2 year old female dog won't stop pissing in the house

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:49 pm
2y.o. female won't stop pissing everywhere. We pick up the food and, water at 6:00pm and perform the last walk at 1o:00pm. She's had her shots and is never alone. she does tend to drink a lot and we have to tell her to stop. We have 2 other dogs in the house and maintain a walking/potty schedule. She just won't stop... She does it everywhere and I've about had it... Either it's the pound or a one way trip to the vet's. If it matters shes part Lab and, part Brindle Pit-bull.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 12,432 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@kingofassholes,
Hi, and welcome to a2k, king. I'm not the one to answer but others will be along.
In the meantime, we have a large pets section, which can be narrowed down to dogs, in the tags window (found under Popular at the top of the screen), and many of the threads are about this problem.

link here: http://able2know.org/tag/dogs/

Is your dog a shelter or adopted dog?

this might be closer to the mark, but miss many threads - http://able2know.org/tag/housebreaking/

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:15 pm
@kingofassholes,
When was her last check-up with a vet? If she's drinking a lot, and would drink more if you didn't stop her, you could be looking at a number of illnesses - several of which are easily treatable.

Since you're planning to get rid or her one way or the other, see if you can take her to a shelter that will be willing to get a urinalysis done.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:07 pm
@kingofassholes,
Did this peeing behavior start recently? Was she fully housebroken before?

You should take her to the vet. She is drinking and urinating a lot. Those are the symptoms my dog displayed when she was diagnosed with diabetes.

The excessive thirst is probably causing her to consume a lot of water and that's probably why she is urinating all over the place. That is exactly what happened with my dog--she suddenly began drinking a great deal of water, and just couldn't hold it in, and she began urinating all over the rug.

Your dog needs to be checked out by a vet. Other conditions can lead to excessive thirst, besides diabetes, and you need to track down the cause of her symptoms.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:19 am
Take her outside and pee on the grass, Hopefully she will copy you in senting the common territory.
kingofassholes

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:07 pm
@Ionus,
I think she sometimes does it when she doesn't get her way because, she'll look right at my wife and/or I and purposely squat and go... When someone comes to the door and, she is blocked off (because she'll scare the hell out of someone) she squats and goes... When she goes on her walk she'll stop at the edge of the property a go a lot. I could understand her problem if this problem started recently but, she's been doing it for as long as we've had her... She also tends to hog the food and water aggressively. I have no problem getting her to stop but, I can't be hovering 100% of the time and she won't do it if she knows I'm really watching. I've broken other dogs of this habit but, this one is stubborn. She's great with kids very friendly. I hate to give up on a dog (it means I failed her) any dog.
I had a Doberman/German Shepard mix my brother gave me... She was a 10 year old Junkyard dog (literally) and, she was a walk in the park compared to this one.
Another hiccup is... I've had a double digit amount of heart attacks and, between waiting for my S.S.D. and a lack of health insurance ... Money is tight.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:23 pm
@kingofassholes,
You're giving this dog a lot of credit, thinking that she's peeing all over because she's not getting her way. She's obviously ill. Call your vet right away, tell him of your financial situation. You never know what your options could be.
Good luck. BTW. Vets don't have one way visits from clients' pets. They don't euthanize because a dog is peeing in the house.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:27 pm
@kingofassholes,
Is it possible to spray the areas where she wees with soemthing strong smelling like disinfectant or ammonia ? Sometimes animals smell where they have gone before and think it is the right spot. Probably the best you could do at the moment is to make her a yard dog and let her drink buckets of water, in case it is a bladder infection and she is using natures way to cure it. Are there any animal shelters in your area who might help with a vet ?
firefly

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Are there any animal shelters in your area who might help with a vet ?

That's a good suggestion. The dog should be evaluated by a Vet, and this can be a problem when money is tight. In fact, more animals are being turned over to shelters these days because people have difficulty caring for their pets in the current economy. Shelters would rather see people keep their pets, so they might be able to help or refer you to a Vet who is willing to make a reasonable financial arrangement. Shelters often have dog trainers as consultants, and these people can also help with behavioral problems, like housebreaking problems.

Using a product to neutralize urine odors is also a good idea. Dogs do mark their territory with urine, and they can return to the same spots. Products like Nature's Miracle, are much better for that purpose than vinegar or disinfectant.

Don't view this situation as your dog simply being defiant. The dog appears to have some real problems, be they medical or behavioral, and both you and the dog need some help in this situation. You need to have the dog evaluated if you want to keep her. Call an animal shelter, or your Vet, and explain the situation with the dog, and your financial problems. See what they suggest.

0 Replies