Wicca, Witchcraft & Wizardry -- Evil?

bizP

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:29 pm
http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/05/27/wicca-witchcraft-and-wizardry-on-long-island/

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
@bizP,
Not Evil. Just a bit of Paganism and silliness.
raprap

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:44 pm
@bizP,
All religions can be evil--imposing your (preference here) to condemn your particular pet peeve(s) as long as it's between consenting sentient beings is evil. Indoctrinating dogma to the unsuspecting is evil in any (preference here)'s name is evil.

Today Wiccans are too much of a minority to attain wholesale evil. The majority of evil remains the province of mainstream religion.

Balanced article on the subject.

Rap
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:08 pm
Looks like someone's effort to drive traffic to that website.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:10 pm
@raprap,
All religions are silliness and have a long sad history greatly increasing evil in the world.

Wicca however is a very minor cult.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 04:35 pm
the very concept of "evil" is silly.
CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 04:40 pm
not evil.
federal reserve notes are evil.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 04:45 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Not Evil. Just a bit of Paganism and silliness.

What's so silly about it, I wonder?
raprap

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@CarbonSystem,
All religions are silly for the most part--the only thing about most religions that isn't silly is the way they say the same thing;

The Golden Rule http://www.religioustolerance.org/reciproc2.htm

Rap
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
the very concept of "evil" is silly.

To me it is evil to kill and or torture people who does not share your religions beliefs for example.
vikorr

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
All religions are silliness and have a long sad history greatly increasing evil in the world.

That's a common if rather difficult opinion to back up.

Btw, saying 'look how much evil they've done in the name of their religion' does not back up that quote. You would have to prove that if the religion didn't exist, there would have been less evil in the world.

Given how power works, if it's not a religion being used, then it's some other idea...like patriotism, nationalism, economism, freedom, our way of life, they're suppressing us, they're stealing our wealth etc, etc, etc.
BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
@vikorr,
Sorry it is not hard to back up at all as whatever the "real" reasons for the killing and the torturing it was the excuse of a religion reason that allow the ruling class to sell the idea time after time to the people who needed to carry it out.

The "converted" Jews was torture on the racks of the Spanish Iquisition not to save their souls but to seized their wealth for the Crown, but the saving the soul story was the one sold to the Spanish people.

Perhaps the ruling class could have somehow come up with another excuse however the fact that all down history religion was the first excuse reach for
by the rulers is enough proof for me to think that without this nonsense selling wholescale killings would had been harder to do.
vikorr

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 04:36 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Sorry it is not hard to back up at all as whatever the "real" reasons for the killing and the torturing it was the excuse of a religion reason that allow the ruling class to sell the idea time after time to the people who needed to carry it out.
Thatwas not your claim. Your claim was :
BillRM wrote:

Nowhere in your reply did you show how religion greatly increased evil over what would have existed in the absence of religion.

Mind you, Religion, in particular the Islamic religion, is still 'leading' to great evils all over the world, but is it greatly more than would have existed otherwise?
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:50 am
I'm not sure paganism even has this concept called 'evil' so it therefore cannot be judged by any other standard that what it judges it's self to be.
A Christian can judge another Christian to be 'evil'.
Same with other religious doctrines that include 'evil' in their edict.
As far as I am aware a Pagan cannot be 'evil' because they do not accept its existence.
maporsche

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:56 am
@sometime sun,
Not sure that I agree.

A newborn baby in Australia does not accept the existence of the Australia, yet would still be considered Australian.

There are truths that exist regardless of whether people choose to accept them or not.

I am NOT saying that 'evil' is one of those truths; just that I disagree (or misunderstand) with your logic as posted.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:01 am
i knew a couple of girls who claimed to be pagans

one was a beautiful sort of wood nymph girl, the other looked like hurley from lost, only with bigger sideburns
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:55 am
The catholic church forever has provided great examples which blur the line between using religion for power and control, or the religion itself being flawed and ill-concieved.
The interpretations sometimes caused the actions and tortures. It seems most of the time it was the other way around, carrying out evil deeds and claiming it was god's will.

We still have that problem, but now the game has changed. In the case of usa, instead of using christianity as our excuse, we just like to blame actions of few on an entire religion, a huge ethnic group.

But, pertaining to wicca, witchraft and wizardry. Definitely not evil. I'm not too knowledgable, but from my point of view it has to do with opening your mind body and soul up to the things that the majority of modern people seem to ignore. Energies of objects, places, supernatural things and events which are believed to have physical effects on the word we live in.
I have to say, I agree with very much of what I have heard of wicca and whatnot, but I don't claim any religion.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
People commit "evil" acts for gillions of reasons. I doubt they learned to do evil acts from Wicca, Witchcraft & Wizardy. A thing is not evil.
0 Replies