A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 08:13 am
Just catching up on the sleep stuff -- yeah, my husband sometimes (not always) wakes up at 3 or 4 AM and then goes back to sleep after a bit, which is why I started researching this. It's not necessarily a big deal, if managed right.

However -- stay away from any kind of screen if you want to get back to sleep! The blue light does a number on you, it wakes you up and makes it much harder to sleep. Just lay there and think about stuff for a while (without panicking about the fact that you're not sleeping), or if you must, turn on a low, orange-y light and read or write some stuff by hand. No computers or phones or anything though.
George

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 08:52 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
. . . or if you must, turn on a low, orange-y light and read or write some
stuff by hand. . .
My Lovely Bride subscribes to this also. But according to the
red-blue-green theory, wouldn't yellow light be what you want?
jcboy

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:09 am
@sozobe,
Still the same, unless I take some of that new sleep aid by Nyquil called zzzquil. It really does work but makes me have strange dreams all night.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:22 am
@sozobe,
He should check himself in an asylum for 30 days for a complete evaluation Drunk
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:47 pm
@George,
Orange is the opposite of blue, in terms of pigments, but I've had the pigments-vs.-light conversation with E.G. before and I know it's not necessarily the same thing, and we're talking about light here. So maybe yellow light is the opposite of blue light? (I'm much better versed on pigments, color wheel and such.)

Anyway, doesn't have to be orange no, yellow is fine. Yellowish is better than pure white. Blue is the big no-no.
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:51 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
THE FACTS

In today’s gadget-obsessed world, sleep experts often say that for a better night’s rest, Americans should click the “off” buttons on their smartphones and tablets before tucking in for the night. Electronic devices stimulate brain activity, they say, disrupting your ability to drift off to sleep. But according to the National Sleep Foundation, more than 90 percent of Americans regularly use a computer or electronic device of some kind in the hour before bed.

Increasingly, researchers are finding that artificial light from some devices at night may tinker with brain chemicals that promote sleep. Researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute showed that exposure to light from computer tablets significantly lowered levels of the hormone melatonin, which regulates our internal clocks and plays a role in the sleep cycle.

In the study, published in the journal Applied Ergonomics, the researchers had volunteers read, play games and watch movies on an iPad, iPad 2 or PC tablet for various amounts of time while measuring the amount of light their eyes received. They found that two hours of exposure to a bright tablet screen at night reduced melatonin levels by about 22 percent.

Studies of college students using computers at night have suggested similar effects on melatonin. And researchers say melatonin suppression may not only cause sleep disturbances, but also raise the risk of obesity, diabetes and other disorders.

To be on the safe side, the authors of the latest study suggest limiting computer use before bed, or at the very least dimming your screen as much as possible.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Artificial light from computer screens at night may reduce melatonin levels.

Links in the original, if anyone can't get at the original let me know and I'll provide them.

Another good one!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/opinion/sunday/rethinking-sleep.html

Neither have the blue light info I was going for, and now I need to skedaddle....
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:16 pm
@sozobe,
Here's some blue:

Quote:
Any sort of light can suppress melatonin, but recent experiments have raised novel questions about one type in particular: the blue wavelengths produced by many kinds of energy-efficient light bulbs and electronic gadgets.

Dr. Brainard and other researchers have found that light composed of blue wavelengths slows the release of melatonin with particular effectiveness. Until recently, though, few studies had directly examined how blue-emitting electronics might affect the brain.

So scientists at the University of Basel in Switzerland tried a simple experiment: They asked 13 men to sit before a computer each evening for two weeks before going to bed.

During one week, for five hours every night, the volunteers sat before an old-style fluorescent monitor emitting light composed of several colors from the visible spectrum, though very little blue. Another week, the men sat at screens backlighted by light-emitting diodes, or LEDs. This screen was twice as blue.

“To our surprise, we saw huge differences,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/health/05light.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:25 pm
@sozobe,
I have taken some melatonin pills
from the drug store; no Rx necessary. Thay can make u sleepy
and thay can relax your emotions.

David
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
are they like a hash brownie?

but in pill form...

I'll see if wally's has them.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:58 pm
@sozobe,
My preference is a somewhat interesting but mostly boring book.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
are they like a hash brownie?
I don't have much experience with that.

Rockhead wrote:
but in pill form...
Yea; thay cost almost nothing; Melatonin 3 mg.
My research has indicated that there is an open question
of whether, at their worst, over use might cause your body to stop making it,
thereby causing u to become reliant upon your drugstore or healthfood store.

Rockhead wrote:
I'll see if wally's has them.
Let us know how it works out.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
ok.

you should give some thawt to a brownie.

it might do you a whole new world of good...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
My preference is a somewhat interesting but mostly boring book.
That 's a GOOD sleep strategy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:07 pm
just after 9 p.m. here in Toronto

doing a load of laundry Evil or Very Mad the old girl dog has taken to occasionally just stopping and peeing anywhere. nothing physically wrong with her, she's just old and occasionally very confused. she has a bit of dark/light recognition, some hearing, her sniffer is going, she farts like a dragon, but she's still soooo happy.

I have a stack of washable cotton floor mats that I layer on top of rubber-backed floor runners. The floor mats get washed instantly if she has one of her peeing inside episode, the rubber mat gets sprayed with that anti-odor junk, and fresh mats go down. Some weeks it's not bad. Today has not been excellent.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:59 am
@ehBeth,
Poor Beth.

One pee by viola seems to have destroyed my new quilt and a mop.

That's a possible score of three dead quilts to Viola.

Just got home from work....sipping a glass of wine....recovering from Sebastian's attempt to kill me by dropping a wooden elephant on me from on top of the computer desk. He broke its trunk in two places.

Am very tired...at least it's Friday tomorrow!

Enjoying the painting painter did today....changing external doors and trimmings to dulux wedgewood blue. Cos I'm by the sea.....and they desperately needed painting.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 06:22 am
8:20 EST in Westford MA
I'm on break planning a trip to MoMA this weekend.
Kind of a Philistine when it comes to modern art.
Nigel and the Lovely Bride will enjoy it.
Rhys and I will make up silly captions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 09:05 am
@ehBeth,
laughing at myself - I say that the old lady dog is nearly blind, nearly deaf, can't smell things too well, farts a lot - and say there's nothing physically wrong with her
George

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 09:27 am
@ehBeth,
Sounds like that missing poster for "Lucky".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 11:08 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
ok.

you should give some thawt to a brownie.

it might do you a whole new world of good...
I woudn't be surprized.
My life is behind me, now. It does not matter much any more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:32 pm
6:30 Off to Hannover to catch some English friends from the airport.
0 Replies