British Acting Icons and Bad Boys of the 1960s

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:08 pm
@firefly,
Yes, you are annoyingly adding to my list. King and Country, next...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:09 pm
This is bringing back some memories. I have a great video store near me . . . two closer stores closed this year . . . where an amazing variety of movies can be rented. I have thought of Netflix but, for the time being, the video store is fine.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:12 pm
@plainoldme,
Plus, there was Death in Venice..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Netflix is convenient for me, and, first of all, cheap, efficient. No video (etc) store near me worth a blink.
firefly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been relying on TCM and my public library (which has a fairly decent selection of films), but I may try Netflix.

I loved the British comedies of the 50's and 60's--The St. Trinians movies with Alistair Sim, Peter Sellers in movies like The Mouse That Roared, the Carry On films, the Doctor films, etc. One I particularly enjoyed, and would really like to see again, was Make Mine Mink (with Terry-Thomas, among others). Just delightful.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:55 pm
@firefly,
I don't know most of those, but I remember Alistair Sim..
firefly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:06 pm
@ossobuco,
In The Belles of St Trinian's, Alistair Sim played both the headmistress of the school (in drag) as well as her brother. In The Mouse That Roared, Peter Sellers played three roles (including one in drag). That sort of thing was popular at the time. They were funny movies.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:08 pm
@firefly,
I missed them all, what years were they? (just wildly generally, I don't care about specifics).
firefly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:11 pm
@ossobuco,
The late 1950's and the 1960's. It was a great time for British film comedies--they were very popular.
lmur

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:46 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

They were hard-drinking, hell-raising, generally gorgeous and very talented. Peter O'Toole. Richard Burton. Richard Harris. Michael Caine. Sean Connery.

And two of 'em were Irish.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:58 am
@ossobuco,
My brothers loved Alistair Sim as Ebeneezer Scrooge in a 1950 +/- film of A Christmas Carol. We all loved how Scrooge, after the visits from the spirits, stole an ornament off a neighbor's door and hung it on his own. It was one of those nice bits of business that makes a performance.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:59 am
@lmur,
And one was Welsh! Another Scots!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:02 pm
@firefly,
I remember hearing about the Carry On films and Doctor films, but never saw any of them..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Two tv series I was glued to were House of Cards, and Glittering Prizes. But these folks weren't the swashbucklers that are the subject of the thread, so I'll desist from nattering on about them. Indeed, Glittering Prizes, written by Frederic Raphael, are in my netflix lineup; Tom Conte a key actor in all that.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 11:51 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes, Welsh and Scots are British. The Irish - not so much!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 10:37 pm
Just returned from seeing Harry Brown, a Clint Eastwood movie set in London starring Michael Caine.

No, Eastwood had nothing to do with the movie but Caine played an Eastwood role.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 08:14 am
Another fine British actor of that era, and another hard drinking bad boy, was Peter Finch.
Lash

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 02:56 pm
Uh oh. Grave and indulgent ruminations are due here.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 04:25 am
@firefly,
Have you seen The Wrong Box? It's very good. Pete and Dud are especially good. I think Peter Cook is the finest comedian of the 20th Century.

Pete and Dud also did Sherlock Holmes.

0 Replies