't done?"

I can't get an answer.

I think Drew Dad is right -- they want a certain diagnosis and they're going to ignore anything/everything else.

The problem is -- I don't know what diagnosis will make them pay attention.

And I don't know how to get Mo to pretend he has something else so that he can get help from the school.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
Basically, Dys is right. It should all be outlined in the written IEP document specifically for Mo.

If the further testing is due to your inquiries about placing Mo in a private school, then the testing is probably for identifying and classifying his disabilities and educational needs, and how they can not be addressed in the public school system.

If the "more testing" response is not in regard to your inquiries about private school for Mo, the request may just be part of the annual review of the IEP that is required by law. In that case, "testing" could mean a repeat of the evaluations you've done before or it could mean assessment testing to measure the educational progress under the prior year's IEP so changes can be made if needed.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:54 pm
@boomerang,
Rather than talking to local teachers who probably aren't all that informed about the whole process and are responding with the standard "he needs to be evaluated" response, why not contact the people at the state level who work with this program on a daily basis and are very well informed about it. Here's the email and phone number of the person I posted earlier. If he's not the appropriate person, he should be able to direct you to the correct person at the state level.

Contacts

* David Guardino - Special Education Monitoring, Systems, & Outcomes - Monitoring Unit Lead Worker
Email [email protected]
(503) 947-5811

If your questions aren't satisfied try this regional center:

Western Regional Resource Center (WRRC)
1268 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1268
(541) 346-5641; (541) 346-0367 (TTY)
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: interact.uoregon.edu/wrrc/wrrc.html

Serving: Alaska, American Samoa, California, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Federated states of Micronesia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau, and Washington.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
The law says testing must take place every three years. We've got another year left.

The testing we've done identifies and classifies his disablitly. I know the private school doesn't need additional testing. They accept the testing we've had done.

dys usually is right. I don't know why he wants me to ignore him. He's right -- it should all be addressed at the IEP meeting. And it is.

But they still want more testing and I don't know what test they want and they won't tell me.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm
@boomerang,
I have nothing else to offer other than the contacts I've given. Sorry.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:04 pm
@boomerang,
You may wish to determine the definition of "testing."

Everyone is using words such as testing, evaluated, measured, assessed. Some refer to scholastic assessments, some refer to physical/mental skills evaluations, some refer to disability testing and diagnosis, some refer to progress measurements.

Also, I believe Dys is saying it should all be addressed in the written IEP document, not a meeting.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:13 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Thanks so much, Butrflynet. We've done all that. I know the rules. Mo has had an IEP for two years now.

I'm just trying to figure out WHAT test they want us to do. I thought (think) the testing we did covered everything. We even went to one of the best children's hospitals on the west coast to have the testing done.

We received a diagnosis. Mo got an IEP.

For some reason they just ignore the results of this test.

At the end of last year his teacher pulled Mr. B aside and said "you need to have him tested". I had a MAJOR conniption fit. The school has ALL the testing results.

The other day I asked Mo's teacher to fill out an application for this private school I'm considering. She said "Oh. He needs a diagnosis before they'll enroll him." and I'm all WTF. He HAS a diagnosis. You've seen it. You have a copy of it. I sat down and talked with you about it.

I sent her a email asking WHAT does the school want?

She passed the buck.

To someone who passed the buck.

To someone who said we needed to have testing/assessments done.

So I'm all "WHAT testing do we need to have done that we haven't done?"

I can't get an answer.

I think Drew Dad is right -- they want a certain diagnosis and they're going to ignore anything/everything else.

The problem is -- I don't know what diagnosis will make them pay attention.

And I don't know how to get Mo to pretend he has something else so that he can get help from the school.

It sounds to me like a bunch of educators who have so many students they aren't able to remember all the details of each student's history without looking in their files so they are commenting and responding as if you are looking for information on how to get started on the road to an IEP/private school special education.

There should be someone at the school who is the overall person in charge of their special education department. Tell them what you've said here, that Mo has been tested and been in an IEP for two years now and that you wish to enroll him in the private school and want to know what other than the school completing their part of the application form is needed.

If the local special education department can't answer that, bump it to the school district then to the state and finally to that regional center.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:19 pm
I'd be conniption fitting big time. Maybe lawyering up, at least for a consult. And re-looking at that other school(s). I do get your asking them what test, a perfectly reasonable question.

Is there any 'patient'-client counselling advice available at that good hospital where you had all that testing done?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
It sounds to me like a bunch of educators who have so many students they aren't able to remember....

One would hope that the child's teacher would remember the results of the IEP; otherwise, what's the point?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
You're wonderful, Butflynet. Thank you.

I know the teachers are overwhelmed but it seems like when Mo is taken from the regular classroom every day for his special ed. class that the teacher wouldn't have such a hard time remembering that he has an IEP.

It's just so frustrating!

All I want is for them to say "You missed the FUBAR test. Without the FUBAR we can't proceed."

Actually, I want to keep him in public school. REALLY I do want it to work out. I'm trying not to make enemies at his school but I'm getting impatient.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Also, I remember on another thread on a similar subject where someone came up with the idea of connection to support groups of families dealing with Mo's diagnosis and the school system.. I forget which thread.
boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, and I do belong to a group which discusses special education issues.

From my discussions with those people I feel that I have done adequate testing. They know of no other testing I should have done.

That's why I'm asking here:

What test do I need to have done?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:43 pm
@boomerang,
I get the impression that more testing is not needed. What is needed is for one person who has the overall perspective on Mo's case and the IEP program in general who can answer specific questions of yours once it is determined what is the goal of your questions.

Are you asking because of the current IEP and lack of measurable progress?

Are you asking in response to the teacher's uninformed comment to Mr. B?

Are you asking about moving Mo from the transition stage where he's only in a special education class for part of the day to a full time special education plan at the public school?

Are you asking about the process for getting Mo moved into the private school?

It sounds like there are a whole bunch of scenarios all jumbled together in the question of testing/evaluating and Mo's special education needs. Each scenario has different requirements and guidelines that are mapped out in the links and excerpts I posted earlier.
boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm asking because the school keep telling me "he needs to be tested".

I don't know why they're asking for more.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:53 pm
@boomerang,
Then it is time to bump it up to the next level of bureaucracy. Good luck with that!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
Boomer, you've spoken with his classroom teacher, right? I'm unclear who else you've spoken to. Did you also speak with his special ed liaison (name should be on the IEP)? How about the school psychologist or social worker? If you have, and still don't have a clear answer, you could ask the principal.

I wish I was closer so I could paw through his files. Was the IQ test done at school? Did it include separate reading/writing/math/etc scores?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@boomerang,
Have they acknowledged that the testing you did two years ago is still valid for the purposes of signing off on the transfer to the private school? Maybe (I'm obviously guessing here) they want him to undergo ALL of the testing again now even though it's supposedly still valid for another year.
0 Replies