What is the name of this movie?

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
Well, I'm looking for the name of a movie that I faintly remember seeing as a child. It was a war film (perhaps the inappropriateness of the film for my age wasn't considered by my parents when they let me watch it; I'm 18 now). I know there are tons of war films these days, but it was around year 2000 ish...? But this is the clue with which I hope to find the film.

I remember a particular soldier that was afraid to shoot at the enemies. I remember a scene where he was taunted by his enemies, who knew that this dude didn't have the guts to shoot at even his enemies. And then he, after several seconds of whimpering (I think that's what he did), he shot one of the sneering soldiers.

...That's pretty much all I could remember. I remember some other soldiers on the same side as the frightened soldier who fought well, but that's rather vague...

It would mean so much to me if I found out the name of this movie and watch it again. It is one of the films that has struck me deeply (no wonder I still can't forget it, or maybe it was just the inappropriateness of the movie to my age..Razz) and it would be simply amazing to revive one of my indistinct childhood memories.

Thank you in advance for all your generous responses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 11,580 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:10 am
@qwerty0817,
Might be helpful if you could narrow it down by the year or approximate year you saw it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:23 pm
@qwerty0817,
What was the genre of the movie (docu-drama, science fiction, etc.)? What war was it (WW1, WW2, space)? What type of weapons were being shot (rifles, machine guns, lasers)?

With nothing much to go on, I can offer only these descriptions of movie fight scenes for you to browse:

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/002463.html

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnemyChatter
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
@qwerty0817,
There was a 2002 movie called "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson. I am not sure whether this is the movie you are looking for.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:41 pm
@qwerty0817,
You aren't talking about the map-maker in "Saving Private Ryan" are you?
qwerty0817

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:42 pm
To briefly specify the movie, i saw it around 2000, and I THINK it was a WWII film, so definitely no laser guns Wink
The only real clue is that there is a soldier who is afraid to fire at his enemies and eventually he shoots one of the enemy soldiers while they are making fun of him for being a coward...
I'm sure not many WWII films involve a soldier afraid to shoot..?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:51 pm
@ebrown p,
Did you reply to the question from e_brown? Was it Saving Private Ryan?
This was WW II movie, made in 1998.

Here's is the link to the movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120815/
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:33 pm
@qwerty0817,
Assuming it wasn't a theatrical release. Did you watch it on video or DVD or cable or network television?

Was it a new release (for that year) or some older film?

Were the actors American, British, Australian, etc...?

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@Ragman,
If it is Saving Private Ryan, it is probably the scene in the first 5 minutes of this last part of the movie:

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@Ragman,
I was originally thinking Saving Private Ryan as well and the 2000 date zeros it in.

The guy was afraid to shoot because he was not a combative soldier. He was an interperter so did not have experience in shooting/killing.
0 Replies

qwerty0817

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
I'm ... not sure about Saving Private Ryan; it was a long time ago, but i'm certain i remember the soldiers at the mercy of the frightened soldier were blatantly making fun of him for being a coward.
And to clarify, I saw the movie as a VCR or even DVD, and I'm not sure if it were new or not. After all, my parents borrowed the video tape from a friend or something...
There's another scene I remember; two soldiers melee-fight on the top floor of a tower (you know, where they snipe and stuff) and they end up locking into each other with a knife on both of their hands, trying to push it into the enemy. Finally, one guy slowly pushes the knife in to the other, and of course, the guy who got stabbed dies. This may be a common scene in WWII films, but it might give another clue to this movie that had a huge impact on me as a child.
Thanks again for support.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@qwerty0817,
That second scene you describe is also in Saving Private Ryan. If you wish to watch the whole movie to confirm this, that youtube link I posted earlier is one of a 16 part video of it on youtube.
0 Replies

Mick from G-Town

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:54 am
@ebrown p,
think so
0 Replies

FlorinMar

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 05:46 am
@qwerty0817,
Could you help me with the title of a historical movie set in England 1600-1800 with a woman (brunette in a sexy corset) who sleeps with a lot of men, even with an old judge in his carriage, and after he fells aslip she takes his sword and another stuff, and in the end she is sentenced to death (I forgot why) and the old judge saves her?
0 Replies

garry d

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:59 am
This is "Saving Private Ryan", for sure!
0 Replies